17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2013 6:51 AM by CallofDutyUO RSS

Concerns about CoD: Ghosts - PC

Hello fellow forum users.

I haven't played a CoD came on PC since CoD4 and was thinking of picking up Ghosts. What concerns me is the PC community has almost disappeared since the CoD4 days. I feel like the problem comes from a lack of servers and forcing players to use the matchmaking system. I want to know from some of the people who have been playing CoD on PC for the past few installments (MW3, MW2, BO2) if CoD on PC is still even worth playing or is simply dying a slow death? Is there even a competitive CoD scene on PC anymore?

• Re: Concerns about CoD: Ghosts - PC

i think cod 4 is the best in the series, after it the games were one worse than the other... i know there'll be some version of castrated dedicated servers but i can't make myself to look forward to the "epic battles" like 5 vs 5 or 8 vs 8 which will be a norm, i guess

To be perfectly honest, it is not worth getting on PC anymore... It's not even worth their effort to release a PC version anymore, the remaining PC CoD community is SO small that they should honestly just switch to consoles.

They are teasing us by saying "rentable servers to come post launch" but anyone with at least half a functional brain cell knows it's just their newest tactic to try to trick people into pre-ordering... (and there are already people out there going "omg they're giving us servers, they do care" and pre-ordering)

Ghosts on PC will be the same garbage matchmaking that's used in MW2, MW3, and BO2... If they actually do give rentable servers post launch (and that's a HUGE if) they certainly won't be functional.  No, if they actually do give rentable servers they'll be sabotaged to hell and back just like the MW3 unranked dedi's were.

Activision does not want the PC community to have a functional dedi server system because it extends the lifespan of the game.  Just look at CoD4 and how to this day it maintains more players daily than Black Ops 2 EVER HAD!!!  Activision would love nothing more than to shut down CoD4 for good and force everyone to buy a newer CoD game to continue playing.

I'll be renting it on console just to see what they've done with the gameplay itself (since there's no difference between console and PC version)  If there's something groundbreaking with the gameplay that makes me want to buy it... I'll get a used copy so Activision won't see a penny from the sale...

Activision is literally the worst gaming company in the world... Take a look at 007 Legends and how bad that game is... that is the future of CoD... (just remember how stupidly popular 007 was back in the day, and what Activision has done to the franchise)

Th3_St4lk3r

I wouldn't say they shouldn't release it on PC at all. Instead they should release a separate PC-only CoD game, which focuses on the PC communities needs:

• Dedis
                • Mod Support
                • Larger (scalable) Maps

Basically a CoD4 2.0.They wouldn't have to release a new game every year, but they could still get money by releasing addons/dlc every year, or simply with microtransactions for new gun camos/calling cards. (I know a lot of people who bought most of the BO2 camos.)

Activision does not want the PC community to have a functional dedi server system because it extends the lifespan of the game.  Just look at CoD4 and how to this day it maintains more players daily than Black Ops 2 EVER HAD!!!  Activision would love nothing more than to shut down CoD4 for good and force everyone to buy a newer CoD game to continue playing.

It's true, but you can't blame a company for trying to get the highest amount of money possible. And sadly, that's achieved by focusing on teenage console players.

I'm still hoping for some different developers to make the PC FPS players happy, but so far none of them has delivered.

EDIT:

And no, the PC CoD community is not dead yet. If you look at all people who play CoD games online, you still have a lot more than most other FPS games on PC have. And just because new games aren't well received, it doesn't mean the community dies. If you look at Counterstrike, or Quake, it didn't have a good release in ages, and still a huge amount of people play it.

Basing the post Call of Duty 4 releases, then i'd agree with you there ProperDedisNeeded. But I still think there is more to offer from Activision and Infinity Ward.

The PC community isn't exactly dead and buried, it's more in hibernation and if there were a good Call of Duty release they would come out of their holes and represent the community, but as it stands at the moment a handful are playing each release from CoD2 - BO2.

For Ghosts to be a good game, all it really needs are willing participants. Yes good things like mod tools and dedi-servers would help, but they aren't fundamentally needed, but saying that for an eSports title it would need to be fair and stable, therefore the above would more or less need be a necessity.

All it really needs is backup from a tournament site, a couple of LAN events and many participants then the rest will follow. Well that's what one keen Call of Duty gamer can hope for eh?

MrAdaptability

MattjA wrote:

The PC community isn't exactly dead and buried, it's more in hibernation and if there were a good Call of Duty release they would come out of their holes and represent the community, but as it stands at the moment a handful are playing each release from CoD2 - BO2.

The main thing is there are far less casual gamers on the PC platform, so you get a smaller overall playerbase because of that. Like it or not casuals are generally the market that makes or breaks a game in terms of monetary success. Hell just the other day Mark Rubin was talking about this very thing, how the majority of COD gamers are casual gamers. If they don't give PC players what they want then PC players have no issues boycotting them and sticking with COD4/W@W or moving on to a different game that does support the PC communities wants. COD is our generation's Mario, even people that don't play video games are aware of or have played/bought COD games.

MattjA wrote:

Basing the post Call of Duty 4 releases, then i'd agree with you there ProperDedisNeeded. But I still think there is more to offer from Activision and Infinity Ward.

For Ghosts to be a good game, all it really needs are willing participants. Yes good things like mod tools and dedi-servers would help, but they aren't fundamentally needed, but saying that for an eSports title it would need to be fair and stable, therefore the above would more or less need be a necessity.

All it really needs is backup from a tournament site, a couple of LAN events and many participants then the rest will follow. Well that's what one keen Call of Duty gamer can hope for eh?

It doesn't matter how good the gameplay itself is, or how much support they get from tournament sites/lan events... As long as they continue to force consolized matchmaking the community will continue to get smaller and smaller... Each CoD title since MW2 has had a smaller population, and each title has died off faster than the others...

Forcing conslized matchmaking on the PC community is removing all of the most BASIC features, customization, and most importantly CHOICE that PC gamers have ALWAYS had... Gameplay doesn't matter AT ALL when most gametypes are not even included, and many of the ones that are included are unplayable because everyone flocks to TDM (in order to get a larger player pool and better matchmaking)

MW2, MW3, and BO2 all forced certain players to play game types they did not like in order to play the game... What's worse, it's the hardcore community that gets screwed over, and if you look at any older CoD the vast majority of the PC community prefers hardcore...

They said they are working to release rent-able servers and Mod Tools post launch. If they get to do it, it is going to be another competitive game as CoD4, otherwise its going to be the same joke since even tho there's a "competitive" playlist which will use MLG rules, they are far away from what we are used in CoD4 Promod ( ex: stuns and some perks )

kenib77 wrote:

They said they are working to release rent-able servers and Mod Tools post launch. If they get to do it, it is going to be another competitive game as CoD4, otherwise its going to be the same joke since even tho there's a "competitive" playlist which will use MLG rules, they are far away from what we are used in CoD4 Promod ( ex: stuns and some perks )

Sorry but you're wrong... too much wishful thinking...

IF they do release rentable servers post launch, they will NOT be what you would call functional... I can already pretty much guarantee they will not be ranked or allow progression of any kind, they'll be locked down so forget about customization, updates will fubar any mods (if mods are even possible) so forget about promod...

They already showed us quite clearly what they consider "CoD4 like" dedicated servers... just look at the disaster that is MW3 unranked dedi's... They were sabotaged in every way imaginable... from being OFF by default, to having create a class hidden under the matchmaking sub-menu, to being nearly as locked down as ranked was for no reason...

It is going to be a joke... there is zero hope for a return to the glory days of CoD4 style servers and the lag free, troublemaker free, hacker free, customizable games we all enjoyed.   That's why they shouldn't even bother to release a PC version, because the console versions are EXACTLY the same, only with far less hackers and like 30 times more players...

MoGElijah

Another concern is the chaos about the minimum requirements that were put out by nVidia (which as are pretty high) but never refuted or corrected by Activision. If it was my product the last thing I would want is potential customers wondering/pausing before purchase if they can even run it. Here we are with game launch a few weeks away and nothing but crickets from Activision. The remarks I have seen in many community forums is not so much CoD version bashing but more like - I know the specs BF4 needs... or - I don't know anyone buying cod ghosts but lots of people have already bought BF4... You can only ignore your PC customer base for so long before they lose interest. It seems Activision is counting on the "auto-buzz" fairy to magically get customers super hyped about buying this title but I have not seen a single person talking about standing in line all night to pick up a copy or hoping to be able to afford a download pre-order. This title is not getting much PC love. A few tweets about post-launch this & that is not going to get a wary PC community excited again. Activision has lied too many times to PC gamers pre-launch and it seems the slow down in sales is coming back on them for it. I like the series, appreciated the intricate, detailed work on the maps, models and animations especially for the SP but to be honest I gave up on MP years ago.

[pde]paulkersey

Well it hasn't been worth anything for me and others I know/play with daily on CoDWaW (CoD5). Newer players come to our server saying how WaW is better than Black Ops 2. I could only imagine since I don't buy any of the others that are like MW2 and post MW2. All I have to do is come back and read here after the games release or if I know someone who blindly bought the games to see that current CoDs are a joke on PC. There's always misleading talk or lies and I don't care how many people praised Black Ops 1, Dedicated Servers T-shirts the devs wore were still misleading up to the game's release. MW3 mislead with "CoD4-like" servers (see ) and Black Ops 2 did it with the term "dedicated" servers. It's pretty simple what everyone needs/wants and its what we have in CoDWaW and CoD4 - True, Real Dedicated Servers with No Gimmicks.

my biggest concern is that there are to many game mode here you receive a suit case with objectives that could give a noob the possibility to kill the hole enemie team  .

one of the biggest attractive on this game is the map changing into a hole different thing and one way its hard , that is a long gun kill streak and very few time's that we will see it or a thing for noobs . 

Detox420

I personalty like a smaller community when using matchmaking. You have a better chance of getting into matches that have close to the same people playing in them. You get to know the people playing and if they are not total douche bags make friends. This is mostly seen if you have the dlc. It doesn't happen much other wise. if you have the dlc you run a lower chance of playing with little kids who spend the entire game cursing people out. I have a friend who stopped playing on his xbox because he was tired of listening to the raciest homophobic rants that 13 year olds go on. Dedicated servers would also accomplish this if done right. Lag compensation would become less of a problem. You won't have someone playing in South America scoring higher than everyone else because their ping is high. I'm not sure about any hardcore competitive scene, because honestly I suck compared to most people.    

Being one of the few that had been through the journey of this series of game, from the first CoD game; it makes one sad to see what it have become. Don't get me wrong, it is still an awesome game, and I enjoy it. But having played each title, year after year, you get more and more angry and frustrated each time, every November. People have different reasons why they get mad, but my reason is plain that the creators is simply ******* the PC over and over. I mean, for every year it becomes more and more clear that they just want to make this game for those silly x-boxes. And I for one cannot understand how on earth you can play a FPS game on a console with a joystick. And for that regard, if any, I would get my games to a Playstation, which I find is the better console.

Yes, I do own a console myself, and yes, it is a Playstation 3. But the only games I could think about buying for that, is games such as driving games (Need for Speed), sports games, (FIFA, NHL) or RPG, GTA, Diablo, Final Fintasy.

A game as Call of Duty is made for PC. You need a mouse and a keyboard to aim precise and accurate. But the truth is the opposite. With each title the maps get smaller and smaller, and the weapons get easier and easier to use. Example: MW3, which even tho I enjoyed it very very much the first couple of month, is ridiculous in terms of maps; they are all small like hell (Mission, Dome) and people being able to use a SMG on every single map (MP7).

I will get ghost, I'll tell you that. But the next title, that's a no. Mainly because it's Treyarch, and I think they are absolutly rubbish. But I also feel that it have to come to a close at some point. I miss the first CoD titles, great maps such as Hurtgen, Brecourt, Harbor, Downville and Carentan.

And I will never yield and play a FPS game on a silly X-box....

You comment made me cry...i still play some pcws on CoD2 and even tho there are plenty of hackers it is still the best fps they have ever made. I just hope in rent-able servers and mod tools to make Ghosts competitive removing all those noob-friendly stuff, but i know there is a very low chance for this to be true. I also agree on ending the series at a point, and this is my last CoD for sure, its like a girlfriend you have been with for 7 years that keeps on cheating on you yet you are too in love to break up. No more room for mistakes from now on

Th3_St4lk3r

I know that feel...

Your comment sums up what most (experienced) PC players think. PC players are indeed pretty much going slowly extinct, when it comes to FPS games. Of course there are still the old games we can play, but those are played less as well.

I'm not really confused why this all happens. Consoles are cheaper than a PC, so the newer generation gets them. There are more console players than PC players, so the devs care for them, not for us. Although FPS games were made for Mouse/Keyboard, it seems more and more people prefer Controllers (just look at all the 'Controller Support for PC' threads here).

I do not understand your hate towards Treyarch though. There games aren't perfect, but they definetly care more about PC players than IW. (Full dedis in BO1, dedis in BO2, FoV slider options, actual ping numbers isntead of bars, etc.)

What scares me with this game is  locked FPS @ 60 no Fov settings and servers  what is up with the servers in CODMW3 full on BS for PC gaming COD4MW was not like this or am I wrong as its been a long time. If I wanted a console gaming experience I would buy one. What made me walk from COD was it could not do my screen resolution correct even tho the in game settings allowed it. Now I come back as Ghosts shows some hope female skins at long last but after a week of homework on it I am not feeling so good as its all made for console %!#

Who of you recall the good old days of Quake 2? The mods and the way we could play with our configs as it should be for pc gamers. I paid big money and took years building my PC game box I don't want my fps locked at 60 same goes for my screen resolution If I wanted to play on one monitor then I would not have paid for my Samsung Md230x3 Screen resolution 5760 X 1080  and I only want to game on my full res. And do you think so far I can find any info if they fixed the screen res issue for Ghosts mm nope not so far most info is for the xbox or what not,

This past week I installed CODMW3 I bought it 2011 I think but never played it due to the servers and screen resolution issue I have. Anyway I had to install wide screen fixer to play it as they still never fixed it grrr. Don't they do patches anymore ? My game PC is my baby I spend my $$$ on PC parts not shoes and crap and I want over 60fps I run fraps I can see my fps and I can feel it lol. Sorry all this crap makes me crazy As I cant find all the info I want for PC Ghosts

Their are plenty of people still playing the original COD & UO expansion pack I still play a few nights a week, I own all the COD games still like the first ones very much. COD 2 very poor, not bad single player but really took off with the first modern warfare games since then its been game after game! Some of you players out there should get a copy of the first games & come & have fun because after all that's what its all about! Their are thousand's still playing the first games from all over the world, great fun