6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 10:28 AM by Momba1 RSS

Option to disable PTT please!

MrAdaptability

I'm not sure about any of you but I personally hated the fact I couldn't disable push to talk in BLOPS2. I dislike the feature and I know a few others that do as well. If I want to mute myself then my headset has a mute function. Being forced to hold a button for the duration of the time I am speaking is impractical for an FPS especially COD. So how about you my fellow PC gamers? Do you also want the option to disable push to talk?

• Re: Option to disable PTT please!
          Momba1

Well most of the time I use something other than the Game's Push-to-Talk while playing since I typically play in a Party; Steam's Voice Chat, Skype, Ventrillo, etc. The problem is feedback and echoing from other players in an Open-Mic (VOX).

MrAdaptability

I also use Skype or Steam chat while playing with friends or in a party to avoid having to use the PTT plus the voice qaulity in-game does leave a lot to be desired. When I'm playing outside of a party with a random team obviously that's not an option though, so I would like to see at least the option to disable PTT because it's a large annoyance that often keeps me from using the voice chat function in-game at all.

Momba1

Q - Ever have a Steam Chat where you're echoing because someone has speakers and a mic, or they botched-up their mic settings?? Pff...I've lost count. It would be horrendous and you'd be jumping to the Mute Player or Mute All in a snap.

Sure in an ideal world and uniformly of equipment and standards sure, otherwise it would be a nightmare.

MrAdaptability

I get that, but the same thing happens on console with people that used the Kinect for voice chat. People would just tell them to get a real mic/headset and then mute them. I don't see how that would play out much differently on PC. If someone is interested in voice chat generally speaking they will have a headset or at least headphones paired with a standalone mic. I still think as it is right now forced PTT stifles a lot of player callouts, etc. because people don't want to fool with it while playing the game. I rarely hear people using their mics in-match. It's usually in-between rounds or in the pre-game lobby. Maybe there is just a lack of mics on PC, but I don't think that's the case.

Don't get me wrong I definitely understand where you're coming from. But I think muting someone who doesn't have the common sense not to use speakers and a mic at the same time is a much better alternative than not what we had in BLOPS2. Plus for those people that are using speakers and a mic at the same time, they could leave PTT enabled.

I agree .push to talk aint good,it should not be like that.And kids he did not ask what you use.

Momba1

Just last night one of the guys I was playing with went into a feedback loop, you know the high pitched type...now that was just with a few people. Imagine a pregame lobby with 12 or more in ground war. BTW - I'm not some kid.

Open Mic needs to be in a 'private chat' only, and if you have any smarts then fix the issues before getting into a game.