28 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 10:16 AM by Foxhound-Pro Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Apology from PlayTheGameCentral and apology from me.

DeathBringer-Zen

Hey guys.

Ok, so most of you will now know who Benn and PlayTheGame are. You will also have seen the heat they get from me and others on these pages. Well, I spoke with Benn on Twitter the other day, and it was the beginning of him and me putting our differences to one side. Last night, while sitting in a party with Jaysta, I was joined in that party by the entire crew from PTG! Yes, the entire cast including Benn took to joining me, to find out what my problem with them was, and how, because of MY negative comments, everyone is now saying PTG are sh*t.

I explained my reasons as to why I 'turned' on a source that I once used very regularly. I explained that I did not like their attitude towards the community during the Tranzit run, calling people things like 'f*cking stupid morons' or 'retarded' for continuing the search for a next step. I did not give PTG heat on these pages back then, but instead chose to ignore it. Then, when they got the exclusive for MotD, they handled it all wrong. One day one of release, PTG released the ending to the Pop goes the Weasel EE, then, a few hours later, also revealed the Golden Spork. This ruined and tainted the map for not only me, but thousands of users of this forum, as their over anxious release of this info saw it spread fast to these pages. I also explained that I was not happy at them constantly bashing NGT, who whether they like it or not, are a BIG part of this community, with a LOT of followers, and I felt they should embrace the fact that NGT are where we ALL turn to on the first 3 nights of a new map so we can take part in the hunt. This will not chance, so I suggested they just accept this. I also explained I was EXTREMELY pissed at the though of them releasing the DLC 3 & 4 info, as I did not want the game to be spoilt so early in. In the end, they still released the info, but in a cryptic way that none of their subscribers managed to work it out fully. That was commendable, and I was wrong to judge so quickly and harshly on that.

Now, despite saying some pretty mean and sh*tty things about those guys, they took it relatively well, and were a lot more plesant that they needed to be. I explained that no matter what I personally say or do, it does not stop the fact that they can come across as arrogant and condescending in their videos, and some people just don't like that. Change the attitude and people will listen more. There is NO denying that PTG are definitely one of the best, if not the best sources to turn to for 100% factual information. This has been proven now and will continue to be the case, so who am I to put you guys off going there for it. I took my personal gripes with PTG and went over the top with it on these pages. For that, I apolopgies to you guys, PTG and Benn. Not because they forced me to, but because this community needs to be looked after better. It is a smaller community than some people realise, so any reliable or decent sources should be embrace. Now, having explained all this to the PTG guys, I expected a backlash of abuse from them. Instead, what I got was this...

So I thought that it was time to clarify our position in regards to our current 'species' of output on YouTube and across our social outlets. I has come to my attention that there are members of the community who do not appreciate the information that we have to share, this has caused a rift to form between a few of the popular Call of Duty forums. To be completely frank, this is the last thing that we want at PLAYtheGAME. We are devoted to serving the community with 100% factual information.

As you may know by now, I am almost 'stuck' in a mode of talking unto which I cannot talk without talking in code. This comes from years of experience in a job where I had to ensure that every word that I would mumble, had the correct connotations... (legal ease) For newcomers to PLAYtheGAME, this must be f****** unbearable and I am working on trying to get back to a mode in which I can just talk like a normal person. The other negative thing that people bring up is that I am in some way 'arrogant'. It's almost impossible for me to stand up and say I'm not and I'm not even going to try, what I will say is this... I believe in PLAYtheGAME, I believe that our output is of a very high calibre (especially for the Call of Duty community) and I would like to see some of our hard work 'rub off' on other larger channels. Sometimes arrogance can become blurred with confidence and I can only say that I'm NOT perfect, neither is PTG and neither is anyone else... but it doesn't stop us from trying.

In reference to the information that we have bee assigned, I am pleased to share a portion of it with you all however I am under strict instructions to only share a few details with the people here at PLAYtheGAME, the same was true for Alcatraz (not Mob of the Dead). When Mob of the Dead was in the making (2 months before release, titled 'Hellcatraz') I was privileged enough to become a part of the fold and so my information was bullet proof and future proof. The same goes for the last two maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. I also know of Treyarch's next venture and I will be diluting some of the information from that soon. What I don't want to do, is spoil the game. When Black Ops 2 was about to launch I was offered a LOT of inside intel into what awaited, however, I declined it, because I wanted a suprise and I didn't want anyone to take that away from me.

Now to talk about other community members who have issues with PTG. The first would be Niikthatgamingshow who has some sort of butthurt feelings towards PLAYtheGAME... It's hard to understand why as we did nothing wrong... We just beat him on day one of release, like we will next time around (Day three next time). I feel as though Niik just takes it all too seriously and to be honest he should lighten up, it's only a game... The second person I want to mention is Spiderbite of NGT (I don't know what it stands for...) who has some sort of personal gripe against us which is also mirrored straight back at him. To him I say that I don't even know you and it's just a shame that you feel as-though you can't credit the people who make your life so much easier. No hard feelings though! The last person who is even worth mentioning is Syndicate, minecraft person. I don't need to apologise to him, I just thought he was worth mentioning because he appears butthurt too...

As for PLAYtheGAME's output for DLC 3 & 4... We will not be here until the third day after release for DLC 3, which SUCKS... But at the same time we will be doing something slightly more important with bigger fish! We will however be back in the race on the third day after release and we will continue to bring you 'worlds firsts' for all upcoming DLC's including Treyarch's next title.

I hope that this thread has helped you understand PTG's stance with it's current output and I hope you are all having the most fantastic of days! All the love in the world.

- Benn Down

(This was posted on the PlayTheGameCentral forum. Link : http://www.playthegame.co/forum/topics/clearing-the-dead-air)

Now, I have to commend Benn and the team for taking one right on the chin here. Benn has accepted that the community is not a fan of the arrogance or attitude in their videos and he has come out and done something that you practically NEVER see any Youtuber do, and that is accept responsibility for their own failings or shortcomings. Now I know he explains his feelings towards other competition at the bottom, but that is no reason for us to hate on them. They have personal issues with Syndicate, and that is their business. NGT I though was still a bit harsh, as we all love NGT and obviously will feel the need to defend Spider, but this issue is also between them, so I am not wanting to get involved in something I know nothing about.

The fact the PTG took this constructive criticism and used it as opposed to creating a 'DeathBringerZen is Gay' montage, shows me that they are willing to listen, and change to fit in with the needs of the community as a whole. I am willing to stop blasting PTG unnecessarily on these pages, but I leave it up to you guys as to whether you chose to watch their videos. I will say this... if you really do want legit information on the game, then it PTG who I would recommend turning to, but it is up to them to keep you guys on board, by being professional at their job.

Again, my sincerest apologies to PTG and Benn for calling them out when I though they were going to ruin the game. They have not, and I was wrong. I hope this lets people understand that it is THEIR own choice whether they like PTG. Not mines to force upon others.

~DBZ

• Re: Apology from PlayTheGameCentral and apology from me.
          ydajdimstr

Glad to see you trying to be the bigger man, here... However, if the ENTIRE community wasn't against them, do you think they'd be apologizing to anyone? They made their bed, let them lie in it...

DeathBringer-Zen

Yeah, I am not the only one who is giving them heat, and that is down to them, not me. They said to me...

"For the sake of the community, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all"

Well, they need to reap what they sow on that one, and if THEY have nothing good to say, then they need to learn to also say nothing at all.

They still slated people in the Omnia part 5, but we have to put those videos and their still clearly bitter attitude to one side and see if they change for the better in their next videos.

If they don't, then they will still continue to get heat from me and others on here and elsewhere. I am only willing to bury the hatchet with them if they also improve. If they don't, then there is NOTHING I will be able to say or do to help them.

Ball is in their court, but I am willing to see what develops from this.

Cheesegrater28

I was interested to see their new video last night which was up after our game. Not sure if they made it long before talking to you, but its the same. He talks about why everyone sucks yet he is unaware of anything anyone else does cause he doesn't watch other channels or other forums, and gives excuses for giving out wrong info while still knowing everything. Not sure what the point of the actual video is since he doesn't give any info or hints. Seems like it supposed to be an apology video but it clearly isn't.

DeathBringer-Zen

Yeah, unfortunately, we need to look past the Omnia series of videos, as they were all made prior to our chat or his apology post.

He continued to be arrogant in that video, but I am looking past that series and am waiting to see what comes from them in the future. His apology he made on his forum is not something I would EVER have expected to see from Benn, so I am willing to commend him for that and apologize for my slurs regarding them leaking the DLC information.

I did not and will not apologize for slating their attitude though, so that is down to THEM to change, and we the Activision Forum Community to decide if they have changed for the better or not.

Either way, I appreciate their information, but would appreciate it more, if it was put to us in a less arrogant manner.

Time will tell, but I think we should all at least give them the chance to change for the better, before making our minds up.

Death, I think you are too kind, especially since his apology was pretty weak, still slagging people who "he hasn't done anything to".  I wasn't aware of PTG until recently, being a pretty die-hard NGT follower, and I tried watching Omnia vid number 1 and was instantly turned off when Benn called "the majority of the community "s%#t" because we run trains and use Juggernog.

I also don't believe for one second that, as a professional YouTuber, he has not heard of or doesn't know what NGT stands for. If you are in a business, do you not know your competition?  Ludicrous.

Now, you spoke to him and even though his last vid, you said, was still arrogant, it was probably already "in the can" so time will tell.  Actions speak louder than words with me, but it seems like his attitude thus far is that we all should be privileged to hear Benn and Co. speak from on high and should take whatever insults he dishes put because his info is "future proof".

I am with you, in that, I am a purist.  I like the hunt. I don't want hints unless I am completely stuck. I enjoy the chemistry and brotherhood that NGT brings in their videos. They are about bringing the community along, not beating them down to "convince" people how good they are.   PTG should take a note from NGT and they might see their subscribers go up. It is hard to slag a channel with over 700,000 subscribers when you only have 67,000. They must be doing something right.

What it comes down to for me is who serves the community best and unless there is a significant attitude adjustment from PTG it will never be them no matter how much inside info they get.

Cheesegrater28

Yeah, I figure they probably made the video a while ago and the thing was uploading all day while they talked to you. It is 15 mins long. Just thought it was funny that it seems like its supposed to be an apology or explanation video, yet its the same and in some cases worse then previous videos they had.

After trying to reach out, I thought it was funny they still upload a video like that which is 15 mins of trashing other channels while acting like he doesn't know who they are. Even in his apology he still does the same thing. NGT never mentions them, yet he mentions them in every video. Its just interesting that he doesn't understand why he can't get subs. He's one of those people that thinks its everyone else.

jaysta5792

True story. They were much more pleasant than expected. I feel like we will see some changes. I didn't expect them to post that apology so quickly. Plus, Benn said that Ptg isn't going to release the info for the zombie maps like they did with motd which was our main problem. It seems like the point was made well

I've not watched any if the latest vids as all the waffle gets posted on here anyways but,,,

Obviously this is only my opinion,

I don't care about them releasing stuff on day one, every one knows the websites like play the game and video channels like spiders will have spoilers and advice on how to do things all on the first day, that's never bothered me,

If I want to not spoil anything for myself then I stay away from forums, even this one, the mod team try but it's hard when the title of the thread gives it away b4 you've even read anything,

I can see it from both sides though, for the people who come in these forums to chat on a daily bases with people they have chatted with for a year nearly, it's no good seeing post after post saying double blunder gat or the likes, but even so if you are a regular you should by now know what's going to happen and stay away,

That's not bashing any one, its simu the truth, if it wasn't PTGC for motd it would have only prevented the inevitable happening by a few hours.

So I can live with all the spoilers and stuff,

What grates on my tits is people's attitudes to others,

And over at PTGC they seem to have a massive complex about any one other than them, as if anybody else is below them, I get the fact that they have probably spent dolla getting all their stuff and want to show what they got for their dolla, but there's no need to completly trash every other forum time and time again with their shllty attitude,

In that reply he says its something he has had to do, his wording has always Been chosen so he can correctly get his point accros without hurting himself and the

Team, well that's the way I read it,

Well that to me means he has meant every single word of every single put down he has done, if he has to be soo careful then obviously he has spent a lot of time coming up with the remarks that he has done,

Fcuk Benn and Fcuk PTGC you will see no change, not while that clowns got anything to do with it,

:-)

DeathBringer-Zen

The thing is though mate... they did not used to be like that, and I am sure it was just them showing off that they got the exclusive.

Their info is pretty solid, and they tend not to make sh*tty, non-relevant videos, so if they CAN change in their attitude, there is no reason for us to hate on them anymore.

What they have done in the past is done. If they change, I will embrace them.

Ok well we will see, I agree that the info is good info and its mainly the way it's delivered that's the problem,

But when they have had to word things so not to get in trouble, I'm sure they could have done it politely and without the need of bashing normal folk who just come on the forums, the every day person, I fact the every day people that use sites just like their own site,

I mean if I went into a supermarket and was called a Cnut every time I went to the counter them I would only ever go their twice at the very most,

They must see that they are alienating their own followers as well? But saying that he does seem that arrogant that he probably thinks it doesn't matter, for every one out you will get a new idiot following,

Ok well I haven't bashed him too much, when people have asked I've always told them how to find PTGC and leave their decisions up to them,

But I honestly can't ever see them changing and it seems suspect that he would even try to explain why he speaks like he speaks,

I can actually live with arrogance as well, it's good sometimes when some

One is full of themselves, but it's the perminent put downs to the normal

People that must stop,

And then I might take more notice  :-)

GulfCoastGirl

DeathBringer-Zen wrote:

Now to talk about other community members who have issues with PTG. The first would be Niikthatgamingshow who has some sort of butthurt feelings towards PLAYtheGAME... It's hard to understand why as we did nothing wrong... We just beat him on day one of release, like we will next time around (Day three next time). I feel as though Niik just takes it all too seriously and to be honest he should lighten up, it's only a game... The second person I want to mention is Spiderbite of NGT (I don't know what it stands for...) who has some sort of personal gripe against us which is also mirrored straight back at him. To him I say that I don't even know you and it's just a shame that you feel as-though you can't credit the people who make your life so much easier. No hard feelings though! The last person who is even worth mentioning is Syndicate, minecraft person. I don't need to apologise to him, I just thought he was worth mentioning because he appears butthurt too...

I dunno.... he still sounds like a pr*ck to me.  His entire post reeks of his usual arrogance, just worded in a way to disguise it.  It reminds me of the quote: 

Diplomacy Is The Ability To Tell Someone To "Go To Hell" In Such A Way That He Looks Forward To The Trip.

The problem is... in the end, he's still basically telling people to go to hell.  I actually had to read the post twice to make sure I wasn't missing something because you see it is as him trying to put differences aside, but all I see there is arrogant Ben, puffing out his chest begging for people to admire him.  Completely unprofessional to refer to his community peers as "butthurt".... but then again, I suppose that appeals to his audience of 10 year old followers......

Personally DBZ, I don't think you owe him an apology at all, and I seriously doubt anything about him will change.  I hope I'm proven wrong.....

What the **** are you people talking about? lol.

DeathBringer-Zen

I completely agree that the whole post comes across as 'scripted', and is probably not ment wholeheartedly, and in no way whatsoever, am I apologizing to Benn or PTG for their stinky attitude towards anyone and everyone outside their own group, but I do feel the need to apologize for calling them out on something they did not do, or at least, not to the extend I expected.

Yes, they are still arrogant, codenscending, rude, and vile towards everyone who is in anyway competition to them, but I explained all this to them last night, and whether the post he made is full of BS and false statements or not, that is not my problem anymore.

I have made my apology to him, and to the community for stirring things, but I ment what I said in all the posts regarding their attitude, and despite their request for me to delete those comments, I point blank refused.

It is up to them to change all of your opinions. If they don't, then f*ck them. If they do, then no point in holding a petty grudge. They are going to keep getting the exclusives, and put out informative videos. Benn IS arrogant, but he knows now that showing that off in his videos is just going to continue hurting him and his business, and if he continues to trash talk the community, then I will continue to trash talk him.

I would rather not do that, because like I said, they were not always like this, and I think that MotD tipped them over the edge.

Even though I do agree with both you and the lady up above,

I don't think we should delve too deep into the apology and the way it's written, we should take it at face value and accept it for what it is,

I know I pulled it apart a little but that wasn't the apology itself but more on the lines of his excuses within the apology,

as I saw that a bit like a bloke hitting his child after warning the kid ten times b4, and then turning it around and saying I'm sorry but if you hadn't done this or this then I wouldn't have done that!

It's not an apology but an excuse for the actions that followed,

But yeah let's just see what happens hopefully they will keep up giving out info that's solid and if they lift the insults then alls well and good,

He can even keep being arrogant for me and he can be as proud as he likes as I'm pretty sure if it was a news paper they would be proud as well to bring u exclusives on a subject first, that's all good,

But for fcuks sake stop with the community bashing lol

DeathBringer-Zen

Yes, very well put. We know it is not a great apology, and it can even be percieved as more making excuses, but some people are just that way in life. He is proud of his business, and he likes to show off about it, but if he stops with the CONSTANT bashing of the community, and continues to provide good videos, with solid information, then there is no reason why we cannot turn to them for our zombies fix.

It is totally down to them, and if we wait to see how they present themselves in the future (outwidth the Omnia series), then we can all make our minds up then.

The video we view is made by the narration we listen too. If there is no narrative, then it is just a gameplay video. If Benn or Boop are going to be the narratives, then they need to accept that people like NGT, or NIIK, or Syndicate. If he continues to bash them in every video, then he will continue to put people off.

I honestly do think they will change, and I urge people to at least give them the chance. Their info really is solid, and we want it in our lives.

Well I for one still think he is a fat self important cheeseburger eating wannabe.

Zombiefaces

They definitely have knowledge to offer. If they sincerely make changes to their approach it could be a win win for all sides. Good Job DBZ. Thanks for representing the majority in a proper way. It's cool they took notice and accountability.

DeathBringer-Zen

That's the thing mate... they DO have good knowledge to offer us, and we want it, so there is no harm in turning to them for said info, if they change there attitude towards the community as a whole.

All I say is give them a bit of time and see what happens. I would rather go to them for new, solid information, than turn to losers like Flandies and Hurricane, who recently posted videos of the fake playcard for the DLC3 that cheesegrater busted 2 weeks back.

They only had to read the comments on that video to see me and Cheese were all over it, and Cheese confirmed it was fake to the point that he owned up in a follow up video. Did not matter to those pathetic losers... they still made a video just for views.

PTG are actually quite passionate about zombies, and although a lot of my opinions on the game differ from theirs, that is also the same for me with a lot of people on these pages. It does not mean I hate any of you guys though, so we don't need to hate PTG as a whole. We can accept that we are not fans of their commentary, and still take their info, and if needs be, credit them for it.

We don't need to love PTG... but we should accept them for a source of information.

formallyKNOWNasLukey

I used to like there standard for videos, they used to put effort in the content. I know it was just using a dolly cam but they were much better than watching someone just running trains.

I do hope they change there ways, as im getting sick of NGT's 30+ videos on how to build the plane on day one. I do love NGT for there banter and there 1st play through videos (only cod zombies) and hope they dont change (stay un-censored).

I know that PGT has to be cryptic and have timed release but bens claim of having a big ee for motd still the bag (billys side) just p!sses me off he hasn't let it out the bag or give us some starting steps, when he talk about future dlc's.

DeathBringer-Zen

I used to watch PTG videos all through the BO1 run. They put out really good, detailed videos regarding the story, and hidden extras. I also found they were the most realistic when it came to theories based on the information the game gave us to play with.

Since BO2, Benn got a little over confident, which is in no way a bad thing, but in the way he came across in a lot of videos, it just felt like they were totally showing off, and just would not let up. When they got the exclusives on MotD, they really hit a new low. Constantly bashing NGT (even still, in his Omnia Pt 5), and it reeks of jealousy, even though he would laugh of that suggestion.

He has his views and opinions, and in all honesty, he IS right on a lot of ocassions regarding this community, but just because we all know it, does not mean we need to hear it, time and time again.

Whatever issue he has with NGT, he needs to keep it to himself from now on, because if he doesn't, he will continue to lose his audience.

formallyKNOWNasLukey

Its human nature to bash others, take this thread......

Some of the times he has a point about youtubers but i couldn't care less, he needs to step back and remember its a zombies video game site and stay on topic.

DeathBringer-Zen

^^^BOOM!

Stay on topic, and look after themselves. There is too any NGT fans out there, and we will not listen to people bashing Spider and his crew. It is totally off putting. I told him he needs to embrace NGT, as they light up this entire community on the first few days of a DLC release.

It is one of the most important periods in the zombie community, and he is like Father Christmas on those nights, delivering us the steps. We love it, and we love his personallity. He is a joy to listen to, and that is what Benn needs to be. A personallity we can enjoy listening to.

He seems really bitter all the time towards others, and people just can't take that. Time will tell.

First thing is the fact PTG did put a response out there.  The other thing to understand is that Benn as a person and as an entertainer are probably to completely different people.  His approach to PTG content is with confidence and arrogance, character and personality.  You don't have to like him, but it is the content that attracts you to him.  Take what you want and leave it at that.  Don't wear your feelings on your sleeve.  He doesn't owe you, me, or us anything.  Get over it!!!

My personal thoughts are I love a challenge and Zen mentions how the map was ruined by the early info.  I agree, but I also know I would have not personally figured out the golden spork and there was a 1% chance I would figure out the redeemer.  I would like to know DLC 3 and 4 complete layout, such as, weapons, perks, traps, transportation, etc.  I don't want to know easter egg info.  The layout would give me constant hours thinking of set ups and how to run trains.  That information would help me form thoughs about the easter eggs.  For me a win win.

My problems are obvious.  Try to add to someones post instead of starting your own.  The other is look at post people make and how childish comments are.  What is the average age here and it would be nice to know someones age because a lot more posts would make sense.  Perhaps strict moderating needs to be in play.

LORD_GRRR

Death, I respect you and everything you do for this community.  You truly go above and beyond for us all and for that, I along with many others are grateful.  I appreciate what you are trying to do for us here but I have a concern.

I have deliberately refrained from all the Benn posts because I don't know him or PTG and all the discussions about him were frankly toxic.  Now that I have seen his own words, he has failed to gain my respect. 

To me, this is not a genuine apology.  This seems much more like an attempt at getting free advertising for his unprofessional business.  I have watched and cringed over the past few weeks as people have flocked to these Benn posts, unwittingly spreading his fame.  It is my belief he sees this as opportunity with you Death and is taking it.  You are acting as a spokesperson for Benn at the moment and you aren't getting paid.  

To be blunt, it angers me that these posts, as toxic as they are, have not been removed by moderators but a post I put up back in November thanking Spiderbite for all he did for the community landed criticism from fellow forum members and was removed by moderators.  Honestly, it made sense that my Spiderbite post was taken down.  It read like an advertisement even though I didn't mean it to.  Tell me, though, how this is ultimately any different? 

DeathBringer-Zen

I completely agree that his 'apology' did not feel wholehearted, and I am urging people to take their own paths here, when it comes to accepting PTG or avoiding them.

I know he is probably using me to some extent also, but it is down to them, not me, as to whether they have an attitude adjustment or not.

I will NOT be making anymore posts on PTG, and will not be promoting them any further than this thread unless they give me good reason to. People don't like the way they present themselves, and you guys have seen this apology for what it is... Second rate at best, but maybe he is just that kind of person in real life? We all have that one arrogant, one-sided mate, who we think is stupid, but he is still our friend, and we love him for all his faults.

Benn is NOT our friend, but he is an important part of the community. If we accept his faults, and he tries to change, no harm done. If not, then... C'est la vie.

Also, I love Spider, and everything he does for the community. NGT will ALWAYS be my no#1 source for all things zombies. If they don't stop bashing them all the time, then they will NEVER be accepted by me, you, or the thousands of other NGT fans out there.

Foxhound-Pro

Locking.

It's good for people to come to terms with each other, but content which we consider platform vs. platform (site vs. site) is locked. Even though this discussion is a meta-discussion regarding the community and information, it can move forward as a point of conflict. We do not embrace that.

Chief Forum Moderator

Modern Warfare, Black Ops, Ghosts