32 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2013 11:33 AM by RawJustice RSS

aim assist test results

sorry i couldnt post a video i dont have a capture card.

the wiiremote features a snap on aim assist. this aim assist only works at mid to long range, there is no aim assist at close ranges. There are no other forms of aimassist for wiiremote.

DA has less formes of aimassist as it does in blackops 2, but it is still there. the game slows down your turn speed when you aim at or near an other player. the area surrounding the guy that the game slows down your turn speed is the same area that the wiiremote aim needs to be in to snap on. DA aimassist will not follow the a moving player but it will turn your screen if you are moving. the aim assist will however make it a little easier to hit a moving player.

without aimassist. id give the advantige to wiiremote if you turn it off. but i did notice that when you zoom in the transition from hip to ADS seemed to happen the moment you pushed the ADS button, there was no noticable gradual transition or when you are in ADS transition, this will effect some wii remote players overall but not all.

now the effects of aimassist, its recemended that DA sidestep when seeing any player, the wiiremote aimassist is stronger for any wiiremote player with decent skill, but do to the fact it doesnt track the player, moving around will help you survive against the okay wiiremote players but do little to nothing to the wiiremote pros. DA will lose do to the fact they cant aquire the target and there aim assist will often take effect 2 late, but if the wiiremote snap doesnt work, from that moment on the DA has the advantige, this will help them keep there target in view, but the game will not track the target so you need to do this manualy though the aimassist will help you do it manualy.

what id do to improve this: 1. add settings for how the wiiremote ads transition works, imediat: how it is currently, the ads options take effect whenever C is pressed, the slight flaws to those who dont like it will be hidden by the aimassist most of the time. 2. transition, this style will have the settings change as at the same speed of the ADS animation, this will feel more natural to some andn what id probly select. and 3. after the ADS animation is complete, this simply waits before transitioning into the ads animation, there are people who will prefer this. i personly would go with 2, but i did feel a stutter like effect do to 1 which did throw my aim off slightly.  it may help to have the ADS and hipfire settings identical to also hide the slilght stutter from the transistion.

• Re: aim assist test results

id fix the transition as said above, then remove wiiremote aimassist, then nerf DA aimassist to slow the turning speed down by 50-66% ruffly.

WiimotesRus02

lol I'm sorry but when I read the title my eyes shot over to see who wrote this, I thought it was going to be a corrupted troll thread by nintendon't

But,,,, if your findings are correct that is really good news about the DA's aim hold my hand assist, and at least should be the final nail in the coffin for any quickscopers. The wiimote won't effect me because Inever have and never will use assist. Can I ask you something other than the assist test, have you done any ads speed testing on both controllers, some feed back on that would be great, but thanks for this btw

like2nap03

I'll tell you that the ADS lock is gone so you can smoothly turn the screen after you ADS, but the turning speed is far too slow.  Trying to kill someone with stalker is almost impossible due to the fast kill times.  Though the settings between this game and BLOPS 2 are identical, the slow ADS turn speed seems to be a bigger problem.  Then again this whole "die instantly" deal is probably more lag than anything else.  I'm not sure yet, but that almost has to be it.  It's just different then BLOPS 2 so it's taking me some time to figure out what is going on.  In BLOPS 2 you would fire, get no hitmarkers, then the other guy would just drop you.  In this game, you get the hitmarkers.  The other guy takes some damage, but  you still get dropped in 1 shot.  It's weird.  Then the killcam (yes I know they are not always accurate) shows they fired several shots.  So I'm guessing it's just the lag comp and I haven't found a way to counter it yet.  Though I haven't put a lot of effort into doing so.  I'll worry about that after I finish the move and get a different ISP and modem.

WiimotesRus02

Thanks but thats not what I meant and I should have worded that better. What I mean is, is the wiimote still slower than DA's actually going into ads, the speed it takes raising your gun from running to looking down the sight?

like2nap03

WiimotesRus02 wrote:

Thanks but thats not what I meant and I should have worded that better. What I mean is, is the wiimote still slower than DA's actually going into ads, the speed it takes raising your gun from running to looking down the sight?

I never realized that was different.  I never paid attention to that.  Hmmmmm....(strokes imaginary beard because the wife made him shave it off.)  That tyrant of a woman.  That evil.....oh....hey honey.  I'm just chatting online.  Nothing to see here.

Excuse me...as I was saying.

I haven't tested the different controllers yet and I never paid attention to that when testing them in Black Ops 2.  I never knew it needed to be tested and the difference wasn't obvious enough for me to notice.  Not so obvious as aiming through walls and all the other DA crap in that game. 

i didnt notice anything when i tested, i dont have a capture card, so i can slow down frames and check for sure. i did play live games with and wihtout aimassist, the differenced was i missed the initial shot more often with out it, the wiiremote aimassist is likly OP atm, but there still needs to be a partial DA towndown before id take away wiimote aimassist and it be overall balanced. If the DA aimassist cant be changed (rumored must be same as 360 BS), then id shrink the area the wiiremote needs to aim for the snap on to work.

I'm sure the apologist will rear his head and cry how he'll never want to return to the days of MW3, where aim assist was balanced to some degree.

I digress

What I'm taking from your evaluation T-boss, and correct me if I'm wrong. the Traditional controller will had an advantage at long range because the Aim assist has snap on and sticky sights that help the player stay on target, but it takes longer for it to lock on than the Wiimote aim assist?

How would you compare it to BOII where it was basically ADS with enemy in your field of vision to get free kills?

The reality is that its a challenge to balance multiple control schemes.  Treyarch isnt going to totally gimp the aim assist features that have become an industry standard on all consoles for years now.  Its not like the DA controls on Wii U have a lot more aim assist than on 360 and PS3, they are pretty consistent.  The difference is that on Wii U, the DA controls had pretty much no aim assist, and Wii Remote players got used to having the advantage.  Now we have good DA players that do just as well as the good Wii Remote players.  Wii Remote players would probably be better off asking for more aim assist for their control scheme than trying to get DA controls gimped.  Maybe adding some sticky reticule to Wii Remote controls would make players happy.  Treyarch is going to look at balance from the viewpoint of how many people use Wii Remote and how many use DA.  If there is an unproportional amount of people at the top of the leader boards using one of the two control options, then they will see that as being out of balance, but if the leaderboards show a good mixture of both DA and Wii Remote players from the bottom to the top, then they will see that as balance.  

I wrote a borderline dissertation on the issue of Aim assist in Black Ops 2 so I'm well aware of why we have aim assist and how it's made to make the game more fast pace by streamlining aim on consoles.

The problem is the Wii U caters to two distinct controller schemes, one of which is the major difference between the Wii U version and every other (outside of PC.) Treyarch kicked this entire fanbase of in the teeth in Black Ops II by rewarding people for just finding the enemy and not actually having to properly at them. Considering CoD always has the reputation of 'the person who sees the other one first wins' Having stronger snap on and sticky cross hairs aim assist only compounds that problem.

It would be insulting to say that players using traditional controllers have improved when they basically have a crutch in the form of aim assist, and using the Valve solution of combating an overpowered mechanic by introducing the same overpowered mechanic for another group doesn't solve the problem and only aggravates it.

Consider the size of the maps, having stronger aim assist would be even more detrimental to the game than it was in BOII because being across the map won't matter if you can just snap on. (This doesn't even begin to touch on the issue of quick scoping.)

Adding more aim assist rather than reducing it would be the wrong direction to take and fracture the community worse than it already is.

WiimotesRus02

DA's had pretty much no aim assist and Wii Remote players got used to having the advantage????

You can't be serious?

no sticky aim for wiiremote, wiiremote already has stronger aim assist. i do preffer balance, but id be purfictly fine with wiiremote having stronger, which is ideal on the only consul that supports them as opposed to overpowered DA.

more like the opposite. the wiiremote will almost definitly when if the sight is remotly close to the player, and the person hes shooting at doesnt move. both controlers have only 1 form of aimassist. wiiremotes will snap to target, once they have snapped, there is no aimassist at all, unless they stop ADS and re ADS, at which point they were probly off staying in ADS.

DA has NO sight snap. they also have partial tug (if you will call it that). there aim assist simply slows your turn speed down once youo aim NEAR whoever your shooting at, this will also work if you are moving(where it turns your screen to face him). This will not compensate for your target moving.

the wiiremote snap area and the DA slowdown area are ruffly the same area, if not the same area.

wiiremote has the advantige simply because their aimassist allows wiiremote players to aquire, and often kill their target before DA players have time to aim at them, thus often killing them around the same time DA aimassist starts to kick in. Without aim assist i am able to compete and beat DA players, but i also consider myself a above avridge wiimote player regardless.

for gameplay, the wiiremote snap can be cancled simply by streiphing left or right in a gunfight, or any movement, the wiiremote play would then have to aim manualy, at this point the DA player would have better aimassist. by this i mean it doesnt sto pthe snap from happening, it just forces the wiiremote player to use his own unaimassist aided aim to kill you

Interesting, that's one blight from BOII that seems to have at least been reduced. If only we can go back to having lag shooting, rather been shackled down by lag compensation this game might be appealing enough to get at full price.

We shall see.

nintendon't

There has never been sight snap on DA in multiplayer in any of the CODs.

that aim assist snap is in zombies, not multyplayer, though that game does have stronger aim assist than ghost.

the snap illusion on killcams is simply lag+ the player moving in the direction of hte player, and stoping when hes aimed at him, the aimassist is storng enough ot usualy ensure a kill after that in BO2.

All the more reason to remove it and force the player to rely on their own skills.

I understand the example they gave was in zombies, but the snap was apparent in multi-player. I owned a ps3 before my wii u and owned MW2, Black Ops, MW3 and Black Ops, max prestige in all of them.

The point is when I aimed the aim assist was apparent and helpful to DA. I'm now on Wii U and the wii mote's aim assist pulls the gun onto the enemy. I'm comfortable playing DA so I do and I'm at a significant disadvantage versus wii mote users because they have sticky aim and I have to actually fight to get be on even playing field.

Either nerf wiimote aim assist or equal out DA and wiimote.

WiimotesRus02

MarthXXIV wrote:

Either nerf wiimote aim assist or equal out DA and wiimote.

I say leave it as it is, 2 reasons, nintendon't says there's no difference from bo2, he's an expert DA user and knows what he's talking about, the other reason, I never use aim assist so I wouldn't care about it being taken away, so if you make DA's stronger, it will be like bo2 but 10 times worse, so please, concentrate on the important things, don't mess it up for us for the second year in a row.

I say leave it the way it is now too. Its balanced as it is now. Also, they should increase health to 110% we die way too fast in this game. I dont even turn red, before I die. And either sharpen the contrast of the avatars because they blend with the map and you can't see an enemy at all from long range. Or add a marksman perk that lets you see red names from a distance when ADS just like MW3 had it.

nintendon't

I can see people just fine at long range (been loving the marksmen rifles). It must be your TV.

MajorStains

^ I agree.

Even when I knew the exact location of an enemy camping (which they can do if they want to),

I would approach from a slightly different spot and still really struggle to pick them out from the scenery.

I also agree with the OP, that the snap to ADS feels very slow, and the areas around the edge of the dead zone seem to merge in a slightly erratic way.

My only other issues are discussed on other threads eg. Spawns, hit detection.

Oh, and the fact that Wii U doesn't support cross-console Clan achievements. such a shame. Surely it has the capabilities.

Personally, I think Aim Assist shouldn't be in the game.