1 2 3 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2013 5:42 PM by surridge1990 RSS

Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2

rankismet

The time-out feature in BO2... you know, the one where a player is placed in a time out when they have left too many matches in a specific period... sounded great on the surface.

... but...

... like many ideas in BO2, it didn't work right.

Failed host migration? Counted as leaving.

Kicked from an HC match? Counted as leaving.

To many folks, players leaving matches early is a major issue and the time-out was instituted to address this. Anyone think it really did anything?

Yeah... me neither.

Now, Ghosts will handle at least one of these challenges (on PC and X1, anyway)... no more host migration issues. Getting kicked for TK's in HC? No idea... but ricochet is not the answer. Trust me.

So... what to do?

Add an overall match completion percentage in the combat record. A player's standing with peers can be a deterrent for some. As for the rest?

Make weekly match completion percentage a part of match making. Put all the quitters in a lobby with each other and maybe they'll start to clue in. Reset it at the end of a week so the players who now get it... aren't permanently in the dog house. The perennial quitters can keep quitting together and having no fun until it sinks in.

Almost any idea, TBH, beats the time-out.

• 1. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
          zvers

I've only received the warning for this if I am too trigger happy in HC modes but yeah, it sucks if you are doing well and your teammate happens to run in front of your sentry gun repeatedly on say Nuketown. They die and you get a team kill even though you weren't controlling the sentry. I think they just need to iron out the issues with it in HC.

Hell, I've gotten kicked for a team kill from my stealth chopper which you can't control at all.

• 2. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
            otisman666

Ran:

I see the quitter / dashboarder as a plague to this and many other games.  I agree that the "time out" system had errors built in to it.  But over-all, if it could be applied properly and the penalties got progressively worse for the more infractions incurred, I think it would work. 

I do agree that there should be some type of counter for this as well.  But it should be more glaring like "Matches Quit" or something like that.

• 3. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
              scotland-rules

I think we don't need one because those who leave don't actually care about these penalties, these penalties only really impacted on serious players, especially Hardcore players.

Think about it, win/loss ratio right? Players don't care about leaving or this stat would mean more.

• 4. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
                mdub

A DNF stat, is pointless. It will not achieve anything.

Absolutely nothing, should affect matchmaking, other than best possible connection.

• 5. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
                  iivrruummii

There should be a disconnect percentage on everyone's profile ingame.  Then off of this players could at least decide if they want to play with a team of quitters of quit out before the game even starts.

• 6. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2

I don't think you'll ever be able to stop people from leaving a match. Beyond that reasoning though, there are many legitimate reasons to leave a match:

1) Terrible Team - If you're like me, you always seem to get the Helen Kellers of the match on your team... and you know what, I think I'd prefer her on my team half the time. I'm not talking about players who simply aren't very good. I'm talking about the people who do stupid things and/or ignore the objectives. You have no hope of winning with a team like that. So I figure, if I'm going to lose, why not just take the loss now, and find a new lobby?

2) Bad Match Quality - Let's be honest: Who wouldn't leave a match when you're constantly killed around corners, and can't get kills for nothing when you should be? To me, there's just no reason to play a match like that. You can't do anything effective in a match like that other than get shot. So, that's a good reason to leave.

3) Match in Progress too far to recover - How many times have you joined a match in progress, and had the enemy team raining down air support, your team so far behind that its laughable, and just thought "There is no way to win this."? In that case, why stay? It simply serves to pad the enemy's stats. The best you can hope for is to just get a few kills and call it good.

There are other reasons, but the point is, in Call of Duty, these are the 3 primary issues that I think collectively, can be attributed to the reasons the majority of people leave. Punishing people for those things just seems silly. Instead, we should focus our efforts on reducing people's desire to leave, and not through just punishing them. For example:

To to incorporate some level of skill-based match-making. Include Dedicated Servers so that we can connect to a quality host in our area without having to worry about how many people from the other side of the world we're going to match up to. Don't join us into matches in progress if its already say, 60% over (Or give us the option to disable "Join in Progress").

There are a number of things that can be done to reduce people's desire to leave, and I think that's what needs to be focused on rather than "How long should the temp-ban be?".

• 7. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2

you do realize that lobby would not make the quitters stop at all, for they would not care about it to begin with. plus such a stat would only affect those that cared about it and not everyone. Plus not everyone would look at everyone elses card in the lobby to see what their stat was.

• 8. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
                        biron_w

I know some players quit because they don't like losing or they don't like going negative but there are some players that quit games - especially in BO2 - because they're dumped into a horribly laggy lobby. Am I going to stay in that lobby? Not a chance!

Rather than punishing players for leaving games they should make sure the netcode and match making works fine so players aren't put into laggy games.

They also need a sytem in place where your stats aren't counted if you get put into a game that's already in progress. I play KC and it's very unfair being put into a game where the score is 90-20 and I'm on the losing team. There's no way anybody could pull that back but it'll be counted as a loss for me.

• 9. Re: Leaving games early may be an issue but please do not have a time-out like BO2
                          LifeSong1

While I understand your intentions, this wouldn't truly accomplish anything as others have said. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to leave a game or lobby. I'm not opposed to having the stat, but it wouldn't really do too much.

Someone mentioned the W/L ratio that is already there. I don't typically look at the stat and it doesn't deter me from playing with someone though I do realize it could deter some people.  It does tell you a little bit about that person.  It's an interesting stat just like the DNF stat would be, but ultimately I don't think it would accomplish or tell you much as you don't know why they quit out of those matches.

1 2 3 Previous Next