18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 1:24 PM by vims1990 RSS

Discussion: Thoughts on the Odin Strike

vims1990

So I'm sure everyone is aware about the Odin Strike.

For those who don't, it's an event on the map "Strike Zone" in which you have to be the first person to complete a field order. When you complete the field order, you call in a care package and once collected, you call in the Odin strike and the map changes & kills the opposing team. It can only be called in once.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/08/15/odin-strike-is-similar-to-moab-earned-by- field-order-though/

Now my thoughts on it:

I'm not a fan of the Odin Strike.

Reasons:

- Field Orders look way too easy. (i.e shoot an enemy in the back to earn a Odin Strike)

- An Odin Strike in a care package seems "cheesy" in my opinion.

- Even if it is a "dynamic map" feature, it still kills the ENTIRE opposing team for something that isn't that difficult

If I was to change it, I would not let it kill the opposing team and just give the team who earns the Odin Strike "Double XP" for the rest of the match for example.

What are your thoughts on the Odin Strike?

• Re: Discussion: Thoughts on the Odin Strike
          Steve2589

Yep agreed but I don't know whether the Odin Strike definitely kills the enemy team or it depends where it lands. I think what happens is the strike hits the middle of the map and anyone there is killed. Since Strike zone is small there's a high chance of it killing everyone. I'll have to look at more YT videos to be sure though

Submit2MyWill

Isn't the Odin Strike up for grabs by anyone, though?

basketball1367

According to one of PrestigeIsKey's videos, he thinks the settings for the Demo were set to the care package on Strike Zone always being the Odin Strike. He thinks that in the actual game, the Odin Strike (or as the game calls it, the K.E.M. Strike) will be a rare item.

rankismet

Just wait till it kills EVERYBODY in HC. :)

Personally... have it wreck the buildings and anyone it them.

... and...

I 100% agree they seem tooo easy to get but the focus seems to be on altering the map with it versus killing the other team.

biron_w

Either make Field Orders harder to get or make it so it doesn't kill the other team.

TL_Bare_B_V2

Candice posted this in another thread, I've bolded the important bit to this thread:  http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200744302

Field Orders:

• Randomized challenge drops on the battlefield that awards players with a Care Package when completed
                    • Refills your ammo & equipment
                    • First blood will always drop the first Field Order briefcase
                    • Could be anything from getting a headshot to using your Lethal.
                    • Also a way the player can trigger the dynamic map event on Strikezone (the chance to receive it will be lower in release than it was at the event)

So it won't appear everytime.

vims1990

TL_Bare_B_V2 wrote:

Candice posted this in another thread, I've bolded the important bit to this thread:  http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200744302

Field Orders:

• Randomized challenge drops on the battlefield that awards players with a Care Package when completed
                        • Refills your ammo & equipment
                        • First blood will always drop the first Field Order briefcase
                        • Could be anything from getting a headshot to using your Lethal.
                        • Also a way the player can trigger the dynamic map event on Strikezone (the chance to receive it will be lower in release than it was at the event)

So it won't appear everytime.

Thanks for that, It does make it less annoying compared to what it looked like during the reveal event.

I really do like the whole idea of changing the map but I wished it just happened without killing your team or the opposing team.

iAmEFFeX

I think that it's great. It's a really cool twist on the classic nuke. Not only is it cool graphically, but it makes the nuke event more accessible to players who would have otherwise never had a chance of obtaining it. I'm happy to see IW thinking outside the box.

Changing the map is fine, but I'm uncomfortable with the Odin strike being obtained from a random care package drop that you get from field orders. Ideally I'd make it like the MW3 MOAB (25 gunstreak) with the added map destruction.

I really just don't like the idea of randomly being killed off a killstreak by an unavoidable explosion just because someone completed some ingame challenge and got lucky with his care package reward from it.

Either that or limit it to certain playlists like Cranked so I can avoid it while playing Kill Confirmed, TDM or Domination.

dtuchpunk

at first it's the K.E.M strike. At least is says it it. They can't get things straight.

the odin is a support killstreak rewards that can deploy

1. care packeges. One at the time takes time to reload
                            2. AI juggernaut
                            3. smoke
                            4. flash/mark

the olin the assault variant

1. care package
                            2. AI juggernaut
                            3. small rod
                            4. big rod

The K.E.M is more an olin which shoots a shitload of rods in one go.

And about it. it should be a random event that happens somewhere between the one minute mark and the 9 minutes mark or not at all. Nobody gets the kills points.

Any reward that kills without any effort should be left out of the game

ge0rdiemark

Got a kEM just now playing on my sons account with 1 kill LOL -

joined a game, shot  guy with care package in back on Strikeout, took care package - KEM strike.

1 kill LOL, got my dog and killed all enemy team with 1 shot

Assault is Loki Satellite.

This was posted in August when the name for K.E.M probably wasn't fully known.

Get over it. It may not be the smartest thing for a developer to put in a game like CoD, but it is on one map, dependent on being able to complete the orders (not all of them are super easy), and getting lucky. It is such a small thing to complain about.

vims1990

Gambitual wrote:

Get over it. It may not be the smartest thing for a developer to put in a game like CoD, but it is on one map, dependent on being able to complete the orders (not all of them are super easy), and getting lucky. It is such a small thing to complain about.

I'm over it, don't you worry about that.

However, I felt that there were other alternatives for the KEM strike to activate either through a random event half way through a match or simply not killing the entire enemy team if called in.

vims1990

dtuchpunk wrote:

And about it. it should be a random event that happens somewhere between the one minute mark and the 9 minutes mark or not at all. Nobody gets the kills points.

Any reward that kills without any effort should be left out of the game

Yeah, my thread was from 5 months ago so the info wasn't completely accurate.

But I do agree with what you said about making it a random event.