24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 12:02 PM by pauly02 RSS

Hit Detection and other stuff

So lets start this off,

Yesterday Morning I was playing BO2 and was having absolutly horrible hit detection. I kept switching classes and BAD BAD hit detection almost reminding me of MWR. I would be shooting first at a guy and it would take 10 bullets on target to start getting hitmarkers, by this time of course the guy with the SMG has already killed me. So I went off and did some stuff, then went back on. I joined up with echidna and was having some of the best games of my life! Every bullet that I shot on target actually hit them. I was getting nice high killstreaks and my KD JUMPED from 0.99 to 1.04 (OMGZZ). So while I was having this golden time, echidna sends me a text message saying he has TERRIBLE hit detection and that it takes "a full clip" to kill them".

So that made me think, what makes hit detection good or bad? Host, interent, treyarch, the server, my console, my part of the world? I have absolutly no idea.

*I will now spit out whatever else is in my mind about COD*

-Can't wait for the SMG nerf, I can see millions of little kids coming to these forums to complain that their SMG and we just say "Go to combat training to get better" but padiego would think up something where we all say "wish I said that".

- I was at a game shop looking at AC3, I am thinking of buying it and then i saw 6 sreens (3 back to back) with one side xbox the other PS3. There was a queue on teh PS3 side   But there was no one on the xbox side. I hopped on and the first game was halo 4. I played for about 10 mins and was ALREADY getting used to the controls, shows how easy it is for teh DA users, It took me about 2 YEARS to master the wii mote. I then played a car racing game where I couldn't find the accelerator and an old style mickey mouse game. Its nice to play a non violent game once in a while. There was a demo WII U there with super mario which is great, sell more consoles and games!

- I think they should bring back night vision from MWR. It would have solved the dark room problem in the previous "game" (I cross my heart by the order) and you could maybe put a dark map in to you have to use night vison.

-Headshots, Don't you hate in when you are easily killing someone, then they pull off a random headshot out of no where, then you look at the killcam and no bullets went NEAR the head. I think headshots should only be for sniper rilfes

-@nintendon't, when is the next corner campers podcast come out?

-emblems Some people look like they have put about 3 hours into thir emblem and others (like me) put about 3 minutes into their emblems (I like my new emblem) (psst, look at it)

I think that is it for this year, anything else will have to be spamed on miiverse. Sorry for taking so long (The hit detection is the main one)

• Re: Hit Detection

Why don't you tell us where you live? Echidna lives in Australia, where do you live?

I live in Sydney, Australia.

OK. The time it takes for you to get hitmarkers will depend on how far away you are from the host. You can know how far away you are from the host based on how many bars you have. If you have 4 bars, your time to hitmarkers will be faster than if you have a 3 bar connection. For more info, see here:

What this video doesn't explain is why echidna was having bad hitmarkers and you weren't despite both of you living in Australia. Without knowing which city echidna lives in it's tough to determine the exact reason. It's possible he lives in the NT or WA and that the host was in Sydney. If this is the case, the reason for your good hitmarkers and his bad hitmarkers makes sense. However if he lives somewhere on the east coast of Australia then it's harder to explain. It's possible someone in his house was using the internet at the time or his ISP was having issues.

I think echidna lives in Queensland.

Yeah I'm in qld.

Funny thing about it was, everything was going pretty good. I wasn't beasting but I also wasn't hound negative. Even my wiimote controls were off at the beginning but I fixed that and all was good.

Then my WiiU froze. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and started it up. Went for a smoke, came back an it was connected. That's when it went to crap.

So all was good and hit detection was fine right up until it froze (I think it was during a host migration) and then when I came back on all was bad. I think my first match back I went 3-18 but before the freeze wasn't going negative at all.

I have no idea why...

One of the great mysteries of the world.

7echidna7 wrote:

Yeah I'm in qld.

Then my WiiU froze. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and started it up. Went for a smoke, came back an it was connected. That's when it went to crap.

So all was good and hit detection was fine right up until it froze (I think it was during a host migration) and then when I came back on all was bad. I think my first match back I went 3-18 but before the freeze wasn't going negative at all.

I have no idea why...

So you think everything went bad after the freeze? Lastnight I was in a game and doing well (its actually been a reasonable weekend for me) and took a shot at someone when all of a sudden the screen went nuts and a horrible noise came from the console, all for about 3 seconds, and I froze. It actually made me jump out of my skin, the noise was that loud. After that I couldn't hit anyone. People who had died and was spectating me couldn't believe what they were seeing either. This sounds similar to what happened to you? Did the problem go away?

Not weird like that.

I'm pretty sure it went into host migration. Then kicked me and infinitlag to the lobby then it froze while trying to reconnect (music was skipping home button not showing the "no home button available" logo. Controls unresponsive. So I pulled the plug, waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Turned WiiU on, hot blops 2 and left. Came back to already being online on multi. That's when the problems started.

Was also playing last night with the same deal. It's just really inconsistent. Sometimes I'm beasting. Other times just good, and then I'm getting owned other times.

Really annoying.

Yes, I remember, we were playing, then host migration and you never reconnected, I thought you left.

My wii u hasn't frozen yet. I only turned it off once when it wouldn't upload my emblem, but it wsn't frozen then.

And its even worse if the host is on the other side of the world, anyway thanks for the video.

Thank you for posting the video.

nintendon't

I dunno when...soon...maybe. We've been trying to do a new one for a while, but it either fails or there's some tech problem. There's not really much to discuss plus we've been having trouble trying to find fresh new guests.

• Re: Hit Detection and other stuff

Your emblem looks more complicated than mine, lol.

4 layers FTW

Linyao

The SMG nerf is gonna be great maybe then some variety.

Suck theys are going to nerf the Remington too. I really don't use it that much, and I get killed a lot by it. But its finally a shotgun that actually does its job, and not a trolling weapon, and now they want to nerf it.

This smg nerf you talk about, and the remington nerf, etc etc etc , isnt needed - whats needed is for them to go backwards with the lag comp - its ridiculous

I posted elsewhere a while ago, I had a remington and put 5 in 1 guys head from behind and he DIDNT die - The gun wouldnt get me ANY kills - yet a guy on the other team was 1 shotting for fun with the same gun.

In an ideal world , we`d all have intsa ping ,no lag, and THEN you could nerf stuff that was OP, or rather overused.

Ive always had to use rapid fire or high damage weapons to get kills, simply because my ping ,when on a US host goes from 50 to 150, and the only way I can get kills, at least give myself the chance to get kills, is to use strong quick firing weapons. I get into the right positions over and over, and half the time my connection wont give me the results I deserve.

I played with FateWii and Anewstart360 from youtube, and another of fates mates last night, kill confirmed, the entire lobby was from the states apart from me, and I was 1-2 bar the time I hung around for. It killed me leaving, playing with those guys, but I was at least half a second behind and thats just crazy, I didnt stand a chance. I gave it like 4 mins and was 1-15, rest of my team was like 13-1, and I was letting the team down so I left town. Of my 15 deaths I should have had maybe 10 kills where I saw them 1st and got shots off - the other deaths I never even saw the killer.

Ive joined my allies games, and ended up on the other team - and they ALL tell me that I dont even raise my gun on their screen - its like im out for a stroll and dont even have a gun.

Ive said it before and i`ll say it again -- ive had the same ISP for the last 3 games and never had this problem before