1 2 3 4 Previous Next 139 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 11:12 PM by RunAndGun1 Go to original post RSS
      • 10. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

Also, where is the verticality, innovation and diversity? For example, there are only 3 maps with precipitation, 1 night map, and 5 old maps. I'd add this to my last post, but I'm getting error messages. Also, some houses have 6 entrances! I'd rather have extreme camping than play style restrictions because it makes the guns and maps crap. We need much more stealth! Camping isn't so bad if you rely on your eyes and ears to become aware of your surroundings rather than play pac man on your radar. But BO2 is the reckless rusher's paradise - no doubt!

• 11. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

EDIT: More sightlines, choke points, and a lot less tight corners is a step in the right direction. Surely, there are going to be arena-styled maps in Ghosts, but I hope that at least 60% aren't.

• 12. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
            adw1983

Name an available map tool / editor for a game you own and give me up to 48 hours, and I'll give you a great map -- minus good textures. (textures takes so much time, and is boring.)

I'm used to 3d-map design (Counter-Strike) and 3d with invisible/seamless portals (physics warping; Unreal 1 Engine).

• 13. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

the 3 lane linair design is getting boring and predictable

But the ideal map can't be made.

There are to much factors to keep in mind

And bigger maps only make it harder. It may all fit in there but then no high traffic area's anymore

A map getting close was Derail from MW2 in my eyes.

• 14. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
                maccabi

the sdk is freely available for cod 4

• 15. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
                  scotland-rules

dtuchpunk wrote:

the 3 lane linair design is getting boring and predictable

But the ideal map can't be made.

There are to much factors to keep in mind

And bigger maps only make it harder. It may all fit in there but then no high traffic area's anymore

A map getting close was Derail from MW2 in my eyes.

Okay I do understand that a map like derail wasn't exactly "popular" and quite often you wouldn't reach the score limit in TDM or if you did you'd be around the 8/9 minute mark. However those map really tested your class design and not many maps do this in recent CoD titles. For example most maps you can get by with using an SMG.

In MW2 you couldn't get away with that on maps like derail or underpass or estate unless you either played hardcore or planned to stick inside the buildings where it offers a lot of CQC.

Now remember a map that's big doesn't have to be all long range gunfights and that's where houses come in, for example the warehouse in the middle of derail and the mansion in estate all offered chances for CQC as well as long range gunfights. Having maps that offer the best of both worlds is key.

Otherwise we have what Black Ops 2 has which is a mindless array of CQC that gets boring after 5 games.

• 16. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

It's a legitimate concern to have, without a doubt, but from what i've gathered in the gameplay footage we've seen so far, the maps have a higher level of complexity over the last 2-3 duties. Without playing the game it's all speculation but i'm not worried.

Map design can dictate everything from spawns to metagame strategies, which guns dominate in which maps and how effective killstreaks can become. It's worth being concerned about this issue but i BELIEVE we might not have this issue this time around

• 17. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
                      scotland-rules

I wish I could share your calm optimism but I'm much more pessimistic when it comes to these things.

• 18. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

I agree a classic issue with Black Ops 2, map size has an over effect on Spawns. its easy to start your spawns and due to the speed of game play, the spawns change very fast"even to the point of spawning next to your enemy" thus giving the feeling of a smaller map size. Larger map sizes would be a welcome change seeing as CoD 3 had giant maps and worked well, now given there use of there were tanks, jeeps, and motor cycles it made since. the battles on these smaller maps are being forced so its more just run and gun, less plan then how fast you can get to a span camping location. a larger map also would make more since at least making a sniper more of a role player, as oppose to a close range instant killer with quick scooping nightmare. 

• 19. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
                          adw1983

5 hours of tweaking the install to try to get it to work -- literally 5 hours of my time -- and I give up.

I'll make a good map design for CS-Source.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next