23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 1:53 PM by Izjar11 RSS

    camping and stealth

    OPStealthRecon

      a lot of people get the misconception that camping is associated with stealth. camping in my opinion is because of map design and not because of any particular playstyles. fell free to express your opinions about what you think causes camping.

        • Re: camping and stealth
          scotland-rules

          I don't think anything causes camping. I think it is a player choice and a viable combat to run and gun. Its like ying and yang. Run and Gun is Ying and Steath is Yang. In Black Ops 2 Ying was dominant and therefore threw the balance and tipped Run and Gun into a more favorable position.

           

          I think its going to balanced in Ghosts.

           

          Again camping isn't wrong or cheap. Its a good playstyle to use.

          • Re: camping and stealth
            Izjar11

            OPStealthRecon wrote:

             

            a lot of people get the misconception that camping is associated with stealth. camping in my opinion is because of map design and not because of any particular playstyles. fell free to express your opinions about what you think causes camping.

            With all do respect, why are you placing what anyone says any importance in regards to how one should play? Who gives two ---ts about what one player calls the other?

              • Re: camping and stealth
                zvers

                Amen to that. I don't even know why I even bother reading these kinds of threads. I already know what's going to be posted. The sheer lack of creativity in discussion making is astonishing. Are people that narrow minded?!?!

                  • Re: camping and stealth
                    Izjar11

                    zvers wrote:

                     

                    Amen to that. I don't even know why I even bother reading these kinds of threads. I already know what's going to be posted. The sheer lack of creativity in discussion making is astonishing. Are people that narrow minded?!?!

                    Players allow others to peg them as so and so, and when they allow that they probably end up playing the game in a worse way.

                • Re: camping and stealth
                  rankismet

                  OPStealthRecon wrote:

                   

                  a lot of people get the misconception that camping is associated with stealth. camping in my opinion is because of map design and not because of any particular playstyles. fell free to express your opinions about what you think causes camping.

                   

                  A lot of people have the misconception there is something wrong with camping. This causes developers to put asinine attachments and equipment  in effort to appease the "play how I want you to play" crowd.

                   

                  COD is a shooter. There will always be camping.

                   

                  Why?

                   

                  People have this odd desire to not be shot... and find camping works for them.

                    • Re: camping and stealth
                      SRPhoenix

                      I agree. I would much rather go 15 and 4 vs. 20 and 19. The only penalty in the game for dying is the other team getting a point, and I figure the more I can limit them the better.

                       

                      I have really never understood the negative connotation associated with "camping". In real life combat, cover is a good thing - if you are behind cover and your enemy isn't, you have the advantage. To appease the run-and-gunners the maps have been all but stripped of good, defensible cover - and I think that runs contrary to the original concept, and I it's a shame.

                        • Re: camping and stealth
                          affinityXX

                          Yea, camping is a scapegoat when it comes to shooters,  casuals glorify run and gun, but hate campers because it's their weakness.    Camping is a part of survival.    If people don't like cover and camping, then they should go play Smash TV. 

                          Yea the maps should be designed for camping to be viable, but also at least one alternate way for camps to get flanked, so

                          they aren't so safe.  but yea that's why it's good to have medium to large maps included. small maps are just terrible and only cater to run and gun.   

                      • Re: camping and stealth

                        Camping, like most actions taken in a fast paced shooter like Call of Duty, is purely a strategic decision.

                         

                        In order to be an effective player, you have to continuously adapt your playstyle to fit the situation you're presented with.

                         

                        If everyone on the other team is camping, clearly, you're not going to get many kills by camping yourself. You'll have to venture out and find them... maybe turn on Recon, and throw some flashbangs. Maybe get a heartbeat sensor so you can find them around corners.

                         

                        On the flip side, if the other team is running around in the open all the time, it's hard to argue against waiting in a corner as a viable strategy to get kills.

                         

                        There's nothing you're going to be able to say that will get a camper to stop camping. What you have to do is change your playstyle in such a way that camping against you is no longer a winnable strategy.

                        • Re: camping and stealth
                          RunAndGun1

                          I prefer stealth myself. Camping is most annoying on tiny tiny maps. Hence, BO2 was a camper's paradise. On small maps, camping is boring. It isn't strategy, unless you're waiting for an enemy you saw approaching a structure and you beat them to that structure, waiting for them to run into the structure.

                           

                          For snipers, camping IS strategy because snipers are shooting long range and need to take up a stationary position in order to get a steady shot. I expect camping on Domination and TDM. On Domination, people camp to protect a captured flag. Tryhards will camp near a neutral flag to draw an enemy in, instead of capturing the flag for their team. On TDM, the main objective is to simply kill the enemy. No flags to capture or lock down. So camping is to be expected.

                           

                          Either way, camping will never stop me from playing. I actually go after campers if they get me. It's fun to come up behind some nimrod camper and knife the mofo from behind. What a rush, right?

                            • Re: camping and stealth
                              rankismet

                              RunAndGun1 wrote:

                               

                              I prefer stealth myself. Camping is most annoying on tiny tiny maps. Hence, BO2 was a camper's paradise. On small maps, camping is boring. It isn't strategy, unless you're waiting for an enemy you saw approaching a structure and you beat them to that structure, waiting for them to run into the structure.

                               

                              For snipers, camping IS strategy because snipers are shooting long range and need to take up a stationary position in order to get a steady shot. I expect camping on Domination and TDM. On Domination, people camp to protect a captured flag. Tryhards will camp near a neutral flag to draw an enemy in, instead of capturing the flag for their team. On TDM, the main objective is to simply kill the enemy. No flags to capture or lock down. So camping is to be expected.

                               

                              Either way, camping will never stop me from playing. I actually go after campers if they get me. It's fun to come up behind some nimrod camper and knife the mofo from behind. What a rush, right?

                               

                              Why go to the most vapid, divisive  term "tryhard"?

                               

                              It detracts from any valid point you might make.

                                • Re: camping and stealth
                                  gotsomestars

                                  Worst term ever.... if you aren't going to try to win, play campaign. The other people on your team might enjoy winning.

                                  • Re: camping and stealth
                                    RunAndGun1

                                    rankismet wrote

                                     

                                    Why go to the most vapid, divisive  term "tryhard"?

                                     

                                    It detracts from any valid point you might make.

                                    I'm sorry you feel the need to give a single word so much power. You won't find the word bleeped out of any television show. What's divisive is putting your opinion above other opinions. My point is still valid despite the use of one word.

                                     

                                    What's divisive is a game developer designing maps geared specifically towards one group of people. As Treyarch did with Black Ops 2. Designing maps specifically for the MLG community was the worst business decision ever made. Infinity Ward proved that by designing their maps for Ghosts with consideration to players wanting multiple playstyles. I like the occasional headless chicken match as much as the next guy. But I also like to play on bigger maps where I can stealth. Maybe sneaking up on a camper or two for a little fun. But map diversity that includes a variety of map sizes and layouts is key to COD's survival as a fun and exciting game series...in my opinion. Was "survival" too strong of a word?

                                      • Re: camping and stealth
                                        rankismet

                                        RunAndGun1 wrote:

                                         

                                        rankismet wrote

                                         

                                        Why go to the most vapid, divisive  term "tryhard"?

                                         

                                        It detracts from any valid point you might make.

                                        I'm sorry you feel the need to give a single word so much power. You won't find the word bleeped out of any television show. What's divisive is putting your opinion above other opinions. My point is still valid despite the use of one word.

                                         

                                        What's divisive is a game developer designing maps geared specifically towards one group of people. As Treyarch did with Black Ops 2. Designing maps specifically for the MLG community was the worst business decision ever made. Infinity Ward proved that by designing their maps for Ghosts with consideration to players wanting multiple playstyles. I like the occasional headless chicken match as much as the next guy. But I also like to play on bigger maps where I can stealth. Maybe sneaking up on a camper or two for a little fun. But map diversity that includes a variety of map sizes and layouts is key to COD's survival as a fun and exciting game series...in my opinion. Was "survival" too strong of a word?

                                         

                                        I'm sorry you don't get how labeling someone a "tryhard" is insipid and intended to be divisive (not to mention belittling) or how the definition of the word "detract" is used. When the "tryhard" card is thrown out and then followed up with a description of how someone is playing... tells me someone is bitter. Personally, I'm over haters. It detracts from anything else they might say.

                                         

                                        You make a great second paragraph without resorting to labeling someone a "tryhard". I actually agree with most of what you wrote.

                                         

                                        Capital Building

                                          • Re: camping and stealth
                                            RunAndGun1

                                            Sorry, rankismet, I didn't mean it as a direct attack on anyone. I simply used it because it's a word that is understood by most here. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.

                                             

                                            Back on topic. My main issue with camping comes from poor map design. In my experience / opinion, I find small maps force people to camp more because you have much less time to react after spawning. If I have a choice between small, medium and large maps my experience is more enjoyable and challenging. Because I get to "choose" what kind of match I want to experience. BO2 was mostly - what I would call - tiny maps. Which resulted in mostly clusterfk matches. That's not fun to me when I don't have time to think in every match. I don't consider Mirage or Turbine to be medium sized maps. They're small to me when compared to past COD titles like W@W. In my opinion, BO2 was an utter failure and an insult to its fans for the very reason of offering only one style of playstyle. From what I've seen of Ghosts, I'm very excited. In the meantime, I'm playing BO1 because it plays better then BO2 in every way.

                                              • Re: camping and stealth
                                                rankismet

                                                RunAndGun1 wrote:

                                                 

                                                Sorry, rankismet, I didn't mean it as a direct attack on anyone. I simply used it because it's a word that is understood by most here. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.

                                                 

                                                No worries, brother. We all get a little annoyed from time to time and the forums are a great place to vent a little.

                                                 

                                                RunAndGun1 wrote:

                                                 

                                                Back on topic. My main issue with camping comes from poor map design. In my experience / opinion, I find small maps force people to camp more because you have much less time to react after spawning. If I have a choice between small, medium and large maps my experience is more enjoyable and challenging. Because I get to "choose" what kind of match I want to experience. BO2 was mostly - what I would call - tiny maps. Which resulted in mostly clusterfk matches. That's not fun to me when I don't have time to think in every match. I don't consider Mirage or Turbine to be medium sized maps. They're small to me when compared to past COD titles like W@W. In my opinion, BO2 was an utter failure and an insult to its fans for the very reason of offering only one style of playstyle. From what I've seen of Ghosts, I'm very excited. In the meantime, I'm playing BO1 because it plays better then BO2 in every way.

                                                 

                                                Map design was a huge issue with BO2. The maps were small. And even when not small... very corridor driven. They control the line of sight so that most battles are mid-range to CQC. Even open areas restrict length of engagement with hill slopes or objects restricting lines of sight. This was done, from my POV, to accommodate 4v4 playabliity.

                                                 

                                                Hopefully Ghosts will focus on making maps 6v6 playable and black off areas to make them playable for 4v4 (if needed).

                                            • Re: camping and stealth
                                              mdub

                                              RunAndGun1 wrote:

                                              What's divisive is a game developer designing maps geared specifically towards one group of people. As Treyarch did with Black Ops 2. Designing maps specifically for the MLG community was the worst business decision ever made

                                              Very much agreed.

                                            • Re: camping and stealth
                                              PUR4IDO

                                              Aren't we all "trying" to play well and win? I don't understand why ppl use that term. I got called a tryhard by an entire party for using an MP & an EMP nade. I apologized. Sorry for not wanting to get killed by your Sentry/Guardian Combo in the Blue House on Slums. I don't even know what's camping anymore. If you happen to come out of a room and see an opponent running by and you shoot him from behind, you're a camper. I like to run around, but as I soon as I start racking up kills, I slow down and tend to post more. Is that considered camping? IMO, if you're using a SR or an LMG, aren't you supposed camp? Running around w an LMG is not the smartest thing to do and you shouldn't win gun fights in CCQ. To each his own.

                                                • Re: camping and stealth
                                                  rankismet

                                                  PUR4IDO wrote:

                                                   

                                                  Aren't we all "trying" to play well and win? I don't understand why ppl use that term. I got called a tryhard by an entire party for using an MP & an EMP nade. I apologized. Sorry for not wanting to get killed by your Sentry/Guardian Combo in the Blue House on Slums. I don't even know what's camping anymore. If you happen to come out of a room and see an opponent running by and you shoot him from behind, you're a camper. I like to run around, but as I soon as I start racking up kills, I slow down and tend to post more. Is that considered camping? IMO, if you're using a SR or an LMG, aren't you supposed camp? Running around w an LMG is not the smartest thing to do and you shouldn't win gun fights in CCQ. To each his own.

                                                   

                                                  I'm over the "play how I want you to" crowd. I never apologize. I'll ask:

                                                   

                                                  1. Want my address to mail me $60? No? Until then, I'll play how I want.
                                                  2. How should I play? Like you? We just won by 30 tags. I'm thinking however you're playing might suck.

                                                   

                                                  If the other team is running everywhere, I camp. Could care less if they whinge worse than a 5 year old being denied a cookie. If the other team is camping, I run. If the other team is dug in like a tick on a hound-dog, I tube. I EMP everywhere... why? Because it's smart.

                                                   

                                                  My motto has been and always will be...

                                                   

                                                  Every weapon is valid. Anything that kills them, and not you, is smart.

                                            • Re: camping and stealth
                                              maccabi

                                              camping has been apart of fps gaming since people first lanned up doom

                                               

                                              the ONLY way map design would come into play is if you made all maps empty and round

                                                • Re: camping and stealth
                                                  rankismet

                                                  maccabi wrote:

                                                   

                                                  camping has been apart of fps gaming since people first lanned up doom

                                                   

                                                  the ONLY way map design would come into play is if you made all maps empty and round

                                                   

                                                  I got called a camper the other night... and to prove a point (knowing we would win anyway)... I spawned and never moved.

                                                   

                                                  Ever.

                                                   

                                                  Went 7-8... even spawned on a couple of tags.

                                                   

                                                  The guy whining left the next match half way through.

                                                • Re: camping and stealth
                                                  LifeSong1

                                                  I understand your point about stealth not equating to a camper as a runner can use stealth. This is true.

                                                   

                                                  As for why a camper camps, I think it has to do with the map a little bit but even the smallest maps (like Rust) could still be camped.  I think it is a preference for the player. Many don't do well running around trying to get a kill or they want to play in a more realistic way (independent of whether the game is realistic or not).  Ultimately I truly believe it is one's preference that causes camping, nothing else.