7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 3:21 PM by Tick7 RSS

Ghosts/ Cod 4...

rustygun

Hi guys. Just thought I'd share a an observation I made last night while playing my fave cod of all time, Cod 4...I never could really put my finger on exactly why I still prefer it, even now, nearly 7 years later. But last night it hit me. After several of encounters with players who rinse me on other modern cods, and gaining the upper hand because they were too busy reloading or bringing their sights up to return fire, and trying to dance around me to pathetically avoid getting shot, it suddenly hit me......This game was for everyone, just like the new trailer for ghosts suggests that ghosts is, and a brilliant trailer it is too...

Cod 4 was for dad who never played it before, it was for mum, who just fancied a quick go, and it was for anybody who heard about the massive new coming of a new generation that was cod 4. You didn't have to learn the four thousand perks and five thousand counters, you didn't have to worry about coming out from behind a tree because you were going to get insta killed by a super speed, insect like run and gunner or cut in half by yet another sentry gun! You didnt even have to suffer the constant bombardment of a hiddiously overpowered air strike that lasted two minutes...you just played the game, man on man, gun on gun, with more funny moments in ten minutes than you could ever get in ten minutes on a cod title today...

It was the enjoyment factor that came from feeling involved, feeling like you could kill someone, you could make a difference, it was rewarding for everyone win or lose. The biggest thing I enjoyed about cod 4 was the amount of kit you could take into battle which is sadly and boringly restricted today, three grenades, two clay mores, flash grenade, and generally more power to the player instead of the kill streaks.

Look, don't get me wrong before I get a wad of "Go play cod 4 then..." posts. I've enjoyed all the cods, but there's something missing from all of them after cod 4, aLitho ugh I did enjoy waw in a similar way. From what I've seen of ghosts at least the devs have reduced kill streaks and maps seem more open and less matey, and hopefully simple to navigate, even gun sounds seem better, so maybe this could be the new cod 4, I really hope so because I love the franchise, I just want to get that addiction back again.

Sorry it was a long post guys, I just felt I had to share this. Thanks for stopping by and reading

• Re: Ghosts/ Cod 4...
          Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I've been saying this for a while and my experience with ghosts is that it's trying to re-capture the magic of COD 4.

The only complaint I have is the TTK. You drop really fast on this COD. It's like they made Core HC and you don't have time to react to someone shooting at you.

ps3noob

II'm am trying to get demonic to understand this point

it's a personal challange though he is as hard to prove wrong as my debate team  was

rustygun

Mmm, im just trying to visualise how quick you mean. I must admit its a balance thing again isn't it that cod 4 got so sweetly spot on, why did they ever change it...But anyway my views on that are that black ops two could take a clip to bring someone's down so in a private game I would lower the health, and most of my buddies played hc on bo2 because of the issue. So I'm all for it. The problem I had with bo2 and to some extent some other cods was the insta kill WTF moment, when it wasn't just the two bulletins that killed you that was the problem, but the fact you were killed before the guy got round the corner! He just wasn't there, but was in the replay, a lag thing I guess?

I know what you're saying though, I enjoyed cod 4 and waw because they were the only cods where if you got hit you could still escape to cover and actually felt you could escape behind a wall. But on the same token I never felt I was struggling to kill people.

One of the moans at the moment from early adopters appears to be map size and design, people are saying the maps are too big for the 6 v 6 matches? Funny, they looked really good to me, medium size and fun!

Tick7

CoD: ghosts isn't for everyone.

It's for the high kill count player who avoids objectives and focuses on raking up kills.

Sort of like the way CoD was two or three years ago.

Perhaps now some will understand my criticism that this game is a several steps in the wrong direction for the series, at a very important time.

greencoffin72

Good post.  I agree that this title MAY change something. There was an article in the latest Game Informer that stated that gamers now just hate everything, there is no entertainment value left.  They want it their way every time.  Sad, really.

The only issue with BO2 for me was the horrible connections.  All other things were pretty balanced and fun.

I made the mistake of buying it yesterday.  Felt like an idiot.  It's like being an alcoholic.  You just can't say no and here I am back posting on the HQ.

EPIC FAIL!!

Agree, only real issue is connection. But it is addictive, bought it 30 min ago on xbox live lol

Tick7

sgtDLC wrote:

Agree, only real issue is connection. But it is addictive, bought it 30 min ago on xbox live lol

That's because you haven't played long enough.

Log close to 8 or 9 hours like some people already have, and you'll begin to see some of the issues.

And yes - CoD is a drug. This might be the final hit that we accept though; I have a feeling this game is going to get ROASTED by the community