12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 4:28 PM by Adam1234567893 RSS

Casual Gamer vs Serious gamer who wins!

Izjar11

COD,

Im curious and I would like to get this addressed (and its based loosely on another thread)

What do you see different in the Casual Gamer vs The Serious gamer?

And I am not talking about getting paid for playing, I consider myself a more serious player and I do not casually play the game as if I am playing SIMS or something.

So what is it?

• Re: Casual Gamer vs Serious gamer who wins!
          phxs72

Serious gamers develop strategies and counter strategies and counter counter strategies as well as classes to support each and have them ready to go in every match that they enter.  Casual gamers tend to have one strategy and effectively one class setup with only minor tweaks.  Casual gamers tend to be effective against other casual gamers but get slaughtered when faced with a team of serious gamers.  Mostly because the casuals only have the one rabbit to work with.

LifeSong1

Since you started 2 identical threads in 2 different forums, I am going to reply to the one that fits in the correct forum.

Serious gamers are ones that are out strictly to win and do their best. They are typically going to get upset at people who have a bad game and are going to often have teammates that they play with regularly so that they can work as a team and learn how each other plays. While not always true, they will likely care more about their stats and how well they do.

Casual gamers are still out to win and do their best. They are going to still go for objectives (kills, captures, confirms, etc) but aren't going to stress out over their team losing or if they go negative. The important thing for them is that they have fun playing the game. If they get slaughtered they are more likely to tell you that you did good afterwards. While not always true, they will care first and foremost about enjoying the game (even if losing) and having fun while trying (not necessarily succeeding) in helping their team.

Stupid gamers are the ones that are out to cheat the system. They are willing to boost, cheat, troll, etc to get an edge in the game. They don't care about winning or losing, they just care about themselves and having fun at other peoples expense. They ruin the game and do not play it as intended. 

There is a big difference between a casual gamer and a stupid gamer. There is no place for a stupid gamer in my opinion. Casual and Serious are always going to be present (always have been in COD and always will be).  I will gladly have a Casual gamer on my team as they are much more fun to play with. I'm not going to be hearing complaining every time they die. They aren't going to be yelling into their mic all the time, etc.

This all comes down to how you define Serious and Casual. If you mean casual where someone comes in, starts a game, gets a phone call and just stands in the open then yes, they should not be playing (that goes for any game though where you can't pause it). If you mean casual as I defined it above then by all means they are welcome. Maybe you should define what you consider casual and ask the question of whether that type of person belongs in the game. A 4th thread on the topic couldn't hurt .

Killbook

Casual because, I'm not sure if this applies to you but usually when I'm having a deep or interesting conversation, I do better when I just don't give a fck about winning. That's why I don't like to go try hard because if I do, I feel I'm doing worse than before.

Izjar11

Killbook wrote:

Casual because, I'm not sure if this applies to you but usually when I'm having a deep or interesting conversation, I do better when I just don't give a fck about winning. That's why I don't like to go try hard because if I do, I feel I'm doing worse than before.

I hear you, I consider myself semi serious / casual, what I mean is I play to do well and have fun at getting their. I also play with my mind and not just run without a purpose. Trying and not trying, you see that is where I do not understand. Why play a game if the idea is not to win? Specifically these FPS that are meant be about winning?

Killbook

Yeah, that's why I play HCKC. I'm really really good at it and I usually pull my team. I either get all the tags, or on nuketown, I'll just kill everyone on the opposite team and expect my teammates to pick the tags up (because I'm doing the killing and if I stop to pick up the tags, I won't be able to keep killing and this'll be an advantage for the enemies.)

dtuchpunk

Casual gamers will go for the win but fun is more important

curious gamers only go for the win

And than you've the players that don't belong. For example in domination people that won't cap or defend flags

Curious gamers get mad when casual gamers just can't win

Casual gamers get mad when players that don't belong can't win

I am by far no serious gamer. I am by definition a casual gamer. I play for fun, not stats ever. When I play I dont care if I win or not. The win is a bonus if achieved, not a requirement to play and have fun.

I play for the challenges of leveling up and unlocking things and that is all. If everything was given freely in the game maybe I would care about other things instead. But otherwise my fun is in the challenges for cammos and unlocking things. Not to be the best in the lobby or be the top of the leaderboard or have the best stats over anyone else.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I think I play like a casual yet I treat the game like a serious player. I try to win at all cost.

I believe if I am really serious then I will go pro but I have no aspirations nor have a desire to be one. I am starting to feel the effects of getting old and I'm no longer as fast as I used to be.

I am thinking of hanging my try-hard boots in Ghosts and ride into the sunset.

I play on a gaming monitor and use the best gaming equipments and when something new and better comes along, I tend to get that stuff. I treat gaming as a hobby and had sunk somewhere close to 4K on my overall gaming setup.

I play on PC, PS3 and XBOX.

It's a draw.