1 2 3 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2013 1:44 PM by starbuckfrack RSS

Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...

myevo8you

This alone should show how bad the community received this game. And those numbers are including the Extinction game mode. At the same time I popped in the XBOX One version of the game and ony around 25,000 playing. We have a game that is about 3 weeks old and under 300,000 people playing it. This has been a trend over the past week. When I was playing Black Ops, MW3, and Black Ops2 at this point in it's life cycle there were DOUBLE and sometimes TRIPLE that amount of people playing. I remember one week, just before Thanksgiving last year that the numbers were between 600,000 and over ONE MILLION people playing BO2. I play starting around 8PM EST and would stay on until 3-4 AM EST. almost EVERY NIGHT. Now it is VERY hard to get into games as over half of the people that I normally play with have gave up on Ghosts already and sold it, or have just simply been playing other games. There were nights in the aforementioned games that we would have so many people playing that we could literally split off into 4 groups and take over lobbies and just play amongst ourselves ALL NIGHT.

COD is is getting to the point where people are TIRED of getting promised things will be better, but in the long run the game gets WORSE. If the numbers are this bad, what are they going to be 3 months in, 6 months in?

• 1. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...

Just shows you how poorly developed this game was. Infinity Ward really screwed the pooch on this one, especially coming off of Black Ops 2. They really just didn't give the community what they want in my opinion. I'm sure not everyone feels this way, but numbers don't lie and for this game the numbers are low.

Twitter: @TwoGuysTech

Go check out our review on Ghosts.

• 2. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
            newm8n

not only that but man are these forums boring i go through most of the sub forums and the ot is the most entertaining. i almost miss all those complain threads it gives you something to read, now its just a chore to find something interesting

• 3. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
              Yppecaye_the_Dogged

newm8n wrote:

i almost miss all those complain threads it gives you something to read, now its just a chore to find something interesting

Less people playing = Less complaints.  Not the best way to reduce complaints. 

• 4. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
                highlandsparky

I've not purchased yet as I've been unsure about this title up to now....Firstly, in my local GAME I've never seen so many second hand CoD titles, I've only played 4 games on a mates xbox one a few days ago and wasn't hugely impressed.

Sure 4 games is hardly enough time to judge the title on, but I couldn't be arsed anymore. I spent more time yawning than shooting..It was like doing the 1500 meters repeatedly,  with a gun you got to fire on occasions.

• 5. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
                  deamonomic

I think people over react to things like this. What I dont understand is why many people dont take into account the dozen of other reasons as to why the game population is going down, it is almost always assumed that its because the game is bad, Every CoD release we see similar things and everyone begins the doom sayings. Truth of the matter is that most either have not YET purchased the game, or are saving for other top of the line games or even a new console. Just because less people are playing doesnt = the game being bad, especially when there are other games on par with it. A game franchises fan base will eventually start to decline, its unavoidable,

Has cod really gone down in quality? no. But just like every year this cod release is utter crap... until the next one launches, then this one will be amazing and the next one will be the new all time low.

• 6. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
                    lewdmouth

At least you admit it is utter crap. I agree with that part of your statement. This game brings no enjoyment to anyone. It smells terribly of lazy programming and corner cutting.

• 7. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
                      deamonomic

I think you misunderstood what I posted. I was not actually saying the game was crap. Every year we get a new call of duty. And every year you see the exact same things said about the new game. Every year the game takes a turn for the worse according to some. For example: you calling them lazy. That is a statement that gets leveled at pretty much every developer of any game out there.

Spawns, lag, weapons, maps, glitches and so on, we continue to see the exact same complaints and claims. Another big point is the claim that the game is that you can tell the game is bad because of the number of people playing it at a specific time. everyone always tries to compare it to a past point for a different game saying that the game is dieing. Is it as bad as people make it out to be? no. Perfect example of this is this topic, 230K online. People see that and automatically jump to the conclusion that there are less people playing because the game is terrible. Is this true? not really. Right now there are less people playing over all because of a number of reasons which dont even have to do with the games flaws, such as people not buying it or getting it because they are getting a new console. Last year we did not have a new console launch as such there are less people playing now compared to then.

• 8. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
                        zingaa

I prefer less players, the game runs smoother actually.

• 9. Re: Less than a month old and only 230,000 online...
                          WKMMS

I do think there's some merit in what the OP is saying.  After only a month the game is peaking at levels close to where BO2 was at the end of its cycle.  My first few days online I saw peaks around the 600,000 mark and it does seem unusual that it has dropped so quickly, even with the split over an additional platform.  Some of the problems relate to quality - there are a lot of poor connections, hacked lobbies, curious hit-detection issues, and outrageously poor spawn logic, but many of these could be improved upon with patches. 

However, I think the more significant issue is some of the design choices.  There are a lot of big maps that have no flow, there's only really 1 class of weapons that are worth using because they dominate at all ranges, the assault killstreaks are not great, and the rewards for objective play have been reduced.  All of the recent CoDs have had their issues at the outset, but I think the key issue here is how the design has affected the core experience and it doesn't appeal to a lot of the long-time fans of the series.  I'm still hanging in there but I've only logged about 1/8 of the game time I had on BO2 after the same period since launch last year.

1 2 3 Previous Next