1 2 3 Previous Next 106 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 8:58 PM by Eclipse115 RSS

MotD ADFGX Riddle

telixion

Hey everyone. So the Mob of the Dead 6 minute trailer (Which was amazing) released and in it we saw what is believed to be the loading screen that included a bunch of letters consisting of ADFGX.

Here is the combination of letters as it appears on the loading screen.

FFGXGD
      GFFAGF
      GGDDGF
      FFXXFF
      FDGFFG
      FDGFFG
      FDGGFF
      FGFGAA
      FXFXDX
      XFXDGF
      FAGGFF

AF

So this can easily be determined to be deciphered using the ADFGX Cipher.

So there are two things needed in order to decipher the message using the ADFGX Cipher. We need to know a keyword but more importantly we need to know the matrix alphabet order.

I posted this video to kind of help those who are attempting to solve this.

So assuming that I haven't made a mistake thus far (in regards to the video) we can determine that the key will be one of the following:

fedcba
      fedbca
      fedbac
      fedabc
      fedacb
      fedcab
      fecdba
      fecdab
      fecbda
      fecbad
      fecadb
      fecabd
      febdca
      febdac
      febcda
      febcad
      febadc
      febacd
      feadcb
      feadbc
      feabdc
      feabcd
      feacbd
      feacdb
      efdcba
      efdbca
      efdbac
      efdabc
      efdacb
      efdcab
      efcdba
      efcdab
      efcbda
      efcbad
      efcadb
      efcabd
      efbdca
      efbdac
      efbcda
      efbcad
      efbadc
      efbacd
      efadcb
      efadbc
      efabdc
      efabcd
      efacbd
      efacdb

However this is of little use to us if we don't know the order in which the alphabet lies in the 5X5 matrix. So that is where I am coming to the community to work on this. If you have any questions or notice anything wrong please let me know and Ill do my best to help.

Here is the cipher text to decode:

FGGFFFFFFXFFFGFDDDGXFAGFDXGGGFFXGADXFFGGXDGGGGFFFFADGFADFFFGGFAXFFF
        • 1. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle
          blablatj

Hey good info.

But I'm not sure why you are using those letters for the key.

There was an earlier post with some info that might help you:

http://community.callofduty.com/message/414306975#414306975

• 2. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle
            telixion

I explained it in the video but Ill explain it here as well.

The actual word itself doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is the position of the letters alphabetically. So from looking at the given code we see "A" and "F" are in the last collumn. What that means is that since that is the alphebitized format we see that the last two would have had to be in the front (because they have the A and F) and since they are positioned in the back we know that those two are higher up alphabetically than the other four. So with that information (which I just re-read and.. well good luck understanding) you can come up with every variation that would match the given code. Which are those 48 keys.

• 3. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle

I ran this idea through an adfgx cipher solver using each possible keyword, then ran each answer through a substitution cipher solver. Unfortunately, there were no good results. All I kept getting was strings of random words. It was a good idea though.

• 4. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle
                Cheesegrater28

I think the decoded message is still coded, like a cryptogram. I messed around with it for a good bit and couldn't get any combination to look like real words, so there must be a way to decode it after we solve the cypher. So its probably almost impossible to solve without a keyword.

• 5. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle
                  GulfCoastGirl

Adamjstone wrote:

I ran this idea through an adfgx cipher solver using each possible keyword,

Please define "each possible keyword" ... because that's ^^^^  a pretty bold statement right there

• 6. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle

Have a look at the original post. Going by his theory, there are only a handful of possible keywords, which he has listed. The actual keyword doesn't affect the outcome. It's only the order of the letters alphabetically. The keyword ZOMBIE would give the same result as FEDACB. I just tried each keyword in the OP and ran the result through a substitution cipher to get around the possible custom polybius matrix.

• 7. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle

I have been playing around with this for days now... I have an image of the 'Escape Plan' that clearly says at the top 'Remember this AL dont forget'

Also the left page states 'A Cat Has 9 Lives' other than that we have several 6 letter words such as Island that do not contain any of the same letters.

The thing that caught my eye the most was the AL bit in the top of the right page. This is not a simple spelling error, I am certain that it is referring to AL CAPONE as he was imprisoned in Alcatraz.

I have also tried using the Mob of the dead in the alphabet as per the requirement mobfthedacgiklnpqrsuvwxyz.

Anyone been thinking along these lines??

• 8. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle

I have been playing around with this for days now... I have an image of the 'Escape Plan' that clearly says at the top 'Remember this AL dont forget'

Also the left page states 'A Cat Has 9 Lives' other than that we have several 6 letter words such as Island and Portal that do not contain any of the same letters.

The think that caught my eye the most was the AL bit in the top of the right page. This is not a simpmle spelling error, I am certain that it is referring to AL CAPONE as he was imprisoned in Alcatraz.

I have also tried using the Mob of the dead in the alphabet as per the requirement mobfthedacgiklnpqrsuvwxyz.

Anyone been thinking along these lines??

• 9. Re: MotD ADFGX Riddle
                          formallyKNOWNasLukey

sorry to say this but your wrong 2 factors but on the right lines for the key word.

1st of the text is still in table form and hasn't gone through the last encode'n step, mean it reads left to righ, not top to bottom.

secondly your using the decoder wrong, if you put all the code in it will come out like this (numbers represent columns) 1111112222223333344444445555556666666 when you want it to be 123456123456 etc, solution do it one line at a time.

heres a couple of polibus input codes iv used

motb code (a starts at the bottom and and continues at the top)

FGHJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDE

Spiral code (a starts at bottom and spirals round)

NMLKJOXWVHPYZUGQRSTFABCDE

motd codeII (a starts at bottom but the nxt line above it)

VWXYZQRSTULMNOPFGHJKABCDE

hope this helps someone

1 2 3 Previous Next