39 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 4:51 PM by MLGTWISTED RSS

Dedicated Servers

rlbl

I have come to the realization that the dedicated servers talked about for the XBOX ONE are to support XBL...

Does anyone know if there are any plans to improve the connectivity for the online play? I am a PS user, but would make a switch to XBOX if the online experience is going to be better.

I am nt in the mood to buying another paperweight (a game I cannot play)

• Re: Dedicated Servers
          ghamorra

The dedis that you're hearing about are not for Call of Duty, they're for in-house support of XBL content. Also, you can't really judge the connectivity until after the game is released. Remember, all testing is done on LAN, or at least that's how they've done things in past

maccabi

ghamorra wrote:

Remember, all testing is done on LAN, or at least that's how they've done things in past

Actually thats not true at all, live tests are carried out in house

ghamorra

There was a big fuss made out because the Devs for MW3 said there were no lag issues at all, only to find out that when they tested for ping they were doing so on a LAN connection. There was a huge outcry on the forums after this, I'm not saying the forum is always right (it's certianly not) but I do remember this happening

Steve2589

That's the funny thing so many people have been talking about how the new dedicated servers for XBL will make a huge difference to CoD in game. It will make no difference whatsoever since CoD is peer-to-peer. If they implement dedicated servers for Ghosts then we will see a difference

rlbl

yeah that is the impression that I got...

I think my post is being misread (my bad).

I am stating that the dedis talked about are for XBL and not for online gaming for any specific game.

That said, I am asking if there has been any news about online gaming connectivity improvements (as a different subject). I htink the answer is no.

no matter which console I buy*, I am not pre-ordering any game.

* I am still leaning towards the PS4, because the entertainment features on the XBOX are useless to me, as I do not sub to cable TV (for the little I do watch, I watch everything online)

Steve2589

My post was in no way a dig at anyone, I apologise if it seemed like it was .

Just out of curiosity which console are you using right now? Frankly, I will choose the same as I did with current generation. If the people I play with switch to Playstation I will too. If they stick to Xbox I will also. And DLC will come out first for Xbox again in Ghosts so I can see myself sticking to Xbox

rlbl

I use the PS3... and likely getting the PS4. I did not buy the console stritcly to play COD (so I do not really care about getting DLC 1st)

However the expereience I have had the past couple of years in COD (which yeah, is my fav game) makes me want to reconsider my choices in the future.

The only thing that is going to become a paperweight in this generation of consoles is the WiiU.

ghamorra

I'm not sure if the WiiU can really be called a console. I find it to be more fun as an extension of the Wii. Haven't played it since release, so unless things have or will change in the future I think it's still more of a kiddie thing

itll probly stay as the consul for nintys exclusives. which overall tend to be best gameplaywise, and worst artstyle wise. sony did manage to top them in recent years though, but need to keep that going through the next 2 years of nextgen to get the best exclusive prize(doubtful). otherwise, get a PS4.

gallp13

Wired article has noted the server will provide dedi server for all MP games

Quote: Wired

Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

maccabi

gallp13 wrote:

Wired article has noted the server will provide dedi server for all MP games

Quote: Wired

Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

i really wopuldnt read too much into that wired article all they have done is reworded a bit of spiel from the reveal into something that should be an assumption not a def fact.

Basically yes xbl can give some games dedis , will cod get them i doubt it very much

gallp13

One can live in a little hope......

maccabi

gallp13 wrote:

One can live in a little hope......

If CoD used the azure infrastructure the majority of people would have a really horribad experience. Hmmm..Actually now i think about it, i hope it does as people will finally see what I and others have been trying to explain for years about dedis and location .

While this 300k server spiel sounds great at a reveal to the masses in reality it isnt that great at all, For something like an rpg or mmo it's fine but for a twitch shooter thats latency dependant like CoD with such a large player base its not so much. Azure's data centres are not strategically placed to aid online games really,The whole system was originally designed to aid Microsofts cloud based web services where location isnt such an issue.

While some players would find lower pings to the servers alot wouldn't and we wouldn't have anything close to the more local hosts we do now, As such the net gain from dedis having slightly lower pings due to the removal of last mile network latency would be removed in an instant.

Also you have to remember this system is own and run by microsoft as a business,(and one that generates nearly a billions dollars for them already) they arent going to give this stuff away for free, publishers will have to pay a fee for using it.

The second thing to consider is internet rage, could you imagine if xbone got dedis and the ps4 didnt?

I think at most we may find dedis used for a particular service but past that uh uh, the other thing that made me laugh while on the whole azure cloud part of the reveal was their comments about how the cloud will make our consoles more powerful as non latency calculations could be offloaded into the cloud,, what a load of absolute tosh.

gallp13

Excellent points all as always. Thx Mac.......

maccabi

gah forgot to add something.. as an examples sorry blame sun and alck of sleep/intake of coffee

Right microsoft dont actually advertise where their data centres are located but it's basically common knowledge (i've even been to one  ).

but as an example about what i mean with location,  Take someone in the uk uk players always complain about how many sessions they find themselves in with mainland european players or hosts like the french or spanish,

Azures data centres that cover Europe are located in Dublin Ireland (western europe) and Amsterdam Holland (eastern Europe).  There's none in the uk. so you would be connecting to either of these two places In theory uk players should connect to the Irish servers even though for alot of the Eastern side of the Uk the Dutch servers would be closer.. (so if matchmaking went by best ping you'd still be stuck with mainland european players.

For the anzacs.. the two closest data centers currently are in Hong Kong and singapore (although microsoft are atm investing another large amount of 100's of millions to get one up and running in Japan. So yeah sorry you guys are basically screwed in this scenerio completely.

for North America you have 4 - Texas, California, illinois and Virginia  ( which is actually where I sort of said server farms would have to be to give the best coverage of usa in a post about dedis ages ago lol) .

Everywhere else like south america, africa, ect you're screwed too, This is why some games that offer dedis also have listen servers for those areas as theres no dedis to use. (south africa being a good example)

But in all scenerios especially the American one the closer you were to the servers the better your ping, the more of advanatge you would have over someone, which would actually probably increase the need for "lag comp" as then it would really need to equal out players slightly better.

another point i want to add, over the years i've been given alot of stick about my comments about cost.. I've always said a dedi system for cod paid for by activision would cost 100's of millions to set up and a good few million a month in running costs.

Yes that cost is now gone if activision use the azure system (excluding the fee ms will charge to use it) but azure has cost microsoft billions to set up. Each data centre costs them 100's of millions, the oldest and largest data centre they have in the us is to date just shy of 950 million in set up costs as they have recently added to it.

gallp13

Thx again, both informative and interesting. Appreciate you taking the time.

gallp

alexjt22

I to have always said dedis wont fix everything that people think it will but i dont think they will be as bad as you make out, nearly every match i play in COD i have foriegn players involved and often in a swedish, french or spanish hosted games even though i live in the south of england so connecting to a fair distance away server will be no different than most games people have anyways. Also i pretty sure they showed a map of all the azure servers and they were scattered all over the uk and pretty much covered the world and at least we shall have a clean connection through to it instead of a host that half way through a game his brother starts downloading and the connection goes to sh*t and at least we wont have to deal with host migration every other game.

At least microsoft will own the dedicated servers so activision shouldn't be able to charge us or allow us to make our own lobbies & rules which turns multiplayer match making into a huge cluster fck like most dedicated servers games have become.

maccabi

alexjt22 wrote:

I to have always said dedis wont fix everything that people think it will but i dont think they will be as bad as you make out, nearly every match i play in COD i have foriegn players involved and often in a swedish, french or spanish hosted games even though i live in the south of england so connecting to a fair distance away server will be no different than most games people have anyways.

I completely agree with you here, its something thats been an ongoing "discussion" on the cod forums for years, people think just by having dedis everything will suddenly be rainbows and unicorns. Apart from no host dashboarding theres not really a great advantage at all some people will always have a low ping to a dedi due to the location thats it.

alexjt22 wrote:

Also i pretty sure they showed a map of all the azure servers and they were scattered all over the uk and pretty much covered the world

Nope the locations i mentioned are where the server farms are, due to the nature of server farms you cant just scatter them anywhere and all over,

alexjt22 wrote:

At least microsoft will own the dedicated servers so activision shouldn't be able to charge us or allow us to make our own lobbies & rules which turns multiplayer match making into a huge cluster fck like most dedicated servers games have become.

Thats the dark side of renting dedis the server is usually controled by the owner/renter.. but as i aid ms will charge the publishers to use the service, Azure is a huge money generating business for ms that isnt going to change just because they have allowed xbl services to run off it.

FalconR6

I have got to say that I can't see Dedis helping me out at all. Being 200 km from the nearest major city (crow flies - longer in Internet terms) - I would find myself  getting boned majority of the time. I just wish for a better way of the current system to matchmake. Furthermore, Dedis would kill the gaming experience of those who live even further afield of likely azure/dedi sites --> all of he inland county folk sacrificed for those who live in the city.

Even with my limited knowledge I can't see Azure being used for general population dedis. Special events maybe.

But you can watch T.V. Macc! You can watch T.V.!

dedicated servers, will be everyone piling on the smallest map, not worth it xD

otisman666

Also, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see M$ offer the dedicated servers up to this COD in effort to steer potential customers their way.

Think about the mad rush of COD gamers jumping on the Xbone if Ghosts comes out and says "Yeah and the Xbone, you will be playing on dedicated servers".  Hell, they might even go out and hire JD_2020 just so he can sport his Dedicated Server T-shirt again.

rankismet

So... wait before you buy it.

You're welcome.

starbuckfrack

I saw 6 games I would like to have . 3 of them available upon release. At least one or two more upon release or soon after. Two more released before Summer 2014 and SW Battlefront.

COD ghost

Project Spark

Rising Dead 3

BF4

Division

Titanfall

SW Battlefront

Forza 5

That Garden Zombies game,

Possibly later The Crew, Mad Max.

wiat thats more than 6

After seeing the graphics and some details I am shooting for getting the first one

rankismet

Spark looks really fun... making a game with my boys to just screw around in.

... but...

... Titanfall and The Division have me really excited for 2014.

gallp13

Project Spark is also on the Xmas list for me and my lad.

Also very exited about Titanfall

- Respawn (more CoD than CoD?)

- CoD + space opera + mechs - no bad here !

- Use of cloud computation to take a load of my mc leaving assets for other game features

- Using dedis for match making (the end of host DB! hooray)

I will get an X1 and ghost (both are on preorder) but this game is lookign pretty interesting to me.

Your typical call of duty drone has become accustomed to the half dozen host migrations per game , the occasional host lagswitcher and the inevitable games lost due to a host dashboard , who wants to trade all that for a consistent connection for hours on end with Dedis.

Were more than happy with an antiquated Quake 3 engine and a new host every 6minutes and 22seconds, also cant wait for the new gun skins and carried over BO2 maps for Ghost DLC.

Oh yeah dont forget the new fish physics. LOL.

XBL is swiching to dedicated servers for next gen. PS3 has dedicated servers atm, it is unlikly COD will use dedicated servers overall though but instead run it off there own P2P servers.

starbuckfrack

Actually though there is no actual proof of that. COD ghosts for example might run off the cloud to P2P (for a better choice of words).

current XBL servers can support the xbox1 P2P style(like they are doing xbox360 now), microsoft added 4x the servers which is overkill for P2P, so dedicated is very likly, but those servers are also unlikly related to COD's servers which XBL simply connects you too. PS3 is confirmed dedicated servers now, so PS4 is very likly to have them.

as for cloud, the more game logic that runs on it, the laggier the game will be, hence y titenfall devs current claims suggest very minor cloud computing later on, to prevent their game from being a worse lagfest than MW3. COD is cheap in game development to P2P is most likly XBL servers will help but the game itself wont run on them, halo might, cod wont.

mdub

T-boss wrote:

XBL is swiching to dedicated servers for next gen. PS3 has dedicated servers atm, it is unlikly COD will use dedicated servers overall though but instead run it off there own P2P servers.

Not sure where your getting your information. Microsoft has said that they are giving developers the option to use their Azure infrastructure.

You're making it sound like Dedis are standard. They are most definately not.

rlbl

A small win? Maybe a large one!!?

Looks like XBOXone will be using the cloud and hosting dedicated servers.  YAY!

I wonder what is meant by "dedis" in this context?  Does anyone have any in depth information on what this means without speculation what is meant by a dedi?  We have our desires and expectations, but they may not match what is actually happening.

Anyways this at least can only be a step forward for the XBOX COD community.  Now if Sony would only do something for the PS users (lol... which I am btw)

Call of Duty MP 24/7 @CoDMP247    2h      

Breaking News: Call of Duty: Ghosts WILL have Dedicated Servers on #XboxOne! #GhostsMP #CODGhosts