8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2013 6:58 AM by Out RSS

Consider and Judge the information...not the source

rlbl

Happy Friday Everyone, this post is totally off-topic to everything.

Over the years, there have been a good number of posts about this and that: OP guns; Lag; Lag Compensation (which is not the same thing as lag); how to optimize your network; How to get better at gaming; The best perk setup; etc...

The wonderful thing about the internet is, anyone can voice their opinions

The terrible thing about the internet is, anyone can voice their opinions...

There is an old saying: "A professional is someone from out of town, with a briefcase". What this basically means is that we as people, often put trust in others that we do not know, for no other reason than we do not know them and they "appear" to know what they are talking about.  Often when we receive information from people that we know, we often do not hear the information and judge the person who is delivering it. When we cannot judge them (because we do not know them), we then listen to the information as we consider the source as "reliable".

As we try to improve our gaming experience, we seek out answers to our questions and apply the information we learn... often without considering or checking the information. Many have said that Youtube has plagued the community because many consider a professional as : "Someone we do not know, with a capture card and a youtube account " ...and for some unknown reason many consider the information as being correct.  One should consider that this "Youtuber" is nothing more than someone like yourself, voicing their opinions -  right or wrong.

Am I saying that the information you get from Youtube is all wrong? No, good lord no.

I am saying that the information you get from Youtube (or other sources) is not always right...

Circular Logic Plug: You do not really know me, so you do not have to believe anything I say.

Have a wonderful weekend.

• Re: Consider and Judge the information...not the source
          phxs72

Trust but verify.  It's an odd phrase but I suppose it applies here.  Taken literally it seems impossible to do given that if you trusted the source there wouldn't be a need to verify it or so you think anyway.  I've found over many years of troubleshooting various pieces of equipment and processes that most people will tell you the truth as they think that they know it.  However, that doesn't mean that they are always right.  Misinformation is easily spread if it comes from someone that we consider an authority.  It's always best to verify at least on the issues that will actually impact your decision making.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

rlbl wrote:

The wonderful thing about the internet is, anyone can voice their opinions

The terrible thing about the internet is, anyone can voice their opinions...

Nice thread.

This is why people need to also be responsible when voicing their opinions.  I try not to make my opinions sound as facts.  I try to keep in mind that my personal experiences aren't necessarily the experience of others.  And I try not to discount (although easier said than done) others' opinions simply because I haven't shared the same ones. 

...often without considering or checking the information.

Always consider the source of the information.  I wish people in forums (not just this one) would link whatever facts on which they're relying their opinions.

A healthy skepticism in everything you read on the internet is wise.  But don't go overboard with stubbon cynicism.  Otherwise you'll be screening out good information too.

Am I saying that the information you get from Youtube is all wrong? No, good lord no.

I am saying that the information you get from Youtube (or other sources) is not always right...

YT is entertainment.  IMHO if you're using YT as your primary source of info, you're looking at the wrong place.

Heck, my wife wanted to make a Mexican salsa roja the other day and decided to check YT.  Needless to say, the particular vid she watched had all sorts of bad info on what and how much ingredients went into the recepte.  She finally gave up and just went to a fav Mex restaurant and bought a quart of it. 

Izjar11

If its on the internet it must be truth! so they say.

sennalike

Two quotes from Winston Churchill...

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has the chance to get its pants on.

I think it is human nature to believe strangers more than those we know and love. Whatever the reason, it certainly happens a lot. Often we believe what we want to believe because it meets our own thinking, whether it's based on any evidence or not.

Nice thread.

rlbl

sennalike wrote:

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

So true, and a wise man he was.

"If you always tell the truth, you will never have to remember what you said"

- Mark Twain (paraphrased)

"If you are presented with information and choose not to believe it, that in no way means you were lied to"

- No idea... RLBL

"Believing opinions are facts is very dangerous;

Believing facts are just opinions, is equally as dangerous"

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

i notice a lot of people say things like, "well, this is like that because of this". instead of "i think..", "i believe...", or "in my opinion". they put their opinions out there as fact and that is ignorant. especially for someone reading it that doesn't no any better. HOPEFULLY people do more research than just taking someone's word for something.

Out

Great Post

I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears..or blind readers lol