7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 5:19 AM by phxs72 RSS

Disappointed in Activision with Elite

KTPhoenix

What I find disappointing about Activision is how they treated Elite. I am in a clan and we just started as a clan because the original clan we were apart of was already the highest level we could be and the leader decided to be an ass and kick everyone because we didnt like what he did (he cheated by bringing his second account on to level up.).

So now that we created a new clan with most of the same people, we have been trying to do clan challenges to level up. To our surprise, no matter what we did, nothing helped us to level up. Our leaders didnt know what was going on. And our leaders couldnt sign us up for challenges for some reason because Elite wouldnt let them. So I tried and to my surprise, I was able to sign us up. They didnt understand how and I told them that ANYONE could sign the clan up as long as the clan had 1 premium member. I knew I was premium which is why I did it. So we went through the challenge, busting our ass against stupid opponents and BS circumstances all to find out that Elite told us that we would not receive any XP or badges since our clan didnt have a premium member. I was infuriated by this since I knew we had one cuz I was one.

After a bit of research, I found out that as soon as Elite went free, Activision stopped selling Premium memberships and the program not longer read premium memberships. So as soon as I found this out I got more pissed because they didnt say ANYTHING about this. Yes they said something about going free, but they did NOT say anything about how that would effect clan leveling.

I told my clan leader about this and he said that we needed to figure something out for Ghosts, otherwise, there is no point in having the clan. After that, I told him I found out about the "Clan Wars" app for Ghosts and we would be fine since that program is specifically for Ghosts which means Elite is no longer going to be used.

I dont understand why they did this. They got rid of the ability to level clans up in Elite by making it free, and they didnt tell anyone they did so. I wonder how many clans were frustrated by this ordeal. I understand about Ghosts having its own clan thing, but you dont get rid of the essential part of Elite that helps level your clan up when the next game isnt even out yet.

• Re: Disappointed in Activision with Elite
          zvers

Yeah, elite has been a 'red headed' step child since it was introduced.

One would venture to guess that they will release an Elite update just before the launch of ghosts. What that patch address's, well, who knows.

LifeSong1

Everything you are referring to only affects Elite for MW3.

You only needed a premium member for your clan ops to count in MW3. You had to have a premium member in your clan in order to enlist and then only premium members counted.  Clan Challenges would still count and you can enlist.  There will be no clan ops or clan challenges for MW3 starting 11/9 (last one is scheduled for 11/8). They didn't get rid of the ability to level up your clan when they made it free, they just still required a premium member in the clan (which they did still look for).

For BO2, they got rid of the concept of premium and anyone in your clan can enlist the entire clan in the operation or challenge.  Every member could contribute to every op/challenge with the only restriction being that they had to be in the clan at the time of enlistment in order to contribute.

Elite for BO2 was a total joke (and to some extent MW3) as they didn't support it in any way aside from adding new ops/challenges to partake in. It was an extremely buggy system that allowed clans with 2 people in it to win a clan op...all without playing a single minute during the clan op. 

I'm glad Elite is going away and I hope the new Clan system for Ghosts is much improved and actually supported.

phxs72

I'll just add that Premium memberships were sold with expiration dates.  It expired one year after you purchased it.  So for most, their memberships expired not too long after BO2 came out.  I will concur that Elite has been and continues to be a pain in the butt which is why I'm thankful that they are scrapping it for a new app.  I don't know if the new app will be any better but I sure hope that they were at least smart enough to eliminate a lot of the coding issues that killed Elite.

LifeSong1

While they had expiration dates, I'm not sure what the expiration date was used for. I'd almost guarantee you that no one in my clan bought their Elite membership a year ago, but I can still go into Elite and register my clan for Clan Ops. I know they extended it for some, but not sure for how long (I know it was only for a few months or so).  I'm not sure what the expiration date was ever used for.  A part of me wishes they would have gotten rid of Elite with BO2 instead of implementing a half-hearted and severely broken system.  The other part was glad to have a clan even though there were some issues. My desire is to have a good clan system that truly works and is done properly. I can only hope that Beachhead has learned from the many, many, many mistakes of Elite and actually deliver a good product this year. There is so much potential there...

phxs72

The expiration dates determined whether or not your clan could still get credit for clan ops/challenges in MW3.  My clan actually went through a few month period where all of our members subscriptions had run out.  I could still enlist us but it didn't count.  Eventually we brought in a guy that still had an active subscription and we were able to finish leveling up.  He must have gotten his membership really late in the year during MW3's lifecycle.

KTPhoenix

I have no problem signing our clan up for challenges. Even though it said we had to have at least 1 and it never said anything like "your clan doesnt have a premium member so you cant sign up for this challenge", I assumed everything was fine. I know they had expiration dates but once those expire, you cant renew since Activision is not selling them anymore which means we chant level up. And the message I got was "Since your clan didnt have a premium member at the time of enlistment, your clan will not be awarded any XP or badges for completing the challenge."

phxs72

Exactly.  Back in MW3 only the clan leader could sign up for the challenges but it didn't matter if he was premium or not.  The only thing that mattered was that he had a premium member with an active subscription in the clan at the time that he signed up.  The only difference between then and today is that any clan member is supposed to be able to sign the clan up.