1 2 3 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2013 5:49 PM by Bocheebs RSS

Who's the "Community"?

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I've been on these forums for about a year now (following about a year, begin posting about 8 months ago.)  Wish I had been on earlier with earlier titles because I think it would have broadend my CoD experience and knowledge even more.

That said, throughout the time I've been here, I've noticed people use the words "CoD community" in an attempt to descibe a certain limited set of players instead of all players sharing common overall attributes.  The words are misused so much that for me they have become catchwords for the players they happen to personally dislike for the former's playstyle, preferences and/or complaints.

So, there's nothing wrong with the game, it's the campers. As it is here:

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200806881

Or, the rushers are runing the game, as it is here:

http://community.callofduty.com/message/414780213#414780213

Or, just throw in the kitchen sink and bunch together every complaint with which I personally happen to disagree.  As it is here:

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413927375#413927375

My conclusion is there is no community except all those that play the game, no matter their playstyle, complaints, preferences.  Some of you might have gathered that my playstyle is deliberate, mid-activeness, and control of map flow and spawn.  Once I was killing the same guy who was rushing me out of his spawn over and over, and running into my bullets.  He said to me, after the 3rd or 4th time I killed him, that I was "everything wrong with the CoD communiity, with this game."

Should we start being straigtforward and just express our personal prefereces and admit them to be but personal, idiosyncratic preferences and likes; and stop pretending objectivity by using the word "community"?

I hope I'm being consistent to my point when I say I hope this thread contributes to the community.

• 1. Re: Who's the "Community"?
          Bielsalmighty

The community is everyone on the game.

I must say this community is highly bi-polar. I game almost nightly with awesome folk who I would never have met had I not played CoD and decided to be active on these forums. I've met some other decent folk whilst playing CoD too.

However, I've come across some horrendous trash talking neanderthals, racists, misogynists, abusive ragers, sore losers and general gamer trash. Its very easy to get hung up on the negatives, and I'll be honest the most harmful thing to this game is some of those who play it - they will be the nadir of this series, not any one facet of the game. Eventually, one tires of the rage and indifference and wants some more camaraderie. I forsee Co-op MP taking off in a big way in the next few years.

• 2. Re: Who's the "Community"?
            nicedrewishfela

The community, like most communities... is dysfunctional.

Take your neighborhood, for example...even taking into account that people with similar life-styles, ethnicities, socio-economic backgrounds,etc.  tend to flock to the same neighborhoods. You have your outgoing folks that are always out and about. You have your reserved folks who rarely leave the comfort and safety of their home. You have different religions, and even within the same religions you have differing views. You have conservatives and liberals, folks who listen to Oldies and others who listen to Hip-Hop, the list goes on and on.

The fact is, the community is everyone who plays. And everyone who plays has a different view about what is good and what is bad within that community. Some feel Campers are the worst, others hate those annoying run and gunners. Some love to Quickscope, others think they are a plague. Some hide in corners, others run around like headless chickens. Some care about their stats, others could care less.

That is what the community is. There are some really bright spots... I have played with some of the most fun, interesting people. Folks who really make the game more fun just by their mere presence. Sadly, even more noticeable are the bad apples. Folks who purposely attempt to ruin the experience for others through trolling, TKing, boosting, etc. Folks who abuse the game and hack the code, and even infect others with their nonsense. Folks who verbally abuse others, bully, or blast music unnecessarily over their headsets.. Sadly, as in most communities, the bad seeds are far more noticeable. Don't believe me? Watch your local news tonight... pretty sure you will spend most of that half hour hearing about horrible things... and maybe, if you are lucky, there will be one uplifting story about people helping eachother out.

I firmly believe that the biggest issue in our community right now is a lack of personal responsibility and willingness to accept others. Nobody wants to believe they are the problem... they always want to blame lag, or over-powered weapons, or the developers when they struggle. Most never tries to understand the perspectives of others, or accept that just because they like to rush doesn't mean others don't  have the right to camp(or vice-versa).  And way too many forget that the game needs all kinds of players to make it interesting. Imagine how dull the game would be if EVERYONE camped. Or how mindless it would be if EVERYONE rushed. Or if EVERYONE used the same weapon and class setup. Or if we all voted for the SAME map every time... that would truly make us a dystopian society.

Just like communities in "real-life"...its the mixture that makes it work. Too bad those of us within it fail to see this more often than not.

• 3. Re: Who's the "Community"?
              Izjar11

Everyone is the community, the moment you bought the game and the second you choose to search on how to play better online and found this forum. Some just leave, more stay, some quit allot .

• 4. Re: Who's the "Community"?
                nuttin2say

Yppe, I think the responses so far, are spot on - the community is the collective everyone that plays the game. When we post "the community" as we discuss something negative or something positive, we are talking about majorities. For example, in BO2, he community preferred to use SMGs.

The community can be cited, also, when discussing decisions that have come to affect the game. For example, the idea to create a probation system was discussed "by the community" during the MW3 season. Admittedly, relatively, there were very few members of the community at large that participated in the discussion. But the community, in that situation, was very well represented. A lot of people participated in that discussion and it got quite heated at times. But it was also relatively level-headed (and probably the only reason it was considered by the devs). Well respected forum members who further represented a very wide variety of play-styles, strategies, and tactics participated in the discussion. It was a somewhat republican approach, but at the end of the day I think everyone involved would agree that "the community" was involved with the discussion.

I think where the community often errs is when we support our arguments with "the community says" or believes, etc. We're better off prefacing such arguments with "I believe" instead of "the community thinks." There are a couple of reasons for this. First of all, individually, it is hard to know for certain what they community believes. If there is overwhelming evidence, I think saying "the community," sure. But, secondly, before using that line, we need to be absolutely certain we are looking objectively at what "the community" thinks. I love the way Foxhound often explains that gaming is a passionate sport and, therefore, is going to include passionate conversation. Or something like that. He's right. But too often we focus on our singular experiences playing the game instead of the larger picture of the community.

Finally, don't forget there are sub-communities within the overall community. I.e., the sniper community, the run & gun community, the camper community, etc.

• 5. Re: Who's the "Community"?
                  deamonomic

everyone likes to think that their view of things is the correct way and as such how the community at large thinks. People talking about the community is just another way of someone trying to say that most agree with them for whatever reason.

• 6. Re: Who's the "Community"?
                    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

nicedrewishfela wrote:

The community, like most communities... is dysfunctional.

The fact is, the community is everyone who plays. And everyone who plays has a different view about what is good and what is bad within that community. Some feel Campers are the worst, others hate those annoying run and gunners. Some love to Quickscope, others think they are a plague. Some hide in corners, others run around like headless chickens. Some care about their stats, others could care less.

Great post first of all.

Yes, all those with these different like and dislikes about the game are part of the community.  To me diversity is not a bad thing.  Different playstyles and preferences make the game more interesting.  If everyone only rushed, or only camped, it would be not as dynamic a game as if everyone mixed it up a bit.

Sadly, even more noticeable are the bad apples. Folks who purposely attempt to ruin the experience for others through trolling, TKing, boosting, etc. Folks who abuse the game and hack the code, and even infect others with their nonsense. Folks who verbally abuse others, bully, or blast music unnecessarily over their headsets.. Sadly, as in most communities, the bad seeds are far more noticeable.

These folks, IMO, are not part of the community.  Thieves and cheats are prosecuted and sent to prison to exclude them from the society; so too should cheats and hacks be excluded from the CoD community.

I firmly believe that the biggest issue in our community right now is a lack of personal responsibility and willingness to accept others.

I get flack from people here sometimes when I compare sportsmanship to gaming etiquette.  I played various sports up and through college.  The teammates, as well as the opponents, who got the most respect because not only did they demonstrate skill, but also their sportsmanship.  If a CoD player had the sportsman's humility, he wouldn't talk trash when he beat a team and know that there are lessons to be learned from a loss; if he had the competitiveness, he would not quit a game or lobby/map shop to up the odds of winning; if he had the sportsman's integrity, he would not cheat or boost; and if he had the honor, he would not complain about and blame his own failure on every weapon, playstyle, perk, etc.

• 7. Re: Who's the "Community"?
                      Foxhound-Pro

*watches thread intently*

• 8. Re: Who's the "Community"?
                        Megadog14

*watches Foxhound intently*

O_O

• 9. Re: Who's the "Community"?
                          TL_Bare_B_V2

I am the community

You are the community

We are the community

We are all that is right and all that is wrong.

Whilst we may have different views or opinions we all play CoD and are therefore all a part of the community.

1 2 3 Previous Next