1 2 3 Previous Next 156 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2013 12:06 PM by crazycanuk RSS

Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)

nicedrewishfela

I have pasted the article from CharlieIntel.com, so I apologize for the length of the post.

So, basically, the Satcom is the new UAV as they are trying to cut down on Aerial Streaks, since they sit on the ground. The power changes with the amount in use. 1 only shows enemies in sight of you our your teammates. 2 works like the UAV we are used to, 3 increases the pings, and 4 acts like a Orbital VSAT/Blackbird type deal. As you can also see, there are perks directly meant to impact these, including Wiretap to hack them and Off the Grid to hide from them.

So what are your thoughts? Will this help or hurt UAV spam? Do you think they will be too easy to earn, and as a result be constantly in use? Or will having them on the ground help make them easier to take out? Will it impact strategy as people try to defend them, or will enough people run them for a team to have multiples? It certainly adds a new element to the game.

20130925-111818.jpg

In a new Elite post, Infinity Ward and Activision have revealed how the new replacement if the UAV, SATCOM, Killstreak will work in Ghosts.

1 Active SAT COM
      Eyes on: With one SAT COM on the field, enemy players within the line of sight of you or your teammates will show up on the mini-map.

2 Active SAT COMs
      With a second active SAT COM, your team is awarded the traditional sweeping UAV effect, highlighting enemy positions at brief intervals.

3 Active SAT COMs
      A third SAT COM increases the frequency of radar sweeps. This results in tighter surveillance on enemy movement.

4 Active SAT COMs
      If you’re lucky enough to get four active SAT COMs, all detectable enemy players will show up as solid arrows indicating the direction they are currently facing. The ultimate surveillance tool.

The more SAT COMs active, the better. They do have to be placed on the ground, so it’s important to avoid deploying them in open view where enemy players can easily destroy them. On the other hand, it’s vital that you take out any enemy SAT COMs you encounter.

There are also a couple of perks to keep in mind that directly affect the SAT COM:

Wiretap
      Utilize all active enemy and friendly SAT COMs on the field.

The Wiretap perk allows you to passively hack into enemy SAT COM units, providing additional surveillance throughout the match. Use your improved tracking abilities to communicate enemy position to your teammates.

Off the Grid
      Undetectable on the mini-map by SAT COM and radar pings.

For those that prefer to stay under the radar, Off the Grid negates the enemy’s ability to ping you via SAT COM. Just remember, firing your character’s weapon will still briefly reveal your position on the mini-map, unless you’re using the Silencer attachment.

• 1. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)
          r8edtripx

Pretty much all of my classes will run SATCOM, have Wiretap and Off The Grid. If for some crazy reason, I find the enemy isn't using SATCOMs... You know what, that's not going to happen, pretty much everyone will be running SATCOMs.

I don't think I'll make any effort to destroy enemy SATCOMs. I usually play with randoms, and if they're not going to run OTG, then that's on them. If anyone, teammate or enemy, thinks they're so beast that they don't care about being seen by spammed SATCOMs, then I'm fine with that.

• 2. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)
            nicedrewishfela

I am wondering if putting OTG into the game will make the SatComs moot anyways. With the ability to choose so many perks, it may just be something everyone runs. I guess we'll have to see how much it is valued at.

• 3. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)
              r8edtripx

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I am wondering if putting OTG into the game will make the SatComs moot anyways. With the ability to choose so many perks, it may just be something everyone runs. I guess we'll have to see how much it is valued at.

OTG may very well make SATCOMS moot. If I find I see very few people with red dots, then I'll definitely consider not running SatComs or Wiretap. Yeah, I wonder if IW will mess with the point values we saw a couple of months ago for Ghosts.

• 4. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)
                nicedrewishfela

In my eyes, a perk like that should have a high point value.

• 5. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)
                  r8edtripx

nicedrewishfela wrote:

In my eyes, a perk like that should have a high point value.

I completely see the logic in what you're saying, but I'd much rather have OTG be really cheap so everyone uses it and then I don't have to spend any points on Wiretap or SATCOM.

I'm definitely bummed that campers got their stealth back, but at the end of the day, I don't depend on red dots, so an inexpensive OTG is ok by me.

• 6. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)

The first month or 2 there will be a lot of satcoms. Because it's a easy way to know where enemy's are and learning high traffic area's.
                    After that people will start using other rewards more. Was in BO2 also. (also because ghost was late unlock)

• 7. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)
                      biron_w

Yet again they are too easy to get. And because of Wire Tap everybody will be forced to use OTG. Like every other bloody COD since MW2.

I just wish they'd make them a lot harder to get. Make them like UAV's have always been but make them as a 7-8 killstreak.

I'll be running OTG on every class because I don't want the other team knowing where I am because a player got just 3 kills.

I've been saying since MW2 that the UAV is the most over-powered Killstreak in the game.

• 8. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)

I like how people refer to it as "UAV" spam, when the UAV used to be the ONLY 3 killstreak in the better quality games, people are so afraid of 1 v 1 gunfights when both players know where each other are, too funny.

• 9. Re: Let's Talk About the SatCom (UAV)

UAVs werent a problem when EVERYONE had to use them, as they were the only killstreak, and they arent a problem now either, players are just lazy and afraid of not being able to hide. 

1 2 3 Previous Next