26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 8:50 AM by Ellixander RSS

    I really wanted to like Ghosts but...

    maccabi

      The more I play this game the more I don't enjoy it. This really gets to me as I loved the game when I was lucky enough to play it early , and as a lot of you know have mad props for IW - Which makes this post even harder but anyways... I think my main issue was early builds of this game had so much locked that my initial view that this was going to be the best CoD to date was well to put it bluntly wrong.

      It has the same rage inducing design features and decisions that made me stop playing mw3 the majority of the time don't find it a fun experience at all .

       

      Visually imo this is the best looking CoD to date, I really like the look of the maps they seem alive and full of life, unfortunately I also detest the majority of the map design . Usually in any cod if i'm playing solo I will skip maybe one of two maps as i don't like playing them. Ghosts I have maybe 4 maps I like playing on the rest imo are horribad, Way too many rooms, corners, levels, pointless sizes full of dead space. I know everyone will disagree on what is a good and bad map in any game and obviously maps are made to cater to everyone, but really ghosts imo has the worst collection of maps in any reelase cod (excluding dlc) to date.

       

      The dog - where do I start with this one, I love the IDEA dog scorestreak  but I hate the avenge feature its got, there is no earthly reason why if I long shot an enemy the dog then beelines across the map to kill me. There is nothing worse than getting a decent string of kills going only to have whats basically the canine version of dead mans hand end it. In fact from now on i'm going to call the dog dead mans paw as thats what it is. But with a range that made dead mans hand seem like it was actually a candy cotton bomb.

       

      Air Scorestreaks,- It's great we have less air based scorestreaks nowadays, what isn't so great is being forced to use support scorestreaks (maw) as the only viable way of taking then down imo a real over sight

       

      Hardcore - Yes this is my slightly biased rant as i am primarily a hardcore player. I stopped playing mw3 mostly as IW completely effed up hardcore when they knee jerked ricochet in. None of the issues that plagued hardcore in mw3 have been fixed or even addressed so obviously we have the same broken ricochet added to ghosts ( along with no new game modes to try ). Team mates can still destroy or kill (in the case of the dog) your scorestreaks and equipment to complete challenges. Tactical nades still reflect back onto you if a team mate is anywhere near the thing when it goes off causing you to die often. Ricochet broke hc , and to date IW still haven't come up with one valid reason or any reason for that matter why its still on.

       

       

      Rewarding objective play is once again removed (a big step backwards)

       

      Spawns once again we have unlimited sprint and once again we have messed up spawns , i really dont understand why they added unlimited sprint again we all know it fugs up the spawn logic on any type of fast paced game mode like kc for example.

       

      guns ect - actually the one thing imo they have gotten spot on all don't have a issue with any of the guns i've used, been shot with yet . Camo challenges on the other hand nope dont like lean kills for camos encourages camping and id happily see these removed or severely reduced and the other camo challenges having the numbers upped to keep the balance.

       

      lag/matchmaking/dedis - playing solo same issue of being placed into mainland european sessions exists, whatever changes were made to matchmaking dont seem to have addressed the lack of regional issues . I personaly dont have an issue playing in european lobbies latency wise the game is smooth for me, I dont like not being able to communicate to my team or understand what they hell they are going on about,. aso does anyone know where the im guessing solo uk centric dedi is located as i sure as heck have never played on it yet.

       

      oh and there's no dinosaurs.

       

      /rant

       

      * disclaimer I reserve the right to come back to this post and completely contradict myself if future updates fix issues

        • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...

          maccabi wrote:

           

          Spawns once again we have unlimited sprint and once again we have messed up spawns , i really dont understand why they added unlimited sprint again we all know it fugs up the spawn logic on any type of fast paced game mode like kc for example.

          I don't think unlimited sprint (Marathon) is any real factor to the spawn issues. Look at MW2: the maps are much smaller than Ghosts and it had some of the best spawning I've seen in CoD. I know the post MW2 IW said they took out Marathon because it messed up the spawn algorithm but honestly... that's an excuse in my opinion since MW3 had just as bad spawns as this game. There is no excuse to the spawn issues in Ghosts considering how large the maps are. None.

           

          If you want to look at the main factor, consider that they are using "revenge spawns" again like from MW3 (they've gone on record to say it was used in MW3; revenge spawns give a high chance to spawn near your killer). No one liked revenge spawns, so I have literally no idea why they brought them back. They just screw up the spawn system even more.

            • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
              maccabi

              Unlimited and fast sprint is a main factor of hooky spawning  its been a known fact in cod for years in fact 3arc have even gone on record (vahn) when explaining why they took it out by saying because it rugged up spawns again so were clear here I am only refering to modes where there is no set bases so things like kc tdm are thr main ones that suffer

                • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                  RunAndGun1

                  maccabi wrote:

                   

                  Unlimited and fast sprint is a main factor of hooky spawning  its been a known fact in cod for years in fact 3arc have even gone on record (vahn) when explaining why they took it out by saying because it rugged up spawns again so were clear here I am only refering to modes where there is no set bases so things like kc tdm are thr main ones that suffer

                  Unlimited sprint may be a factor. Maybe. That's as far as I'll accept that point. Treyarch? Vondarhaar? Those are swear words in my book. Both are responsible for dumbing down COD. Vondarhaar's love of MLG/eSports is the ultimate display of arrogance and stupidity. MLG/eSports make up a microscopic fraction of COD players. I don't trust those players as far as I could throw them.

                   

                  What in the world do spawns have to do with Unlimited Sprint? How are they tied together? One of THE problems with COD from its first inception is its running mechanics. After the initial sprint following your spawn, you are FORCED to run-walk. You "run" three steps, then you're forced to walk. Push down on stick to "run" another three steps, then - AGAIN - you're forced to walk. This HAS to be THE dumbest run cycle in the history of gaming. Yea, if we were fighting a match inside a one room apartment, then sure, I'll accept the "3 steps-walk, 3 steps-walk". But to actually force people to move around a game like that all the time, has always kept COD from making complete sense. Especially now with the larger maps, the running mechanics should be adjusted to accommodate the larger maps.

                  • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                    xlwolfshirt1

                    MW2 had lightweight and marathon as well (not to mention generally smaller maps) and the spawning was still much better, so I don't really buy the whole "movement is a cause of bad spawns" excuse.

                     

                    The problem is that the talented developers left for Respawn, and the remaining ones have no need to make a finished product because Activision knows most people will buy it anyway.

                • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                  vims1990

                  I'm in the same boat about the game and this applies to the people I have partied up with for the last few years. I'm trying to enjoy this game but I can barely last an hour until I have to switch to something else.

                   

                  Alongside spawn and matchmaking issues, the maps are disappointing and the objective system is a step back from previous COD titles. The maps have no flow and as much as I don't mind large maps, the spawns don't make sense and 6 vs 6 is not suitable. Previous COD titles had that map where no one wanted to vote for but in Ghosts, there are so many maps that I can't stand.

                   

                  There are some good things I like about the game but the negatives outweigh the positives which is pushing me away from playing Ghosts. Generally I last around 8 months until I'm done with the game but I'm not sure how long I can last playing Ghosts.

                   

                  Hopefully whatever updates they have in the pipeline improves the game but for now, I'm just not enjoying the game.

                  • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                    TonierPrawn9

                    the gun balance is off, the remington R5 seems too powerful, the camos requirements are too over the top like the new lean feature which i never use even in medal of honor and battlefield 4. or the fact that you dont even know when someone is lagging when we can look to see the connections due to being removed.  i am afraid that we will never get a gun balance like in MW3 where the ACR was the best threw out the games life, as example black ops 2 forced people to learn to use different guns other than the MSMC and made snipers more like snipers.

                    • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                      IndyOldDude

                      Agree with all your points, and I would add, the sniping is ruining the game for me, and many others I speak with,  and IMO has ruined COD in general
                      The overall gun balance is good IMO (sans snipers ) in fact maybe too good, there's 3 or 4 AR's that seem almost identical to me, I am yet to find each ones particular Niche

                      Oh and the panic knifing is a bit much IMO

                        • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                          gotsomestars

                          What about "sniping" is ruining the game exactly?

                            • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                              IndyOldDude

                              gotsomestars wrote:

                               

                              What about "sniping" is ruining the game exactly?

                              well lets see, the 10 foot hit boxes they seem to have
                              On large maps you cant seem to move 2 feet with out getting sniped, then you go to a small map, and its full of quickscopers running around getting their one hit kills altho the crosshairs and hitmarkers are waaay off...
                              Just my opinion, but I think they have ruined the COD series

                                • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                  maccabi

                                  IndyOldDude wrote:

                                   

                                  gotsomestars wrote:

                                   

                                  What about "sniping" is ruining the game exactly?

                                  well lets see, the 10 foot hit boxes they seem to have
                                  On large maps you cant seem to move 2 feet with out getting sniped, then you go to a small map, and its full of quickscopers running around getting their one hit kills altho the crosshairs and hitmarkers are waaay off...
                                  Just my opinion, but I think they have ruined the COD series

                                  honestly don thave an issue with snipers past getting killed by them on stonehaven where they snipe from hidden spots.. which is what i would want to see in a game

                                • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                  RunAndGun1

                                  I would say the combination of sniping and the increase in camping is ruining the game. Snipers by their nature have to camp. Add to that, more people camping. And tadaa! Modern Camping!

                                   

                                  Sniping is also ruining the game because snipers are infesting Kill Confirmed matches. Kill Confirmed is an objective based game. You kill and then grab the tags of your fallen foe. That's the objective. But, thanks to BO2, players are mostly concerned with KDR. A stat that has nothing to do with skill, but everything to do with ego. Snipe on TDM and Domination, and maybe even Search and Destroy. But, sniping on Kill Confirmed, you're just taking advantage of people who are actually playing the objective and going after tags, while your lazy ass is camped in a corner picking people off who are respecting the game mode. Sorry, I could care less about KDR. Objectives make the game interesting and give it longevity. People who ignore yet play on objective based matches are ruining the game for their own satisfaction.

                              • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                matuzz

                                Unfortunately it seems most of the talent left to the Respawn Entertaiment.

                                • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                  NoLifeKing32

                                  Honestly Macc I dont know what you were looking at pre-release that led you to think this was going to be the best COD. I wouldnt even have the game if it wasn't for the Best Buy Canada deal, (trade any game get a copy of Ghosts, BF4, or AC4). I'm glad I only paid a copy of AC1 for it (value $2). When I saw the livestream that announced the exact same killstreak system (assault, support, specialist) I was just like Yep its the same game as MW3. When they debuted the Chasm map I was like wow that looks like a combination of Downturn and Aftermath and thats exactly what it is.

                                   

                                  When they never even mentioned HC prior to release I expected the worst and thats what we got. I've abandoned HC completely, I havent played one game with Ricochet on, and I'm not going to. I've adapted to Core and I'm not having any problems with it...except for one glaring issue that is killing Ghosts. Spawns. For the 3rd straight COD, spawns absolutely suck. The most mystifying thing about spawns is on the two biggest maps, Stonehaven and Siege, I'm constantly spawning next to bad guys. The spawns make those two maps much smaller than they are. You would think those would be sniper maps but not really! Almost all of the action on Stonehaven happens in the village (at least on KC). The only real sniper map is Stormfront right now. If they fix the spawns, Ghosts would be a much better game. I dont think it shares the problems that plagued BO2. Its not too late. I have no faith in IW fixing HC, but I'm holding out hope that some of their spawn fixes actually work.

                                  • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                    ghamorra

                                    I really think they should bump lobby sizes for this game to a standard of 8 or 9. I think that would bring the game to a nice balance between camping and running as you'll have more people keeping the tempo up.

                                     

                                    Spawns I think are more influenced by the fact that maps are so vastly different. The setup of the maps don't support the spawn logic which was added to the game. I haven't ran into massive issues but I can deffinitely see issues.

                                     

                                    This game, I think, is much better connection wise. Haven't had any issues with lag and because of that I'm having way more fun. With some tweaks I can see Ghosts being much better.

                                    • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                      Izjar11

                                      maccabi wrote:

                                       

                                      The dog - where do I start with this one, I love the IDEA dog scorestreak  but I hate the avenge feature its got, there is no earthly reason why if I long shot an enemy the dog then beelines across the map to kill me.

                                       

                                      Air Scorestreaks,- It's great we have less air based scorestreaks nowadays, what isn't so great is being forced to use support scorestreaks (maw) as the only viable way of taking then down imo a real over sight

                                       

                                       

                                      The dog really never bothers me, because its quiet easy to take Riley out when he's rushing at you.

                                       

                                      Your Air scorestreak paragraph is dead on. They took out my loved air support launchers! I mean the panzer looks like it should lock on and it does nothing of the sort. That was not a good move on IW part.

                                       

                                      You spent allot of time with the game producers, why are you now feeling different? I mean is the community doing things that you no longer like as well?

                                      • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                        iHattoriHanzo0

                                        I was prepared to hate Ghosts..... but wound up loving it. Lol....

                                         

                                        Completely respect all your points and opinions though.

                                        • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...

                                          maccabi wrote:

                                           

                                          The dog - where do I start with this one, I love the IDEA dog scorestreak  but I hate the avenge feature its got, there is no earthly reason why if I long shot an enemy the dog then beelines across the map to kill me. There is nothing worse than getting a decent string of kills going only to have whats basically the canine version of dead mans hand end it. In fact from now on i'm going to call the dog dead mans paw as thats what it is. But with a range that made dead mans hand seem like it was actually a candy cotton bomb.

                                           

                                          Spot-f*cking-on. You deserve an award for that comment.

                                          • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...

                                            im in the same boat. im goi.g to try snd tonight, likely rage on these battlefield maps, then quit and play black ops 2, but IW already got my $60.

                                            • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...

                                              maccabi wrote:lag/matchmaking/dedis - playing solo same issue of being placed into mainland european sessions exists, whatever changes were made to matchmaking dont seem to have addressed the lack of regional issues . I personaly dont have an issue playing in european lobbies latency wise the game is smooth for me, I dont like not being able to communicate to my team or understand what they hell they are going on about,.

                                               

                                               

                                              Similar problem here.. I live in Ontario, Canada, Right next those campy French speaking people in Quebec. They're always seems to be lag, lots of lag. And I don't speak French, I can't understand nor care what they are saying. Can never get away from it, every match some one has QC (Quebec) clan tag and their mic on (new mute function is the only thing that helps make this tolerable). Leave the lobby, go to new match, same lobby, same lobby, same lobby, same lobby, same lobby, same lobby. change game mode, more French Canadians. Worse LAG.

                                              • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                                TOLAND

                                                One blast from the Bulldog straight into Riley's face and there is no more puppy.  Makes me kind of feel bad for feeling so good when he keels over!  I love my dog, but all the other dogs are toast!

                                                • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                                  rankismet

                                                  maccabi wrote:

                                                   

                                                  The more I play this game the more I don't enjoy it. This really gets to me as I loved the game when I was lucky enough to play it early , and as a lot of you know have mad props for IW - Which makes this post even harder but anyways... I think my main issue was early builds of this game had so much locked that my initial view that this was going to be the best CoD to date was well to put it bluntly wrong.

                                                  It has the same rage inducing design features and decisions that made me stop playing mw3 the majority of the time don't find it a fun experience at all .

                                                   

                                                  Visually imo this is the best looking CoD to date, I really like the look of the maps they seem alive and full of life, unfortunately I also detest the majority of the map design . Usually in any cod if i'm playing solo I will skip maybe one of two maps as i don't like playing them. Ghosts I have maybe 4 maps I like playing on the rest imo are horribad, Way too many rooms, corners, levels, pointless sizes full of dead space. I know everyone will disagree on what is a good and bad map in any game and obviously maps are made to cater to everyone, but really ghosts imo has the worst collection of maps in any reelase cod (excluding dlc) to date.

                                                   

                                                  The dog - where do I start with this one, I love the IDEA dog scorestreak  but I hate the avenge feature its got, there is no earthly reason why if I long shot an enemy the dog then beelines across the map to kill me. There is nothing worse than getting a decent string of kills going only to have whats basically the canine version of dead mans hand end it. In fact from now on i'm going to call the dog dead mans paw as thats what it is. But with a range that made dead mans hand seem like it was actually a candy cotton bomb.

                                                   

                                                  Air Scorestreaks,- It's great we have less air based scorestreaks nowadays, what isn't so great is being forced to use support scorestreaks (maw) as the only viable way of taking then down imo a real over sight

                                                   

                                                  Hardcore - Yes this is my slightly biased rant as i am primarily a hardcore player. I stopped playing mw3 mostly as IW completely effed up hardcore when they knee jerked ricochet in. None of the issues that plagued hardcore in mw3 have been fixed or even addressed so obviously we have the same broken ricochet added to ghosts ( along with no new game modes to try ). Team mates can still destroy or kill (in the case of the dog) your scorestreaks and equipment to complete challenges. Tactical nades still reflect back onto you if a team mate is anywhere near the thing when it goes off causing you to die often. Ricochet broke hc , and to date IW still haven't come up with one valid reason or any reason for that matter why its still on.

                                                   

                                                   

                                                  Rewarding objective play is once again removed (a big step backwards)

                                                   

                                                  Spawns once again we have unlimited sprint and once again we have messed up spawns , i really dont understand why they added unlimited sprint again we all know it fugs up the spawn logic on any type of fast paced game mode like kc for example.

                                                   

                                                  guns ect - actually the one thing imo they have gotten spot on all don't have a issue with any of the guns i've used, been shot with yet . Camo challenges on the other hand nope dont like lean kills for camos encourages camping and id happily see these removed or severely reduced and the other camo challenges having the numbers upped to keep the balance.

                                                   

                                                  lag/matchmaking/dedis - playing solo same issue of being placed into mainland european sessions exists, whatever changes were made to matchmaking dont seem to have addressed the lack of regional issues . I personaly dont have an issue playing in european lobbies latency wise the game is smooth for me, I dont like not being able to communicate to my team or understand what they hell they are going on about,. aso does anyone know where the im guessing solo uk centric dedi is located as i sure as heck have never played on it yet.

                                                   

                                                  oh and there's no dinosaurs.

                                                   

                                                  /rant

                                                   

                                                  * disclaimer I reserve the right to come back to this post and completely contradict myself if future updates fix issues

                                                   

                                                  Agree with you on the dog.

                                                   

                                                  Air Scorestreaks... very uncommon in my games. And they tend to do very little when they are there.

                                                   

                                                  We agree on HC. 'Nuff said.

                                                   

                                                  Maps... really disagree with you. I like the maps and the way they flow (except for 2). They have a nice mix of sizes and accommodate multiple playstyles. I do have an issue with them... no night maps. I'm sick of middle of the day, brightly lit, maps. There is nothing wrong with a nice, dark, moody night map.

                                                   

                                                  I can't speak to your matchmaking in the UK. For me, COD hasn't played this stable since COD4. Even on the X1 where there are 35-40k peeps max on it.

                                                   

                                                  Guns... I agree. Although I find most of the SMGs to not be as fun as they have been in other titles. And the lean for a camo... it's got to go.

                                                   

                                                  Spawns. They suck and are horrific on Stonehaven. I think it's more to do with "instant action" having been added to the spawn algorithm. Of course, this hasn't been confirmed and is merely my speculation... but it makes sense.

                                                   

                                                  Rewarding objective play. I'm mixed on this. I like seeing scorestreaks having been demphasized. If you don't tie PTFO to increasing your scorstreak... I'm down with that. A boost in XP/points earned would help. Some people simply don't PTFO... just the way it is.

                                                   

                                                  I feel they've made ranking up/prestiging pointless. Soldier's are a neat idea in concept. As is being able to unlock on demand. Neither were executed right.

                                                   

                                                  Best COD ever? No.

                                                  Best COD since COD4? Maybe.

                                                  Better than the last two? Certainly.

                                                    • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...
                                                      vims1990
                                                      Rewarding objective play. I'm mixed on this. I like seeing scorestreaks having been demphasized. If you don't tie PTFO to increasing your scorstreak... I'm down with that. A boost in XP/points earned would help. Some people simply don't PTFO... just the way it is.

                                                       

                                                      The question I ask is why slayers & killwh*res deserve the pointstreaks when they're not trying to play the game mode as it's meant be played?

                                                       

                                                      I'm fine with reduced pointstreak spam but it's a matter of who deserves the scorestreaks. The player making an attempt to collect dog tags or the player who is too afraid to risk collecting it in a game of Kill Confirmed. Why not reward the player with a point towards pointstreaks until the player collects the dog tag?

                                                    • Re: I really wanted to like Ghosts but...

                                                      I disliked black ops 2 but one thing it did better than any othe cod (imo) was the scorestreak idea with objectives being weighted for more points and everything giving little boosts (uav,cuav) but in this game they've taken such a huge step back I'm a bit annoyed, I understand wanting more gun on gun and the streaks do that well but why they decided to not reward objective players for tags, assisting with flags is beyond me

                                                       

                                                      I've hated the matchmaking/ hit detection in the last 3 games but this game touch wood has played brilliantly since release always in uk lobbies whereas blops 2 was like a 24/7eurovision for me so I will say loving that

                                                       

                                                      My biggest bugbear is the operations.I used to check the barracks on previous games and work towards the challenges but having this squad point system and 50 active at a time makes me not want to bother,with so many challenges to choose from and so many perk challenges it just seems a mess not worth the hassle, some may like only working on certain ones but I find it annoying, especially if I get one of the harder ones and its not equipped

                                                       

                                                      minor annoyances are the k.e.m on strikezone from a c.p

                                                       

                                                      would complain about spawns but they're usually terrible on release