22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 5:06 PM by SavageHam RSS

Matchmaking

This is beyond a joke now.

I live in Leeds UK, the third largest city in the country. This is in Yorkshire, a county with a population larger than Scotland. Within 50 miles of here are three other cities that are amongst the top 10 most populous in the UK (Bradford, Manchester & Sheffield). Also I have a very good net connection.

So why, for the love of god, do I ALWAYS get dumped in a lobby where EVERYONE else is from France, Germany or Spain? The only way I get in a UK lobby is if I join a friend who's already in one!

• Re: Matchmaking
          SavageHam

Hey there DJ_Immortal,

I understand your frustration with issues and getting in matches from out of your country. Can you tell me what console you are playing on? Also, what region did you create your account in? Are you playing on a wired or wireless connection? Can you also upload your speed test results from: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

Thanks,

^AJ

Hi Savageham

Im on PS3 & signed up to PSN, cod elite & the cod app in the uk. I'm connected through a wired connection where the ps3 has a static ip, has been put in the DMZ & has port forwarding active.

I'll upload speed test results from my wired connection in the morning (it's 3:30am here & I'm heading to bed (I've been on Ghosts of course!)). But my ipad has just clocked 42.82mb down & 11.46mb up on the wifi. The last time I checked I hit 72mb down & 35mb up during peak time (it's a 120/40 line)

ghosthound

I would have thought that you'd enjoy competing against and beating the continental players...

To be honest the Treyarch Cod's always seems to have a better search for games function than the IW CoD's.

Theoretically you're correct! However the lag is phenomenal, I fire at where they appear to be on my screen only to teleport 10m away then turn & pick me off. I started paying attention when I realised that my score in the French lobbies is around half of that in the uk lobbies (plus the wife told me off for shouting at the tv)

ghosthound

I'm surprised that there's that much lag given the distance [km's wise] between the UK and the rest of Europe. Over here in Australia I play [on the East coast] against players from New Zealand and from Western Australia - there is a bit of lag, but for the most part it is bearable. The UK to France would be like Queensland to Victoria.

FalconR6

UK to France - is like going from Melbourne to Ballarat.  It is a stones throw compared to what us Aussies go through for Matchmaking.

Matchmaking I believe can be influenced through you geolocation - which is determined be your internet carriers servers. For us Aussies on the East Coast --> we all go to Sydney. So for you and me ghost our geolocation is 800 km away. Maccabi understands this stuff much much better than me.

To the OP - your choice of carrier may be important here. Might have better luck with a static IP. Pure speculation on my part. Good luck

Here is my speed test:

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

(quite low today)

And in the interest of dispensing with the usual "its your connection" argument:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/89387877.png

maccabi

DJ_Immortal wrote:

This is beyond a joke now.

I live in Leeds UK, the third largest city in the country. This is in Yorkshire, a county with a population larger than Scotland. Within 50 miles of here are three other cities that are amongst the top 10 most populous in the UK (Bradford, Manchester & Sheffield). Also I have a very good net connection.

So why, for the love of god, do I ALWAYS get dumped in a lobby where EVERYONE else is from France, Germany or Spain? The only way I get in a UK lobby is if I join a friend who's already in one!

you matchmaking issue has nothing to do with the amount of bandwidth you have (sometimes called speed) its solely down to the way the internet and matchmaking works which i'm afraid to say is mostly down to your connection in regards to what isp you use and what playlists you are in -- lower populated playlists means the matchmaking has to search a wider area.

Matchmaking works off off geolocation which is gotten via the ip you have, isps especially in the uk buy bulk blocks of ip numbers wholesale from other isps , as such what tends to happen is the ip isnt registered to YOU its registered to the isp head office or the country it was originally issued too (most wholesale bought old  tiscali ip numbers for example log people in mainland europe)

The simplest solution I can give you is make sure the party leader is someone who know you know matchmakes to uk lobbies more often. But in the grand scheme of things being in a uk lobby to a euro lobby wouldn't really make that much difference bar the voice chat is harder

The following probably sounds very negative, possibly even derogatory, but I had exactly the same issue with MW3 (but not BO2) & got the exact same answers from everyone. So I apologise in advance, but I've done a major face palm when I've seen the responses.

Good theory with regards to my IP geolocation. Unfortunately i've checked & my ip is based at the NTL infrastructure in Leeds, ie 4 miles from me. So that idea is a bust.

I Primarily play domination (which has the second highest number of players behind TDM), so it's not that I'm in a playlist with a small population. So that theory is out of the window.

Falcon mentioned about static IPs, if he'd actually read my second post, he'd have seen that I have the ps3 on a static ip, in the DMZ & have port forwarding set up.

Also you mention that bandwidth doesn't guarantee a good connection. Again I am aware of this & preempted you, go take a look at my pingtest result posted a couple of comments back.

The thing that you all seem to be forgetting is that your net connection does not travel as the crow flys in densely populated areas. So in oz you may be 800miles from the server, but your data gets routed via another data centre & travels 850 miles to get there. In Europe you can be 400 miles from the server, but your data can bounce around several centres & travel 1000 miles.  This is the underlying reason why I do not want to get stuck in continental lobbies.

I am desperate to fix this as the lag is obscene, I see people jump & skip across the screen on almost every game. So why does it continue to put me in continental lobbies when there is very large portion of the uk population & three of the largest data centres within 50 miles of me. There must be a reason! I just want to know what it is so I can fix it!

FalconR6

Hey DJ,

Just to confirm, when I refereed to the possibility of trying out a static IP,  I was referring to your Internet having a static IP - not an individual device. However, given your geolocation is only a few miles away - probably not worth it.

By the way, I had horrid lag in BO2, hence I had to educate myself into what I could possibly do to improve the situation. What it came down to was this: I had my router/modem set up as well as could be, my line was stable, etc, etc. However, the thing that really stood out was being in lobbies where there would be gamers from New Zealand and Western Australia and me - that's a 5-6000 kilometre span as the crow flies. Matchmaking for me is just not tight enough. The best experience I've had was back in MW2 days where I would play in lobbies with gamers only a few hundred kilometres away.

Hi Falcon

Apologies, i misunderstood your meaning!

I Couldn't agree more, MW2 was the last IW game that worked properly for me. Which is a shame as I love the look & feel of ghosts (when it's not lagging).

I would be happy if the matchmaking would just put me in lobbies from the uk to reduce the latency (plus then I'd understand what the rest of the team are saying!)

FalconR6

No worries. I'm looking forward to the dedi roll out. It wont be a magic bullet. But, no more hosts that shouldn't be (not their fault either). No more debate over if host has advantage/disadvantage.  There will still be latency in lobbies, but less   I'm really interested to see how it is implemented and if the matchmaking improves. Being in Australia I do have my reservations - we have only a pinky finger worth of servers compared to say the US. Fingers crossed it works better than the listen servers our consoles are use to. Next gen consoles should also help with data transfer; every little bit helps.

maccabi

DJ_Immortal wrote:

The following probably sounds very negative, possibly even derogatory, but I had exactly the same issue with MW3 (but not BO2) & got the exact same answers from everyone. So I apologise in advance, but I've done a major face palm when I've seen the responses.

Facepalm away, The reason you're getting the same answers is they happen to be correct.

The reason you had the exact same issues on mw 3 is 3arc and iw use different matchmaking algorithms

DJ_Immortal wrote:

Good theory with regards to my IP geolocation. Unfortunately i've checked & my ip is based at the NTL infrastructure in Leeds, ie 4 miles from me. So that idea is a bust.   

Its not a theory thats how matchmaking works, I am very familar with the ins and out of the matchmaking system in fact it was me who highlighted the issue of geolocation in mw3, and had numerous discussions with the devs about the issues then and since.

Straight off and you're not gonna like this I can see exactly what your problem is your on virgin. I dont know what geolocation system you used to check yours but im assuming it was one of the web based things, every geolocation system uses a different method just because one says one thing doesnt mean another will say the same, and some use other means to determine your location past just ip address they measure where on the internet you are (via nodes)

either way your ip address would not be REGISTERED in leeds it would be registered just outside of Southampton which again puts you in the catchment area for euroland lobbies.

DJ_Immortal wrote:

Falcon mentioned about static IPs, if he'd actually read my second post, he'd have seen that I have the ps3 on a static ip, in the DMZ & have port forwarding set up. Also you mention that bandwidth doesn't guarantee a good connection. Again I am aware of this & preempted you, go take a look at my pingtest result posted a couple of comments back.

When you set up your home network you cannot port forward and dmz its a one or the other scenario

With respect doing a pingtest is a pointless exercise when it comes to measuring your ingame performance as the only important number is the ping TO the host/game server , most online pingtests , ping to a server located in a data centre and any result you get is skewed by as mentioned not pinging the game/host and the fact you are eliminating the last mile network of the host (where the majority of ingame latency derives from) - last mile networks are the point at which data enters an isps system to you (and the same the other end)

DJ_Immortal wrote:

The thing that you all seem to be forgetting is that your net connection does not travel as the crow flys in densely populated areas. So in oz you may be 800miles from the server, but your data gets routed via another data centre & travels 850 miles to get there. In Europe you can be 400 miles from the server, but your data can bounce around several centres & travel 1000 miles.  This is the underlying reason why I do not want to get stuck in continental lobbies.

While some of this is correct , when you send a packet it goes through the last mile network then hits the backbone trunks of the internet once out of the lmn the data actually travels basically unhindered as long as dns is upto date and there is no congestion on the main backbone trunks.

Seriously thinking of your net connection in MILES isnt worth the effort especially when dealing with Europe due to the archaic way the uks backbones are set up and especially on cable (in your case) the majority of the times you can get just as good a ping to a European host as a uk one.

DJ_Immortal wrote:

I am desperate to fix this as the lag is obscene, I see people jump & skip across the screen on almost every game. So why does it continue to put me in continental lobbies when there is very large portion of the uk population & three of the largest data centres within 50 miles of me. There must be a reason! I just want to know what it is so I can fix it!

Again and you really are not going to like this answer the main issue you have is your isp and connection it gives you.

Having three data centres near you means nothing .

Best advice you need to speak to your isp find out what the contention ratio is for your line (cable lines are usually shared in the uk so if you are in a high population area you are more likely to expereince bottle necks on traffic. Ask then if they have assigned a static ip to your line if they have see if you can get it changed and explain why. If they have given you a leased ip ask then to release it from your connection and get a new one.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, you're saying that my ISP is the reason I have issues with infinity ward's last two games (but no other online game)? I have very little latency on battlefield, GTA, Assassins creed, fifa or any other COD than ghosts & MW3. But it's my ISP? Im sorry but I just don't buy it!

however in the interest of a well rounded debate, let's assume you are correct, it would seem you are suggesting two possible courses of action: 1. Bin Ghosts, switch to BF4 & never waste another penny on infinity wards releases (might be a bit ott!!!). 2. Switch ISP (more realistic!), so who would you recommend in the uk? They must offer minimum 75mb (for work) bandwidth & be unlimited.

OK, the plot thickens.

THe missus banished me & the ps3 upstairs so she could watch her soapoperas (beats me what's so special about them!). So as I connected the ps3 up to the wifi I prepared to be cannon fodder lagging behind everyone else. However the opposite happened, I've just had the best night on Ghosts ever! Every game I was in with guys (& girls) from North England, i only had one wtf moment (which turned out to be a cracking sniper shot from across the map), very little lag, a positive KDR in every game & getting between 3-4k XP (before match bonus) every game.

So here's a new question: why on wifi (that only runs at 30-40mb down/10mb up, has a slightly higher ping (50-60ms), but still 0 packet loss & jitter under 5ms) does the game run like it's supposed to, but on a wired connection (that is running faster) it runs like a two year old wrote the net code?

II'd say this (granted very unscientific) finding completely decimates the "it's your net" argument once and for all. It's still connected to the same ISP, through the same modem & router, through the same IP, through the same cables, it's the same ps3 & the same game.

My conclusion is that my net is actually too good for the game, as soon as it's given a poorer connection it runs beautifully (And I've gotta say, for all you guys who've not had this lagging/matchmaking issue: you're right! This game is fantastic when it runs correctly!!!)

gambit1969

The "the poorer your net the better the game runs" theory has been floating around here since the days of Black Ops.

When BO came out i was running a 15mb connection and it lagged like a pig all the time, shortly sfter MW3 came out i upgraded to a 100mb fibre line and that lagged like a dead pig.

My ISP was then upgraded again to 150mb and BO2 ran fine until the last few months when i started to lag again,

Now with Ghosts i am getting lag again.

I think the whole matchmaking system is just a lucky dip.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my lag issue is down to my net connection, that is 100% down to the lobbies I'm in. I Probably should have been clearer on that point in my last post.

the interesting point is that on the wifi I got I lobbies around my actual location (not just one, but several (I dropEd out to tweek my squad a few times). What I'm saying is the poorer connection seems to have narrowed the matchmaking search to a reasonable area. Let's be honest 30-40mb is still a reasonable bandwidth & everything else is still quite good (except my ping which is ok), so once I got into these lobbies I was away kicking ass!

this evening I reconnected the wired net connection, & immediately got shoved in a French lobby, so I dropped out & tried again... French lobby. This went on three or four times after this but eventually....Dropped out again & tried again... american lobby! Wtf!!

So disconnected the Ethernet cable, stuck it back on wifi.... Bang: lobby with guys across north England 1st time.

Anyone willing to hazard a guess as to what on earth is happening???

SavageHam

Hey there DJ_Immortal,

I will go ahead and move this thread into discussion as no technical support seem to be needed. If you encounter an issue, don't hesitate to start a thread!

Thanks,

^AJ

So I've asked a specific question regarding the way this game is connecting me to lobbies that are causing my lag issues, then been given an answer that doesn't stand up to imperial evidence or observation. This is clearly an issue with the way the game is matchmaking (as I have proved by switching to wifi). But I don't require technical support??? Are you serious? The fact that I seem to have accidently stumbled onto a work around is just that, a work around. It is not a solution.

Also I should point out that you requested information regarding my connection, which I provided straight away, but you haven't mentioned even having looked at it. Could you please advise what the cause of this issue is so I can correct it.

SavageHam

Salutations DJ_Immortal,

Regrettably, your issue is a matter of preference rather than a need for technical support. I understand completely, wanting to play against local players and have less latency issues, unfortunately there isn't an option in game that would allow you to customize your search options. I read your responses, and can only offer assistance attempting to open up your connection, but it doesn't address your main issue, which is changes to search preferences. I can take your comments as feed back and forward it to the appropriate parties.

Thanks,

^AJ