1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 12:18 AM by Adam1234567893 Go to original post RSS
      • 50. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
        ion5150

What's wrong with lobby shopping? It's my preference if I elect to play on a good or bad connection to given host/players.

I really like the idea even more with the probation junk that's in play now. This would give me the option to stay in or leave and not have to deal with probation because I quit because of a bad host connection. I'll never get it, why should I be forced to play through a poor connection.

Again, I think people are generally smarter than they are given credit for and can make a decision for themselves.

These kind of decisions remind me of Enron ... "The Smartest Guys In The Room"

• 51. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
          rlbl

Not arguing (well maybe a little), however (we are talking about ping right):

- poor connection: remains to be seen, but these should be improved in ghosts by the hybrid system attempting to put you in the best connection

- At what point does one consider they have a good connection to the host as opposed to a poor one?  if you have a 20ms connection the host/server, yeah that is good. If it is 250ms I think we can agree that is not good.  Again, at what point did it go from good to not?  And how do you know?

- What if everyone did this?  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  Matches would either never start, or end up lop-sided as soon as someone thought: "I am not happy with this connection"

Speculating here a bit but...  If the devs are doing what they can on their side (and succeed... which is of course subjective), the player base is what is going to make it bad.  But, yeah, there is a big IF there... remains to be seen (let's keep our fingers crossed).

"why should I be forced to play through a poor connection"

You shouldn't... but let's hope that BO2/MW3 connection issues are behind us when we move forward to the next title.

• 52. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
            rankismet

ion5150 wrote:

What's wrong with lobby shopping? It's my preference if I elect to play on a good or bad connection to given host/players.

I really like the idea even more with the probation junk that's in play now. This would give me the option to stay in or leave and not have to deal with probation because I quit because of a bad host connection. I'll never get it, why should I be forced to play through a poor connection.

Again, I think people are generally smarter than they are given credit for and can make a decision for themselves.

These kind of decisions remind me of Enron ... "The Smartest Guys In The Room"

The issue with "lobby shopping", as I see it, is three fold:

1. Some players will continually exit rooms in search of the nirvana connection not knowing what it would be.
            2. A lot of games will take forever to launch due to some players hunting for a dedi lobby only.
            3. Those same players will then whinge how bad dedis are when they could have had a decent match on a much closer listen server.

If Ghosts has proper host selection and matchmaking, there is no need to lobby shop.

• 53. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
              ion5150

The devs should be able to state what is the min.

They know the frame rate, update times, etc., they should know what the minimum bandwidth and ping times are to experience smooth/enjoyable game play.

So let me reword my original statement ...

I'll never get it, why should I be forced to play through a poor connection.

to

I'll never get it, why should I be forced to play through a poor game mechanics.

At any rate, I agree with your statements.

• 54. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
                ion5150

While I agree with items 1-3, I think the numbers would be less than what most would want others to believe, I could be incorrect.

The issue is, they (both Studios) have had a bad history over the last few years by NOT getting HS/MM correct. So just in case they repeat the bad habits of past (which they are subject to), I would like to see the ping times. From that, I'll decide if I'm going to experience a bad game and can back out prior to start.

• 55. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
                  maccabi

ion5150 wrote:

The devs should be able to state what is the min.

They know the frame rate, update times, etc., they should know what the minimum bandwidth and ping times are to experience smooth/enjoyable game play.

So let me reword my original statement ...

I'll never get it, why should I be forced to play through a poor connection.

to

I'll never get it, why should I be forced to play through a poor game mechanics.

At any rate, I agree with your statements.

true story over xmas last year i had net issues and was stuck with a bandwidth just better than dial up for three weeks.. could play fine and game ran just as smooth as it did when i had my full broadband.

reason for this these games use a tiny amount amount of bandwidth (if you aren't host)

• 56. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
                    kkiller14

Candice is the Community Coordinator at Infinity Ward. Here's the tweet: Twitter / candyslexia: @JMW_BOYZ yes

• 57. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
                      rankismet

ion5150 wrote:

While I agree with items 1-3, I think the numbers would be less than what most would want others to believe, I could be incorrect.

The issue is, they (both Studios) have had a bad history over the last few years by NOT getting HS/MM correct. So just in case they repeat the bad habits of past (which they are subject to), I would like to see the ping times. From that, I'll decide if I'm going to experience a bad game and can back out prior to start.

I've found the community, by and large, think they understand how the internet works... when really they don't.

HS/MM has been a real issue the past two games (and BO2 in particular) but do you want to see your ping time to host or everyone's ping time to host? Even if you have a great ping to the host... Zimbabwe connection guy who matched into the room can really drag the whole room down because the game has to compensate for his 1 hamster connection.

All of this can be determined as-is fairly simply.

Simplify and go is what they need to do... not offer a bells and whistles way of showing connection that adds no value.

• 58. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
                        Kon_Artist

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.

Questions from the OP in bold:

First,  Is the ratio of dedicated servers and listing servers the same across all platforms?  Does any one platform use only dedicated servers?

Second, How will this be any different than what we have right now?  I'm under the impression that BO2 and MW3 both try to connect you with people with similar pings.

Side question:  Is it possible to have a better online exp. on listing servers? 

From my understanding it is possible if everyone is relatively close together (location wise) and has the similar connection speeds and pings.  This would be better than a match on a dedicated server were people are far away and have veering connection speeds.  Dedicated servers will not help those that have slow internet.  However, a match on a DS with people that are all close to that location with similar speeds will be better than the same scenario on a  listing server.

• 59. Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE
                          starbuckfrack

I cant wait for the players that get their butts whipped start claiming it was because they were stuck in a game using the "old P2P" setup.

1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next