13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 1:04 AM by nuttin2say RSS

Elite ... ness

nuttin2say

Browsing the forums tonight, it came to me that there is something pervading Call of Duty games that is increasingly disturbing the COD force.

Eliteness.

This may stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred, but after BO2 I think it is fair to say that no aspect of the game is a Holy Grail that is untouchable by the devs. Regardless of the rationale placed into ad infinitum discussions about Quick Scoping or Running and Gunning and other aspects of the game, the evolution of destruction of Ghost in BO2 shows, in my opinion, that nothing is sacred.

In other words, regardless of how elite some of us think we are due to our approach to the game, there is no specific way in which the game "is supposed to be played."

I see many long-time forum members that get that. They defend camping and they defend quick scoping and they defend the run & gun. They are humble enough to admit that, after years of game play, no one method has a moral superiority to others.

However, there is that "eliteness" that seems to be increasingly pervading the world of Call of Duty. It is a superiority complex that demands Sniper Rifles be OHK, recoilless, high rate of fire, fully automatic weapons - and gawd damm those that think otherwise as weak, bad players. It is a run and gun eliteness that declares that if your thumb slips off the stick as you are playing, you are a worthless camper. It is an eliteness that ridicules the custom classes of others because others are using perks we would not use. It is an eliteness that demands changes to weapons we have not used while, simultaneously, it is an eliteness that demands we use the weapons before we are allowed to talk about them.

The fact is that there is a single element to the multiplayer portion of the game that the developers will never be able to reprogram. That element is the human element and no perk, no kill streak, no weapon - nothing that can be programmed into the game can predict all 10 million plus ways that those elements will be used. Yes, 10 million plus because that is how many people play this game every year and you nor I will ever be able to predict what all 10 million people are going to do with the same weapon or perk.

In our eliteness, we seem to be forgetting that. No, we have forgotten it. I've looked at 1000s of threads and 10's of 1000s of posts and I can say definitively that, try as I have, I have yet to discover in any of them the foundation of Call of Duty. What is this game based upon? What makes it fun?

I've had my theories and I've watched the videos and read the interviews of the people that work for Activision and Treyarch and Infinity Ward and, you know what? Even they have never given a definitive answer to those questions.

But it is there, right there in front of us every day and every night ... what makes Call of Duty fun to play are those 10 million plus different challenges that we face every match. The fun is NOT knowing what lies around the next corner, NOT knowing if a fellow gamer actually knows how to quick scope, NOT knowing if we will be rushed or if we will charge blindly into a camper.

What makes Call of Duty exciting is that fraction of a second, we call them milliseconds or ms in COD World, in which we have to evaluate what is before us, decide upon a reaction, and carry out that reaction.

That's what this game is about. I confess I've had my eliteness moments. Maybe this is one right now. But before we continue to complain about those things that irritate us, maybe we should take a moment to step out of our belief that the way we each play the game is the "right" way to play the game.

There are over 10 million "right" ways to play the game. Mine is only one. Does your way of playing cover the other 9,999,999 ways?

If it does, it is not any aspect of the game that is the problem.

• Re: Elite ... ness

As much as i hate campers, they have the right to camp as much as i'm allowed to rush. Part of the game.

Killbook

Yes, mine does. I rush. And I'm a huge hypocrite because I do some of the things I hate others doing but I hardly do it. ( i,e camping, creeping around corners, aiming down sights, etc.)

Nuttin2say, that sure was saying a lot. LOL

nicedrewishfela

The game is what one makes it. I choose to make it fun.

Well said. 10,000,000 characters without much character. In CoD we shoot bullets, in CoD forums we shoot egos.

The most elite are the ones most humble.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

nuttin2say wrote:

...the evolution of destruction of Ghost in BO2 shows, in my opinion, that nothing is sacred.

Nothing is scared except what will attract new (underage) markets. 

... what makes Call of Duty fun to play are those 10 million plus different challenges that we face every match. The fun is NOT knowing what lies around the next corner, NOT knowing if a fellow gamer actually knows how to quick scope, NOT knowing if we will be rushed or if we will charge blindly into a camper.

Perhaps this is the gist of your post.  I agree.  So long as there is a nice balance between all of these playstyles, both quantatively and qualitatively. 

Quantatively in the sense that none of these playstyles will dominate in numbers.  Be pretty boring if everyone, every game, ran around QSing; or camped their butts red the entire game. 

Qualitatively in the sense that none will have too big an advantage.  In other words, that good ol' balance issue.

So the question takes us back to what is sacred.  What the devs will, or will not, do.  Will they continue to have dumbed down maps and attachments and all those other absurdities in BOII that we've discussed; or, will they be so bold as to let good gameply finally take priority. 

deamonomic

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

nuttin2say wrote:

...the evolution of destruction of Ghost in BO2 shows, in my opinion, that nothing is sacred.

Nothing is scared except what will attract new (underage) markets.

... what makes Call of Duty fun to play are those 10 million plus different challenges that we face every match. The fun is NOT knowing what lies around the next corner, NOT knowing if a fellow gamer actually knows how to quick scope, NOT knowing if we will be rushed or if we will charge blindly into a camper.

Perhaps this is the gist of your post.  I agree.  So long as there is a nice balance between all of these playstyles, both quantatively and qualitatively.

Quantatively in the sense that none of these playstyles will dominate in numbers.  Be pretty boring if everyone, every game, ran around QSing; or camped their butts red the entire game.

Qualitatively in the sense that none will have too big an advantage.  In other words, that good ol' balance issue.

So the question takes us back to what is sacred.  What the devs will, or will not, do.  Will they continue to have dumbed down maps and attachments and all those other absurdities in BOII that we've discussed; or, will they be so bold as to let good gameply finally take priority.

good gameplay by whos definition?

nuttin2say

Good points, yippecaye.

My point had nothing to do with weapons, maps, etc. BO2 is by far not my most favorite COD.

You brought home my ultimate point, though. All of these "I'm a L337 player" rants on the forums is what is causing the game to continuously be "dumbed down."

I don't know understand how some people feel that BO2 maps have great layouts. I've explained this before - the all follow slight variations of an H patter. MW3 map layouts were not much better. A couple of the maps did not follow the H pattern, but most did. In BO1, mostly H patterns with a few exceptions. With the maps all following the same basic format, a major learning curve to the game is, at the very least, greatly simplified.

The devs are chasing the lowest common denominator. And the lowest common denominators are campers and rushers. The reason that's the way it is because, as a community, most people tend to identify with one side or the other on those issues.

As a community, we should not be doing that. For starters, it is not true - 99% of players use different tactics for different situations. However, because some of us see one style or the other as "elite," people keep arguing about it.

And since they take up so much forum space, the devs keep giving those two issues all the attention.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

There is a good ongoing discussion about playstyles in the PS3 forum which I think you'll find to be somewhat related to your "elite" issue.

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200767923#.Ukt66xB_LXU

Whether the game favors rushers or campers is up for debate.  But that's beside the point.  Like you say, it's how the rusher perceives the game favoring campers and campers perceives the game favoring rushers.  Worse yet, the QSers making death threats (LOL.)  And then they all get together and argue whose playstyle is more elite.

I mentioned maps and weapons earliar because these are the very things that'll tell us how much the Devs are catering to them.  So if I see more Nuketowns, I'll know who they caved in too.  If I see more Target Finders, I'll know who they caved to.  If I see more impenetrable bright purple and blue bubbles as obstacles or cover, I'll know who they're trying to attract.   

How they make the maps, the weapons, perks and attachments will affect what playstyles will dominate in numbers in the future.   

I want what he's smokin'. That was deep, but frankly, we're all paid customers (bought the game & xbox live gold) and entitled to play whichever way we feel like. I'm mostly run'n'gun kinda player, but I was camping when getting bloodthirsty medals for gold camos, sure.

Well said sir! The only thing certain about anything in this world is our perception. Each of us have a different truth and meaning in everything we see and do and that translates to me differently that it would to anyone else.

Have fun, play the way YOU, the customer, decides to play, and, as long as you meet your OWN objectives, who cares what anyone else thinks about your playstyle or KD!

Question: Which post on which thread actually prompted you to write this nuttin2say? I would be interested to know your motivation.

nuttin2say

I don't recall. I'm getting old. I forgot to scratch my arse a while ago.

No, seriously. It was not any one thread that got me riled up. I just see the same arguments over and over and over again and again. I've also noticed, over the years, that if you look at the forum members who have been around the longest, you begin to see they are the most open to different tactics and strategies. They are the most open minded toward trying new things in the game.

But they are also the most cautious about major changes to the game. I agree with them.

From my perspective, MW1 was what gave COD the fame it enjoys today. In that game, you had people that would Quick Scope, you had Run & Gun fanatics, you had Campers, and you had them in every match on every map.

The complaints back then were not about tactics or strategies. The complaints were about hacks, mods, glitchers, and just general cheating. Heck, back then you didn't even have people complaining about boosters!

What made that game different from every game since then?

I think what changed was that in MW2, everyone got more of what they liked. Quick Scopers got more rifles, more pistols & shotguns, etc. Rushers got infinite sprint. Campers got more claymores and Sentry Guns. Everyone got more. Everyone.

And that gave people more to think about. It takes a lot of energy to consider not just the options available, but all the options a person has to go up against. It is easier to complain about what's stopping me from performing better than it is figure out a way to counter whatever is stopping me from performing better.

And from that, you get people deciding that their way of playing the game is what the original designers had in mind.

The original designers had in mind an arcade FPS based upon weaponry available during WWII. They did not have in mind whether or not 6 UAVs = 1 Stealth Bomber.