5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2013 11:48 AM by trialstardragon RSS

Should CoD Take After Dark Souls; Limited Check Points, NG+, and Repetition is Obligatory For Completion

ghamorra

Call of Duty has had a lack luster campaign for a couple years now. I think is mostly do to it's lack of content and quick completion. I don't know if this is because the developers are more concerned with CoD's interest in multiplayer over its campaign, if they want the player base to focus on MP to generate higher interest in DLC thus making more $$$, or if they really don't know how to put together a solid campaign (I can't think off the top of my head any Activision game in last 5 years that had a highly intriguing main story).

So here's an idea:

What if CoD took it's short story, threw in some NG+ difficulties, made the AI very unforgiving to begin with, and generate an upgrade system that forced players to replay the campaign. Examples would be having to choose which route to go through each route giving the player a unique item (perk, attachment, camo, ect).

As mentioned before, you don't need to put to terribly much effort into this as NG+ can easily substitute for added levels and I feel difficulty is much easier to code.

Thoughts, concerns, ideas?

• Re: Should CoD Take After Dark Souls; Limited Check Points, NG+, and Repetition is Obligatory For Completion
          phxs72

I think that they got a little bit into this with the BO2 campaign via the customizable loadouts and the couple of missions where you had to make a decision.  But you are correct that there isn't much replay value in the campaign even though the first play through is fun.  I think that is what killed Spec Ops.  They too were fun to play but once you completed them, the trill was mostly gone.  I don't know how Dark Souls plays but I think what you are suggesting is something along the lines of what the Wing Commander series did.  In WC, you would make certain decisions before going on a mission and once in the mission your performance successful or otherwise determined which piece of the story you would see for your next mission.  Some of the missions eventually overlapped but the only way to play all of the missions was to choose different paths along the way.  So that campaign had some incentive for replay.

• Re: Should CoD Take After Dark Souls; Limited Check Points, NG+, and Repetition is Obligatory For Completion
              ghamorra

If you haven't played Dark Souls I highly suggest you do. I would go as far as to say that everyone should be required to play the game as it grants you an incredible appreciation for other games. Dark Souls is so unforgiving you do grow a lot as a gamer upon it's completion.

That being said it shows you just how lacking other games are in their development. Dark Souls constantly having a high risk low reward format means that you appreciate the little things more. CoD is the exact opposite, we (or at least I among a few others) have discussed this many times in our topics of instant gratification. Where many in this community expect to set records every time they play, Dark Souls gives you a truly unsurpassed amount of satisfaction for just barely making it out alive regardless of how you happen to succeed.

This series is moving more around MP and less around SP. So they probably feel less of a need to make deep SP anymore since only a few people that buy the game play the Sp anymore and complete it, most go just straight to MP.

I think they need to make certain weapons and attachments only unlockable if you play and beat the SP on various difficulty levels.

ie IR for snipers. Must beat mission 5 on veteran with no deaths to unlock.

But should they do this many players that dont like SP will cry its not fair and to put it back to how it was.

ghamorra

What's interesting about having a complex unlock system and NG+ difficulties is that I don't think it really goes deep into any form of story. It would be super easy to implement. I find most games with NG+ difficulty (ie Diablo) have a story mode that might take you a good bit of time to complete the first time, but once you understand what you're suppose to do it might take a 4-5 hours tops to complete.

Going off of what you said; to unlock the IR scope for a sniper you have to beat mission 5 on NG++ with no deaths. This means a player would have to play the game 3x to do this. If the Squads gamemode is how I think it is, this would work really well with a Co-Op format. Hard games are much more fun to play when you have friends getting pissed off with you.

DIII depending upon level and mode can be completed in 3-6 hours. And on the higher it can take 8+ unless using modded items.

on easy you can walk through just about every quest with no fear. on mp5 it may take you an hour if not geared correctly. then change that to inferno mode and well it may take 2-4 hours per quest.

And the story is a little different each time for you cannot get all story items in one play through. And different events do not always spawn each play through so to do them all it takes multiple play through's.

Each character is different in what they say and how they are responded to by the main characters to some degree and the npc and followers based upon gender and class.

So there is more to it then just one play through in value. To learn everything, see everything, hear everything, do everything it takes multiple times with different toons.