19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2013 3:40 AM by like2nap03 RSS

I am looking to buy a headset. Need advice!

So, I want to buy a headset that is supported by the Wii U. Does anyone here use a decent one that is compatible with the Wii U?

• Re: I am looking to buy a headset. Need advice!

Pretty much everything non-usb is a goer:

- Iphone/blackberry/android headsets

- PC headset with 2x 3.5mm plugs (with a two buck adapter)

- Headphones + two buck adapter + two buck microphone (ebay and china, a match made in heaven)

- Dedicated WiiU headset (but why would you?)

I've tried the turtlebeach Wii U headsets and for the money they're crap compared to using a PC headset with the adapter. I use a Gamecom 701 i picked up for cheap, they kill the "official" offerings.

Wii U: Black Ops 2 voice chat solutions - YouTube

nintendon't

Buy an Xbox 360 heaset like the Turtle Beach X12 and use this adapter so you can get voice chat with it on the Wii U:

http://www.amazon.com/Malcom-Distributors-Female-Adapter-Enabled/dp/B003LLEG00/r ef=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385166451&sr=8-6&keywords=3.5mm+to+2.5mm

All the official Wii U stuff is garbage. Stay away.

I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force NLa. Twenty bucks and free shipping from eBay. It works great. Headset sound quality is good and the mic quality is great. You could get this and that and an adapter thingy and blah blah blah, and you'll have more money into it than twenty bucks and prolly won't work any better... or even as well. My ONLY objection is the cord length is just a tiny bit too short if you're playing with ProController or Wiimote 'cause you have to plug into the GamePad. I've been using it for a year (since launch day of WiiU) and it still works and looks like new.

nintendon't

You have no idea what you're talking about "doesn't work as well"...lmao, the NLA only works with games that support sending audio to the gamepad. Xbox headset works with EVERYTHING including stuff like Youtube/Netflix since you're getting audio straight from the system.

Plus the NLA headset is ass too, I tried it a few months ago and it's just so faint, even with BO2 on Super Crunch and max volume on the gamepad it's super low. It's good if you just want voice chat but useless if you want to use sound to  your advantage with stuff like footsteps.

Xbox headsets are pretty cheap now a days too, I got my Turtle Beach X12s for $50 and the adapter was 2 bucks...couldn't be happier lol.

I read a couple user reviews of the NLa that reported the same thing you mention... low volume. I guess the planets aligned for me because I was very satisfied with the volume. It's definitely not going to make my ears bleed, but it's sufficient for hearing footsteps, the direction of a suppressed gun, whatever. Maybe it helps that I don't have anything else going on when I play. No noisy kids or blaring radio or whatever.

Anyway, as you mention, it's all about how what you expect out of a headset and how much you're willing to pay to come close to your expectation. For me, the ability to be semi-wireless (connected to the wireless Gamepad) was a priority.

like2nap03

Every headset that is compatible with Wii U is stereo.  You can do what Nintendon't said and get several different headsets to work, but it's all stereo.   Meaning just left and right speakers playing.  No sense of direction other than left and right.   If you really want some good sound, then you need surround sound headphones and an adapter to make them work.  Which isn't cheap.  If you're fine with stereo, then you can just get whatever, but listen to Nintendon't and get some good stereo headphones along with the adapter that allows you to do voicechat.  If you want some real surround sound then send me a PM and I'll let you know what you need.  No sense in me typing out all that crap unless someone is actually going to use it.   Keeping in mind that I have  been drinking tonight and I may not remember this post.  So it's very possible that I will go like a week without seeing your PM. 

BobbyMcGee

Laughed my ass off at your comment.

barolb

Playing Call of Duty while drunk? Experiences vary. Writing on the forums, with fairly good English and decent sentence structure, while drunk? Hang on, i gotta screen cap this. Further research to occur later in a couple weeks.

like2nap03

barolb wrote:

Playing Call of Duty while drunk? Experiences vary. Writing on the forums, with fairly good English and decent sentence structure, while drunk? Hang on, i gotta screen cap this. Further research to occur later in a couple weeks.

Drinking not drunk.  I tried to avoid posting while drunk this time.  Hence the apparent coherence. 

nintendon't

You mean Left, Right, Front, and behind. Only hearing people above and below you is an issue with stereo but even then after a while your mind/ears start filling in the gaps. Weird to explain. Also as you learn the maps more, it's easy to tell if people are above or below you based on the sound of the surface.

like2nap03

nintendon't wrote:

You mean Left, Right, Front, and behind. Only hearing people above and below you is an issue with stereo but even then after a while your mind/ears start filling in the gaps. Weird to explain. Also as you learn the maps more, it's easy to tell if people are above or below you based on the sound of the surface.

Just left and right.  There is no actual sense of direction in the audio other than left and right.  You just hear them, but it works the same as being above and below you.  Your mind fills the gaps.  For instance if you hear someone coming closer to you, and you don't see them in front of you, then you will know they are behind you.  But there is no sense of direction in the sound other than left and right.   That's simply not possible with PCM 2.0 stereo.  You just learn to adjust.

Even with surround sound you can't tell if they are above or below you unless you do something to make the audio louder, or make it play on specific speakers.  For instance, if I hear someone below me, and I look at the ground, the volume will be a little louder because I'm facing the source and it will be playing on the front speakers.  That let's me know they are below me.  Whereas if I look straight up, and the person is below me, then I will hear them on the rear speakers (because i'm facing away from them) and therefore know that they are below me that way.  If I'm just facing straight, then I just hear the direction that they are moving in with no real sense as to above or below.

Edit:  Well I guess you could say front and back because both speakers play if they are directly in front of you, but it's still just left and right playing at the same time. 

the1andonlyIKY

it seems like you can hear all directions with just stereo, cuz like you said, the audio volume varies depending on their location compared to your direction.

On a sidenote, lately people have been saying that i need to get a better headset haha I like my earbud things cuz theyre light and i dont have anything like a bar between the headphones in my way and i can sit back and lay down. whatever i want. i play on my gamepad up in my bed all the time. i quite enjoy it

BobbyMcGee

i had the cheap nla's. sound was ok, dont get me wrong, but underneath the padding on the ear-pieces there is this cone shaped hard surface that used to dig into my right ear giving me massive headaches. switched to afterglows and was blown away by the sound quality and comfort. they work with all consoles, pc's, devices. i was using them to make phone calls last night on my cellphone and they worked perfectly.

nintendon't

Afterglows are good but they made me feel like a dbag with the lights lol. They'e a bit too bassy too.

BobbyMcGee

there are three audio modes. you can choose between the three when using the usb+gamepad config. Ive just been using the 3.5 to the pad and disabling the chat so nobody cries about the echo, but anyway the lights are off that way as the power is off and theyre powered by the pad. you can also turn the lights off (i believe) or i know you can choose between five colors. i returned them for a new pair because my girls god kids messed with them and got grease in the earpiece (3 year warranty). the new set has rotating earpieces and the pad for the top of your head has been improved with more firm foam, less cover material and better fit. i absolutely love them, wish that trey/infinity had set up usb based audio so i could use them wirelessly, but im hopeful the support will come with future titles.