23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 9:22 AM by ghamorra RSS

The cancer killing CoD

Disclaimer: Just for the record I have nothing against sniping (sniping has always been a small hobby of mine) nor do I have anything against quickscoping (QS is kinda cheap but I don't really hate it)

This is an IW game so I'm not expecting the snipers to be balanced in any way but I though I'd post anyway.

Something needs to change when it comes to sniping in CoD. Pretty much every CoD (except BO1) is now infested with snipers. The game is becoming dominated by a long range support weapon () and this game is slowly turning into a joke. There are all of these sniping clans, in Black Ops 2 I'm seeing everyone from Prestige Masters to noobs and even splitscreeners are all sniping now. People are scared to move because they are sick of being sniped all of the time and then it forces people to counter with either 1) a TF LMG or 2) a shotgun. Most of the time these snipers contribute absolutely nothing to the team and more often then not having them on your team is actually counter productive since they almost always go negative or barely go even, they ignore objects and in gamemodes with predictable spawns they only care about tac inserting at the spawn so they can get easy quad feeds. These snipers also distract from the gameplay, half the time I'm dodging 1 hit kills so when you face a guy using an Assault Rifle or SMG you're already so distracted and then when the sniper gets a hitmarker you're pretty much dead since the snipers deal such high damage so it will usually take 1 bullet to finish you off. In BO2 the snipers don't even need toughness so they can use Fast Hands to swap to their automatic secondary in the blink of an eye and in MW3 SOH Pro let them switch to their akimbo FMG9s insanely quick. Of course in their infinite wisdom Treyarch nerfed dropshotting so now even that option is gone. To IW's credit they did have the ballistic vest (I've lost count of the amount of times a ballistic vest has saved me from being sniped) but then on the other hand sniper in that game had Quickdraw and machine pistol secondaries.

Today I decided to pick up the DSR again on Carrier in an Arms Race game. I haven't sniped regulary since March or Feburary (when I finished getting my SR diamond) yet I was able to pick up my VSAT with relative ease and was about to get my K9 unit and Swarm but then the host dashboarded. Something has to change.

This might seem like I'm hating on snipers but I'm not, it's just the amount of people doing it. Remember when snipers were in the minority? I do but it seems sniping is getting more and more popular with each release.

• Re: The cancer killing CoD

Bring back juggernaut ( and stopping power for balance).  If snipers consistantly go against people with juggernaut, they will be forced to stop due to the hitmarkers they get

ghamorra

One of the best ways to balance snipers is to make it impossible to use unless prone. Some people might "gasp" when I say this but think about how little use they'll be. If you have to go prone your visibility is cut sizably since there's always so much clutter, you can't move because you're laying down, and there's really only a few places prone is a adequate vantage point.

It's also fairly realistic too. Standing up with a .50cal is unthinkable

I think that there should be a good amount of snipers in COD.  I don't find snipers overwelming, because they aren't.  The ratios, guessing from my experience, would be around 10-15% of people that use Snipers.  The other 85-90% of users would use other primaries.  35% of those people would use SMGs, another 35% would use ARs, and the last 15-20% would use Shotguns and LMGs.  In BO1 those number were quite higher for everything than snipers because they were so hard to use, while SMGs and ARs were so easy.

So I guess you haven't been getting into the lobbies where more then half of the people are sniping. Go play some groud war Dom and then you'll see how bad it gets, especially when they start tac inserting in your spawn.

Anyway I'm don't want snipers to be nerfed out of existance (I do enjoy sniping every now and then) all I'm asking for is balance.

Speaking of balance (I missed this in my original post) the semi autos need to go. There is no real way of balancing these things properly. A Sniper Rifle should be a weapon of precision not spam the trigger and hope that something hits.

I don't like the TI and wish they would get rid of it or add a spawn delay.  As for semi-auto snipers, I like them but wish they would put a fire rate cap on them.  Something like the Barrett 50 cal can shoot faster than a bolt-action but only to a certain point.

ghamorra

A spawn delay could actually solve a lot of spawn logic issues. Anyone who plays the game a lot can manipulate the spawns for easy kills. Increasing the number of spawn points and adding a spawn delay could give the game a chance for more opportunities to give a player a safe spawn.

The Tac Insert should have been removed a few titles ago