15 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2013 11:00 PM by ab36 RSS

Xbox One Online play with Xbox 360 ?

LtgMcINTEL

Hey guys & girls.

So the big Q's here is will people "like my self" that get the Xbox One be able to play online with our friends that still own the xbox 360?

Now my thinking behind this is, the Xbox One uses Xbox LIVE still & the same engine for both consoles I would like to say yes but it would be nice to get an official reply from IW on this matter.

Seeing as the Xbox One has dedi servers for all MP games I would also like to think Call of Duty: Ghosts will have dedi servers, which would of course mean no online play with Xbox 360 players.

Anyways let me know what you all think.

• Re: Xbox One Online play with Xbox 360 ?

People that buy the X1 will not be able to play with the people on X360.  Microsoft doesn't have dedicated servers for multiplayer, they have dedicated servers for cloud storage.  They can upload a game to the cloud and you download it, and the cloud run some of the games processing while you are playing the game such as textures and data transfer.  CODG will most likely still have P2P servers for multiplayer.

maccabi

no it wont be possible

theres features in the next gen engine running on the xbox one that the current xbox cant handle..

the dynamic maps being the most obvious

also be very careful in assuming because the possibility of dedis is on offer they are a 100%

I wouldn't be suprised if CODG for the 360/PS3 didn't have multiplayer.  They did that with a couple of game when they came out with the 360/PS3.

rankismet

I don't know, Macc... I tend agree with Rally about how the 300k servers will be used. I don't think it's deicated gaming servers.

Then again... I could be wrong.

There was a Q&A with GI about the new console here.

avngr9

I think the goal for Xbox One is to utilize those cloud services for a variety of things including dedicated servers.  There's no way to say for certain which developers will make use of these services but it appears the capability is there.  Wired had a great first look at the system and this was their take on the cloud services.

"Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

But other possibilities also come to mind. If developers are able to offload significant chunks of processing power to the cloud—conceivably even fundamental game mechanics like physics engines or collision-detection systems—that frees them to use local processing for even more intensive processes. In other words, the possibilities are limited only by the imaginations of thousands of game programmers. “It’s not like on day one, everyone will have figured out how to take advantage of that power,” Whitten says. “It’s just one of those stakes we’re placing.”

As long as those things were implemented strictly for multiplayer, because if they try to offload those things for singleplayer features, that means always-online requirements for things like singleplayer, or local multiplayer, etc. Those servers could work but considering how Microsoft's own VP said that he hopes developers choose to use those things for their games, it basically sounds like a way for them to require an internet connection to play games (like SimCity), on top of needing to be connected at least once every day.

I would hope they don't try to integrate the gaming environments together. The technology gap alone could prove for some horrendous gameplay. Let's just leave the past in the past.

trollinthunder

Not possible. Link