15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2013 1:31 AM by radical_53 RSS

Playerbase too small already?

radical_53

It has been getting worse and worse for me to find a match, especially when playing with a group of people.

Hitreg is getting worse.

More and more games are lagging completely, up to the point where people simply drop off to find a new "server" (well lobby).

Search preferences? Well, I always had this set to "best", or 30ms after the patch. Now I often have to set this to 200 to find a match in less than 10 minutes...

I don't even want to start talking about the less-popular playlists, league play or upcoming DLC. It doesn't seem as if this was ever going to work.
      I'm rather sure it was a software quirk / issue right after launch but right now, no matter what "magic" lag comp might do, the game simply doesn't feel good anymore and it takes way too long to find a halfway decent game.

It also seems as if the same maps were coming up over and over, maybe due to frequent lobby changes. It's no fun the way it is right now, really.

Neither me or my friends have played this a lot in the last 4 weeks, due to these issues, and I'm not even sure we'd be playing at all 4 weeks from now.

The previous Black Ops was great and fun even after two years, the new one seems to be flat and almost dead after not even 6 months.

If Battlefield is going the Call of Duty route, this Call of Duty is going the Battlefield route for me... dead after half a year.

• Re: Playerbase too small already?

I think the problem is due to a number of factors and playerbase compounds them rather than causes them. Lag is one thing as you say, since people get justifiably annoyed at getting spanked and know the easy way to resolve it is to just quit and reconnect to a server that gives them better conditions.

Other problems are the players themselves whereby there seems to be a large number of players who don't choose the right weapon for the map and consequently quit after getting owned by another of the problems which is parties or clans going onto servers with the seemingly soul intent of spawn capping the arse out of the opposing team with rapid fire smg's and then congratulating their low skills noobishness with assorted 'easy' type comments etc.

All in all, and with other similar problems included, it makes for a poor community and poor player experience that just serves to stop people playing altogether, or they server hop all night and it's hard for everyone to then find a series of decent games

Personally I'd hoped to spend time playing BO2 but in reality I'm just doing what a lot of others are probably doing, and that's keeping myself in practice and waiting for the next possibly decent game to be released so I can migrate to that

The should implement the option for the community to host dedicated servers and put the server list into the game, like they did in their older Call of Duty titles. But this, this is like playing on a console where everything is "simplified", yet doesn't work quite the way it should since they didn't set up the right amount of servers throughout the world. This really breaks the game.

Momba1

I am assuming that you are outside of the USA, and often during oddball hours or way off peak hours yep you'll have problems getting into a match. Now complicate that with a high score-per-minute party to find another high score-per-minute party -- pff -- yeah you're going to wait and wait.

Options - Try playing Ground War and stay out of the Core/Bonus/DLC maps with larger Parties. Try making your Party smaller with less people. Try playing by yourself. Try playing as a Party during peak hours. Try Xbox...more players.

As far as folks 'leaving' well I sure don't want to play as a bunch of randoms against an open mic Party (he's coming around the circle - get him - 4 guys spamming shots at you - duh), and NEITHER would you. The door swings both ways. Yes I often play as a Party, but what really pisses me off is when I play by myself and get spammed into game that's almost over and a r@pe fest with Lodestar, VTOL, or you name it; example - I stay on DOM just long enough to kill a Party's Trip Cap and leave.

radical_53

Well, actually I'm in the middle of Europe. As far as I know, most of the people on PC are from around here. Even if there were more people playing somewhere else -> pings are already bad around here. I was able to play Black Ops just fine on NA servers but it has been a nightmare in BO2.

Playing at odd hours hasn't been possible since shortly after launch but now it's even bad at the perfect time at night.

@molotov: You're right about the community. It was so bad around xmas that I almost stopped playing right there. The lack of dedicated servers and the even faster gameplay seems to bring the worst of all people to the surface.

Momba1

Find Friends in the USA, the pings are still tolerable. I play with a lot of folks outside the USA, but when we do I prefer to play as 'host.'

radical_53

I tried it and, as I don't even get along with "domestic" pings very well, everything overseas is a nightmare.

No problem to do this in BO, it still plays reasonably well, but I just can't do it in BO2.

Typically I'm the one to "host" a party too, as I usually get the best/stable latency, but even that doesn't help much anymore. If there's no good game available (with funky answers like "checking 1/1 games available", funny) there's only so much you can do.

Momba1

I don't know what to tell you other than ... Xbox.

The next go around I'm buying two copies for myself -- PC & Xbox (720). I live in Florida, USA and my ping is 50 ms ~ 75 ms and the New York, USA servers are only a few hundred miles away, but there are times when some of the games I prefer and DLC have less than 500 total players.

If I was the only (1/1) one then pff what other choice would I have?

I have a very nice gaming PC but consoles are stealing all the players, so if you can't beat them ... join them.

radical_53

I never tried NY but I was always able to play with a friend on the West Coast with ~130ms. All major European cities are within a 30ms "radius" so that wouldn't be an issue.

XBox would be an issue though. I love the controller for action adventure, 3rd person games. I even used it for TES:Skyrim. But playing a shooter with a controller? Sorry, doesn't work for me (again something that's not working at all).
                                  It feels like I'm hanging upside down and have to play with some boxing gloves on.

Controllers are fine for every type of game -unless- you're totally used to something else. I started playing on PC with flight simulations, of course I used a joystick, later on even with a 2-piece (stick + throttle) device. Driving on PC? Well of course I'm using my wheel for that!

Honestly, if I had to use a controller to play CoD I wouldn't buy it anymore (or get it, play the singleplayer campaign and sell it afterwards). It just doesn't work out.

It's one thing to get rid of bad habits but I simply can't forget something I'm used to that's clearly better than its alternative.

Momba1

You can add a Keyboard/Mouse to the Xbox, but I'm not entirely certain if it's deemed as a "Unsupported Peripheral Devices."

radical_53

Let's see how the new XBox turns out. I certainly wouldn't buy any more games for a platform like this if we keep being treated as 3rd class customers (even if some things apply to all platforms, it's just bad service).

I felt so old talking about "good old times" but, in terms of shooters, the old times really were much better. Gamemode choices, map choices, maybe even rules or control over server stability and performance... happy days.

Black Ops 2 wasn't even out for 3 months before the playercount dropped to the point where it was "too small" for matchmaking to work effectively.

By the end of the third month in the game was struggling to hold 35,000 players. DLC 1 boosted numbers to 40,000 for about a week or two before they plummeted to 30,000. In the past month or so the playercount has dropped to around 25,000 per day. (and remember that's PEAK times, for much of the day there's less than 10,000 online)

With the recent change to hardcore (removing a good mode, ctf, in favor of crap, dom) the playercount is sure to drop even more. Lets not forget also that the next DLC will be here soon, which may boost players for a week or so, but it is guaranteed to ruin matchmaking further (splits the community)

Then you have to consider all the ways that our measley little 25,000 (at best) players are being split up in game. First there's what... 8 different core modes, 4 hardcore modes, a few league modes, and then 4 revolution playlists... That's at least 20 divisions to that 25,000 right there... Then add in locale and it gets split half a dozen more times (West coast US, East coast US, Central UK, Japan, etc)

There are commonly less than 100 players in most playlists. Only a few modes like softcore tdm and hardcore tdm reach any subtantial number of players.

The game is already dead, and everything that 3arc does just puts another nail in the lid of the coffin.

{bhc}max|co

d4o2t0 wrote:

Black Ops 2 wasn't even out for 3 months before the playercount dropped to the point where it was "too small" for matchmaking to work effectively.

By the end of the third month in the game was struggling to hold 35,000 players. DLC 1 boosted numbers to 40,000 for about a week or two before they plummeted to 30,000. In the past month or so the playercount has dropped to around 25,000 per day. (and remember that's PEAK times, for much of the day there's less than 10,000 online)

With the recent change to hardcore (removing a good mode, ctf, in favor of crap, dom) the playercount is sure to drop even more. Lets not forget also that the next DLC will be here soon, which may boost players for a week or so, but it is guaranteed to ruin matchmaking further (splits the community)

Then you have to consider all the ways that our measley little 25,000 (at best) players are being split up in game. First there's what... 8 different core modes, 4 hardcore modes, a few league modes, and then 4 revolution playlists... That's at least 20 divisions to that 25,000 right there... Then add in locale and it gets split half a dozen more times (West coast US, East coast US, Central UK, Japan, etc)

There are commonly less than 100 players in most playlists. Only a few modes like softcore tdm and hardcore tdm reach any subtantial number of players.

The game is already dead, and everything that 3arc does just puts another nail in the lid of the coffin.

And it seams, THIS IS EXACTLY how theyve set up stall since mw2,  quick sale bang bang , game dies, bring out new game (well a modified version of last game).

And were expected to fall for this crap every year.. NO MORE, NEVER AGAIN, we give them chance after chance to correct the mistakes they make with each pc release, but we know even on these forums and previous forums, no dev replies, no action , no support whatsoever, rip cod it was fun upto mw2..

radical_53

MW2 worked fine until the first DLC came out, yes, and its player numbers were far higher than BO2's.

As none of my friends liked MW3 we had been playing BO, on our own server, up until BO2 came out. That's two years and we still had fun, great games, and there are still enough good servers available to have a game now and then.

The one thing I won't do again, ever, is to buy any form of multiplayer DLC unless I can run my own server to make use of it. The season pass was a bad idea also as so far, all the new maps (even the pack coming now) don't look all that interesting.

It really seems like they're trying to cut too many corners here.

Games like MW1 or BO obviously lived too long to make money so they're trying to shorten the lifespan. They cut off too much though.

Games like M

Yeah it's not really a succes on the pc.

Small player base, due to lackluster game design :/

The reasons vary from person to person, but all in all, they could have made this so much better....

I have ZERO hope for the next call of duty, as I found both MW2 and MW3 not worthy.

I wonder how long it will take before I uninstall cod4/bo2 and just completely move on to some other FPS. Counter Strike is a bit dull to me, and BF3 is not made for proper pcw's due to suppression and sh!t.

O well.... time will tell....

radical_53

My only hope is that it wasn't that much of a success on consoles either. They had most of the problems we have on PC too.

I could understand many things but, regarding gamemodes, I can neither understand why they choose the same for each platform (as there are far more Hardcore players on PC than anywhere else), nor do I understand why they never included any mixed mode there (Team Tactical / Moshpit).

Yesterday I talked to the friends I usually play with and not a single one of us would pre-order another "big shooter" anymore, let alone DLC (season passes and so on). It just doesn't make sense if you're being treated this way, as a customer.