41 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2014 6:09 AM by AngryBus97 RSS

Future COD titles - No Campaign

BuddyVA

Respawn's Vince Zampella, former Infinity Ward co-founder, made the following statement;

We make these single-player missions that take up all the focus of the studio, that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in 8 minutes," he said. "And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game.

Do you agree with this? I do! Why has Infinity Ward and Treyarch not caught on!? I feel they waste a lot of time and resources focusing on campaign, when they should be focusing exclusively on multiplayer. Imagine how much more immersive multiplayer would be if Infinity Ward and Treyarch realized what Vince Zampella has stated above!

For those interested in what else Vince Zampella had to say, visit: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-18-zampella-titanfall-not-gunning- for-call-of-duty

• Re: Future COD titles - No Campaign
          maccabi

you only have to look at the number of is ghost dead bring back ghost threads, and topics all over the internet to see that although your opinion maybe concentrate on mp only there is a massive amount of players who love and play the single player campaigns

BuddyVA

Massive amount? Vince said 5 percent finish. I would hope he didn't pull that number from the sky. Where are your numbers?

maccabi

BuddyVA wrote:

Massive amount? Vince said 5 percent finish. I would hope he didn't pull that number from the sky. Where are your numbers?

and he would know how many finish because....

either way lots of people play sp , not having sp doesnt add anything to cod it subtracts ,the single player campaign is what made cod what it today anyways. heck first three cod games i didnt even play the mp

also half the stuff coming out of respawn atm are direct digs at cod so should be taken with a pinch of salt

BuddyVA

He would know because he is the former co-founder of Infinity Ward. I guess you are part of the 5 percent along with the rest of the people here who are pro single-player.

maccabi

BuddyVA wrote:

He would know because he is the former co-founder of Infinity Ward. I guess you are part of the 5 percent along with the rest of the people here who are pro single-player.

and how many cod games has there been since he left?

doesnt really matter arguing semantics on a forum is pointless,

not having a single player section would annoy alot of people and lose sales alot of people dont play mp and only the sp , hence why 3arc for example added combat training to get more people to play mp

but end of the day there wouldnt be any net gain to not adding a single player portion unless you take quotes from ex iw peeps slightly out of context and run with them

ghamorra

Most developers that have successful MPs all say that multiplayer typically ranks second in popularity and even more say that their dedicated players typically don't player the Campaign in later titles as their sole interest is in the MP.

I would have guessed much higher than 5%, maybe aroudn 20-30% play the campaign, but on my friend's list I have 50+ players who I added solely for Black Ops II multiplayer and only 7 friend's have even played the campaign

Im not so sure about that Mac, the argument could be made that the money and resorces used to develop a single player campaign could be used to further develop multiplayer and test it thoroughly.

I personally dont enjoy the campaign but thats my nature as a gamer generally if im not playing online i get bored very easily. But this is just where im comming from, I would love to see them develop a multiplayer only game and get it right and i feel that if this was the sole focus they would achieve something great.

But it will never happen because as you say it would take something away from the game for the players who do enjoy it, i believe 5% completion is probably an innacurate number and im sure that many more people play and complete it, for example they cannot track the completion rate of an offline player who does not have xbox live etc

AstroCyborg

vince is lying their last game had a completion of 59.1% Only 18.6% of Players Have Completed CoD: Black... | GameZone

ghamorra

Respawn said there isn't going to be a multiplayer for their new game (I can't for the life of me remember the name of it) and that the entire game will be multiplayer focused.

Me personally I kinda like the campaigns. If the story is enthrawling I'll play it through a few times because they are quick and are a gun distraction from multiplayer.

Instead of having a story I think having some intense gunfights against the computer can be successful. Throw in some Hans Zimmer scoring and a few epic cut scenes and you can turn a simple game mode like King of the Hill into a fun little campaign like element.

radical_53

I'm not sure how many people actually play the campaign, let alone finish it, but I've always been a fan and played throught them.

Not only once but usually multiple times, going back to missions and levels I like. In combination with the usual "hidden intal" and some achievements this is always great fun.

Of course the campaign may only be good for 5-20 hours while multiplayer can easily be played 10 times as much (and more). But, to me, it's great to have some background to the multiplayer levels, the "global" setting and -> to be able to play on my own.

If the campaign isn't done well, like BF3 or MoH:Warfighter, there's no reason to have it. Of course not. But then those games would've only been bought by people who were sure they wanted to play multiplayer right away and that, frankly, won't be the majority of people.

Over the course of a year I usually play one, maybe two, multiplayer games for an extended period of time but I buy 15-20 other games that I only get for their campaign and singleplayer part. I like the story aspect and, well, there's simply no time to play that many games intensively in multiplayer.

Fireman0025

i enjoy the campaings. Why i didnt ejoy MW3's and BO2's as much as the ones prior, i feel that it is what ties the game together

I agree not having a campaign would be great for the franchise and ive played everyone of them and enjoyed them alot but the time, effort and money put into single player would be better used for multiplayer. I remember an interview a while back i think on the bonus round last year where they talked about this and the single player costs for COD was something like 80%+ of the games cost to make with actors, hollywood script writers, dev time, tecnology needed such as mo cap etc it even takes upwards of 70% of the dev time to make, nobody can tell me that if they used this to make just a multiplayer game they wouldn't get more out of it than at best a 10 hour play through of single player.

I would love to see what they could do with a subscription model of multiplayer only call of duty with massive expansion packs dropping. At the moment the franchise is a mess the majority of the player base is distributed between 2 - 3 different COD games and then again split up between a ton of different shitty little map pack combinations. Then we have a rushed game that after a few months gets boring because of lack of depth because the majority of the studio is focused on single player. COD has got to get their act together otherwise it will be in the gutter in a few years, yearly rushed updates of the same game won't cut it next gen.

aodhan567

5%? I honestly find that bullshit lol. I will always play Singleplayer because I'd like to get used to weapons and I also enjoying going for achievements. Single-Player will stay. No matter anybody said that, Single Player will be here.

I would love a COD based entirely on Multiplayer & Zombies, screw the campaign

gallp13

Titanfall-esque Campaign MP integration will be the one to watch. If executed well this may become the new industry benchmark for the way campaign is handled in future.

PLEASE WHEN YOU BUILDING NEW COD DONT FORGET PUNKBUSTER OR ANOTHER PROGRAM FOR THAT ******* CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT KNOW WHERE IS PROBLEM BUT COD MW 1  AND COD 1 ARE GREATEST GAMES I EVER PLAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW IN MW 3 I GO TO S&D OR ANOTHER SERVER ADN STILL SAME PLAYERS OR ANOTHER USING CHEATS.....!!!!!!!!! AEE  FOR MY LANGUAGE BUT ITS VERY VERY BORRING

RunAndGun1

I personally loved playing the campaign for MW3. I've even recently started playing it from the beginning. By the same token, I can't stand the campaign for BO2. I think it stinks.

But, if its true that 80% of the costs of COD is spent on the campaign, then I would love if they spent more on multiplayer. Especially in the map designs and sizes. I hate the maps for BO2. They're tiny and they suck.

5%? That number is totally bull. The campaign is the main part of the game imo. I have ALWAYS played Campaigns before anything else in ANY video game. It's the story, it's what the game is. It's where the game gets its title from. Can't even believe you'd suggest scrapping it. MW story was one of the greatest single-player experiences I've ever played. If you played MW1, MW2 and then MW3 directly after each other it's like a fantastic film. Incredibly emotional and exciting.

Your suggestion should be completely ignored. Most people will have finished the campaign. I refuse to believe that only 5% of players have finished the main part of the game.

RunAndGun1

I just finished the Campaign for BO2. It's the only part of the game that's worth anything. Multiplayer is crap, with insanely tiny maps.

While playing the BO2 campaign, I saw many locations that would've made great maps for the Multiplayer. Maps that would've easily fallen under categories of small, medium and large sized maps. There were a few night time scenes in the campaign that would've made for great night time maps. Why they didn't incorporate them into MP is baffling. Hopefully, Ghosts won't make the same mistake.

I've gone back and started playing the campaign for COD4: MW, and there are locations all through the campaign that appear in the MP as maps. To not attempt to include locations from BO2's campaign is further proof that Treyarch was very lazy in its creation of MP maps. I'm betting that IW won't make the same mistake. A pretty big mistake in the scheme of things, IMHO.

Xx67Customs

I read that only ~ 30% of the people that buy each CoD title actually play multiplayer online. Can't remember where I read that, but I will link it if I can find it.

And, if you think about it, that number makes sense. At any given time, the most current CoD title may have 600,000 people online. If you assume 30m copies sold, you are looking at 2% of them playing online. Factor in people that have played it a few times and stuff like that and I can completely see that it is on 30% who have ever played online multiplayer.

Point is... people still buy CoD for the campaign.

I highly doubt CoD gets rid of the campaign. It generates sales.

iHattoriHanzo0

Zampella makes a great point. Before Titanfall was released and I heard about the changes Respawn was going to implement with their integrated campaign................... i was very interested. Thought it could be the way of the future.

And then once I played Titanfall, I thought the absence of a single player campaign was ridiculous and lazy. With such an awesome setting and graphic design element, a single player campaign for Titanfall could have been nothing less than epic. I would have loved to immersed myself in that story. Every time I'm in the loading screen before a match starts, the screen shot blows me away and the description of the map make me sad there's no campaign.

Now I get a developer wanting to use their resources wisely. And there are lots of players that don't bother with the campaign at all. But for the players that love the old fashion single player campaign............... its a bad decision to eliminate it, in my opinion.

Xx67Customs

That article is pre-release, though. Countless people, like you and me, have stated that the lack of a single player campaign is lazy and diminishes the quality of the game. Not sure Vince feels the same way with the current feedback.

He offers no real stats in that article, either. By simply saying, "... that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in 8 minutes," or "And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, every one plays though the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game," he isn't stating facts. He is bolstering their reasoning for excluding a single player campaign with cop-out words and throw away "stats."

Just admit it Vince, your team isn't big enough to produce a full, top tier AAA game right now. You wanted to use the entire team to focus on multiplayer. That's fine. I'm Glad you decided to polish one thing and not provide half baked garbage. People would have accepted that more than, "Oh, you know, like only 5% of people finish the campaign, so we just decided to do multiplayer." You know that he knows the real numbers. (70% of people who buy CoD play just the single player.)

Titanfall is a great game. Balanced and fun... but there isn't a very high replay value. A flashy multiplayer gets copies out the door. Compelling stories keep people coming back to the series. Soap, Captain Price, Alex Mason, Master Chief... they are the reason why we think your next game is worth checking out.

Think about it... people say each new Call of Duty multiplayer is nothing more than a copy, paste, slight change from last year. Except... nobody really complains about the campaign. It is usually epic. At least 70% of people who buy it play (start) the campaign. Multiplayer isn't selling those 70% games next year. The next or continuing story is. So, what if Titanfall 2 multiplayer ends up being a rehash of Titanfall multiplayer and we don't even have a single player campaign to look forward to? Your purchase numbers drop. "Well, the multiplayer looks pretty much the same with different weapons, but at least I get to play the campai... oh wait, there isn't one. Will probably hold my $ until the price drops."

Another problem is... can you just add a campaign to Titanfall 2? Do you go back and tell a story from the first? Are they stuck? I think it was a bad first move to exclude a single player story.

Don't get me wrong. I love Titanfall and I will likely get Titanfall 2. But I'm also not a part of the 70%. I'm part of the 30%. Titanfall is successful, but nowhere near potential.

iHattoriHanzo0

Great points.

I think where we went with this just proves how head and shoulders above the rest CoD is. Solid campaign (single player), solid multiplayer, and solid co-op. Of course there are critics that don't like them all, but nonetheless.......... all exist and each on their own are far better than many of their competitors.

Titanfall- solid multiplayer only game, worth the price of admission. Wolfenstein- great single player game, worth the price of admission. Concentrating the team on their strong suit is fine like you said, "You wanted to use the entire team to focus on multiplayer. Fine. Glad you decided to polish one thing and not provide half baked garbage.",

CoD has the resources to be solid in all categories. now whether a person takes advantage of that is on them. But just because they don't like the campaign and would rather have the resources to possibly polish multi, will result in.......... most likely losing part of the gaming community and still not completely pleasing the multi crowd.

FedFifa

I have never played SP in any COD. Maybe because I am older and don't have the time to play both. I don't think I have played an offline version of a game since I started playing Madden 03 online.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

If getting rid of SP so they focus on MP, I'm all for it.

I played SP in WaW.  Was fun.  But after playing MP it was just too boring shooting bots in SP.  Just me....

RedNight129

it is hard to sell a game without a campaign, campaigns make money, multiplayer is just extra

C_CHRIS11

I don't know what anyone says, but if you look at the numbers they give the true story.

A typical CoD title sell about 20 million copies, except Ghost that selled about 13 million.

Adding up the people that play multiplayer online on all consoles and it does not exceed 2 or 3 million people (and that is an exagerated number for online)

So the rest of the people that bought the game play the single player or one of the other modes of the game.

That is way why they pay so much attention on the story line of the single player as well as way it plays.

Multiplayer, from the numbers that play it, its just an extra addition as well as way to make more money from the releases of the DLC maps and micro content.

slyd0g55

I've bought up this subject a few times over the year, many told me it was a stupid idea , or stop being selfish, My point was ,similar to yours , Once players complete campaign or not, they usually put it aside or start playing MP. I haven't completed a campaign mode in CoD since Modern Warfare an since then I've had to fork out cash for this "stupid-waste of space on the disk" mode when I would prefer the Dev's to put their time towards CO-OP & MP for extra free maps ,

Now if they wish to supply the community with campaign , why not just make a game separate on it's own (for those who don't enjoy MP or no internet) ???? make's sense to me , a longer mission for trophies or unlockables ....

I'm all for no more campaign on a MP ,CO-OP disc.

iHattoriHanzo0

Its not a stupid or selfish idea and there is good reason for it. I play multi at least 15x longer than i play the campaign and it obviously takes a lot of resources to create it as well as disc space.

For me, multi just loses something without the story. It gives multi purpose with a setting and reason for existing. What exactly do you think the multi disc would gain without it........ more or bigger maps, more weapons, more customization? It seems it would just take the place of needing dlc.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned Titanfall and how it could have been better with a traditional campaign. I forgot about SOCOM: Confrontation back in 2008. That was the first game without a story I ever bought. I felt ripped off and empty. Lets see what Titanfall does in the future. Maybe they can integrate a better story and multi experience. Even though I will most likely be disappointed without single player.

The idea of a second disc isn't bad for a story but the resources from the dev team will still need to be consumed with it. As of now, the price we pay gives us a campaign, multi, and co-op. If it gets divided up and sold separately, it will really feel like Activision is milking us.

slyd0g55

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

Its not a stupid or selfish idea and there is good reason for it.- LOL thanks bro

What exactly do you think the multi disc would gain without it........ more or bigger maps, more weapons, more customization? It seems it would just take the place of needing dlc. - I was hoping on more maps, weapons camos , without having to buy them through micro DLC

Earlier in the thread I mentioned Titanfall and how it could have been better with a traditional campaign. I forgot about SOCOM: Confrontation back in 2008. That was the first game without a story I ever bought. I felt ripped off and empty. Lets see what Titanfall does in the future. Maybe they can integrate a better story and multi experience. Even though I will most likely be disappointed without single player. - I haven't had enough time to read earlier posts, my bad, But I find it interesting how the Devs of TitanFall (makers of MW, MW2) decided to go this route , maybe they thought of the same issues with Campaign as it's duration is short? I own the new Wolfenstein as well as completed it thou they did not add MP, I still found that a game dedicated to one experience, to me seems better.

The idea of a second disc isn't bad for a story but the resources from the dev team will still need to be consumed with it. - They got the money hire more staff! As of now, the price we pay gives us a campaign, multi, and co-op.- I'm paying for MP & CO-OP ,so I feel ripped off over W@W MW2 BO MW3 BO2 Ghosts , but I still buy

If it gets divided up and sold separately, it will really feel like Activision is milking us. - They are with all these DLC drops *(which won't stop IMO)

Xx67Customs

I don't think it is a stupid idea, but it is ignoring 70% of the people who pay for the new CoD each year. Activision simply isn't going to drop those 70% and focus on the 30% who play multiplayer.

gypsyfrogking

people like playing as there favorite characters in multiplayer so without the campaigns captain price would just be some old fella with a beard

AngryBus97

If they remove campaigns from COD I will be very disappointed.

All of the campaigns in COD have been beyond great in my opinion, the people who say otherwise are usually the ones who haven't bothered to attempt playing them (that is not directed at the OP).

Think about all of the "All Ghillied Up"'s we could miss out on...*drools*