22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 11:16 AM by nintendon't RSS

How do you run a dedicated server on console?

This is my first year of going console gaming on the Wii U. For about a decade I been gaming mainly on PC. On PC I was able to run dedicated servers at home as well as renting it later on. Even tried setting up & running COD4 server at home as well as MW2 with the now defunct 3rd party IWNet (shutdown by Activision). On PC it's easy to set up dedicated servers at home as long as you have good internet connection, know basic networking (port forwarding) & the dedicated server files made available for use by the public. Some games the dedicated server files only made available through rent server hosts so you have to rent.

Until today I assumed this is also the case with console except that the dedicated servers are not made available for public use - you rent a dedicated server for lets say the Wii U through 3rd party, pay the monthly cost depending on the number of server slots you ordered & you're good to go. Looking on some of the dedicated server providers that I used to rent servers before I can only see PC dedicated servers for rent. So I got a couple of noob questions...

1) How do you run a dedicated server on console?

2) Is it going to be mainly an inhouse dedicated server hosting run by Treyarch (developer) or by Activision (publisher)?

3) Can you host a dedicated server using another Wii U or a PC at home?

4) How do you manage server settings on dedicated servers hosted outside (on PC you have server tools like Rcon, Procon, etc.)?

Dedicated servers are coming so I wanna know more about it before it come.

Latest reply: on Nov 11, 2013 11:16 AM by Replies: 22 in GHOSTS WII-U
        • Test #1
          Re: How do you run a dedicated server on console?

Welcome to the Wii U family. How are you enjoying it so far?

I hope something is done about the servers, because I am having issues on this title.

As I game in a mulit-national clan, I am more than used to the usual server problems that crop up.

On many previous CoD titles, playing in the UK with people on the other side of the pond has its challenges.

But it was possible to adapt gameplay style and tactics to compensate.

Last night my server frustrations were different.

On multiple occasions I got dropped from the servers completely, if this happened before, it usually affected the whole group.

But this time the group would carry on playing, leaving me sat in the quiet with none of the stats I had just gained.

My last match was too much. I was on an early roll, double figure kills/ no deaths, rolling out my killstreaks. Best game of Ghosts yet, and......dropped from server!

Not happy.

Its not my end. I always port forward / clean up line use / ip in DMZ / wired connection / etc

Im pretty sure it's the server end, and it is rejecting me for some reason.

I hope it is resolved soon, as it could be a game breaker for me.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 12:05 AM
            • Test #1

I dont think you need the ip in dmz if the port has been forwarded.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 6:52 AM
              • Test #1

Do you have a wired or wireless connection to your router?

The wireless connection from my wii (cod waw, mwr, bo, mw3) was flaky for me

but after connecting via a wire (cable) via the usb network adapter the connection

seemed stable. I am using the same usb network adapter for the wiiu (bo2 and ghosts).

So maybe a wired connection might help.

Furthermore in the past my adsl line to the internet was disconnecting and reconnecting every other minute

but after my isp lowered the up/down stream a bit the adsl line was stabilized.

So maybe double checking that your router/internet line is working probably might help.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 1:21 PM
              • Test #1

Though I have some idea now but I still can't figure this out totally. I guess everyone here is as noob as I am on this. Are console gamers typically clueless on dedicated servers?

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 6:51 AM
                  • Test #1

From a sheer numbers perspective, yes. Vast majority of the console gaming market buys a console rather than gaming PC because they want to play games, not play with hardware. You plug it in, shove in a disk and it just works. Well, unless it's COD Ghosts on a Wii U. Then it sort of works. When it doesn't, we just cry to the devs and pray for a fix.

Not to mention the overwhelming majority of console gamers are younger, less affluent, and less technically skilled (yet).

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 9:21 AM
                  • Test #1

Nobody seems to understand the questions I've raised. I was asking about running a dedicated server on console & you guys seems to talk about PC gaming in comparison to console. Can't really blame gamers here. It's double XP weekend so you probably had too much of gaming you can't read well anymore. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 1:49 PM
                      • Test #1

Well personally I have no idea. Ive never played on a dedi. Im not a tech guy or pc gamer either. What I do know is I had nonstop issues losing conne ction to host, timing out etc when hosting, an d a ton of other errors before switcging to wired and port forwarding. On blops 2 my in game bandwith is 1069kbps, open nat, wii lan network adapter. I also have friends in the 500's and then others in the 3000's. Its seems that from time to time im punished for my connectivity in multi, I have never lost connection to zombies ever since going wired. Never. And ive left the thing on 3+ days pausing to s leep.

Im not sure if our issue is ignorance or merely the fact that most of us never had to worry before we got all these connection issues that needed figuring out. I think a lot of us learned about port forwarding, connection etc in the past year here...

You could always try googling this subject or pm'ing a trey u. Hes usually pretty quick to respond in my experience.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 2:06 PM
                        • Test #1

Who said anything about anything pc related?

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 2:28 PM
                        • Test #1
                          Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 1:58 PM
                          • Test #1

It's really simple. You pay a monthly fee and boom, you have your own server. You can lay down some simple rules, like say..ban all who use aim assist or maybe even make everyone who quickscopes visible on the radar...stuff like that. The servers are located in various places around the world, with locations in Los Angeles, Kansas City, New York, Lima, Buenos Aires, London, Moscow, Perth, and Oxford College. You can access your server settings via an app on your phone or PC. Activision will be hosting the servers. Servers go live April 31st, 2014.

TL;DR: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Source:My imagination.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 2:15 PM
                            • Test #1

1) How do you run a dedicated server on console?

You do not run one yourself. Activision will probably have a farm of servers in the cloud that will be used in the matchmaking

in the background so you won't even be aware of which server is the host. It's just like there's a few extra "players" that will be host (but do not play in the game themself i.e. pure dedicating hosting).

2) Is it going to be mainly an inhouse dedicated server hosting run by Treyarch (developer) or by Activision (publisher)?

Since the server farm could be used for all the platforms ((Infinity Ward made the core cod ghost, Treyarch did the wiiu stuff) I assume that Activision will run the cloud service (or will outsource this to another company).

3) Can you host a dedicated server using another Wii U or a PC at home?

No

4) How do you manage server settings on dedicated servers hosted outside (on PC you have server tools like Rcon, Procon, etc.)?

You can't

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 5:49 PM
                                • Test #1

So right now nobody really knows exactly how this dedicated server on Wii U gonna turn out. If I based it mainly on your answers by the look of it right now it's going to be in-house run probably by Treyarch (I don't think Activision's gonna be doing the management of dedicated servers). Though I asked about dedicated server files made available to the public I really don't think such huge game as Ghosts will have dedicated server files made available for use by gamers instead only by game server rental providers (the last time Activision made available the server files was on COD4 several years ago).

So with your answers you practically killed clanning on the Wii U. Dedicated servers run in-house. The server interface remain the same but instead of P2P (peer-to-peer) it's actually a hybrid dedicated server running. Gamers has no control of it. With no Elite & clan matching on the Wii U it has nothing on clanning.

Last Edited: Nov 10, 2013 7:23 PM
                                • Test #1

No need for a thanks for the info.

You were welcome.

Last Edited: Nov 11, 2013 4:40 AM
                                  • Test #1

I imagine the servers will probably be run by Activsion and will be handled like BO2 PC where there's just regular matchmaking but the games are hosted by the servers instead of players.

Last Edited: Nov 11, 2013 11:16 AM