31 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2014 10:23 AM by GamebroCrazy RSS

Floating Scope !!!

*Added 12/8/13*

The general consensus is that there should be an option that allows sniper and other scopes that have different mechanics to function identically to the way ACOG scopes function. This necessitates a floating camera and cursor, and a smooth transition between hip-fire camera speed and ADS camera speed.

original post:

Wiimote players need what was called "floating" in Black Ops 2 as a control style for scoped weapons.

The advantage that wiimotes have is the ability to move the cursor anywhere on the screen quickly and accurately; ironically this ability is not available for scopes, an instrument that is suppose to increase accuracy. "Floating" was the only usable scope control style in BO2 for wiimotes. Everything else is either too slow or too difficult to control.

The maps in Ghosts demand long range weapons and wiimotes are noncompetitive in this environment (for a lot of reasons, not just the lack of proper scope controls).

THIS IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE ABILITY TO HAVE FLOATING SCOPES:

During the ADS animation wiimotes are unable to move their camera or cursor. This is an entire half second where a wiimote player's aim is literally locked in place. This is an incredible handicap that makes quick-scoping impossible. The first thing wiimote players generally do with sniper rifles is to attach an ACOG scope. This is not without reason. The ACOG scope grants the player a floating camera and cursor. Scopes need to have a floating camera and cursor all the way through the ADS animation. Essentially scopes should function exactly how regular regular iron-sights function, only with additional zoom. This is the only way to make them work. I don't even desire aim-assist.

In addition to scopes making the wiimote useless, this is the biggest problem with wiimotes and needs to be resolved through experimentation: Two sources of sway creates a Double Pendulum. This makes hitting successive shots at range on small targets incredibly difficult for wiimotes.

• Re: Floating Scope !!!
          AsianSensation97

I agree, with that, sniping with the wii remote should just be like regular ads with extra zoom. Right now sniping is just too awkward, either I move too far and I can't hit the target, or it moves too slowly and I'm dead. Also, the idle sway really needs to go, the fact that you hold a wii remote means idle sway is already present.

Pwnsweet

Scopes/Tracker Sight should just control the same as regular ADS. I don't see why they should feel any different

A_Trey_U?

Is any of this a line item for you guys?

1. Scopes must function like iron sights

2. Double pendulum cursor

These are my biggest concerns in that order.

This topic's received a like and a rating so I'm bumping it again. I'm not the only person who wants some improvements. The issues I have for the wiimote are solvable.

My simple suggestion to fix the double pendulum cursor is to have the game's artificially introduced sway decrease as cursor sensitivity is increased, ultimately disappearing when full cursor sensitivity is reached.

I believe focus reduces sway in this game. I've not yet reached level 30 so I've yet to unlock it. Can anyone advocate that focus improves long range accuracy for the wiimote?

Focus helps immensely in regards to sway.

I like this game a lot, but I'd like it even more if I could use scopes. These maps are huge and sparsely populated.

As everyone above has said scopes should function no differently than any other sight. We need a floating cursor and a camera that smoothly transitions from hip-fire speed to ADS-speed. This game has devolved since BO2 with respect to sniping where we at least had the option of a floating cursor.

It's taken a while to learn the maps. I like most of them. The larger ones can be painful when you're only 6v6. Is there any chance of us getting groundwar, or some option of higher player count? I've had multiple instances on Stonehaven where we're nearly two minutes into the game and I realize I still haven't fired a bullet.

nintendon't

I  thought everyone said sniping was terrible in BO2.....now everyone wants it back. ._.

M4GNUM

I think the sway should be decrease as we do have natural hand movement that adds sway and if you have that plus a lot of sway, it can be hard to control it. When I got the gillie suit, my wrist was always be so damn sore to control the scope and deal with the recoil that chrome barrel adds. There are much funner ways to get a sore wrist. Knowadamean?

There should still be some sway though - I can keep the pointer pretty still, so I think no sway would be unfair.

Why the hell do some of the other scopes act like sniper scopes, though? If I have a marksman rifle with a thermal scope, why does it not work like an acog sight?? I don't get that at all.

Switching to Pointer style has helped a lot - Precision style was way to freaky. But there still needs to be something fixed with sway. No wonder everyone has gone to camping with marksman rifles w/ thermal thinking they are sniping.

I do like Ghosts sniping over BO2 sniping...so kudos to the team on that. Just needs a tiny bit of tweaking is all. I think MW3 was better though...but then again, everything in MW3 was better for me than BO1, BO2, Ghosts...guns/maps/connection/lag...everything. Even if it looked like hell (have you gone back to play it?), it worked. And I'd rather have a game that looks like ****, but runs well any day. Makeup on a pig...doesn't change the fact it's a pig.

The general consensus is that there should be an option that allows sniper and other scopes that have different mechanics to function identically to the way ACOG scopes function. This necessitates a floating camera and cursor, and a smooth transition between hip-fire camera speed and ADS camera speed.

This will be the last time I bump this topic. If any developers are still paying attention, the quote above is the simplest way to describe what I want for wiimote scope controls.

M4GNUM

While I agree that there is the need for some sniper control improvement (mainly sway and the millisecond delay)...I don't think, for snipers, that the scopes should be "exactly like ACOG". To me that's ridiculous because then you have this easily aimed one shot cannon. There needs to be a difference between snipers, marksman rifles, and assault rifles. They shouldn't all behave the same except for damage. I personally don't think snipers should have an ACOG option because then it's not a sniper rifle. You'll have people camping around the map with a seriously high powered rifle, thinking they are sniping when they aren't. Or you have them running  around with a 35 pound sniper rifle and ADS'ing with ACOG. Both of those seems a bit unrealistic of a request. Sniper rifles are supposed to be hard.

BO2 allowed for a control style similar to what I've described; this is completely absent from Ghosts. Even in BO2 with such a control mechanic sniping was incredibly difficult, more so than sniping with dual-analog for sure; it was however rewarding when you got it right.

I feel like the options we've been given in Ghosts simply aren't competitive.

I'm asking for an improved scope control because I don't want to snipe with an ACOG scope. The ACOGs seem most at home on the marksman rifles.

You seem to be suggesting that Treyarch is handicapping wiimote players on purpose. I hope that's not the case.

AsianSensation97

I think since for DA controllers the ads for a thermal sight, tracker sight, and sniper scope behaves similar to regular ads, wii remote should either 1. Have similar ads for sniper scopes, thermal sight, and tracker sight, or 2. DA scoping in should be drastically different too. While I think Treyarch has done a great job balancing the controllers compared to BO2 at release I think some aspects are still not equal such as scoping in.

Pwnsweet

I agree.

The current aiming method for tracker sight, scopes and thermal is incredibly difficult, slow and labored. As a wiimote user I can't use those sights and be competitive.

This is in stark contrast to DA users, who are more competitive with these sights (see DeadEyesHE).

M4GNUM

What I don't get is the thought behind making some of these scopes act the way they do. Was it an oversight for all consoles? Just the Wii U? Makes no sense to me why a small tracer sight behaves like a sniper sight.

Speaking of which...the sway for sniping with Wiimote needs some serious help. Even with focus and a very steady hand, I still sway like crazy. And I don't think you should have to resort to changing sensitivity settings because then you can't be competitive.

AsianSensation97

Yeah after playing around it a bit more the sway is really significant, especially when you add it to your hand movements. Either the cursor if flying across the screen or its so sluggish that I can't hit anyone. I feel like they should do no sway considering wii mote basically has built in sway since you hold it with your hand.

GamebroCrazy

It's 4x worser with ACOG scopes...

I've fiddled with the cursor sensitivity for every call of duty since BO1 and come to the same conclusion each time, that being competitive requires sensitivity to be at its maximum, or at least very close to it. Lowering cursor sensitivity means added input lag, and for fast paced FPS's this isn't acceptable.

The problem with this is that high cursor sensitivity brings the double pendulum effect.

I'd really like to see Treyarch remove sway from wiimotes unannounced, just as an experiment. It would be interesting if DA players notice.

Ryumaou

My guess is the way Infinity Ward programmed the dual rendering on some of the sights forces the gun to stay on a fixed position at the center of the screen.

I have the feeling that TreyArch couldn't just easily change the controls because that would result in such things as dual rendering staying focussed at the middle of the screen even if the weapon moves around the screen in ADS, some kind of performance issues or some unintended side effects like that.

Why is this not patched in?

Fantastic shout!

GamebroCrazy

You know, though this may be a great idea, It could cause a lot of tension to the community. I don't want people saying Wiimotes are OP if this idea was added to are version. As a wiimoter (becoming less of one by the days) myself, this would possibly be unfair for DA's. Now if we could have the float scope back. That's balanced. But, the sights functioning as a normal sight on a Wiimote? that tracker sight would become more like the BO2 Target Finder