30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 2:27 PM by PenguinAvenger RSS

Factors with system/patches many might not realize...

M4GNUM

There are a lot of factors that play into issues we experience on the U:

01) XBOX PRIORITY/POWER/EXCLUSIVITY

* makes me very curious just what Microsoft can control - what's the extent of their power/exclusivity and how does that impact us, patches, maps, dlc...and the timing of all that? I think it's obvious how much attention they take from other consoles. Given that's their biggest audience, I don't blame them. But I don't think one console should have that much of a monopoly over other consoles IF there are versions for other consoles. If they acted like Halo - then that's fine. Force people to get an XBOX. But IF you offer it on other consoles, that exclusivity should be thrown out the window. Simple analogy is if you have one child or two. If one child - he/she gets all the attention. If two children - share the love equally.

02) NEW GAME

* new games have issues - most of the time anyway. They typically need patches, etc. Some get fixed - some never get fixed. I think it was rushed given the amount of consoles and the complexity of the game itself. More consoles = more versions = more fixes = longer times to fix. This should be improved, especially since the COD series isn't a brand new thing. Some core coding should be looked at.

03) NEW CONSOLE

* I think the Wii U was trying to hit a deadline and Nintendo was trying to fix their own issues prior to deadline. I think 3A didn't have all the info they needed, nor the time they needed to work with Nintendo to port and test correctly. I think that problem still exists post-launch.

04) ACTIVISION DEADLINE

* they had to deliver based off marketing and supply chain - I personally think our version was rushed to hit the deadline. I think other consoles had a rushed version as well.

05) NINTENDO DEADLINE

* they had to hit a deadline for the same reasons as Activision, but this was with a brand new console. Hence some of the U components not working/activated and patches to the console/software since launch

06) BO2 ISSUES

* not tested enough on all consoles - priority was deadline not solid gameplay. Priority is one console over another. 3A and Activision need to sort this out quickly. I'd rather wait for a solid game, than spend 1/4 of its lifetime dealing with issues and waiting

07) NINTENDO ISSUES

* impacted by deadline for both the consoles and their own games. Impacts ability/time to also work with 3rd parties and test properly. Basically they had too many spinning plates.

08) MARKETING - ACTIVISION

* not enough for Wii U specific ads to increase customer base. Low customer base = low priority = cost/benefit impacts on current or future work with that console. Microsoft has too much power in this regard.

09) MARKETING - NINTENDO

* not enough for BO2 specific ads - sunk their money into family-friendly games and the console itself. Needs to free up more $$ for ads. Need to create a better partnership. These companies have to know that doing so would bring more money for both. The success of the Wii plus the exposure of COD? Gold. Why they don't do that is beyond me.

10) CHRISTMAS LAUNCH - GAME & WII U CONSOLE

* see above issues involved with hitting deadlines. For the U, many bought bundled versions or one extra game due to buying the console itself in a tight economy. Buy-in was rather high. Not many got COD = low community numbers.

12) TESTING/GAME VERSION PORTING

* biggest area needing improvement prior to release as well as post release for patches. Huge need here.

13) GAME RATING

* mature title = less purchase of the game by a console geared towards family-friendly = low community numbers.

14) OTHER GAMES

* the Wii U owners will buy other games prior to this one, whereas PS360 owners will probably buy this one first

15) WE'RE YOUNG

* new game + new console = longer time frame for customer base to increase, as well as game patches.

16) NINTENDO MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER: Wiimote vs GamePad

* they dropped the ball big time. They were, in my mind, the leader in motion controls. Still are, I think. I know why they pushed the gamepad/DA, but they forgot their core - who they are, their core competencies, etc. To me, Nintendo = Mario and Wii = motion controls. That's what defined the Wii. They should have pushed motion controls further with the U and they should have included a wiimote and nunchuk if nothing else than to give their base the confidence they aren't forgotten. For 1st time buyers into Nintendo with the U, do you really think they are going to go out and buy a wiimote? No. Epic fail by Nintendo. This caused a lot of the wiimote problems, I think.

17) GAME/CODE COMPLEXITY

* everything affects everything else. It's not a simple task to "just fix it". You have to research the problem, find it, define it, see what else is affected if you change it, determine if it's worth it or not, fix it if so, test it, get it approved, test again, launch. This takes time. The better the games get, the more complex they are.

18) DLC

* 3A is working with Nintendo. Given some of the reasons, above, you can see this could take a while. As long as they are working on it, I'm happy. That said, I'd rather be told "No" than have to wait. But from what it appears, it's a "Maybe". I'm fine with that as long as a decision is made at some point. I don't want the next game to come before we are told "No" or it's simply forgotten. I still hope and think we'll get DLC.

19) GAME ISSUES - CAUSE/EFFECT

* if the game is broken to whatever extent or the lag/connection issues are bad...people DO leave. They WON'T play the game. They WON'T tell others to get the game. They WON'T buy another. I think 3A knows this and is scrambling to prevent this, to be fair. But it is a reason why the community is small.

I don't think Activision/3A is happy right now, just as we aren't. They don't want issues, they don't want to spend time and money on patches - that hits their bottom line. They don't want to deal with complaints - they'd rather work on the next game (don't blame them).

The purpose of this long, boring list is to maybe enlighten some who think it's super easy to do patches or make it too easy to point blame or complain. I too, complained A LOT before Christmas. After a lot of thought, I knew that wasn't contributing...so I had a change of heart per se. I hope others do too and better realize the broad scope of the problems at hand. Perhaps that will get us moving forward quicker to better gaming. One amazing thread on game issues will not be seen amongst 30 threads of whining.

END OF LINE.

• Re: Factors with system/patches many might not realize...
          like2nap03

Think a big part of number 6 was they completely redesigned the game.  Instead of just giving us another version of the exact same thing, they made big step in changing and innovating it.  I mean just the campaign alone and how it goes is completely different than anything before.  They added all this stuff in the same time that they would normally shell out the same COD with a different name.  I think that's part of the reason the game came out a little buggy.  Obviously they did test it a lot I mean look at how much stuff changed that is working right.  A lot of thought just went into the map design alone and the pick 10 system.  Trying to balance all that stuff.  I think that it changed so much that they didn't have enough time to properly test every little thing.  Got to meet those deadlines. On the bright side the patches (the two Xbox already got and the two combined we got) are HUGE.  At least they are working hard to fix it.  I'm really happy about that.  I'm not making excuses for them.  Just saying that I have an understanding as to why the issues are there.

Edit:  Also keep in mind that they made all the changes while developing for a console that they have never written a line of code on before (Wii U). 

19 excuses for a POS doesn't change the fact that it is still a POS.

Make all the excuses you want but this isn't ground breaking. This is the same exact thing that has been going on for 5 years. Try to fool yourself into thinking it is different this time. It's the same song at a different dance.

Keep making excuses for them, they love it. I suggest that you copy and paste this onto a notepad file. Store that file on a thumb drive and next year about this time pull it out and post it on the next COD forum because the exact same thing will be happening next year about this time. All the same problems with the same kind of response from the developers.

M4GNUM

I'm still confused as to why, someone who doesn't care and calls it such a POS, continues to post about it.

I'm not listing excuses at all - merely listing reasons and factors as to why things are the way they are. Too many just complain without realizing the scope of what goes into the game and all the variables involved. Many think a patch should be quick. Many think you can add in "just one more fix" to a scheduled patch. Many think everything should be perfect. While I wish those things happened, it's the real world and things just don't work that way. Eventually, maybe, as I think 3A is learning more and more as they go - putting that towards the next COD.

I think they should take more time with the games or have more realistic expectations in regards to tech dev and launch. While I love having a new COD every year, if they extended their launch window by 3 or 4 months...might deliver better. But you know Xmas impacts that.

All things considered and while I do have frustrations with the game - it is playable now and it is still enjoyable. No, I'm not the type to put 24 days into a game after 2 months...but I hit it maybe 10 hours a week. I'm enjoying having allies who know how to play and do call-outs, which is the main reason why I'm improving. I love the HD version, the campaign, and the challenge of getting my ARs gold no matter how much KDR suffers.

In the end, I got my money's worth and I'll continue to play no matter how many frustrations I have with glitches, SMG/Pistol players, or campers - that doesn't translate this to being a POS at all.

Then again, you bought all the games up to this one. If you so know this always happens, then why keep buying them? Just tell me that. And by the way, I wouldn't be dumb enough to just throw a 60$ game in the trash (being good or terrible alike). Who goes around throwing away games just because you don't like them? You could sell it anywhere.

Padiego

the

advertising has a lot to do with Microsoft. Notice how all bo2 ads have a giant smear of microsoft on them. keep in mind, when it comes to being ignored and given glitchy games, we're not alone. Ps3, pc...both ignored. bo2is the same glitchy game across all platforms, same lag problems, heck, same aim assist problem. each console has their own unique problems as well. You also have to realize that the wiimote was one of the reasons third party devs decided not to develop for the wii. Now that classic controller scheme is back, its more 3rd party friendly. Also...realize that bo2 is a tiny game in the nintendo world. Nintendo has a lot of their hands, they're codeveloping many other games and developing some of their own.

BobbyMcGee

Good post by the way, most don't take the time to get that detailed.

Wow, I'll be honest, I barely read what you wrote.  But seriously, you have way too much time on your hands.  You do realize this is a video game?

M4GNUM

The whole 15 minutes it took to write? M'kay.

If you say so.

Just seems like you're ALWAYS on here, and you have nearly 450 posts in less than 60 days.  Don't you have a, you know, life? 

M4GNUM

Yet you're here trolling, adding zero to the discussion in the hopes of getting some level of attention.

Yes, I do have a life. A great one. I make a very comfortable living doing freelance web and graphic design, I date frequently, I go out, I go to the gym 5 days a week, and I have 2 amazing kids. Seems like a full life to me, no? I tend to write more during patches in the hopes of improving the game and this is a hobby to some degree, so I enjoy learning and improving, as well as interacting with people who contribute. I've played video games since the Atari and Apple IIE days, owned the original Nintendo and every one since, so I'm a kid at heart. Always will be. That said, I only spend maybe 8 to 10 hours a week playing the game, so there's a lot of time left over for "life" in the real world. And I could honestly care less as to how you judge another's life when you know absolutely nothing about them. But if you honestly want to try and win the internet every day...feel free, I guess.

lol, so 'adding' to the conversation means fueling speculation by spouting theories based off of speculation and ideas spawned from having too much idle time?  'Adding' to the conversation is starting posts whining and blaming the game creators for why you lose?  lol, I'm not trolling and there's nothing to win so hopefully you won't make another thread full of excuses for losing.  I was just simply pointing out that you seem to spend way too much time obsessing over this stuff.  Maybe I should have asked, don't you need to get back to your life?

Message was edited by: PvtBeetleBailey fixed minor grammatical errors

M4GNUM

Your arguments collapse on themselves when you admitted you "barely read it". How can you have an opinion on something you didn't read (or understand) fully?

In no part of the above did I blame anyone or correlate anything to any level of my success in the game.

It's not an obsession, it's a hobby. One I can join or leave at any given moment. Trolling is when you post remarks aimed at specific individuals rather than the actual content at hand which is presented to further improve the game. All of your remarks had zero to do with the game or improving it, just me. I'm a little flattered, so thank you.

so in previous threads, you never complained about 'OP' weapons and blaming factors not related to your own gameplay for losing?  And actually i was posting on your content, but it was you who didn't understand what i was saying in my previous post.  I will simplify it for you.  All that you wrote is based on ZERO inside knowledge.  Just speculation.  Period.  To put as much time into it (and i mean overall, not just this thread), is reaching the point of obsessing.  I am also simply pointing it out and apparently, you don't like it.  So if that make you feel flattered, then, sadly, more power to you. 

M4GNUM

I don't believe I've ever complained and related those complaints to my "losing". To that point, I don't consider myself to be "losing" in this game and I don't think I'm a horrible player. I have complained A LOT about OP weapons, campers, etc. But you have to be smart enough to understand that's about promoting better gameplay/balance...while this thread was specifically about patches and how/what people are posting. An example - I can complain about campers because it's not how the game should be played and it frustrates me that those who camp think they are amazing gamers. Do I get killed by them? Sometimes, but not enough to correlate my complaint to my success in the game, win/lose. Same with OP weapons. My complaint is that, for example, a pistol should never outgun an AR at 40+ yards. Obviously that complaint is generated by me getting killed by one. But that's not my approach - my approach is to have that realized and fixed in a patch. I honestly don't care about my KDR, so my "losing" isn't as important as you are thinking it is. Balanced weapons, controllers, and skilled gameplay...is.

No, I don't have "inside" information. Do you? Does anyone? Isn't discussion mostly speculation/opinion? I posted this to see if there could be mature discussion regarding dynamics that people don't really think about when they complain about something in the hopes that there would be better threads, which, in turn, provides devs with more concise information, which, in turn, improves the game. People may disagree with what I wrote and that's perfectly fine. I'm not the end-all, be-all to this game. It was to promote discussion. If no one cares, that's fine too.

I'm indifferent to any comments regarding my time spent online or off. It neither pleases me or displeases me. You can say whatever you like - I'm indifferent.

M4GNUM wrote:

16) NINTENDO MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER: Wiimote vs GamePad

* they dropped the ball big time. They were, in my mind, the leader in motion controls. Still are, I think. I know why they pushed the gamepad/DA, but they forgot their core - who they are, their core competencies, etc. To me, Nintendo = Mario and Wii = motion controls. That's what defined the Wii. They should have pushed motion controls further with the U and they should have included a wiimote and nunchuk if nothing else than to give their base the confidence they aren't forgotten. For 1st time buyers into Nintendo with the U, do you really think they are going to go out and buy a wiimote? No. Epic fail by Nintendo. This caused a lot of the wiimote problems, I think.

I couldnt agree more with the paragraph above.  their success was motion control and they should have EXPANDED on it! I sold my old wii to upgrade to this.  I used the gamepad for about a day then went out and bought a brand new wii remote plus as it felt i wasnt playing on a nintendo system.  My gamepad just sits there and the fuuny part is that it costs about the same as the actual console! Thats when i got out of ntdoy...sell sell sell Mortimer! The gamepad should have been a later add-on imho.

I have a ps3 and i mostly use the console to watch movies and the controller as a boomerang for those soliciting at my door.....why are you ignoring the NO Soliciting Sign?  Take that...

But wat am i going to do with the game pad?  Its too big to hit people with....

Snowyday

Microsoft has got control over DLC and Marketing and get announced at Microsoft E3 Press Confrence that's it that's why we don't see it advertise on PS3 and Wii U but we might for the next game