1 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next 152 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 5:38 AM by rlbl Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • 110. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
        haysus83

I get what your saying about hackers and immature players ...I just dont think DRM would be the way to go...I play a lot of other games beside cod...playing all these games would be really expensive. ?.thats why I use gamefly...what would happen to that service is DRM were put in place??there are a lot of games out there that are we all wanna play but dont think its worth 60 bucks to play them...maybe if the consoles brought the price down on games DRM could work...but lets be real that is not happening....

• 111. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
          Kothar44

Really?  I thought cigarettes and M rated games were to be sold and marketed solely to adults.  Apparently using colorful and cartoonish additions to marketing only counts against a tobacco company?

Also, I have sen a few times where you intertwine marketing and advertising by calling it the first, but meaning the latter.  Just because a tv commercial doesn't include a pig face reticule, a postage stamp size map, respawns right behind the person that just shot you for instant revenge, neon camouflage and a ridiculously strong aim assist doesn't mean those same items are not being marketed to minors.

• 112. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
            Foxhound-Pro

Kothar44 wrote:

Really?  I thought cigarettes and M rated games were to be sold and marketed solely to adults.  Apparently using colorful and cartoonish additions to marketing only counts against a tobacco company?

Also, I have sen a few times where you intertwine marketing and advertising by calling it the first, but meaning the latter.  Just because a tv commercial doesn't include a pig face reticule, a postage stamp size map, respawns right behind the person that just shot you for instant revenge, neon camouflage and a ridiculously strong aim assist doesn't mean those same items are not being marketed to minors.

Again, simply because it's tounge-in-cheek, colorful, and, in some camos only, cartoonish doesn't mean that they're going out of their way to market directly to kids. This is merely an association and allegation that a portion of the community is making. As an adult, I purchase, will purchase, and have purchased the content because I find comedic value in it.

That said, there's a clear difference. Kid's are being blamed for the social media antics of teenagers. This thread has highlighted children ages 5-12 as being a problem, if not the problem, and alleged that they're being marketed to. In regards to Activision and cigarette companies, I don't see Chappy the Camper selling Call of Duty to any minor like Joe Camel was. That's the emphasis that I'm making.

This is a lose-lose argument in all reality. We'll argue till blue in the face about this. I also intertwine marketing and advertising as they are nearly synonymous. I understand the differences, but for most consumer they'll see it as a unified "they're just trying to get me to buy X."

• 113. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
              ChestSplittah

For the sake of getting past semantics...

kid (kd)

n.

a. A young goat.

b. The young of a similar animal, such as an antelope.

a·dult (-dlt, dlt)

n.

1. One who has attained maturity or legal age.

2. Biology A fully grown, mature organism.

A child is a child. I dont equate my 14 year old son as anything more. That is why, when you see people of a certain age that live with their adult family members, they cannot be classified as grown men or women. A child is a child, 18 and under... and even that can be debated.

• 114. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                Kothar44

A "kid" is anyone under the age capable of purchasing an M rated product on their own.

Why would anyone wish to have camo that highlighted rather than hid their location?  Why would anyone want a reticule that blocks 1/4 or more of their field of view?

For those that wish for content like that for purposes of being colorful, whimsical or comical, with playing dress up and freedom of expression glorified, I suggest going to play The Sims.  That is what that game is all about.  The COD franchise should be about warfare, not accessorizing.  I, for one, hope Ghosts does not include earrings.

Joe Camel never asked a kid to buy cigs either.  I'm old enough to know first hand.  The only marketing to kids claim arose from Joe being a cartoon camel.  personally, I think it was because the cartoon version was cheaper, easier to train and said his lines more clearly than the real camel.  The actual pack of cigs had a pic of a real camel, not Joe.  The commercials never appeared on Saturday morning TV and the print ads were in periodicals aimed at adults, not the under 18 crowd.  WIth the way the Ghosts ads pop up even on kid friendly sites, a case could be made that Activision advertises to minors MORE that Joe Camel.

• 115. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                  Foxhound-Pro

Kothar44 wrote:

A "kid" is anyone under the age capable of purchasing an M rated product on their own.

Why would anyone wish to have camo that highlighted rather than hid their location?  Why would anyone want a reticule that blocks 1/4 or more of their field of view?

For those that wish for content like that for purposes of being colorful, whimsical or comical, with playing dress up and freedom of expression glorified, I suggest going to play The Sims.  That is what that game is all about.  The COD franchise should be about warfare, not accessorizing.  I, for one, hope Ghosts does not include earrings.

Joe Camel never asked a kid to buy cigs either.  I'm old enough to know first hand.  The only marketing to kids claim arose from Joe being a cartoon camel.  personally, I think it was because the cartoon version was cheaper, easier to train and said his lines more clearly than the real camel.  The actual pack of cigs had a pic of a real camel, not Joe.  The commercials never appeared on Saturday morning TV and the print ads were in periodicals aimed at adults, not the under 18 crowd.  WIth the way the Ghosts ads pop up even on kid friendly sites, a case could be made that Activision advertises to minors MORE that Joe Camel.

Regarding Joe Camel, you're right and I incorrectly stated that they were advertising directly to kids. However, the nature of that add campaign was much more believable that they were targeting a much younger market, not only adults, than Activision. Insert Chappy the Camper example here now. That's not happening in any capacity. I'm also curious what kid sites are featuring Call of Duty. If that were the case, then I'm sure someone would have picked it up already considering the tragedies that have happened and the connection to video games that people painfully attempt to make.

I'm not oblivious to the idea that anyone under the mature ESRB/PEGI rating can be labeled as a "child," but that's such a large brush stroke. Add to this that parts of the community have stated that those in the 5-12 age bracket are the problem and it becomes an even bigger issue. This is a huge issue I have with the gaming community. Not just those I'm discussing with, not just with Call of Duty, but the entire gaming community. Such large, sweeping brush strokes are made when a finer discussion is required. End of day, children and kids aren't the problem. Teenagers and young adults are. They're the ones with access to social media. They're the ones that are impatient and seek instant gratification. They're the ones that are honestly screwing it up for the rest of us that are older.

As I said, it's lose-lose. We can all hold our ideas on what Call of Duty should and shouldn't be. I'm fine with the microtransactions that are available, so I must respectfully disagree with your opinion. There's more than I can share here, but it's simply becoming circular. Thanks everyone for their points though.

• 116. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

purple zebra camo

either they are aiming at kids, or there are a lot more pimps playing this game than i assumed.

• 117. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                      Penguinz_46

Kids are a bigger problem than most of the teens imo. Every lobby i get into for zombies or mp has a little kid screaming at adults who pouts and quits when they dont get what they want. I had an amazing game right after cyborg camo launched and landed an eash seventy kills in the game because a team of little kids all were glowing orange for me to kill. They all called me a hacker, which i got over pretty quick, and then one of them wanted a swarm so his friend hacked to join my party and boosted for him and gave him 200+ kills. I reported them, they got reset (saw pn recent players list), and the next day they were prestige masters again with >5000 kills. If anyone want instant gratification its the little kids who will do anything to get what they want. I graduated this year and im getting cursed at by a bunch of seven year olds because i didnt do what rhey want, and seceral times their parents screamed at me for getting more kills than their kid, or even killing him.

Little kids ruin the game for those who are actually mature enough to play cod. P.S. while baby sitting my 10yr old cousin, an add for vengeance came up on the game site he was playing on, not my house or computer so i know my history has nothing to do with it, so kids are seeing this everywhere, eg. BO2's launch, and following progress for the next week, was covered in the news of my hometown...

• 118. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                        Foxhound-Pro

Penguinz_46 wrote:

Kids are a bigger problem than most of the teens imo. Every lobby i get into for zombies or mp has a little kid screaming at adults who pouts and quits when they dont get what they want. I had an amazing game right after cyborg camo launched and landed an eash seventy kills in the game because a team of little kids all were glowing orange for me to kill. They all called me a hacker, which i got over pretty quick, and then one of them wanted a swarm so his friend hacked to join my party and boosted for him and gave him 200+ kills. I reported them, they got reset (saw pn recent players list), and the next day they were prestige masters again with >5000 kills. If anyone want instant gratification its the little kids who will do anything to get what they want. I graduated this year and im getting cursed at by a bunch of seven year olds because i didnt do what rhey want, and seceral times their parents screamed at me for getting more kills than their kid, or even killing him.

Little kids ruin the game for those who are actually mature enough to play cod. P.S. while baby sitting my 10yr old cousin, an add for vengeance came up on the game site he was playing on, not my house or computer so i know my history has nothing to do with it, so kids are seeing this everywhere, eg. BO2's launch, and following progress for the next week, was covered in the news of my hometown...

Cyborg Camo: Yep, that is, in my opinion, bad implementation of a camo that I wanted.

Little Kids: Again, never denied that they can be toxic. Though the point of this thread is about people issuing death threats via social outlets. Little kids, 5-12 is the age I'm assuming you're referring to, don't have that serious of access to social media. Children on this game are definitely a problem, but they don't fit the target of blame here. Unless of course we apply a broad stroke.

From the get go I understand that they can be and are a problem at times, but they're really getting dragged through the mud here. I'd also be very surprised if these experiences reach over to greater than 50%.

I also don't know what site you're talking about or if the games and content are even age rated for him. That's a parenting issue though and I obviously have no say in that matter. However, if he's being exposed to content outside of his target audience, then he's simply collateral damage.

BO2 Launch as news in your hometown does not equal targeted at children. Unless of course you're missing some kind of context. I very much doubt that your news has a 'children's news" and Black Ops 2 was featured there.

• 119. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

I think this has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen yet. Threats against a game dev, cmon people, have we stooped that low. Its a stupid video game nothing more. It changes nothing in your life, and if it does then you have more problems than one should have.

If children are the biggest problem in your life or world of gaming, than again, my word, man up people and be that adult that you are. Kids are just little versions of you, and if they get to you, I feel bad for you. Its a video game. The norm is that video games are for kids (though we know thats not true) But thats the normal attitude towards video games.

Whatever the rating of the game, means nothing, its a "cya" thing for the devs and the publisher, nothing more.

To make threats against a game dev is just plain stupid at best, what may come of it, nothing. Thats why It has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen on here in a long time. To be12 pages deep into it is just sad, this should have died long ago.

1 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next