26 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 11:02 PM by nuttin2say RSS

A discussion on using radar

darkrangeresp

The radar in this game is often a deciding factor in survival.   For most players, the strategy is second nature, but it's surprising how many players don't know how to take advantage of the radar to keep themselves alive.  I thought I would take a few paragraphs and offer some of the techniques that can take full advantage of it. This disucssion will focus mainly on Black Ops 2, however the techniques here will likely carry over well to ghost and other past COD games since the radar mechanic doesn't vary all that much between game releases.

The basics:

In case anybody doesn't know, whenever you fire an usupressed gun or your opponents have a UAV in the air, you appear as an orange dot on the opposing teams minimap.  The supressor prevents this when you fire and the ghost perk will prevent you from being on a UAV if you are moving at half speed or greater.  The orbital V-stat give the opposing team your real time posission and directon and you cannot avoid being on it through conventional means. UAV's can  be shot down and Counter UAV's blind the opposings sides radar completely. 

Using the Radar Defensively:

Quite a few players don't understand that the radar is meant to be a defensive tool rather than offensive one.  It can be used offensively, but this is much harder than it appears.  For most inexperienced players who are out hunting for kills, when they see a little orange dot appear, they immediately travel towards it to get a kill.  When players appear on the radar for firing a weapon, they are usually wounded from a gun battle and have a half empty magazine for killing someone.  However, when players are in a vulerable state they are more alert and expect other players to come and kill them.  Rushing off blindly towards a dot on the map any distance from you is a good way to get yourself killed.

By the time you reach the dot on the map, the other player has recovered any missing health, reloaded and likely moved to a different location.  Also, he may have team mates near by and they will be happy to kill you as well. Instead, you should use the knowledge you gain from the radar to gain the upper hand.  The position the dot is tells where they fired their weapon. Most likely, they are wounded and need to reload.  They are going to try and find a safe place nearby to revcover their health and pop in a fresh mag.  If you have good map knowledge, it's not hard to get an educated guess to where they are going to try and do that.  You should instead use that knowledge to go and flank that position and try to catch them off guard for an easier kill. Also, if you see multiple dots, it might be wise to avoid a group too large for you to tackle alone without the element of surprise.

The radar can also tell you quite a bit about your opposing team's play style.  Having a UAV in the air for 30 seconds reveals a lot.  When your team get's it's first UAV find a safe spot and open the whole map for a few seconds.  Count the number of dots present on a sweep.  This will tell you the number of opposing team members running stealth build.  See if there are any clusters.  This let you know if they are working in fire teams or running lone wolf style.  Watch the dots movements, this will let you know if they are camping, play objectives or just combing the map for kills randomly.  A skilled team armed with this information can dominate any game type and it's well worth the 20 to 30 seconds it takes to glean it. 

I am going stop here to avoid making this too long to digest.  If there is interest in this topic I might add to it later.  Also feel free to share any additional tips you have or ask any questions. 

• Re: A discussion on using radar
          Bielsalmighty

Being a born-again HC player, I'm well conditioned to playing without the mini-map. To be quite frank, I only really use the UAV to get a rough fix of whats happening with the spawns and if I'm about to run into trouble. I use my VSAT primarily to protect my streak, getting kills is a secondary concern. I tend to start of streaks at 100mph, and by the time my VSAT goes up I've almost ground to a halt hahaha!

darkrangeresp

Players tend to be less radar reliant in hard core due to the removal of the minimap with the rest of the HUD.   There are also some players who prefer to do without and that is fine too. I am just trying to offer some advise to players who want to use the radar to improve their performance. 

Bielsalmighty

I did wonder if you'd think I was being holier than thou LOL wasn't my intention at all, was just offering my personal take on Radar use.

Back on Blops 1 I ran Spy Plane and Counter Spy Plane as standard. Amazing how much of an advantage you can gain by spamming those two out. Foxed many an enemy team that did

One thing Ive learned is that when you see a red dot from enemy fire its always hard to guess which direction they went or where they are hiding and etc. Like you said, with map knowledge you can usually have a good idea where the enemy went but its best to just take a quick glance and if you dont see the enemy then just take note and move on.

Way too many times I have jumped the gun after seeing a red dot assuming I knew where the enemy is and ended up gettting killed by that person or his teammate. I would actually consider this a bad habit of mine.

PS

Good topic

Radar is a throwback to good fps games.  Playing this game is the factor in survival as it's your last hope in not being downgraded to pretending children's games make you a good player.  You are over under thinking.    Go fight if you can't get out radar is a joke and you are the punchline.

Killbook

I agree. I don't know why people don't use the radar. I use it to it's full extent.

deamonomic

I use the radar alot. But i use it more for seeing where my team is then anything. Despite what some say Sound whoring is still very much viable. But focusing too much on these things can also get you killed

That is one bad thing about the radar, its easy to stare at lol and looking at it too much will get you killed.

I always find it funny when I run by one of my teammates and he shoots at me... did you fail to see the big green arrow approaching you on the minimap?

Also, only semi-related but I wish decoy grenades from BO1 returned... so much fun to use against noobs. XD

A lot of people go defensive when the other team has a UAV.

But if I don't have Ghost on I tend to rush more aggressively and faster. That way you can shock enemy players when you are in a completely different place to where you was during the last sweep of the radar.

deamonomic

GP95RT wrote:

A lot of people go defensive when the other team has a UAV.

But if I don't have Ghost on I tend to rush more aggressively and faster. That way you can shock enemy players when you are in a completely different place to where you was during the last sweep of the radar.

what he said. Being mobile with a UAV up is smarter then camping. Especially if your moving at speed. the radar sweeps in this game are actually fairly slow in my opinion. You can be quite a distance away from the previous sweep

Everyone should be using the radar to an extent. As far as i'm concerned, if you don't you are putting yourself at a real big disadvantage.

That is why I really hate getting EMP'd.

This is why Counter UAV's are the most under rated kill streak in the game. It sends the other team into disarray. Even in HC its under rated imo tho I dont play much but it seems like f'ing up someones UAV on HC would be a good kick in the nuts tho they are used to not having it.

nicedrewishfela

Good players use all the tools at their disposal in an intelligent, tactical manner.

Bad players use them as crutches.

deamonomic

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Good players use all the tools at their disposal in an intelligent, tactical manner.

Bad players use them as crutches.

is spamming UAV using it as a crutch?

nicedrewishfela

No. It is just a problem with the game that allows that.

My point is, Good players use the UAV productively when they are in the air, bad players chase Dots.

I suppose an example of what you mean could be this:

You are playing SnD. 1 guy left on each team. You are on the planting team and are currently in possession of the bomb. You call in a UAV. You are near bomb site A. You see the enemy player on the radar near bomb site B (or basicallly it could be anywhere not near you).

Many players would simply chase straight after the dot and disregard planting the bomb. However I would probably plant at the site near me and wait for him to come to me hopefully with the UAV still up.

skippinglobster

Very well said nicedrewishfela. However as Darkstaar13 teaches us when punchlines find themselves intelligently or tactically, bad players have a tendency for under over thinking, while children's games would make them better players.

...can't argue with that logic. Literally.

nuttin2say

Good OP. You can expound upon radar and map reading further, but that may be where the problem lies within the community. More than half the people playing this game forget to take their Riddlin and most of the other half simply hasn't been prescribed anything for their ADHD just yet. As a result, they can't sit still long enough to read directions or, God forbid, they think through key aspects of the game.

In any case, whether you use the mini-map or the big map, you don't even need to see any red dots in order to get a fairly solid reading of what the other team is likely doing.

Rule # 1 - Where YOUR team IS, the OPPOSING team is NOT.

Rule # 2 - the general in which the green arrows are pointing is where MOST, not all, of the opposing team is.

Rule # 3 - already mentioned in the OP, on the chance you can see red dots, there should be six (nine in some game modes). However many red dots you do not see, that is how many opposing players are using ghost

Sub-Rule # 3a - Ghost users are most likely moving very fast

Sub-Rule # 3b - Ghost users are most likely on the flank of YOUR team that is closest to the opposing team. For example, if the green arrows are in the middle of the map but point toward the upper left of the screen, the opposing flanker is going to be somewhere to the right of the green arrows.

Rule # 4 - an opponent that is reloading is most likely going to do so behind the closet object or wall to where he expended his ammo AND with his back to the direction from which he came to the engagement.

As with the OP, I'll stop there. Working the radar is really an art form. You either get it or you don't. With time, anyone can figure it out ... but it takes dedication and an open mind.