35 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 11:27 AM by FURIO RSS

A very interesting observation of the COD community

This thought passed through my head.  It's only a thought.  Not a fact.  But I feel this seems to be turning into a trend and I'm having major deja vu all of the sudeen. 

For the past 3 games in the COD series it seems that the same thing happens. 

-Game comes out and plays great

-Game starts to play really bad for some reason

-People blame the game's netcode

-People play previous game and feel it plays much more smooth than current game

-People make threats to sue Devs or sell their games on respective forums

-Dev's make tweaks and some people benefit while others still suffer

-New game get's presented through various trailers and hyped up to sh*t

-People talk about how awesome the new one will be/some talk about how they won't buy the next one if it's the same

-Current game gets tweaked so that it finally becomes "acceptable" to most players. But the new game is released within the next week or so.

-New game comes out and the whole cycle repeats itself with a totally new set of people but the same trend.

Any of the COD veterens see this trend other than me?  Same complaining but just a different set of people?

I'm not trying to start a flame war here but I've been on the COD forums since W@W and it just seems to be exactly the same every time a new game comes out but with totally new users each time. 

• Re: A very interesting observation of the COD community

I have seen the trend, except I have enjoyed all of the Call of Duty games so maybe my personal view is a bit skewed.

I do notice how the forums always react in this way. You missed a bit of a step though. Generally, the game gets changed to a point where it is "acceptable" by most players.

I agree. It is always the same ol, same ol. Gets pretty old too if you ask me. The only thing lacking in these forums are the OP/UP weapon threads. There have been a few here and there, but NOTHING like in the BO1 and MW3 forums.

r8edtripx

Haha, yeah this happens every year.

I, myself, haven't been a part of this trend, however, this year, I'm going to be extremely critical of the November 2013 COD. I actually really like Black Ops 2, despite it's issues, so when Treyarch does fix the issues... It's going to be AWESOME!!

I LOVE how you you have to keep moving for Ghost to work. Love the small maps with the Black Ops 2 Time To Kill. Love the Custom Emblems and the Pick-10 system and Dolphin Diving.

I guess we'll see, but I highly doubt the next COD will have any of these features I love.

I hope at the very least, Hardpoint comes back.

I guess I'll stop complaining now about a game that doesn't come out for another 10 months. Lol!

Will the next COD be on the next-gen consoles? I heard, the next Xbox will be out for Christmas 2013. Something to think about.

newm8n

the biggest thing i have seen is that people always complain about the new title and threaten to go back to the last one. though when the previous one came out they said the same thing about it.  when 2013 comes out everyone will threaten go back to bo2 until they fix it. guarantee it

mike\

Happens every year. While a game is current, people do nothing but complain about it, but when a new title is released people trash talk it and bang on about wanting the old title back.

People get in to a comfort zone, and on unfamiliar maps, guns, mechanics etc. it's much harder to be a one man wrecking crew with a KD of 5 and a MOAB count in the thousands, and when they're only going around 2KD in Black Ops 2 it's suddenly the worst game of all time, that is until they learn the maps, guns, mechanics and start playing better (Until next years title).

I would however, prefer less frequent releases with more content.

True, but I'm glad to say other than MW3 I wasn't in this group. Black Ops II is a step back from others in terms of connectivity and that's my gripe. Treyarch and Infinity Ward - stop it with the theater mode if necessary. But before doing so, dump all of this YouTube/Facebook crap that surely has to be slowing the game down. I know this may not be the issue but it seems as if the CoD series becomes worst connectivity wise each time they announce a "social" app.

highlandsparky

Sure is....Pretty much a Groundhog year.....

I like the game....My biggest issue with this title is host migrations and host disconnections, seems to happen far to frequently for me and made the title pretty much un-enjoyable.

Much like each game that is released, it will come with a number of issues that will get resolved in time.  I just don't see the point in all the threads that just end up trying to bash the developers like that will get things solved.  The, "FIX YOUR GAME OR I'M NEVAR BYING ANOTHER COD EVARR!!1ONE" threads  don't get anything fixed yet they still keep happening.  I think some of the COD community just needs to grow up and stop feeling so self entitled.

highlandsparky

asianman12 wrote:

Much like each game that is released, it will come with a number of issues that will get resolved in time.  I just don't see the point in all the threads that just end up trying to bash the developers like that will get things solved.

I agree, For now it's stopped me playing this title, but I'm not one for shedding tears over a game...If it's fixed, it's fixed, if not.....I couldn't care less, It's a £40 game...Supposing I only got 2hrs of game time a month it's value for money.

The, "FIX YOUR GAME OR I'M NEVAR BYING ANOTHER COD EVARR!!1ONE" threads  don't get anything fixed yet they still keep happening.  I think some of the COD community just needs to grow up and stop feeling so self entitled.

These make me laugh, but they do become very tiresome...If they hate it, don't play it....pretty simple really. I'm sure the individuals who create these threads are possibly the first ones in line for the next title...

Yea I don't get why people that complain feel they get jipped out of their "hard earned money"(even though most of the time it's little kids that got it bought for them by their neglectful parents).  There are two other modes in this game that encompass part of the whole purchase. Zombies and Campaign.  They should try to play those a little bit.  Get their money's worth.

^that.....spot on Asia

Yep your correct, same every year.

No surprise, its basically the same game every year with same or worse netcode than before.

CowboySr

I would completely disagree with this timeline. The games always start off horribly laggy and sometime after xmas they tweak them and they get a little better. Most of the complaining is in the first 3-4 months. The prob MW3 had was the whole pay for elite scam that didnt work for 10/12 months had people furious. Its still crap . Coupled with lag comp and death streaks it was a weird year. BOPS2 IMO had the worst start for matchmaking and lag then all of the others combined. update 18 was the first that seemed to make a bit of an improvement, when youre playing solo.

Adeeez100

Honestly i never felt the need to voice my opinions until blops 1, when i could tell something was wrong. Sure early titles had lag as we would expect, but this was a new animal, something totally new and foreign to me.

Although i followed the forums since waw i never posted, not until blops 1 made me want to look into what was going on and me trying to find a fix for it.

I'm trying to think back...

cod 2, incredibly laggy on release, fixed i think a couple maybe a few months in, played awesome there on after.

cod 3, always had hit dectection and lag issues throughout it's life span.

cod 4, I think i'm right in saying played pretty much awesome straight off the bat, i could be wrong, can't really remember.

waw, Although not as bad as cod 3, i still had hit detection issues with this one.

mw2, Pretty much the same as cod 2 in the sense of issues and time taken to fix it.

And from here on in is where things started to go wrong for me personally.

Tis the CoD life style.

New titles comes out. ---> People play and complain for a month. ---> Say they won't buy the next CoD title. ---> New CoD trailer comes out. ---> People who said they won't buy next title get hyped up. ---> Game comes out, redo cycle.

Pretty much most of the people in the thread have said the same thing, because it's true.

I also know there is a picture of the CoD life cycle some where but to lazy to look for it.

CowboySr

I would argue the cirlce is more like this

October-anticipation grows strong

November-Game drops and is fun but laggy

December- lag is unbearable and complaints are at a peak.

Jan all xmas noobs are on and is laggy but they iron out some problems and the noobs make up for it.

Feb Someone plants the idea of DLC and Clan ops in our heads to make us forget about some horrible exploit goin on in the game.

March- DLC is a bunch of tiny maps noone wants to play so we are back to complaining.

April- Player count starts to drop, game play gets a little smoother.

May- DLC brings back 100k, gets a lil choppy, people hate new small maps.

June- Player count dips significantly cause parents make fat kids go outside- schools out.

JulyDLC brings back 40k- nobody cares though

August-Games run its course, few play.

Sept-DLC drop...Noobody buys, cause a new cod will be out in 2 months, why bother?

October- go back to top.

The problem with these games is they arent tested anymore, the DLC comes out wayyyyyy too late, and by the time they player base gets down to where its not laggy anymore, its way past its peak.

COD 4 is still the best cod by far IMO.  It was my first one, and it seemed as if I could play that game all night long, now with these newer cods I can hardly play more than 2 hrs straight before I get angry.

It is. Well I don't know this - I just kind of guessed it would have been like this from what others have said.

I've only played 3arc!!! Various situations occurred that meant BOps2 is the first CoD I've played online since WaW (broken Xbox, not buying Xbox Live etc) and it does seem really bad compared to what I remember in WaW. Activision have become victims of their own success. It seems the only people who can be really good are the typical American pros who always have a perfect connection because of their location and the fact they run private games.

Once anything like this becomes universally known it becomes full of children. Just look at Facebook. It used to be an incredibly useful social tool in 2007 then slowly turned into a noob fest of 10 year old children and 50 year old women.

Now all I hear all the time on Mics on BOps2 are kids who sound no older than 10 years old (I can hear their moms shouting to them in the background or their little brother trying to fight the controller from them) - MY TURN MY TURN. I know this because my brother bought BOps2 on Xbox for his 6 year old son. All he does is play TDM, camps around and chases the red dots. He sucks (because he's pretty much a toddler) but he plays the game because the interface is too simple. He can get into online games with a couple of button presses even though he doesn't understand what he's doing.

Give it a year or so and there will be adverts and 'like' buttons. I will buy the next game (MW4?) because I'd love to try an Infinity Ward game but deep down I'd rather try a different shooter. If BOps2 winds me up so much then I should surely just play FC3 or BF3? 3arc will never fix these problems because they are sitting tight on what they already have. Wunderwaffe or whatever his name is doesn't even admit the presence of Lag so we'll never get fair treatment.

November: Everyone loves the game

January: The Good players learn how to get the most out of the game and the baddies start losing their **** saying everything is OP

Febuary-June: Complaining

June-October: OMG NEW CODS GONNA FIX EVERYTHING

January: The Good players learn how to get the most out of the game and the baddies start losing their **** saying everything is OP

Meteor hits earth and we all die

Cod4 :Best game ever!....hmmm nade spam is too much....m16 is too OP...cant wait for MW2 its going to fix all of this

MW2: woo this is awesome. this is really pushing the FPS genre forward....hack lobbies are taking over....mw2 a broken piece of ****...commands OP....noob tubes are OP....spawn traping bullshit..BROKEN GAME!!..i cant wait for black ops its going to fix all of this.

BO: wow what a breath of fresh air....am i shooting a pellet gun? wtf is with the foot steps...OMG LAG COMP....OMG SPAWN TRAP.....famas is op..BROKEN GAME!!.i cant wait for MW3 its going to fix everythingMW

MW3: nice heres the smooth feeling cod i remember....wtf is with the box maps...mp7 is too fuckin OP....spawn trap OMG!.. ACR IS OP OMG LAG COMP..BROKEN GAME!!..i cant wait for BO2 its goin to fix everything....

BO2: NOW HERE WE GO...this is nice and balanced...ok wtf....PDW IS OP....FAL IS OP! SPAWN TRAP WTF!! LAG COMP OMG!!!...BROKEN GAME!!