So friggin awesome! I want this game now, haha. And man, over a 100 characters is insane. I've been trying to come up with a list of 100 characters that are likely to get in the game and I only got to about 55 without doing alternate costumes. So, I'm feeling optmistic about getting classic Hawkeye costume and Mockingbird! I hope they start announcing characters soon. By the way, here's a little video!
@ Hawk - that is a cool video. I love Hulk's LEGO look! I wonder if there will be other large characters like Juggernaut,The Thing, or Colussus. Typically on the Lego games I end up using only a few of the many alternate characters but I think this game will be quite different.
Here is a little second had information I found that came from somebody who had the issue of Game Informer -
- Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Loki, Black Widow, Spiderman, Deadpool, and Wolverine are the only confirmed characters so far.
- Dr. Doom, Magneto, Green Goblin, and Sandman are hinted at.
- New York City is the hub world and over the course of the game, parts of it will be damaged and you can help rebuild it.
- 100 playable characters
- Hulk and Spiderman are the most unique characters right now. You can websling whenever you like. Stages have to be built around Hulk's size.
- WB and Marvel reached an agreement to have this game made.
- You’ll visit Asgard, OsCorp Towers, Stark Towers, and The Raft during the game.
- Matt Hoffmeier (Super Hero Squad) is the head writer. That doesn't mean that the game will have the same humor or characters, for example one of the yet to be revealed characters is a bumbling goofball on SHS, but in the game, he isn't. My best guesses are Dr. Doom, MODOK, or Abomination
- Loki has been captured and depowered. He wants to return to Asgard, so he teams up with someone (Dr. Doom?) to take down the Avengers. Meanwhile, Galactus is on his way to earth.
- Magneto and Sandman are not revealed, but they’re in the game. During a demo they saw, a giant metal wall had a dotted M on it and one of the screenshots shows Grand Central Station filled with sand.
Yeah I'd assume it's pretty similar. Lego Batman 2 had something like that and I would think that the Marvel game has more in common with that just because of the city setting.
I really like the hub-world in LOTR. It's almost like a separate game (becauase you can explore, collect bricks, and do fetch quests) rather than just an inbetween staging area like in Lego Star Wars or Batman 1, etc. It adds a lot to the connected feel of the game, although the story in LOTR fits great for that since it's basically a journey from one place to the other with adventures along the way. They couldn't have done the open world as easy in something like Pirates or Star Wars. I wonder how they will connect places like Asgard or other locations far away from NY. Maybe you'll walk up to a portal or some other form of transportation to go to those places.
Here's a few more details -
- The team wants to make sure that all playable characters are desirable so that players won’t just stick with one character (I like this one....hopefully that means there won't be too many "random citizen, or "NYPD officer" characters to unlock, if any)
- Can use Spider-Man’s webs to stick to any surface and swing wherever he wants
- Spider-Man can use his webbing to tie up bad guys and pull objects
- Spider-Man also has his spider sense
- “Spider-Man is quite possibly the most difficult of the characters we’ve worked on, but he’s becoming most satisfying from a design perspective.”
Demo level in Stark Tower
- Captain America and Tony Stark are working through different deadly traps that stand in the way of an Iron Man suit upgrade
- Captain America can swing his shield at enemies and throw it into special wall indentations to use as a stepping-stone to higher levels
- Shield can also be used to complete electronic circuits
- The two pass through a series of lasers
- Captain America redirects a beam and destroys it
- Stark can hack computers and electronic devices including a radio-controlled helicopter
- One portion of the demo features the nine revealed characters in a big room together
- Each has their own way of standing and idle animation
- Iron Man: stands wide, hands on his hips
- Captain America: grim and stoic appearance
Wow, this game really does sound cool. Thanks for the info, Jad! I'm especially liking all the information I'm hearing about how cool Spidey's gonna be in the game. I guess they know a lot of people are gonna want to play as him, so they're putting in the work to make him stand out from some of the other characters.