29 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2015 2:44 PM by jiffylubeyou RSS

What kind of code is for the Wind and Ice riddles?

PFISH1

I've seen a bunch of Youtube videos looking for an explanation on how to solve the riddles. 

I've seen that the Fire Staff is about ternary and binary code.

I've seen the the Lightning Staff is musical notes and a keyboard.

But, I have not heard an explanation on what the Wind and Ice riddles' code means.

Those triangle dots and I's and L's and upside-down F's.  Nobody has explained that.  I've seen drawings on how to match symbols for the Ice riddle and for the Wind riddle, people are saying, "Just have your screen match my screen."  That's not good enough for me.  I want to understand it.  Does anybody know about that code?  What kind of numbers are those? 

Thanks for your help.

• Re: What kind of code is for the Wind and Ice riddles?

I don't think its anything.
          As far as I know, those symbols are random squiggles. They mean nothing, they are just a challenge.

Just upgrade your staff and be happy with it, don't think to much into things on Origins because its all a childs game so everything on it means nothing.

Ice

Ice Puzzle.png

Wind (Got it randomly see solution below)

Wind Puzzle.png

For complete Spoiler/Walk thru

Origins "Lost Little Girl" Detailed Text Walk Thru (Relocated)

Killbook

With ice, it's best to do shoot them randomly until one turns over and mark which symbol was on the rock that turned over and mark the symbol that was on the rock not on the roof and keep doing that over and over until you get the pattern.

Wind, just do it random or look it up online because it's the same pattern as everytime.

PFISH1

I think you guys are missing the point of my thread.  I know how to do it.  I'm just looking for what numerical language it is so I can understand.

For instance, Roman numerals are I, V, X and so on.

In Buried, when decoding the Gunsmith rooftop after adding the lantern, we know that was a tic-tac-toe cypher.

The circles and dots in Origins are ternary and binary codes.

I want to know what numerical language the Ultimate Wind Staff riddle is.  Nobody seems to know.  Everyone just says they got it randomly and to just copy what they did.  That's fine and all, but I want to understand the puzzle.

Killbook

I think you're missing the point we're making. There isn't a specific sequence or anything like that. My assumption is that it's just random. It's all solved at random.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

So trial and error puzzle that is your answer

PFISH1

Not buying it.  If that we're the case, then they could have just put random letters or numbers there or something... not some random chicken-scratch markings.  There has to be a method to the madness of these symbols.  It's clearly some kind of coding.  On the Ultimate Wind Staff riddle, the four lines on the ceiling are pointing to the walls, and on the wall in front of each line is another one of these symbols.  I believe that each line must add up to equal the number on the wall in front of it.

And if you don't know the answer to my question, don't bother responding.  "Randomness" is not an answer.  It's clear that it is a code of some sort.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

Obviously you are either a kid or an uptight adult so I will leave you alone but with that attitude you wont get far. It's not my problem you are getting mad so Good day

PFISH1

That solves nothing.  Get your troll BS outta my thread k thanks bye.

Killbook

Nobody was or is trolling. We're trying to help you by telling you that everyone found this out by just doing process of elimination and randomness. No one knows the coding's exact meaning so this means you'll have to do the same. If you aren't going to at least be nice or anything, then don't bother posting. You wanted our help and we tried. If it wasn't the response you were looking for, don't throw a hissy fit and get mad at us, just say "okay. thanks for trying" and go look somewhere else.

PFISH1

This really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.  If you don't know the answer, don't say anything.  I'm not looking for guesses and speculation.  Chalking it up as a "trial and error puzzle" is the most simple-minded response you can give to my question.  It is not a trial and error puzzle.  And why would I go look somewhere else for answers??  This is a zombies message board.  I would think someone out there would be smart enough to have this coding figured out instead of simply making your screen match someone else's screen. 

Oh and calling me names and telling me I'm mad... That's trolling bro. 

PFISH1 wrote:

This really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.  If you don't know the answer, don't say anything.  I'm not looking for guesses and speculation.

Ok, soooooooooooo... WHY multiple by 4? And i'm still looking at the wind riddle photo and i can't make ANY sense of it... The line on the right : LI, T, F, T...

T = 0 right?... so what sense those this makes? That line is = 9... then the line to the left... can't see the last sign, but clearly a **** ton more than 9 for sure... so why the left line has to be = 9 and not the others? Since you wanted explanation on the riddle, i still believe in a trial and error process since it makes no SENSE whatsoever, unless someone can find some clue on the map that actually would help identify that riddle...

PFISH1

I don't see T's anywhere... I think you are talking about the triangle dots there.  Anyway, the only four symbols I see are triangle dot, I, L, and upside-down F.

Triangle dot = 0 because there are zero lines in it.

I = 1 because it has one line in it.

L = 2 because it has two lines in it.

Upside-down F = 3 because it has three lines in it.

You talked about the line on the right of the photo.  It has L I, triangle dot, upside-down F and triangle dot.

L I = 2 times 4 + 1, which equals 9

Triangle dot = 0

Upside-down F = 3

Triangle dot = 0

Add those four together and you get 12 on that row.

That row of numbers points to a symbol on the wall... I believe the symbol should be upside-down F and triangle dot...

Upside-down F and triangle dot = 4 times 3 + zero, which equals 12... and that is what you need to make the row pointing to it equal.

I cannot explain why you must multiply the first number by 4 when there are two symbols, or why you must multiply the first symbol by 16 and the second symbol by 4 when there are three symbols.  This is just the numerical language.  I found this on COD wiki if it helps you understand better: The symbols are base 4 representations of numbers, with the number of lines in each shape being the value for each power of four

WHat if its a mash of Greek alphabet and roman numarals, and cool looking symbols to go along with children creating their own language. And maybe she knows how to play piano.

from what I have seen... the dots are a mix of ancient Mayan number system and their words for their numbers... and the lines with triangles are a mix of ancient Babylonian number system and the words for their numbers... so the puzzle is matching the Mayan  number and word system to the Babylonian number and word system.

for example if the Mayan dot is completely filled in that stands for number... and how many dots there are is that corresponding number.. then you match that up with the Babylonian number...

If the Mayan dot  is not completely filled in that stands for the word of the number.. which means this equals a different word in Babylonian language....

I might be the only one that understands the question that you're asking, as I too have been wondering what the symbols stand for. After seeing this thread and how many people don't seem to be capable of more intelligent thought, I decided to try and decipher the code myself. (Which would be the first time I've ever attempted this.)

I am pasting the final result of a word document into the reply as an indented section to signal the word document's beginning and end:

________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

The symbols hollow circle and full circle high, full circle low, full circle high appear to be equal to one another. This means that 0 = 111

This follows the cuneiform system in where 1 and 60 are shown as the same symbol. Also, it means that following the pattern, there is a limited number of digits that can be attained.

The symbol patterns of the Origins staff puzzles seem to be based off of a mix of ternary numerals and cuneiform numerals in appearance and function.

The Decimal system uses 1- 9 with 0 as a place holder

The Cuneiform system uses 1 – 60 and a space as a place holder

The Ternary system uses 0 – 2 for its digits

The Binary system uses 0 – 1 for digits

The ternary based system in Black Ops Zombies Origins uses an empty circle for 0, full circle for 1, and two vertically placed full circles for 2.

The symbols follow a somewhat similar pattern and have a similar application. However, this assumes that there is no connection to the cuneiform system’s numerical similarity between 1 and 60.

The following terms are used for an easier description of the unknown symbols:

Staff – applies to the vertical stick capped by a triangle.

Crown – applies to the singular triangle

Staff + Lateral – applies to the vertical stick and triangle with one Staff placed laterally on the bottom

Staff + Lateral 2x – applies to the vertical stick and triangle with two Staff placed laterally on the bottom and middle

Below is a list of known matches based off the ice staff puzzle

(The question marks are placeholders for unknown  symbols, these were absent from the ice staff puzzle and may be included as part of the wind staff puzzle)

0 = staff, staff

1 = staff

2 = ?

10 = staff + lateral 2x

11 = staff, crown

12 = ?

20 = ?

21 = staff, staff + lateral

22 = staff + lateral, crown

100 = ?

101 = staff + lateral, staff + lateral

102 = staff + lateral, staff + lateral 2x

110 = ?

111 = staff, staff

112 = ?

Grammar Rules

Staff = 1

Staff + lateral = 2

Staff + Lateral 2x = 10

(This is in accordance to the observation that Staff +Lateral 2x only appears in numbers that involves the numbers 1 and 0 together, whether it be 10, 102. {an exception is made for 101 however, where the second lateral of the Staff + Lateral 2x seems to be carried over to the Staff to create two Staff + Lateral})

When the presence of a Staff + Lateral 2x is accompanied with a single Staff, the second lateral is carried to the Staff to even out the laterals.

Crown is used as an operation in which the number of the previous symbol is repeated, as in 11 or 22

When the symbols are converted to ternary and again converted into decimal, the value for the symbols should be equal to the decimal value. This explanation of the Origins numerical symbols was attained by an analysis of the ternary code and the matches to the symbols for the ice staff puzzle. In no way any of the findings certified by in game information and is only my best personal attempt to understand the meaning of the symbols.

When the presence of a Staff + Lateral 2x is accompanied with a single Staff, the second lateral is carried to the Staff to even out the laterals.

Crown is used as an operation in which the number of the previous symbol is repeated, as in 11 or 22

When the symbols are converted to ternary and again converted into decimal, the value for the symbols should be equal to the decimal value. This explanation of the Origins numerical symbols was attained by an analysis of the ternary code and the matches to the symbols for the ice staff puzzle. In no way any of the findings certified by in game information and is only my best personal attempt to understand the meaning of the symbols.

________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I hope that this helps you, I'm not entirely sure if this is 100% correct, however it is closer to an answer compared to the answers the people on this site have been giving. Before anyone attempts to ridicule me for having no life, over-thinking the game, wasting time on pointless efforts, etc... I would like to state beforehand that I am a college student that is majoring in the sciences, as well as doing research. This type of thing is going to be my daily life, as will analyzing samples and data in order to find a deeper meaning. Also, the entire zombies franchise has a very detailed back-story and has always included many challenging puzzles for people to complete to get more information. If anything, Call of Duty zombies has enough back-story and history attached to every character and type of foe, it should really just be an entire game on its own disk. Over-thinking this puzzle isn't possible because there always is a method or reason behind every moderate detail. Plus puzzles aren't created without a key, that's the same as making a maze that twists and turns forever with no exit. There would be a lack of reasoning behind the puzzle if it really is only trial and error. The point I'm making is that there are little hidden details around the map that contain clues for the Easter Egg. An example is as follows, go into the workshop that separates the generators 1-3 from the rest of no mans land. Next to the table where you can naively build the shield or maxis drone there is a map/image/portrait. Shoot it off the wall and there is a hole behind it containing a lit up piece of paper that requires a magnified scope to read. These types of things contain answers to the puzzles and steps, and are secretly hidden around the map.

- DragonRaiderII

JamiSan

This was some of the most fun I had playing zombies and it was on pause with a notpad and pencil.

They are all inter-related.

small ' dot is 0

I   is 1

L  is 2....

upside down F is three.... see why yet?  a line, then another, then another, so 3 has three lines.

But there is no fourth line, we start over again on 4 so ...

I'  is 4

II is 5

IL is 6

I F (upside down F) is 7...and we keep going, so for 8 we get...

L' is 8, then

LI  is 9

LL is 10

LF (upside down F) is 11...then we again have to increase the first symbol to get to 12 so...

F'  is 12 (upsidedown F)

FI is 13

FL is 14

FF is 15.... and so now for 16 we use three symbols so...

I ' '  (16)  then I ' I (17)  I ' L (18) I ' F (19) I I ' (20) I I I (21) I I L (22) I I F (23) I L ' (24) I L I (25) I L L (26) I L F (27)  ...etc.

So its just like our numbers , only we reset symbols after 10 numbers so after 9 we use 1 followed by 0, then 11,12,13 and when it gets to the highest number ( 9 in our system) we raise the number to the left of it, so after 19 we get, 20, 21 etc.

This system only has 0,1,2,3 ..as in

' = 0

I = 1

L= 2

upside down F = 3

That is the winds usage, the ice uses this as well as a DOT based number system

The ice DOT system has only 3 symbols

0 = 0

(filled in dot) = 1

(dot on top of another dot) = 2

So when the ice puzzle shows you (dot atop another dot) with a single filled in dot next to it, you can look at it and say, that is  2 1,  which we call twentyone,

But the ice puzzle needs to understand the fire puzzle as well, becasue the fire puzz. makes you have to match our normal 0-9 number system to their 0-3 ice system AND the 0-4 wind system. THIS IS EASIER THAN I MAKE IT SEEM.

if you wrote numbers using only 0,1,and 2, this is whatyou'd get.

0=0, 1=1, 2=2 , 10=3, 11=4, 12=5 (and there is no 3 for 13 so we have to increase the first number and startagain, so

20=6, 21=7, 22=8, and we have to add another space now so 100 =9 ,101=10, 102=11, 110=12, 111=13, 112=14, 120=15

so when we get to 222, our next available option is 1000, then 1001, 1002, etc.

Once you understand all three of these number systems , the puzzles are a cinch.

The lighning puzzle is just music notation.

• Re: Re: What kind of code is for the Wind and Ice riddles?

To JamiSan

if you wrote numbers using only 0,1,and 2, this is whatyou'd get.

0=0, 1=1, 2=2 , 10=3, 11=4, 12=5 (and there is no 3 for 13 so we have to increase the first number and startagain, so

20=6, 21=7, 22=8, and we have to add another space now so 100 =9 ,101=10, 102=11, 110=12, 111=13, 112=14, 120=15

so when we get to 222, our next available option is 1000, then 1001, 1002, etc.

The number system that you are talking about has a name. It is called ternary, which is related to binary. Binary uses 0 and 1, while ternary uses 0, 1, and 2. In-game, Treyarch uses the dot symbols to represent the three possible digits from ternary (also considered trinary). As for the wind puzzle, the symbols are also related to ternary, however some rules are required to match perfectly:

Grammar Rules

Staff = 1

Staff + lateral = 2

Staff + Lateral 2x = 10

(This is in accordance to the observation that Staff +Lateral 2x only appears in numbers that involves the numbers 1 and 0 together, whether it be 10, 102. {an exception is made for 101 however, where the second lateral of the Staff + Lateral 2x seems to be carried over to the Staff to create two Staff + Lateral})

This is taken from my previous comment, which admittantly was difficult to read and follow for even myself, that also includes a term legend for simplification of description:

Staff – applies to the vertical stick capped by a triangle.

Crown – applies to the singular triangle

Staff + Lateral – applies to the vertical stick and triangle with one Staff placed laterally on the bottom

Staff + Lateral 2x – applies to the vertical stick and triangle with two Staff placed laterally on the bottom and middle

My point is that in order to solve the fire and wind puzzles, the symbols must all be converted into decimal, making your method the simpler choice to solve the puzzles. However, if you are solving the ice puzzle, my method is the only way to simply convert the unknown symbols into ternary. This makes solving much easier because you only convert one symbol set instead of two.

In the end the result is you discovered a way to convert the unknown symbols into decimal. Thus that means I discovered how to convert the unknown symbols into ternary. Both methods are very useful depending on the situation and how you want to use the values.

- DragonRaiderII

madgamesss

yellow staff is just addition using 4 uses

ice uses a conversion problem 3's into 4

3 uses dots... unfilled dots mean 0 of that group

all filled in dots on the very right mean 1 any other dots below will mean 1 as well

2nd row from the right means 3 any other dots below mean 3 as well

3rd row from the right means 9 any other dots below means 9 as well

if there is 2 dots in the 1st row and in the 2nd row there are 1 this would be 1+1+3= 5

same thing but now what if there was 2 dots in the 2nd row... it would be 1+1+3+3= 8

now 4's same thing basically but lines

1st row 1 still

2nd row 4

3rd row 16

ice is a conversion problem because it's 3's into 4's

yellow is an addition problem because you control the 7+6+8+12+16= part and the answer is on the wall corresponding to the equation above. so basically its math class all over again. lol

jiffylubeyou

First off, the fire staff code isn't ternary to binary, its ternary to decimal, or converting base-3 to base-10 (binary is base-2).  The symbols are actually just like the base-3 problem with the dots, only it is base-4 and with lines instead (its called cuneiform).  The triangle by it's self is a 0, just like the empty dot.  The triangle with a line is 1, and after there are lines connected to the triangle, the number is just however many triangles there are. Now just like the dots where 3 becomes 10,  in the symbol language, 4 becomes 10.  If you notice on the cheat sheet, 3 is 3 triangles connected by a line, and then 4 becomes two different numbers, 1 and 0, which is 10. Then 5 is 1 and 1, which is 11, and that is how it deciphers out, just like the base-3 problems but now in base-4.  It gets really tricky because you gotta convert base-3 to base-4, and honestly the easiest way to do that is just to convert base-3 to base-10, then convert base-10 to base-4, and shoot the stones in their order.  Just remember that no line means 0, and once there is a line, its just number of triangles that are connected to the line makes the number, and two symbols next to each other is just a 2 digit number, like 1 next to 1 makes 11, and 11 in base-4 is 5 in base-10(base-10 is called decimal if you didn't know, and that is what we use today).  This is a lot easier when you already know how to convert with base-3 from the fire staff upgrade puzzle because it is the same concept.  Hope I helped and you could understand what I was trying to say.