1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 89 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 1:18 PM by ddan9459 Go to original post RSS
      • 60. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
        gotsomestars

My first gaming system was called " intelevision"  . Then an Atari , then the newer Atari.

• 61. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
          Yppecaye_the_Dogged

stevemcqueen1228 wrote:

All of your arguements are based on the premise that COD is designed to intice younger players.

The fact is that the average gamer is 30 years old and about 2/3 of gamers in the US are 18 years or older.  If Activision is intentially marketing this game to younger players they do so at the risk of alienating 2/3 of the gamers in US - these numbers are on the ESA website.  Perhaps they do not realize that these little kids are annoying.  Personally I think there are a lot less of them than it is assumed here - its just they always have Mics and are memorable for the immaturity they spew.

Fact: having played hardcore for long enough I have ran into my fair share of boosters.  Of those who are stupid enough to have Mics on, about half have voices that have dropped

Just sayin'.

Your stats are misleading.  2/3 of all games, including numerous differnt genres.  Your take would carry more weight if you gave stats for FFS v. other types.  For example, considering role playing games have a huge following, your 2/3 might drop sustantially in proportion.  (It's always a good idea to link the source when quoting stats.)   

Moreover, I think the OP and many other here are speaking more about maturity level, as oppsed to age level (though age oftentimes correlate with immaturity.) 

The issue is to first identify and eliminatate the elements of the game that attract the immature, and then determine whether or not it's even realistic to expect it  given economic realities. 

• 62. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
            Yppecaye_the_Dogged

There was consul wars then too.  Atari 2600 (just Atari then) v. Intellivision.  FWIW, Intellivision had better graphpic. 

Me and my Little League friends used to play Intellivison's baseball for hours. http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/sports.html#baseball

Good ol' days....

• 63. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
              Foxhound-Pro

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

stevemcqueen1228 wrote:

All of your arguements are based on the premise that COD is designed to intice younger players.

The fact is that the average gamer is 30 years old and about 2/3 of gamers in the US are 18 years or older.  If Activision is intentially marketing this game to younger players they do so at the risk of alienating 2/3 of the gamers in US - these numbers are on the ESA website.  Perhaps they do not realize that these little kids are annoying.  Personally I think there are a lot less of them than it is assumed here - its just they always have Mics and are memorable for the immaturity they spew.

Fact: having played hardcore for long enough I have ran into my fair share of boosters.  Of those who are stupid enough to have Mics on, about half have voices that have dropped

Just sayin'.

Your stats are misleading.  2/3 of all games, including numerous differnt genres.  Your take would carry more weight if you gave stats for FFS v. other types.  For example, considering role playing games have a huge following, your 2/3 might drop sustantially in proportion.  (It's always a good idea to link the source when quoting stats.)   

Moreover, I think the OP and many other here are speaking more about maturity level, as oppsed to age level (though age oftentimes correlate with immaturity.) 

The issue is to first identify and eliminatate the elements of the game that attract the immature, and then determine whether or not it's even realistic to expect it  given economic realities. 

A big problem is that people who state something is immature are then following up with "kids" as a descriptor in continued or further discussion.

Broad strokes for a complex issue are being made.

• 64. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
                xtlc2003

Haha, Epic.

My cousin tells me I had an Atari before that, which model?, who knows, I didn't even remember having one, much less what model type

Good ol days indeed. I remember playing mario bros (or was it super mario bros,,, who knows?) a whole weekend straight when I got it for Christmas that year. Joy Joy Joy....

Aside from that,,,, the 80s and 90s to some extent were kind of bland. We were uber conservative back then, biker shorts were about as controversial as we got,,,, compare that to modern fashion......

• 65. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
                  Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Come to think of these old systems, it was all about gameplay then.  Graphics simply wasn't much of an issue because, well, there just wasn't much of it.  LOL. 

But there was value in the simplicity.  I remember one of the aforementioned Little League friends would just beat me every single freakin' game, and barely.  He was just better at the gameplay.   

No one wanted a bright orange bat then.  Maybe that's why so many mature gamers here are crying foul. 

• 66. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
                    sennalike

Best I avoid talking fashion, I'll only embarrass myself.

• 67. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
                      gambit1969

Haha i bet you still have your Sonny Crocket white suit at the back of the closet...

• 68. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
                        Foxhound-Pro

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

Come to think of these old systems, it was all about gameplay then.  Graphics simply wasn't much of an issue because, well, there just wasn't much of it.  LOL. 

But there was value in the simplicity.  I remember one of the aforementioned Little League friends would just beat me every single freakin' game, and barely.  He was just better at the gameplay.   

No one wanted a bright orange bat then.  Maybe that's why so many mature gamers here are crying foul. 

Did they offer different bat colors?

• 69. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
                          Izjar11

gotsomestars wrote:

My first gaming system was called " intelevision"  . Then an Atari , then the newer Atari.

My first taste of a console was called a calico vision

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Coleco-vision-console.jpg/300px-Coleco-vision-console.jpg

1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next