13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 4:07 PM by AustinTheJovi RSS

Matchmaking Idea - no more getting thrown into losing games

rlbl

Disclaimer: This idea is not entirely mine... and it is just an idea that I am expanding on top of others

We are all tired of getting thrown into matches because someone quit (for whatever reason). Most of the time this results in either a loss, or a cascading host migration effect (multiple people leaving)

What if:

When you get thrown into a game, that the game does not count as a loss (consider it a warm up).

As well, new stats introduced:

Quitter: gets a DNF (did not finish stat)

Joiner: gets no stat change or an INC (incomplete) stat if they joined a game and stayed in it (if they leave they get a DNF)

The higher your DNF stat is, the more likely you will get matched with people of the same stat (e.g. quitters play with quitters).

This could also result in: someone with a high finishing stat (including the INC) will get matched more often with people who do finish the games, and will less likely get thrown into matches that are almost over (this could result in slightly longer wait times for games)

To get around this: Someone with high complete stats could have the option to search for INC games (and their stats are unaffected if they are matched into a game in progress)

Note: These Ideas are not my own (DL28 brought this to life from Madden)

• Re: Matchmaking Idea - no more getting thrown into losing games

Great idea. I have an improvement: Make players who quit in the middle of the game to lose all of the experience, challenges etc. they have earned during the match, not just the match bonus.

No. What you are suggesting would affect a lot of players, and you would probably be in the minority yourself as a "non-quitter" so you would probably be disappointed at your wait times to find games.

Unless they design much better balanced maps and a better spawn system and a better matchmaking system based on rank (or just balance the weapons), people are going to ragequit and rightfully so.

80% of MW3 HC matches end up in 1 team getting spawn-trapped, either because of the severely unbalanced matchups that occur or the horrible level design and spawn system. And no, it is not usually a skill thing, because there have been several times where our team owned another one because we got "the good spawn" only to be owned by the same team the next match because we got "the bad spawn". Any team of veterans that knows where to go and what tactics to use on each level can setup spawn-traps easily and there is little that the other team can do about it.

Even if it is just a TDM where the other team is far better/better equipped/ more organized than your own, it is still no fun playing when you just get rolled over, so people are going to leave to go find a more balanced map (not necessarily an easy win, just balanced). If they had better matchmaking or made the stronger weapons competitive, this would not be nearly as much of an issue. it would be better to make it where parties played against parties, and randoms play against randoms.

Reflective fire is another thing...if I get put on a team where people keep deliberlately running in front of me while I'm shooting and keep running into my grenades to kill-steal I will quit every time.

Go on and add your stat if you want, because people like me don't care about the stats as long as COD is so unbalanced. If they fixed these things, there would be far less people quititng on a regular basis to go find matches where they have a chance of making it 5 feet without getting sniped or hit by a grenade...

I understand the problems which arise from people quitting, but you are trying to punish a symptom instead of addressing the cause. There would also be far less host migration if the host wasn't burdened with so much lag.

rlbl

Bobthrobber wrote:

No. What you are suggesting would affect a lot of players, and you would probably be in the minority yourself as a "non-quitter" so you would probably be disappointed at your wait times to find games.

I think I did say "more likely".  Albeit you make a good point.

The key to the thread is not incurring an undeserved loss, as well as a potentially looking at ways to minimize incomplete games.

And for the record, I seriously do not care about my stats (most people know that by now)

RunAndGun1

I agree that the match making needs to be improved. But, I don't expect that being placed in a game on the losing team will change.

I have found that the main reason for being placed on the "losing" team is usually due to that team having fewer players then the "winning" team. This has been my experience whenever I'm placed in a match that's already underway. So the server is trying to "balance" the match by adding players to the team with fewer players then the other side. Sometimes I've been added to a winning team.

Sometimes people leave their team because they feel that other players on their team aren't contributing enough. This may well be the case. So, I'm not surprised when people bail out. Personally, I only quit a match when the lag is so bad I can't get anything done. If the lag isn't bad, I stick it out. Because I'm more interested in having fun. If my team wins, sure it's cool. But, my enjoyment of COD isn't predicated on winning. It's based on enjoying "playing" the game. If my team wins, great. If not, there's always another match.

Quitters v quitters?  they would be short matches........ good idea though, but wouldn't it be easier just to make stats private.......... so that players who quit because of their stats would be more likely to stay ( i don't give a **** about my stats either).......i don't mind being placed on a losing team, it's more of a challenge

otisman666

The funny thing is that the game can differentiate between full games played and partial games played.  Ever keep track of some of the games won stats?  You don't get credit for parital games, only full games.

The fact that this issue has been raised on every COD game since COD:4 and the developers still do NOTHING to accomadate players indicates to me, that they just don't care about this issue.

iivrruummii

Change the public lobbies to locked lobbies.  Once the game is locked in you cannot leave until the game starts.  When people leave, then no one else joins.  If everyone leaves the game auto-forfeits.  People that leave take a XP% hit or other XP related negative influence.

If you DC more than 25% of the time you no longer earn any XP until you get it back to 25% or lower.

20-25% DC=50% XP loss

15-20% DC=25% XP loss

10-15% DC=5% XP loss

0-10% DC=Full XP gain

I would also like to see a progression system like Halo Reaches where the highest prestige too more than 20 days to achieve.  I think this would help with the quitting and join in progress issues that really plague this game/series.

They throw you into any and every game (losing or winning) to stop boosting I think.  While I hate being thrown into losing games, I can see why they do it.  But I do agree with you.  There needs to be something implemented that will prevent boosting (if a person can somehow convince everyone on the other team to quit), but won't punish a joining player.  I absoultely hate joining a game and having to take a loss due to some idiot who rage quits, because he can't figure out why running out into the middile of enemy fire won't get him any kills.  But they won't do this.  I don't know why they won't, but I just have an instinct that they won't.  They are a company that is so big that all that matters to them at this point is getting the money for it, and not giving the players what they want.  As soon as they have Ghosts realeased, they'll immediately start working on the DLC's and a few nerfs/buffs, but that is it.  If an element is implemented, it is never removed.