17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 1:05 PM by squity123 RSS

Parental take on Origins Ending

MD1X

OK so first of yes Im old lol with 2 teenagers who got me hooked on zombies. Ive been an avid reader of these forums for about 6 months and was shocked at the response to the ending scene for Origins. I personally think this was the most awesome end for zombies storyline possible! A video game that ends as a childs imaginary game! How epic! I loved the storyline and the ees maybe I am missing something but Im sure all you will point out why you disagree but maybe 3arc had this planned to encourage all you out there to maybe put down the controller for a few and imagine something original. Perhaps thats what the teue Origin is  lol anyway i am totally immeresed in the story and am amped for anything else to come along or be discovered

• Re: Parental take on Origins Ending

I think it's very cool that your children got you into the game, I only WISH I could get my parents to play.... I'd have one hell of a reliable team! Hahaha

I do have to say I agree with you 100%. I thought it was freaking EPIC that it turned out to be her imagination. I don't understand what all the fuss is about "OMG IT WASN'T REAL, WHAT BULLSHIT!!! 3ARC SOLD OUT!!!!"

I mean....it's a video game....it isn't real to begin with!

I would be very excited to either start off with some more content including Samantha, either way I'll still be playing zombies!

MD1X

Oh yea two things

1) I didnt mean to make this a question but rather a quick statement lol dam  old people lol

2) Before you say 3arc would never... consider they already made all their money for blops2 from you so $ is moot point of course youll come back for more on their next title lol brilliant

phxs72

While others have much deeper reasoning for their dislike of the Origins ending.  I think that the biggest issue is that they see it as an end to the old crew.  They were excited to have them back and basically it was ended in the very same map that they had hoped would bring them more of the old crew.

For me personally, I think that the way that they did the ending left the door open for them to take the series in whatever direction that they want.  That unto itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.  However, they are going to have to bring their A game in the next installment if they truly are leaving behind all of the history of what we've known about Zombies to date.  The gamemode itself is certainly fun and I'll continue to play it as I think most people will but part of the allure is the backstory with the characters.  They really didn't do a good job of establishing the backstory quick enough for the new crew to take hold in my opinion.  So if they go with a "new" new crew then they need to give us more background in the launch map.  Otherwise this crew will seem disconnected like the last new crew did.  While it's fun to guess about a characters past you need to have some understanding of that past in order to establish an emotional link to them.

Very well said, Phxs.

I can only hope that for the sake of other players that they do bring their A game when giving details about each individual character. You're right, having history of the team always makes the game much more enjoyable. Especially when you have the characters saying quotes that pertain to their history.

*thinks about a 6 time knife fighting champ*

phxs72 wrote:

While others have much deeper reasoning for their dislike of the Origins ending.  I think that the biggest issue is that they see it as an end to the old crew.  They were excited to have them back and basically it was ended in the very same map that they had hoped would bring them more of the old crew.

TBH im more upset by the fact that we will never know about the unsolved mysteries with the new crew. What is Broken Arrow? What did Russman and/or Marlton do there? Why did Russman remember Samuel from there? Why do Russman and Marlton hate each other? Why was Marlton in the NTZ bunker? What is the Flesh? Was Samuel a member of it? How did he get infected? Why were there orbs and beams after doing TOB? Why was Samantha in Agartha? Why did Richtofen and Maxis want to get there?

The only way we'll learn about these is if the Origins cutscene is either noncanonical, which would make it pointless, or if its a time paradox or some other cheap thing.

phxs72

Agreed.  I wasn't a fan of the new crew displacing the old crew but by the time that Buried was released we finally had enough backstory to start having some feelings for them.  It was a bit of a shame to just leave things hanging there but at the same time that's what they did with the old crew and I wasn't a fan of that either.  Origins took us back to the beginning which I liked and the ending wasn't what I wanted but knowing how 3arch tends to twist and turn things, I'm interested to see what they do with it in the next installment.  I'm hoping they can take what feels like a let down and turn it into something that draws us back in even deeper than before.

DeathBringer-Zen

The reason a lot of the story enthusiasts hate it is because the storyline was in some parts created by the community. The Devs took a lot of stuff from the CoDZ site back in the W@W days. A lot of the current Youtubers started over there and it was them who started developing a storyline of sorts when there wasn't one.

Since then, the Devs continued to turn to CoDZ and some other sources for inspiration, that they utilized in some shape or form. The community created Samantha, and they also gave out map ideas that ended up getting used.

The ending feels like a middle finger to all the people who helped turn the community into what it is today. CoDZ was built for the purpose of fans of the game mode to come together and share theories and ideas, to try and explain what happened during the gaps of the storyline.

Now, it all means nothing, and there is nothing really left to discuss. Shame.

anoreo

To be honest, it being imaginary just makes the most sense. I mean, just look around on the Lunar Lander on Ascension, or look around Origins...it's definitely surreal and has dream like qualities. Hell, some of the story didn't seem to make much sense, especially with all this time travel. For example, Richtofen got the Maxis' killed, yet Maxis was already dead by WW1?

If you played zombies from the start of W@W you would be highly discouraged by the cutscene in origins.  Unless I am missing something, I thought it was a very cheap way to end a once very entertaining game mode.  The devs of this game are going to lose many fans b/c of their reckless actions...

AlteredVista

I agree. They did a very good job expanding the story with moon and I could not have been more excited for zombies when Black Ops 2 was coming out.

I wanted the old crew, but the tranzit characters actually had potential if treyarch gave them some direction. Some people had theories that Marlton had CIA connection which is why he was in the Nuketown bunker. Marlton went no where and was really only there to make slightly clever but ANNOYING complaints. Misty was ok as a leader, but the other characters were too stupid. I liked Stu on Tranzit a lot because he was paranoid and he as well as Ten had tons of references to conspiracy theories. Unfortunately his dialogue went way downhill in Die Rise and Buried and he lost continuity (should have kept up the conspiracy and paranoid talk). Russman was even more pointless than Marlton. Unlike Marlton he had no potential because they made him so stupid. On buried they tried to give him some background and you can tell in the intro cutscene. Then they have some Broken Arrow crap on Buried and we are left to wonder what that was all about. As someone who didn't mind the addition of new characters I admit that they had no development...in some ways they got worse as each new map came out.

Then Origins came and ruined everything...All the characters from both the original crew and tranzit crew are action figures in Samantha's imagination. They could not have ended it in a worse way imo. I still like zombies, but that ending ruined it for me. They probably paid Sam's voice actor a good amount of money when you consider how much she's involved with narrating everything which is a shame when they could have done something much better.

I honestly was hoping next game would be a permanent return to the old crew, but now we are left to wonder if they are gone forever...

btw your probably a treyarch employee pretending to be some random person w/ kids & fan of this mediocre game.  Sad, this game was once one of the best out there...  It's a shame treyarch has to be such a sell out like Activision! 

To be honest it was good but it could have been better, I think people are upset (and Treyarch did it)  because Treyarch can now just make massive loopholes in the story or just make up something random then go... meh, it's imagination.

Perhaps MOTD's storyline is away from this and we'll continue that.