18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 2:02 PM by Lemwise RSS

Cod ghost mod tools for PC

Hey guys! I just saw on Mark Rubins twitter that he stated himself that they are working on Mod tools for Cod ghost on PC! Have you guys heard of this yet? Im so freakin hyped! Just go to his twitter and watch on october 7 and you should see it! This is awesome for the PC community, might buy cod ghost if its true!

This is what he wrote!

Mark Rubin @IWMarkRubin    7 Oct   

@Tintindye I hope so, but the work hasn't started so promising wouldn't be nice of me. Also started designing out mod tools for PC. Will see

So what do you guys think? Will this make you buy the game if its true? I sure will if its true!

• Re: Cod ghost mod tools for PC

I was hyped too, at least they mentioned it this year.

But only time will tell if it is only a cheap marketing technique or a real project

Tintindye

When i ask if it will happen for sure the answer was NO. it just a hope. its not the first time IW use that trick  ...

dont buy game until it comes out so you can see will there be mod tools and if you even like the game easy like that...

CYBER-NINJA-187

If we put our analytical heads on and take a harder look at Mark Rubin’s choice of words, we can analyse it for hidden meanings. In his second sentence he says “Started designing out Mod tools for PC”. This statement throws us out a bone, one which we are all dying to chew on. However, the two words “Mod tools” are not the most interesting words he has chosen to use. The two most interesting words come next - “Will see”. Basically he has hinted at giving us something and then taken it away. This gives us hope that the Holy Grail of PC gaming will perhaps appear? But it is in no way a confirmation that they ACTUALLY will appear. So is it a marketing strategy to boost PC sales? Or is it a genuine statement making us aware of some work which is happening at the IW studios? Only time will tell and confirm which question is indeed correct. And as individuals we can make up our own minds which one is correct? However the plot thickens and with a little bit of investigating, we may have discovered the true answer?

Infinity Ward asked this question via Twitter on 30th July 2013:-

Infinity Ward @InfinityWard30 Jul

What #GhostsMP details are most important to you? We're listening. #Aug14 pic.twitter.com/Yoxe72pHgP

View photo

So how many people answered and said Mod tools? How many people said dedicated servers? The answers were obviously collated and entered into a database and guess which press releases came out shortly afterwards? Oh yes 2 plus 2 does indeed equal 4. The real question is have we all been the victim’s of a clever marketing strategy or not? Only the post-launch support will answer that question. And this is where we will find out for-sure if this is just a clever marketing tactic or not? Both Eric Hirshberg and Mark Rubin have gone on record stating that CoD Ghosts will get the best post-launch support ever. Mark has also further stated that the PC version will get features added post-launch. I hope and pray that IW does deliver as promised and Ghosts will be the game to play for many years to come? But that’s only if features like Mod tools and proper ranked and rentable dedicated servers, with a server browser are implemented into the game. The PC community is holding its breath Infinity Ward, please DO NOT let us Suffocate!!!

A very well written reply! If its just a marketing strategy I will be very mad. But at the same time they have done this alot of times already, MW2 and MW3. So I wouldnt be surprised if its just a "scam". But this time around I will wait until we get mod tools and REAL dedicated servers and a server browser. If we dont get it, then they wont get my money, easy as that.

CYBER-NINJA-187

LOL thanks.

Just spotted this, more TwitterChatter:-

1. 1. Michael @MrPeanutSmith17 Oct

@IWMarkRubin Any updates about possible Ghosts mod tools?

1. 2. Mark Rubin @IWMarkRubin17 Oct

@MrPeanutSmith Nothing firm but we are still looking at the work involved and breaking down the tasks. I'm still very hopeful

I guess very hopeful is a step forwards??? Now where are those Jedi mind tricks when you need them? Altogether now - ‘You will develop and release Mod tools for the PC!’.    

Well very hopeful might not be a step forward, but we can allways hope. I really hope we get mod tools and real dedicated servers. But I will wait until we actually have it, and then buy it. Dont know why its so hard for them to give straigth awnsers!

CYBER-NINJA-187

The most likely reason is Mod tools reduce the number of DLC sales and as Activision is a profit making company the bottom line has always to be protected. This is true for any company and a simple strategy to ensure growth as well as turnover. So this reason alone may probably be the death of Mod tools for most new games released? I suspect that the earliest we would ever see Mod tools actually being released, is after the DLC season has finished for Ghosts? Especially as Microsoft has the DRM contract in place. The releasing of any 'Extra' features, which would impact on that agreement and hinder sales could jeopardise that partnership. This would be Activision shooting itself in the foot, so if we ever actually got them, then it would be just before the next Call of Duty released in 2014. But then would Mod tools affect the sales of the next release? It's all a dilemma which will be debated for a long time sadly.

Furthermore have you noticed that in the first tweet, Mark said “Started designing out Mod tools for PC”. And in the second tweet he states “Still looking at the work involved and breaking down the tasks”. So is all that part of the design process? Or maybe it’s for costing purposes or labour/resource quantifying perhaps? It may well just be studio-speak of some kind, hard to say really as I’m not a developer. The other option is of course it may well just be a yarn to boost PC sales? Hard to say really, but we will only know for-sure if and when Mod tools actually do ever get released??? 

Hehe yeah, its alot of things that makes it sound like its fake, but as you say. We can only wait and see, and thats exactly what im going to do, this time around they aint getting my money if they dont make this game the way its supposed to be made!

Im can say for sure that if they gave us REAL dedicated servers and mod tools, the game would sell alot on PC, but they are too much into this DLC ****. The developers are so ignorant. It works on Consoles because they buy everything but PC gamers want the real deal!

CYBER-NINJA-187

LOL If my theories are correct, then Nine months is a hell of a long time to wait? I’d rather play the crap out of the game and have as max fun as possible. Then when/if Mod tools did get released, I’d get a whole new game experience in a familiar setting. Plus I’d have the ranks, knowledge, expertise and experience to explore new maps and modes. All this would give me the edge on all those wait-and-see dudes, sitting on that fence of expectancy. I may be dreaming and living in hope, but it’s a dream I would love to become reality!!!

The reason people want to wait and see, is because they have tricked us since freakin cod4. They have said that we would get dedicated servers and ****, and it allways was bullshit. We might have gotten dedicated servers, but not REAL dedicated servers instead some **** thats just as bad as P2P. Also I wont wait 9 months haha. I am actually just playing random games right now until 2GD:s game Reborn is released! Then I will play the **** out of Reborn because I think it will be the next big FPS game in Esport. So if Ghost fails, which im pretty sure it does, since they dont give a **** what we say, then I will just play Reborn!

But I will allways keep my hope up that they start listening to the PC community, since here is the real competition, not on some shitty consoles with controlls and aim assist. There is absolutely nothing competitive with that. FPS is about aiming and console gamers dont even need that. Yes im pissed..

matuzz

Black Ops mod tools are still in beta.

And don't hope to get mapping tools anyway.