19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2013 8:56 AM by Pessysquad RSS

By-pass treyach altogether.

BEen thinking of this for a little bit today.... WOuld there be any way possible to create zombies as a stand alone game on our own? FUnding could be raised entirely on kickstarter, there would definatly be a legal team needed to circumvent the rights and licensing, but still possible. We know there's people that can build really good maps and if the community basically created the storyline a while back, why not have those that actually play the game make it?  As far as servers and what not, I don't know what that would require but so many want a stands alone game, why don't WE just make it. Been asking for years and the let down of this fragmented story, it's as if they went at the approach all wrong. I am not trying to bash treyarch by this in anyway, i really do like and enjoy the game play of zombies  as it stands but   there has been some crazy things accomplished thru kickstarter, and with the amount of people wanting the stand alone, I think we could rally this out. I have heard a good amount of maps for the custom scene, but they seem to be more about just survival than the storyline( I could be wrong here) and for most I think they do it out of the love of doing it and never seeing a dime for it. Well if they were to get some real coin, then there would be more for a vested interest and time availability to create what we all would like to see. Jim not saying it would be easy or cheap, but nothing's ever truly impossible. anyone with a Solid background in game programming/ coding?

• Re: By-pass treyach altogether.
          Zombie-Hell-Fire

and you put this on their forums

Go ahead and make it.  Then you can listen to all the cry babies after every single little change cry about how you ruined the game.

DeathBringer-Zen

I have heard a good amount of maps for the custom scene, but they seem to be more about just survival than the storyline( I could be wrong here)

There is custom maps that have customized voices and storylines, and the new TMG mod is going to see some TMG maps that have entire campaign and story modes too, so your dream is already becoming a reality.

Obviously a good PC/Laptop and World at War is required.

Outside of this, there is NO CHANCE you will ever see something like this become a reality outwidth custom Z's.

Tacnimin wrote:

As far as servers and what not, I don't know what that would require but so many want a stands alone game, why don't WE just make it.

Dude....I can't even get a couple of people in a party to discuss a website I offered to build and host.

And you want to develop a whole game?

Good luck. Everyone wants the "great idea" They just want someone else to do all the work.

I Want zero credit for it. Just thought that the funding was the road block for most. THere are people making great maps now without making any money for it, so I thought if they did get compensation it might bring it to fruition. Not my field so that's why I ask. Blops 2 pulled in half a billion dollars in less than a week. SAy 10% is zombie owned. The interest is there, can't get anything accomplished without that initial discussion. Zs is my pastime, so if there were pros in the field, I figured this would be a good a place to ask then any. I did hear a little about the site you're talking about, wish that would pan out too. 

Tacnimin wrote:

I Want zero credit for it. Just thought that the funding was the road block for most. THere are people making great maps now without making any money for it, so I thought if they did get compensation it might bring it to fruition. Not my field so that's why I ask. Blops 2 pulled in half a billion dollars in less than a week. SAy 10% is zombie owned. The interest is there, can't get anything accomplished without that initial discussion. Zs is my pastime, so if there were pros in the field, I figured this would be a good a place to ask then any. I did hear a little about the site you're talking about, wish that would pan out too.

To pull off anything like this, there has to be a "Steve Job's" behind it. Not on the scale of apple but someone with the vision, drive and ability to attract others......to ride shotgun on the idea.

I think your idea is fantastic and if I was wealthy enough that I didn't need to work, I'd put in time towards the cause. However, I don't have the personality or skill set to be the primary ramrod.

As for the website....I've researched most of the features I think would be important and all but a couple are doable with free or opensource code. I have the servers and the time to build it. What I don't have is a core group of people to aid in managing, debugging, ideas, photoshopping (I can do some) and most importantly....seed the thing with a foundation of solid players.

bkblazer

Thats a tough hill to climb. Personally I enjoy the fragmented story. Love the fact that it all started from a bonus gamemode on the side and has evolved into what we now play. I can't imagine Treyarch Zombies not becoming a stand alone game. If it never does than Activision is really missing out.

I think if zombies has inspired you to want to create and write your own story for a game, thats great and wish you good luck. But your not only going to need a legal team, but a damn good legal team.

Do you really think if you had the funding that treyarch and Activision would let you even release a copy of the game without during you and six generations later of your family for everytinng you have. The only reason custom zombies exist is cause its through treyarch giving mod tools on zombies

Sueing not during

I stopped reading at "get kickstarter" because there is so many flaws with that as it is

A) Call of Duty is a multi billion dollar franchise. They don't need kickstarter? Are you honestly proposing using more of your own money when they are already the richest people in the world?

B) The problem isn't getting funding, it's about not releasing more than 1 main CoD game per year. 1 per year as it is everyone complains about over-saturation and milking. They want their main franchise that does over 20 mil, doing another one is series suicide. Look at Guitar Hero.

Anyway that brings me to my next point, there is no way to bypass 3Arc legally. So you're relying on them, which is why I bashed kickstarter above. And even if we used kickstarter, we're not getting those teams and that game polish just like that. We'll come out like WarZ. Sure we'll have better maps than TranZit but it just won't be as good.

Now I've read the rest:

Honestly get WaW for PC. So many great custom maps and story elements being added.

IF you stopped reading then explain how you can make a cognitive response? Had you read it you would have seen that I wasn't referring to 3^ getting kickstarter. This was just a thought of how to make a stand alone game separate from cod pall together, but focussing on zombies. I Never implied that it would be easy in any way, but if you don't ask the question nothing will ever happen. Half empty for you, that's fine.

I Understand the custom scene to an extent( had you read a I little) and there are hundreds, I would prefer a single disc, that were very in depth as what we thought was happening over thaw past 4 yrs, but in a single campaign, then depending on just how well it was recieved, another in 3 years, Give or take.