19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 1:13 PM by Adysin RSS

Game Literally Unplayable After Patch(s)

I don't mean there's crazy stuttering or anything like that that makes it hard to play the game. Actually, on the occasions I've actually gotten to play, it's run pretty smoothly for me. I mean that after the latest update my game will crash a second or two after I get to the main menu. It cashes so hard that my only option is to reboot my computer if I want to get back to my desktop (my computer is still running fine but the game process will not die and the only way I can get back to my desktop and use my primary monitor again is by rebooting my computer).

Now, this isn't the first time I've had this problem. There was an update pushed out on 11/8 that caused the same problem. I scoured the web for a week and found no one else with this problem. I contacted Activision support three times and by the third time we were in agreement that my last and only option was to try a system format. Which I did. And once I got everything back up and running and Ghosts reinstalled, lo and behold the game worked again. This was on 11/16. On 11/19 another update was pushed out and, wouldn't you know it, my game is experiencing the exact same problem as last time. I would like an actual fix this time because I do not want to format my computer for the second time in five days and I certainly don't want to have to format every time there's an update.

• Re: Game Literally Unplayable After Patch(s)

I seem to have to same issues. The game worked perfectly fine for me before the 19 november Patch, but ever since the patch I can't launch the Multiplayer without it freezing up the process.

Just like you, I need to reboot my PC in order to get rid of the process. Formatting your PC won't help, because it used to work just fine for me. Without making any chances the game seems to freeze up in the menu after booting it (after the patch).. So yea, I guess they need to patch the MP again, in order for us to play again.

The Singleplayer on the other hand, has no issues, whatsoever.. I can boot & play the SP without problems.

then your one of the luckt ones... i can't play SP nor MP without it crashing...if i could get my money back i would buy BF4 instead.. but no money alas no BF4...

It helped before, nothing to say it wont help again. I just don't want to take such drastic action. I'd say it's the equivalent of demolishing a backyard tool shed with a nuclear bomb instead of a bulldozer.

I'm not holding my breath that a patch will fix this, at least not without some serious research into the cause. I just can't understand WHY this happens. If I have to format to play I will since I took steps to ensure it wouldn't be as big a pain in the ass as usual. What I really want is for them to acknowledge that this is a serious problem and they're not taking it lightly.

Unlike you, I have issues with both SP and MP.

A friend of mine has exactly the same issue after the 3.3.3 patch.

In his case it's not the CPU / VGA / Memory / HDD / Drivers

because he recently bought a new game PC which did run great, before the update.
                It's not even an option to quit the process during CTRL+ALT+DELETE which is weird.

Even if a PC get stuck on a process you should end it that way.

I hope there will be a fix for you soon guys.

Verify Game Cache Files (GCF)

I see purple checkerboards, weapon or world models are missing, or experience crashes while playing a game - how can I verify that my game files are installed correctly?

Try completing all of the following instructions in the order in which they are presented. Skip any steps that do you apply to you.

Windows Vista, 7, or 8 users

Skip this step and proceed to the next one if you do not use Windows Vista, 7, or 8.

1. Completely exit Steam
                  2. Right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam
                  3. Select "Run as Administrator"
                  4. Launch Steam again and continue to the section of this article titled "Verify integrity of game cache"

Windows XP users

Skip this step and proceed to the next one if you do not use Windows XP

1. Exit Steam
                  2. Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK"
                  3. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
                  4. Right-click and select "Permissions"
                  5. Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".
                  6. Launch Steam against and proceed to the section of this article titled "Verify integrity of game cache"

All operating systems - Verify integrity of game cache

1. Load Steam
                  2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
                  3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
                  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
                  5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Important: One or more files may fail to verify.

This is normal for most Steam games. The files that fail to verify are local configuration files that should not be replaced as part of this process. You can safely ignore this message.

Do not run the verification process while performing other system-intensive processes, such as defragmenting your hard drive or scanning for viruses.

Do not run this process for multiple games at the same time.

Verify Game Cache Files (GCF) - How To's - Knowledge Base - Steam Support

I have to amend something I said earlier. It would appear that my SP works perfectly fine. I didn't test it and assumed that it wouldn't work because the last time this happened both game modes were broken. I can't think of any reason why only one would break this time around.

Wouldn't you know it, another patch and I can't play the game again. Can an IW employee PLEASE address this? :/

Once they fix a few bugs, more appear. They should of thoroughly tested this game before public release...

I found the cause to this on my PC. If I disable Eset Smart Security firewall I can play with no crashes. Enable and it crashes hard and I have to reboot. The patch previous to the latest caused the problem. I am investigating a way to allow Eset to run and not crash the game.

they are doing there very best to F... up the game for all players and all pc"s types just uninstall and move on that's what I did they are gonna do nothing about the lag comp, they just fix little things no one cares about.

I know my English sux

SP and MP are like two entirely different games...SP works with crossfire smoothly and no crashing or freezes & looks great... Yet MP is the totally retarded epileptic half brother with no crossfire support and chucks a spazzed-out fit every turn...

What the mahatma??

Everybody's grandmother knows we get COD for MP only!

I haven't played the single player mission in the last 3 releases! So OK now I'm curious, SP I'll have to suck it and see.

But what the freak are they doing with MP...where's the freakin announcements from the Devs... this is just not on...NOTHING!

SP & MP are shocking for me... Im using AMD's latest GPU, AMD R9280X... Guess this game is poorly optimized all together