28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2013 11:56 AM by like2nap03 RSS

Something I noticed about the quick deaths @A_Trey_U

like2nap03

I think a lot of us can agree that you appear to die instantly in this game.  My first thought was that I appeared to die from a single bullet.  The screen just shows one hit and you instantly drop.  Maybe that's lag comp rearing it's ugly head, or maybe it's something else.

It appears as though everyone has dead on aim again, but maybe I'm dying fast because of lag.  IDK.  The killcam is so different from what happens on my screen, but those are unreliable anyway, so it's hard to tell what is going on.  I thought people were missing me because I seemed to die from one shot.  And who knows?  Maybe some of those shots are missing, but now I think that I am actually getting hit, but the game is simply not registering that on my screen.  I hear the shots.  I see the shots.  Then the sound of the game is almost muted.  I run for cover because my screen is not turning red so I think I'm safe and they can't aim.  Then I get one hit on my screen and I drop.  It's like it turns down the volume on everything, BUT there is no indication on my screen that I am being shot.  I just get the one red line on my screen as if I had take a single bullet and then I instantly die.

So, maybe this is some type of bug that needs to be fixed?  I could maybe record a poor quality video of my gameplay if need be.  I don't have a capture card so it will end up being the wife holding up a tablet to the TV, then taking 30 tries because she will keep talking in the middle of it.  lol  Or the dog will nudge her and make her move the camera at a crucial moment.  Maybe someone else should record it....

Right now the only time I survive a gunfight, when the opponent fires first, is if they have a sniper and don't get a one shot kill.  I'm far enough away to run from them at that point.  Otherwise though I don't stand a chance unless they don't see me, or I fire before they do.  Maybe they want the damage of the guns to be that way and give that much of an advantage to whomever shoots first.  I don't know.  However, there's nothing you can do when someone is at a distance behind you, they shoot at you, the game turns down your sound so you can't hear anything and have no indication of where the bullets are coming from, and then you just die because of the disorientation of only have the sound as an indication of having been shot.   Meaning, again, that the screen is not indicating the hits.

Does that make sense?

Anyone else notice the same thing going on?  Not just dying fast, but that your screen doesn't reflect the hits, and the sound does?

EDIT:  I would liken this issue to one that Black Ops 2 has.  In Black Ops 2, sometimes if you were being shot at by a silenced LMG, it truly was silent.  Completely silent. You could not hear the shots from the gun, you could not hear the bullet impacts on things around you, and you could not hear the impacts on your character.  You screen would simply turn red with each shot and you would die with no sound whatsoever.  In this game it's somewhat the opposite.  You can hear the shots, but your screen just doesn't turn red until the kill shot, and then you only get the one red line as though you had only been shot once. Making it appear as though all the other shots missed and you were insta-killed.  Now, as I have explained in various posts in this thread, do not confuse this with a "lag comp death".  Meaning you die the very second someone looks at you an pulls the trigger.  It's not that. In this scenario you have time to fire back and you see each shot from their gun, but you only the final kill shot registers the damage on you screen giving the illusion that the opposing player is missing you. Unlike a lag comp death, the killcam is quite accurate as to what took place in that situation.   Also, it's nice to see DA players actually missing some shots on a kill cam for a change.  Just throwing that out there.  Back on point.  Same scenario, BUT you win the gunfight. If you win the gunfight in this scenario all of the damage inflicted upon you instantly shows up all at once and not until the opposing player dies. The whole time it appears as though the opposing player was missing, but in reality they almost killed you. Again do not confuse this with a laggy death or a death from a truly one shot kill, or one burst kill, weapon.

• Re: Something I noticed about the quick deaths @A_Trey_U
          LastShadowCOD

You hit it on the head. I don't think the system is reporting the damage to the players. So it appears that you're getting killed quickly when you're actually under fire the whole time.

I also think the system is dropping frames and failing to show you since you're already dead (programmatically speaking). You're dead, or about to be, why show you the whole sequence.

like2nap03

LastShadowCOD wrote:

You hit it on the head. I don't think the system is reporting the damage to the players. So it appears that you're getting killed quickly when you're actually under fire the whole time.

I also think the system is dropping frames and failing to show you since you're already dead (programmatically speaking). You're dead, or about to be, why show you the whole sequence.

You may be right.  The game maybe dropping frames.  At least visually.  The sound part of being shot appears to work, but you have no idea where it's coming from if you don't see the person.  Even if you do you HAVE to fire first or forget about it.  There's no point in wasting the bullets. 

Now that you mention it, I think it is dropping frames in some cases.  That's why when they fire first in a head-to-head gunfight (meaning you see them and attempt to fire back) you don't even get to see all of what happens.  You just see the one shot and you die. 

I'll try to elaborate.

Sometimes you see them shooting, at least a few rounds, but you only get the one hit indicator on your screen and you die.  You do have time to fire back, but to no avail so you might as well just save the ammo if you see them start to shoot first.

Sometimes you see them start to shoot, and then you just die from the first shot. Instantly.  At least on your screen. It's like the game doesn't even visually show them shooting.  THAT part might be the lag comp, but it might also just be missing frames.  Like the game just skipped it as you said. 

And of course the killcam shows a different story...that you also can't rely on if past games are anything to go by.

like2nap03

I wanted to word part of the second paragraph differently but it won't let me edit it.

At first I did think everyone had crazy, dead on aim again because I died so fast.  Then it appeared as though they were missing me because I could see them shooting, but nothing was happening on my screen.  And then I died from one shot, which I thought was lag comp. 

Then I realized the lack of hit indication on my screen. 

Hope that makes sense.

there is a tell-tale sign in the feel of the game when you die, and the lag showes you dying. aka there is a split second moment where your dead, and the game hasnt told you yet. so i will say lagcomp is improved, but not purfect, though a good chunck of it may be normal lag. i never had any shoot at someone for them to shoot me. i have had me hurting someone then my bullets turning to rubber and i die shortly after withotu my screen turning red, in reality the point where i got rubber bullets is when i died.

like2nap03

That sounds more like lag comp.  Do you get more than a single "hit marker" on your screen?  As in does your screen turn red as you're getting shot?  Because what I'm experiencing is my screen is only indicating one hit and I'm dead.  Just one red line on the screen as if I have taken a single shot.  The audio is reflecting that I am being shot before that.  Which makes me think, that in my case at least, lag is not the issue so much as the screen is just not registering that I have been shot. 

like2nap03

Is no one else experiencing this?  Where your screen is only register one hit marker?  And therefore you don't realize that you're being shot. 

Not talking about the lag comp deaths that are becoming more common for me.  In those cases I really do instantly die.  I only see them fire one shot and I die if I see them fire at all.  No not that.  When the game isn't lagging so bad (increasingly rare for me) I can see them fire, but I think they are missing because my screen doesn't turn red until the "kill shot".  Then it's only the one red line.  My screen should gradually fill up with blood as I'm getting shot.  And that NEVER happens.  Even if I win the gunfight, my screen doesn't gradually turn red.  It goes from nothing to full of red (as though I'm just about dead) as soon as the other player dies.  In an instant.   Again the whole time, I don't realize I'm am taking damage during the gunfight. The damage doesn't show until the other player dies and then it just instantly shows the full amount of the damage.  No gradual filling of the screen with blood.  This is VERY confusing at times.

Anyone else noticing this?

like2nap03

Ok good.  I'm not crazy. 

A_Trey_U is this being investigated yet?  I think it's the reason everyone thinks that they are instantly being killed.  Separate from when they actually appear to instantly be killed because of the lag comp.  Maybe not everyone notices.  Took me a little time to figure out what was going on.

Padiego

I think it's a combination of lag and fast killing guns. The MSBS kills in one burst...it shoots extremely fast, you have absolutely zero time to react.

Increase overall health to 110% I die before I even turn red, its ridiculous.

nintendon't

You should work on your reaction time. Whoever sees the other first wins. Indivdual gun skill doesn't matter in this game.

My reaction time is fine, It wasn't a problem in other cod titles. Its not the gunfights I'm talking about, I mean in general, you die instantly. You have no chance to run behind cover, or even turn on a person. Once a person gets the first shot on you, your dead.

WiimotesRus02

My boy is playing his second match right now on the WiiU, and he's getting shot and hit and still getting the kill, so that's your single viewed opinion out the window. Its all about connection and always is. He's hasn't been insta killed yet, he's taking damage before he dies..

like2nap03

WiimotesRus02 wrote:

My boy is playing his second match right now on the WiiU, and he's getting shot and hit and still getting the kill, so that's your single viewed opinion out the window. Its all about connection and always is. He's hasn't been insta killed yet, he's taking damage before he dies..

I'm taking damage, but it's not registering on my screen until the opposing player is dead.  Then it just instantly shows all the damage at once.  There's no gradual filling of the screen. 

@Padiego:  The burst weapons are understandable, but not the SMGs or ARs.  The "lag" deaths are different than this.  I can see the guy shooting, but the screen is not registering the damage.  There are times where I die from the first shot instantly.  THAT's lag, but in this case I can see them shooting multiple shots, but the screen damage only registers the last shot.  Just that shot.  So when I die my screen is not full of blood.  It has one curved red line on it. It makes me think I'm not getting hit when I actually am.  And again, when I win those gunfights, the damage doesn't register until the other player dies. 

this is true, theres also tactical play, which tends to help you get the first shot off, but if you really want to suffer, use akimbo .44magnum+acog. my KD tanked once i started that challange, went from maniacs every other game to lucky to get the dog.

Whatever is the cause its extremely annoying and causing too much confusion and anger. You are dead as soon as you hear gun shots, no time to turn, react whatnot. Well thats what Im getting here. Its hard to be conclusive when you are playing against Lag.

I havent experienced this in other IW COD games. Why there is so much difference in overall performance of the game is puzzling to put it nicely.

I can play a lag filled MWR game and still not encounter the issues that Im having on this one.

It feels to me that this game was thrown together and rushed out in time for release with a long list of issues that will/may be attended to in the near future. I hope so anyway as its just not enjoyable to me

BlackMetroid95

Really? I think the death speed is just right. Realistically (And no, CoD is by no means realistic, but hear me out) you'd die pretty quick by getting shot. This game reminds you that your life is important, and rushing like Rambo on acid isnt gonna get you anywhere. Besides, think of it this way, on a GOOD connection, you can kill someone as fast as they can kill you. Hit and run tactics are good.

Wow...this post sounds super morbid. But you get what i mean.

like2nap03

Well, I think we can rule out lag.  Maybe.  I played a local match against bots.  Same thing happens.  It only registers 1 hit on my screen when I die.  Screen doesn't fill up with red.  Just get the one red line from the "kill shot".  I'm not sure if that's a bug, or if you just die so quick that the game doesn't have time to register the damage on your screen.  Either way, it's very confusing.  It's very hard to tell when you are getting shot before it's too late.