26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2013 8:28 PM by lewdmouth RSS

Finally got to play.. My take.

nicedrewishfela

So, for the first time in years... I wasn't playing on Release Day. Life has changed, different responsibilities... and I just don't have the time to game as much as I used to. I had pre-ordered months ago, so I got the game on Release Day, but it has just been sitting there teasing me for the past week or so.

I have been keeping up with the Forums, however, and seeing the diverse response. I have seen everything from "Greatest Game Ever" to "The Death of the CoD Series". I usually try not to be swayed, but part of me was really wondering what to expect by the time I popped the disc into my machine Saturday.

To my great pleasure, I am really enjoying the game thus far. I haven't touched anything beyond MP at this point, but I like what I see so far. Played for several hours Saturday and Sunday, and it was good to be back in the COD world, playing with some old friends and getting to know the new game.

Is it perfect? No. By no stretch of the imagination is it perfect... but I can't think of a single title in the series that was. But.. it is CoD. It feels like CoD. It plays like CoD... and darn it.. It is FUN. I think over the years, that is all I want anymore from Call of Duty... I just want it to challenge me, and I just want to have fun playing it.

Did I have issues with the game? Sure, I had a few qualms with the game, and some rage-inducing moments. First off, I really like a majority of the maps. They are larger, lots of flanking routes. But there are some that baffle me. Take Siege, for instance. The map is just a big clutter, and I found it almost forced teams to have to dig in and camp or risk getting picked off from one of the numerous dark corners. It just doesn't flow well for me. There were a few others that I really struggled on, but that one stands out for me. A lot of it, however, I feel was due to the fact I just don't know the maps, and as I get to know them better my experience and ability to strategize will improve. The Spawns are obviously an issue, it did get frustrating at times getting shot in the rear end. As well as I may have been playing, had a lot of streaks ended because of this, even on full teams controlling a spawn and communicating. I had a lot of trouble grasping the new Class Setup and I am not crazy about the Squad Points system; and in typical IW/CoD fashion they don't explain much and leave it to us to decipher how things are supposed to work.

But overall I enjoyed the game. The connections, beyond a few minor lag issues here and there, felt much better than in Black Ops 2, and the hit detection seemed spot on. Movement felt smooth to me, and so far I like the way the guns handle. The new Marksman class is a welcome addition, and I like that there is so much diversity and customization in soldier and class setup. I also like that it allows for diversity in play. I may not much like the campy, slow play style on some maps but I understand there are players who enjoy that, so they should get some say as well. I felt like most of the maps had a good array of tactical possibilities, and I like that they will take me a while to learn, as opposed to BO2 maps which I could pick up on after one play through. I think if I ever get time, Squads or Private matches against the Bots is really going to be necessary to learn the layout and intricacies of each map. Heck, even Core is somewhat playable now... had fun trying and failing miserably at Cranked (Note to self, not a good mode to play if you have no map knowledge!).

Enjoying the game so far. The issues for me are far outweighed by how fun the game itself is. I think it is a game that won't burn us out as quickly as a few previous titles and has a lot of potential to end up being a classic.

• Re: Finally got to play.. My take.
          deamonomic

Glad you finally got to play

djacks400

Very good player review. Unlike most I've read so far since release. No game is ever going to please everybody in every respect. But overall if you enjoy playing it, that's what counts.

Get of my brain OP.

Exactly my thoughts on this game.

Adeeez100

That is a good review, rather in depth considering your lack of time on the game. I quite agree with almost everything you said, the only thing that is really keeping me from the ultimate pleasure is the same niggling issue i have encountered over the last three games, albeit not near as bad. Perhaps i am too picky and expect near to perfection in regards to connection when in reality i know that is far from possible. I just cannot fathom why my experience has taken a decline regarding that since release day and successive patches, could be player count?.

nuttin2say

Great review, nicedrewish. It's good to see a level-headed review.

What's really piqued my interest is that there seems to be a them of "It's fun to play" in the positive reviews. I like that. That reminds me so much of MW1 when the newcomers to the community, and I was one and there were a crapload of newcomers, could not put our finger on what made the game fun ... we just knew it was.

There's some things I read that make me uneasy about this release. But when has there ever been a COD that had some aspect of it that left you feeling uneasy?

nicedrewishfela

Thanks, nuttin'.

I think one of the big attractions to CoD is that it is accessible to everyone. There really is something for everybody to enjoy in these games. Some games really only appeal to a segment of the population... perhaps they are sci-fi or fantasy or a tower defense or simulator... but CoD has elements it seems that relate to a broader, more diverse population.

Because of this, they can't ever make everyone happy. You make the maps smaller... folks who play a slower, more "campy" play style freak out. You make the maps bigger "run and gunners" freak out. It is impossible to strike a balance. I feel, overall, they did a pretty good job of this on here. I am not much of a camper myself (will do so when the situation calls for it), as I am just too impatient, so I like that it offers good flanking and alternative routes. People complain about things they don't like, but they rarely stop to think that others may enjoy it.

epic slides make it fun

lewdmouth

metacritics user ratings pretty much sum up my experience with the game.

Call of Duty: Ghosts for Xbox 360 Reviews - Metacritic

This is what a good Call of Duty looks like

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Xbox 360 Reviews - Metacritic

NoLifeKing32

happens every year, means nothing. I'll look for you online when I get it this weekend drew

lewdmouth

Nope, not every year, just every year they make a bad game. People give bad reviews when something is bad.

NoLifeKing32

lewdmouth wrote:

Nope, not every year, just every year they make a bad game. People give bad reviews when something is bad.

Every year COD gets meta bombed without fail and it means nothing.

deamonomic

so people give bad reviews when something is bad... so CoD has always been bad then...

lewdmouth

deamonomic wrote:

so people give bad reviews when something is bad... so CoD has always been bad then...

Nope. When a game is good, it gets good reviews. See below.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Xbox 360 Reviews - Metacritic

nicedrewishfela

To be fair, the community has changed a LOT since then. A lot of folks base their opinion on what they want... not how the game really is.

I personally would rather hear your opinion than have you post the opinions of others. People trash CoD because for some reason it is the "cool" thing to do. Yet it still has a huge following.. imagine that. I don't much stock in things like that, I decide for myself.

NoLifeKing32

Meta bombing only became a popular thing to do in the last 3 or 4 years, as in, well after COD4. He has no case, ignore him.

lewdmouth

nicedrewishfela wrote:

To be fair, the community has changed a LOT since then. A lot of folks base their opinion on what they want... not how the game really is.

I personally would rather hear your opinion than have you post the opinions of others. People trash CoD because for some reason it is the "cool" thing to do. Yet it still has a huge following.. imagine that. I don't much stock in things like that, I decide for myself.

I think the game has many good things going for it. I enjoy the larger maps. Gives me that feeling of COD4 maps and the slower pace fits my play style. Extinction is fun also. I like how it makes you play the game to level up before you have enough strength to get to new parts of the map.

The guns seem well balanced. Not getting constantly killed by shotguns and quickscopers. BUT, the insta deaths are completely unacceptable and totally destroy the multiplayer experience. Head to head gun fights are not even possible when by the time you see the opposing player, the action of death has already occurred before your game has a chance to register it. It's like everything you see happened a half second before it shows on your screen. I know it's not internet related because the same thing was happening to people on LAN at the reveal events. Throw in a bit of internet latency and all you have is a big mess. When will they learn that the mechanics/game engine/netcode working correctly is the single most important part of playing online.

deamonomic

thats their opinion. My point was that in every CoD game, you have many people who say its the worst. I dont care what one site says. Every cod release you see tons of players come out to claim that the game is terrible, lag comp, hit detection, weapons, maps, play styles, game modes. There have not been any truly new complaints for a long time. There are even groups who hate CoD4. so what if one site says its good? does that site represent the majority of players? no.

nicedrewishfela

People forget that COD4 had issues... big ones too. Didn't mean it was a bad game, just meant there were things that could have been improved upon.

Name me a COD... or any online game for that matter, that hasn't had some issues. I doubt anyone can. The funny thing about COD is, there are few things the entire community agrees on (see any Quickscoping thread lol)

I don't want to hear people tell me what "Everyone" is saying, we can only speak for ourselves. If someone has a legitimate beef, tell us about it. Don't tell me what "everyone" is saying.

One mans rubbish is another mans Treasure.

Each game title is individual and should only be judged on its own merit

If u were learning to ride a new bike and fell off would u never get back on it and blame it on the bike or would u keep getting back up on the saddle until u were the best bike rider u could be?

Now go enjoy the game (games are fun) for what it is! Swear, Camp, run & gun, whatever you're into.. Enjoy!

nicedrewishfela

Sorry you haven't had a good experience.

I am glad I got to play for myself and make up my own mind on this.

squirrelness

I agree with almost everything you said, drewish.  My biggest complain is the spawns.  Horrible.  Earlier tonight (before the great server breakdown, haha) I got spawn killed five times in a row on Prison Break.  Three of the times I spawned and was dead before I had a chance to move.  The other two I was spawned with my back to an enemy who immediately killed me.  And I can't say with a straight face they were spawn trapping because I think these maps are too big to make that happen.  It's just the spawns suck.

Heck, I apologized to a guy earlier tonight because I spawn killed him in the final kill cam.  It makes me feel bad to shoot someone before they ever have a chance to move, but my luck if I don't they'll off me, haha.