1 12 13 14 15 16 Previous Next 152 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 5:38 AM by rlbl Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • 130. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
        Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Kothar44 wrote:

Turn problems into long term wins, not bigger problems.

I've been following your and Fox's convo. 

Here's the thing.  People age.  Gamers of today will age to a point when they no longer care about video games.  Every year Activision has to say bye bye to a substantial part of the market. 

Activision of course knows this.  And to resupply their market they have to cater to new generations of gamers.  Hence your, my and others' distaste for all the cartoonish, disguised as ostensibly aesthetic, inter alia, so called microtransactions.

Turning attention to the quote above.  No one representing Activision will ever admit to this.  Like the cig co's 15 years of so ago, they know to do so is tantamount to inviting lawsuits.  Unfortunately, unlike cigs, video games don't have a proven health hazard.  Using it won't kill you.  So, in this respect, I agree with Fox that we're only seeing the beginning of this trend. 

Don't get me wrong.  I agree with much of what you so eloquently articulated.  In fact, it's quite refreshing to know there are others who are aware of the real underlying issues involved.  It's not about nerfing this or that; or a mere buck 99 for this or that; it's the whole trend.

Finally, here's the good news.  Because gamers of old are getting into their 30s and 40s, there wiil be a whole lot of people out there hip to the video game game, if you will.  It's not like when we were kids and our parents were clueless as to what video games even were.  The parents of new generations of gamers are us. 

It's our money and we'll see, starting with Ghost, how unresponsive they'll continue to be. 

• 131. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
          jeepchick

Women are more prevalent in gaming than that. Adults are too.http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713502/esas-gamer-study-average-player-37- 42-percent-of-gamers-female/

This is from 2011. Here are some of the stats:

The average gamer is 37 years old, and has been playing games for 12 years.

The average game buyer is 41 years old.

In 2011, 29 percent of Americans over the age of 50 play video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999. 

72 percent of American households play video games. (100 percent of my household plays games.)

42 percent of gamers are women.

Adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

• 132. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
            Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I'm quite skeptical about these numbers.  First you have to consider the source.  From ESA's own website.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is the U.S. association exclusively dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of companies that publish computer and video games for video game consoles, personal computers, and the Internet.  (emphasis mine.)

http://www.theesa.com/about/index.asp

Second these are general numbers.  Even presuming their reliability, the numbers do not breakdown who plays what.  For example, my aunt, who's in her early 40s, plays Mahjong online for free.  I'm certain she wouldn't pay upwards of $130 to play CoD, 

We're talking about BOII and CoD so I'll have to trust common sense and my own personal experience on this one.

When I bought MW3 on its release day in 2011 with my 9 year old son, the only women in line were moms with their male children.  I didn't see one female below the age of 35 or so.  The vast majority were teenage (many of them under 18 mind you) and adult males. 

Moreover, the stats are counterintuitive, to say the least, when you consider how few females on the one hand, and how many children on the other, one sees or hears in public matches.

With all due respect, your numbers don't say much, if anything at all, about whether or not CoD attracts underage children and females of all ages. 

• 133. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
              BanHaMMer

This is where we women gamers are smarter than you men, we don't stand in lines for games. Ugh! I can assure you there are plenty of gurl gamers, we just don't carry on like guys do. You may get the odd gurl not playing with her clan verbalizing,  but not often.

I know for a fact several gurl gamers who have been Number1 on the KILLZONE and RESISTANCE leader boards and maintained there position on there for months and none of the boy baby gamers knew they were women. Let alone playing against all female Clans and getting there butts handed to them. Before you say anything about those leaderboards, those games are moderated (ingame moderators) as are the leader boards. So very little cheating or boosting, unlike COD.

Finally, we have more female game testers at Sony than men

• 134. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

We're talking about BOII and CoD so I'll have to trust common sense and my own personal experience on this one.

When I bought MW3 on its release day in 2011 with my 9 year old son, the only women in line were moms with their male children.  I didn't see one female below the age of 35 or so.  The vast majority were teenage (many of them under 18 mind you) and adult males. 

Moreover, the stats are counterintuitive, to say the least, when you consider how few females on the one hand, and how many children on the other, one sees or hears in public matches.

With all due respect, your numbers don't say much, if anything at all, about whether or not CoD attracts underage children and females of all ages. 

You base your opinion on a very small sample (your personal experience). Unless you were present at multiple venues at opening day, throughout the world, your personal experience really doesn't show much in the way of what the COD population looks like. Moreover, what you see on opening day does not account for purchases that are made online, ie Amazon, that don't require physical pickup at a venue. I'm sure you've played many matches and have been in tons of lobbies, but what you hear or see in the lobbies may or may not be an accurate portrayal of what is actually happening. Yes, I agree, it sounds like there are sooooooo many more children than women in the lobbies, but in an average lobby, how many people usually have their mics on? Or how many females have overtly female PSNs? I, for one have an overtly female name, but I've come across several other female gamers who do not. So what you "hear" or "see" in the lobbies is not a very good indication of what is.

• 135. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

This is so right.

I haven't read all this stuff, but people why on earth are you kidding yourselves into thinking it's all really young and little kids who are rude?

I mean seriously? MOST of the really aggressive and rude people that I hear moaning have to be at the very least 25 years old. Many are a lot older than that.

Infact many of the younger people are much more civil in my experience.

• 136. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                    ghamorra

Guys and Gals,

Allow me to redirect this conversation away from exclusive children bashing. Immature players, both young kids and young adults, are what I'm trying to get at. Childish behavior across the board is what gets this community a bad reputation.

• 137. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                      Kothar44

This wasn't about gaming, it was about BLOPS 2 and even I estimated the female contingent at 2 or 3 times that reported.

Sorry I did not have any real data, Activision won't supply it.  I still think there are many times more males under 17 than females of any age playing this game.

• 138. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                        Kothar44

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

I finally looked up and read the entire post by Mr. Amrich and found it much less a complaint about death threats (there were none given as examles, but he did provide people tweeting "Yet Vahn often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person."  While these are obviously comments that should never be made, they are hardly "death threats" to Van or any other devs at TreyArch.

In fact, when reading the entire post, the point is that the idiots that post they hope Van "dies in a fire," which he expounds on to say are in every community and not isolated to this one, are bad for the gaming industry because they are the voices that are heard.  He is not worried about Van's life (nor should he be since there are no real death threats) he is worried about public perception of the gaming industry.  The entire gist is more of a 'shhhh be quiet out there so we can't get blamed in a lawsuit" than anything else, and frankly rather self serving.

Are there A-holes in this and other gaming communities?  Yes.  Are there A-holes in any community with 25-30 million members? Yes.  Would the media rather report on the A-holes than the saints?  Yes.  So why, in all his wisdom would Mr. Amrich choose to post the A-holes in his blog?  Would he not be better served by posting all the positive comments and constructive criticism?  Ahh, but that does not gather readers, does it?  A second self serving aspect of his post. Shame on you Mr. Amrich.

Below is a copy of a portion of the blog, found in its entirety at: http://oneofswords.com/2013/07/editorial-stop-threatening-game-developers/

Yet Vahn often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person. If anybody thinks for a second that this is okay, it is not. But if the loudest voices in the Call of Duty “community” act like an angry mob instead, guess how the entire world views Call of Duty? Now consider that these Internet Tough Guy rants and demands are not unique to COD, but exist everywhere, in many gaming communities. This is why the world often does not take gaming seriously; this is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny ********. Because the immature, whiny ******** are louder.

• 139. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                          Foxhound-Pro

Kothar44 wrote:

Having to constantly deny there are any problems other than the occasional nerfing of a gun must drain on you all personally.  Like your co-GlobalModerator that threatened some punk with a perma ban for calling the game "Hack Ops 2" earlier today.

I wanted to respond to this part.

Context: http://community.callofduty.com/message/414640403#414640403

Explanation: The phrase "action being taken against your account" refers to a traditional set of bans that most forums have and a few which exceed that. The latter of which are reserved for people who are sending hostile PMs and spambots.

I am fine with the decision that codblackice was going with, but he should have stated "additional posts similar to this content may result in action being taken against your account." His current wording gives off the impression that any future posts will result in action taken against their account regardless of intent. That's not how we operate. We forum moderators value constructive discussion over rage content. We also often reboot threads which are too hostile, but hold a legitimate concern or issue in an attempt to gather something that the developers can work with.

Please note that there some threads and accounts that are not given this option though. Those often violate our guielines in such a way that we must make the objective decision to remove them. Think of the tweets that were being sent to Vahn which sparked this huge discussion. Content like that results in immediate, permanent bans.

Action: I'll edit codblackice's response and send that user a notice to clear up any confusion. I'll also talk to codblackice about it.

P.S. - Thanks for the praise that I had to edit out. I try to remain as level headed and open as possible. I was birthed so to speak from the community back in the Modern Warfare 2 days. I understand that communication, regardless if we agree or disagree, is very important. The problem is that my team and I can only do so much.