13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 5:03 AM by greaTm RSS

Network, hardware, and PS3 optimizing request for help

Jake02

Hi everyone,

Where can I find more detailed information for optimizing my system and gaming experience?

I know we can only do so much with the PS3 and typical consumer grade equipment and I am not looking at upgrading to professional gear, but I would like to verify that my (typical) system is optimized. I am looking for general and advance technical articles detailing different setups and settings and how they can affect the many different variables of the overall system. Software to help analyze/verify the results of said modifications.  General knowledge of cause and effect of network system tweaks.  I am not a professional Network Engineer, but I am a professional Engineering Applications Designer and have already tried many different setup combinations, but I feel that I am lacking the fine tuning aspects necessary to assure myself that my (typical) system is completely optimized.

I am NOT experiencing any network connection issues, and can get into games without any issues, so that all seems to be working correctly, I have a NAT Type 2 (Open) when going through the router (DMZ’ed or not) and a NAT Type 1 when connecting directly to the modem, but I did not really notice any difference – it is hard to tell just based off of gaming experience, hence the request for software.  I usually make one single modification and leave it run that way over a couple of days, but I am not sure that I am moving in the right direction.

Please only reference legit information – I am not trying to fool the system into thinking I have something different than I really do – just want to optimize and be done with it.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

• Re: Network, hardware, and PS3 optimizing request for help

It really depends on your modem and isp, I had problems on bt infinity, I had ps3 in dmz etc etc but on the modem that BT supply you also have to forward the ports to the ps3 to get open nat and all working as best you can.
          Try googling for set ups for your isp and or router.

Cheers

Jake02

Thanks,

My router and modem were not provided by my ISP (Comcast) I can provide models if it will help someone point me to some tech notes.

I did the port forwarding and dmz, and played around a little with manually traffic shaping, but the results would vary from day to day while testing the same setup. I could just about get the same results setting everything to auto-defaults as compared to manually trying to tweak different settings.  So that's where I am at now, can't seem to get constant results.  What about DNS values do they make much of a difference when it comes to matchmaking?

My best suggestion without knowing all your details would be this: Give your PS3 a static IP and put that in the router's DMZ. When inputting the fields on the ps3 i would fill out the DNS and Alt DNS with the settings from modem and in my opinion the most important thing would be make sure you are hardwired in to the router. That is how I would recommend optimizing it. I found that my wireless settings flucuated way too much even with the router being 15 feet away and my general speeds were cut in half. If hardwiring isn not realistic then your next best bet would be to get a n-adaptor for the ps3 if your router has a 5Ghz network segment.

Jake02

Thanks for the reply,

I am currently hardwired (CAT 6) with a static IP, but not currently in DMZ - I did test with it in DMZ, but did not notice any improvments with constant results, and my NAT Type was always Type 2 Open when connected to the router either way.

I am away from my PS3 right now so going from memory this is what I was using for the different setups

Connect through the router the primary DNS is set to 192.168.1.0 and no secondary DSN with a sub net mask of 255.255.255.0

Connect directly to modem the primary DNS is set to 75.75.76.76 and the secondary is 75.75.75.75 (Comcast's defaults) with a sub net mask of something like above but it had a .253 or .254 in it somewhere

So your saying when conecting via the router use the Comcast DNS #'s instead of the routers default #

on the bottom of your screen in cod bo it shows NAT type as strict, moderate, or open. at NAT type 2 on ps3 connection test my in game NAT was moderate still till i forward ports to ps3 if you already tried that sorry

basically when you check your settings you should get a static IP, a subnet mask and default router with DNS and alt DNS. Your router's DNS should be the same as your modem's in general as it is just copying the settings from the modem to the router. So I will use my set up as an example:

IP: Static to my router and in the DMZ

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default router: My Router's main IP

DNS: The  DNS told to the router by the modem

alt: DNS: The alt DNS told to the router by the modem

You can pull the DNS from the router's main page where it shows your internet connection. I would also recommend the DMZ even if you dont see a difference because some games can and will restrict you. the DMZ is a literal pass through and gives you unflitered access to the internet. For a PC this is kind of risky but for a Ps3 its harmless. An exmaple of limiting would be the fact that Black ops and black ops 2 list me at strict and moderate NAT types respectively even though I'm NAT type 2 accorss the board UNLESS I put my ps3 in the DMZ and when I had the nat types other than open I would get kicked from rooms sometimes and some of my friends couldnt join my party or I couldnt join their lobbies or parties. Again the internet test said NAT tpe 2 but somewhere how the server interpeted my data limited my NAT. Hope this helps!

sennalike

I'm UK based but I found the following works for me (which may or may not work for you!)

Hardwire PS3 to router with cat 6 cable.

Enabled UPnP on router.

Change router MTU setting from 1500 to 1472.

Set up a static IP address for my PS3 and put it in a DMZ through the router.

In internet settings on my PS3 I changed the primary and secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

Set MTU manually on your PS3 to 1400.

and finally,

Disable UPnP on PS3 (sounds odd when it is enabled on router, but it works).

It isn't perfect, but I dont believe there is a perfect set up.  But it does give me plenty of matches where the lag is acceptable (many dont realise you are going to get lag on the internet whatever you do!).  I also back out of lobbies where I hear foreign voices!  It's all about your ping to the host, the further away the host is the worse the lag will be.

Jake02

Ok tried some stuff out last night.

Using NameBench to help find DNS's for my area, and 8.8.4.4 was 2% faster than my current one.

When I would manually ping the two defaults from my provider the one that gets set as primary DNS by default would always get 50% to 75% packet loss every time, but the one packet that would get through would be twice as fast as the secondary DNS, but the secondary always had all four packet tests go through - no loss. Test several times to both at different times, and always had near the same results.

When I would manually ping 8.8.4.4 is was slightly faster than my isp's secondary default, but still only half as fast as the default primary.

My question is the 75% packet loss ( 3 out of 4 using the defaults ping.exe) through my isp's primary DNS an issue?

isp Comcast

Primary 75.75.76.76

Secondary 75.75.75.75

Jake02

Some more questions

DMZ or Port Forwarding you shouldn't have to both, right?

What about UPnP with using DMZ or Port Forwarding - on or off?

Tried different combinations and my NAT is always reported as NAT Type 2 (Open)

The only time it changes is if connected directly to the modem, then it goes to NAT Type 1

Thanks,

DMZ or Port Forwarding you shouldn't have to both, right?\

Nope only one is required, its really just a matter of security. PS3 and Xbox DMZ is great, because the router wont block any of the ports. computers DMZ tends to be a no no unless you want someone or bot to use your pc for you.

What about UPnP with using DMZ or Port Forwarding - on or off?

you can leave it on, it should open up ports for the devices on the router automaticly when it requests something from the internet. Example web servers use port 80 most of the time and the router will open that port for your pc so you can surf the web.

Tried different combinations and my NAT is always reported as NAT Type 2 (Open)

type two just means that the router is between your ps3 and the internet. OPen is what you want, anything else means theres a problem

The only time it changes is if connected directly to the modem, then it goes to NAT Type 1

pretty much just means your as close to the internet as one can be.