11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 7:14 AM by Momba1 RSS

another lag trhead/matchmaking issue

zrt23

hi there,

Now is worst than never, i can't find a game with less than 80 ping + the game freeze randomly. Guyz teleports and other BS.. All players i meet are from russia, poland , belarus, turkia , saudi arabia, india... WTF

I'm a french frog , my ping is 16 on my isp , and 35-40 in others FPS like BF3, RO2, MOH.. (I play on german servers usually).

It's odd on BO2 I can meet french /german/italians/UK only on evening (after midnight GMT) when there is less than 6000-8000 players online and i'm switched vs random countries noticed above during the day when 12000+ players online. It happened the whole day yesterday and today..

Seriously i'm tired of this pooh matchmaking..

• Re: another lag trhead/matchmaking issue
          Momba1

Play at peak hours for your local time zone. Your normal server is in Frankfurt, GER.

Pff..when I play late, my time, duh I see players from China, Russia, Germany, UK, etc. The problem again is the low player count. Also, as much as I truly like and friend players from all over the world (nice guys) the lag when playing together ruins it for everyone.

Someday there will be neutrino communication transceivers throughout the world and once there are enough bye-bye to global lag! Perhaps your children's children can game at 10 ms lag to anyone on the planet.

zrt23

You did not understand, actually it's peak time in EU, and i just meet players with 150 ping from argentina, brasil and arabia saudi again..

Only one spanish in the lobby, no french nor germans. I checked my bandwith/ping and it works like usually.

Matchmaking is broken. I played in TDM softcore -_- . I might find players from my country or around..

Edit: But i can meet french/germans players with decent ping when i'm off-peak (<6000 players) late on evenings. So WTF ??!!

Momba1

Pff...every location has "its" own 'peak hours' maybe you stumbled into yours as late in the evening. I'm located in the USA and "our" peak local time is 6:00PM - 11:00PM EST (UTC -5:00).

zrt23

omfg, i'm not that dumb -_-'

i posted when it was 'peak hours' in my location (6:39PM GMT).

That's why i do not understand why i cannot find players around me at these hours but i can find french/german or wathever decent ping players when off-peak (over 11:00 PM GMT).

Momba1

Some lobbies are packed with Parties and some morons playing (I've been one of them a few times myself) with foreign + domestic mixes. Some of my best Steam friends are scattered all over the world and 'when' (very rare) we play together it screws-up the Lag and we know it...

Some players have absolutely no clue what a 'good' connection is and for the love of God use their WiFi, cheap ISP's, 4G phones, Satellite, share their in-home connections with others streaming HD movies, and/or otherwise crap connections.

IF someone 'Lag Switches' on a PC then they're a tard, IP Flooding is extremely rare which leaves dumb players and their crap connections 99.9% of the time. Maybe in Europe your ISP's are garbage, ditto with some in the state here!

Again, welcome to a AAA game with FFF players in the mix (some not knowing it).

zrt23

I agree but I played folks that admitted to deliberately 'nerf' their bandwidth by running a P2P client and/or random video stream in background of their machine. They argue it give them an advantage from the lag comp, rewind time or how you name it.

That's stupid, they contribute to make the game even more lagging that it already is.

Momba1

Nah that doesn't work, it just lags them worst not to mention all of the other players suffer from a laggy game.

When my ping suddenly goes like a pogo stick and I'm feeling extremely laggy I often come to find it's my daughter having a heavy foot on our connection and I quit until she's done (often it's NetFlix) -- it makes it unplayable for me and I have a 50/35 FiOS connection. It's like talking through a 'fan blade' = choppy.

By far my best gaming experience for low-lag is when I'm playing by myself, nobody is home, I'm not Hosting a Party, and not in a Steam Chat. Otherwise if anyone I'm playing with has a connection issue then pff their crap connection becomes my crap connection; i.e. Parties + Steam Chat.

zrt23

Well perhaps it's due to the double XP week end. I'm not used to play on week ends. Some friends told me they have same issues/lag spikes..etc.. But they said it's normal when double XP.

Tbh, i do not think it's normal. Well i'll see tomorrow when double XP is over..

radical_53

As I'm only playing Hardcore modes I'm used to this now, sadly. Many people with 150ms ping and, very rarely, something with a decent connection that you can actually hit "correctly".

zrt23

Well, after to have asked others players with the same ISP (and often same ping/jitter issues), it seems the problem of freeze/ constant lag spike come from my ISP. They actually deploy VDSL to replace ADSL and it causes many bugs/lag spikes.

I should be happy because in 2 or 3 months my connexion will increase from 20down/1up to 50down/6up. But until the migration is not complete and there is not a stable hardware update for my modem/router, i'll be pissed off...

Otherwise, some others dudes (from France) with different ISP have the same problem, so i guess it does not come only from my ISP but also from 3arc servers...

Momba1

It's the ISP but it's how the ISP's connect and the number of 'hops' it takes you to the 'gaming' data center and back. The more the hops switches/routers/etc the more the delay (+ms), and in some cases in-game re-routing.

Again, someday everything will be 100% optical fibre and maybe even neutrino communication transceivers; no more satellites or transoceanic cables. The speed light is ~20 ms (~40 ms as a ping or back and forth) from the USA to Europe, but current routing, switches, etc adds ~120+ ms; my pingtest from FL, USA to Frankfort, GER is ~ 150 ms with 2 ms of jitter.Therefore, routing 150 - 40 = 110 ms loss from switching and packet forwarding.

The 'quality' of your ISP for gaming isn't in the Mbps up/down, instead it's the hops (routing/equipment) to the backbones.