33 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2014 3:26 AM by obzi RSS

Let's get serious: Snipers need adjusting! (IW Snipers)

footballrule

Honestly, i'm not one to complain. Sure, Black Ops 2 was horrible. Tactical insertion and sniping took that game over big time. (Ground War experience) but here we are with another new COD game that we will play throughtout the year. COD Ghosts snipers. I didn't think sniping could get any easier than it was in BO2, but it did.

COD Ghosts snipers are all one hit kills from anywhere on the body. The USR and the L115 are the main used in the game and they suffer no penalty. They can make such quick follow up shots with ease. The DSR in BO2 was nerfed to slow down the rate of fire, and it was a very much needed nerf. This is the very same nerf needed to the bolt action rifles in Ghosts.

The bullet damage is higher in Ghosts than in any previous COD game, The problem here is that snipers DONT miss! The hit detection of the bullet, regardless of where it hits your chracter, kills you. I've seen many killcams where i'm shot in the arm, leg, and even the foot and still dropped when I was at FULL health! The gun descriptions are wrong.

Bottom line, either reduce the rate of fire, or reduce the ADS time. Why can a sniper pull up his scope faster than I can ADS an assault rifle or SMG? They outgun everything at all ranges, even close range, which defeats the whole purpose of them carrying a sidearm for close range engagements!

• Re: Let's get serious: Snipers need adjusting! (IW Snipers)
          riksterinto

The snipers in this game are fine the way they are.  It's not as easy sniping as it was in BO2 or MW3.

1. The snipers in this game have the same rate of fire as in BO2.
          2. It takes a sniper twice as long to ADS as it does to ADS an SMG or AR with quickdraw.
          3. Don't trust what you see in kill cams.
          4. They are not one hit kills to the lower legs or arms.  If you have ever used one, you would know this.

If you are going to start a discussion on this it's best not to make things up when trying to make your case.

captain_howdy69

Regardless of whether the killcam's are accurate or not, a sniper should NEVER be able to out shoot an assault rifle, SMG, shotgun, pistol or LMG at close range.
              If they need to do anything to the sniper rifle's, they need to find a way to make people use them properly instead of running around jumping up and down like they've got some small light SMG or something.

Oh ok so running around jumping with a SMG is ok?

deamonomic

captain_howdy69 wrote:

Regardless of whether the killcam's are accurate or not, a sniper should NEVER be able to out shoot an assault rifle, SMG, shotgun, pistol or LMG at close range.
                    If they need to do anything to the sniper rifle's, they need to find a way to make people use them properly instead of running around jumping up and down like they've got some small light SMG or something.

this kind of thinking is whats killing the game for many. the notion that weapon class should auto win specific scenarios regardless of individual skill. thats not what cod is. Infact thats not what most video games these days are. In most games if you can fine a way to dominate with whatever weapon then that means you are doing something right.

Make them use snipers properly? define properly in a VIDEO GAME. In a video game properly is defined as how it is intended to be used by those who created the game. and guess what... they are using them as intended.

A sniper is a powerful one hit weapon, so if they manage to land their shot why oh why should they not win out? the SMG and AR, shot gun, pistol and LMG guys still have their own advantages. if you die to a sniper its either because you got outplayed or you failed on some point. You failed to notice them, you failed to react fast enough, you failed to land enough shots and so on. Its on you that you died not the game or the enemies weapon choice. the sooner this community starts accepting that they are to blame the sooner the call of duty series will start being called crap by everyone.

captain_howdy69

If you think people die to douche-bag quickscopers simply because they got "outplayed" or lack the skill to take them out first, you are either in denial, completely delusional or just simply ignorant to the way snipers have been in CoD for years. If you truly believe that, just go to youtube and do a search for something along the lines of "cod ghosts quickscoping" and I'm sure you'll find thousands of videos showing this crap in action. Raising and firing the rifle in the blink of an eye at a distance that is almost closer than the rifle barrel is long, landing shots when the crosshairs are obviously miles off of the target etc. The only people that ever defend this rubbish are the ones that do it and they always spout the same crap "A sniper is a powerful one hit weapon, so if they manage to land their shot why oh why should they not win out? the SMG and AR, shot gun, pistol and LMG guys still have their own advantages. if you die to a sniper its either because you got outplayed or you failed on some point. You failed to notice them, you failed to react fast enough, you failed to land enough shots and so on. Its on you that you died not the game or the enemies weapon choice."
                        It's, unfortunately, turning snipers into the "twilight" of video games. It has taken something awesome and turned it into a joke and, the worse thing is, there's generations of gamers (or horror film fans) coming along not knowing any better and will grow up thinking that that is how a sniper rifle (or sparkly disco ball vampire) is meant to be.
                        There's a good reason the whole internet let out a collective sigh of relief when they said there's no quickscoping in Call of Duty Ghosts which, of course, was a lie just to get people to come back. It's not the first time they've pulled a fast one on us, and it won't be the last. Anybody remember the "No more last stand" debacle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6YAkrZO2c
                        Also, where are the dedicated servers? Another lie perhaps?

A sniper rifle is a long range weapon that is all but useless at close range. Snipers should not be able to get kills with their sniper rifle at close range anymore than a shotgun should be able to get a kill from the other side of the map. Most other games have this little thing they like to call weapon balance where there is no one class of weapon that is super powerful at all ranges and in all scenarios.
                        I'm not saying the game needs to be super realistic or anything because that would be no fun either but there has to be a line drawn somewhere and if it's set on Earth, with real, non-cybernetically enhanced human beings, using real weapons in a relatively current setting, then quickscoping should not happen. If it happened in something like Halo, where you play as a super cyborg with enhanced reflexes, strength, senses and literally have your sights linked to your firmware, I could accept it. But not even Halo has quickscoping. Some people are extremely good with a sniper rifle, but that's a far cry from what we see happening in CoD.
                        And for the record, I don't really see a lot of quickscopers in hardcore, which is the reason I've pretty much only played hardcore since Black Ops 1. They tend to mostly stick to core or regular as it's called now. Why is that I wonder?

WKMMS

captain_howdy69 wrote:

If you think people die to douche-bag quickscopers simply because they got "outplayed" or lack the skill to take them out first, you are either in denial, completely delusional or just simply ignorant to the way snipers have been in CoD for years. If you truly believe that, just go to youtube and do a search for something along the lines of "cod ghosts quickscoping" and I'm sure you'll find thousands of videos showing this crap in action. Raising and firing the rifle in the blink of an eye at a distance that is almost closer than the rifle barrel is long, landing shots when the crosshairs are obviously miles off of the target etc. The only people that ever defend this rubbish are the ones that do it and they always spout the same crap "A sniper is a powerful one hit weapon, so if they manage to land their shot why oh why should they not win out? the SMG and AR, shot gun, pistol and LMG guys still have their own advantages. if you die to a sniper its either because you got outplayed or you failed on some point. You failed to notice them, you failed to react fast enough, you failed to land enough shots and so on. Its on you that you died not the game or the enemies weapon choice."
                            It's, unfortunately, turning snipers into the "twilight" of video games. It has taken something awesome and turned it into a joke and, the worse thing is, there's generations of gamers (or horror film fans) coming along not knowing any better and will grow up thinking that that is how a sniper rifle (or sparkly disco ball vampire) is meant to be.

Firstly, calling someone a douche-bag because they quickscope is quite immature and pathetic - Grow up kid.

Secondly - math lesson - The fastest you can be killed by a quickscope is 0.3 seconds.  The fastest TTK of every single AR, LMG, SMG, and Shotgun in the game is quicker than this, so in order to lose out in a 1v1 up close to a quickscoper some other factor has to contribute to the outcome.  That could be that the quickscoper surprises you, or you miss your shot or that they have better reaction time on that occasion, or you were running around like a headless chicken. 

Judging the accuracy of the shot via kill cam is silly too.  Kill cams are not always accurate, or should I believe that every AR in the game is a OHK to the toe or that the bullets can follow me around corners like many of the killcams I see.  What you see in the killcam is not always what the other player sees on their screen. Do you know that the player model you see on your screen has an invisible hit-box that follows them around and when there is any latency in the game those go out of sync?  This is the No 1 reason why we get WTF killcams. 

Quickscoping in Ghosts is much more challenging than in any game previously, with the possible exception of Black Ops, simply because the other guns are so much more effective at close range, and that's fine and how it should be, but if you don't use those weapons properly then you put yourself at much higher risk of being quickscoped up close

SitRepPro

How can a sniper rifle outshoot an SMG at close range given their low rate of fire, slow ADS times and movement penalties exactly?  You will occasionally get weapons that are being used out of their intended ranges to one that is more accustomed to but this is not limited to sniper rifles.  I used to snipe people with the AN94 in BO2.  The sniper rifles are fine and they made it easier for players with limited proficiency of marksmanship with ARs and SMGs to beat snipers by bringing back ADS delay.  They also only get a 20% decrease in ADS time with Quickdraw despite costing the same number of points than users of ARs and SMGs.

xXMJIOLNIRXx

Maybe they had Chrome Lined attached and never noticed it, or he got shot just above where the bullet wouldn't be a one shot kill. I like sniping in Ghosts, I play old-fashioned sniping, but to see players run around with speed perks and a sniper really hurts what it really means to snipe.

If you realy think sniping is that easy and overpowered, you should start sniping yourseself.

It happens more then once I lose the firefight, even on long range. A sniper has 1 acuarate shot, while a assault has a rather acurate spray which is deadly. If such a spray hit you as sniper, your rifle bumps up from the hit what most likely make you mis.

Especially in hardcore mode!

btjustice

sniping is easy in this game, the maps are designed just for snipers.  i can almost hear the map designers shouting 360 as they design them.lol

you can tell its easy by how many snipers you see in every game. if it was hard then most people would not use them. even i use them now.

whats the point in using a sub when the sniper will beat you at all distances, plus i am convinced the hit detection box is bigger when using one.  some of the kills i get with them are shamefull. i have to wash my hands after using a sniper rifle lol.

admit it they are very easy to use. i mostly play tdm but i know my kd ratio with a sniper is over two.

i know there are a hell of a lot better ratio than that with snipers. i dont even like using them but why would i put my self at a disadvantage.

if some one like me can get over two then a good player will get a lot more.

i watched a guy with a shotgun on stonehaven i think its called. he was running about trying to get behind people. now that guy had a gun that was hard on a big open map.

SitRepPro

There are more snipers in this game because the maps have longer sight lines that are long enough to justify their usage unlike in MW3 where the MK14 was the best 'sniper'.  Perhaps people are bored of ARs and SMGs for once.  In MW3 there was no need to use any other weapon besides an SMG or an AR.  If someone is using a sniper rifle in MW3 they aren't running an optimal setup, especially if they are running Quickdraw ahead of Assassin as they will won't have a fully beneficial tier 3 perk unless they used my name sake but that only applies to it since it was buffed..

Stonehaven isn't THAT hard to use a shotgun on.  Just stay alive and patrol the centre once you're in there.  He might have used a Box of Guns as a streak and not equipped it from the start as I use it myself.

You cite that sniper rifles aren't hard to use.  Name me the hard guns to use in the game.  I'd be interested to know.

TourettesGuy03

Coming from somebody who used the L115 for his first 2k kills (while the ghillie was glitched), sniping in this game works as it should. I haven't touched it since I got the ghillie because I felt I was putting myself at a disadvantage over every assault rifle and LMG.  If you're going to call out people using a sniper rifle, than you should at least get your facts, and maybe even experience, straight.  Yes, shooting somebody who doesn't see you from a distance is easy. Getting that one shot while you're being sprayed at by a gun that takes 1-2 more bullets (that fire in literally fraction of a second compared to the sniper rifles) isn't so easy.

Whats next? Everybody starts using Marksman Rifles and you complain because they don't recoil enough, though they take multiple hits? Or maybe SMGs should get scopes and be the only sniper option?

Stop being ridiculous.

Stop whining because you're outplayed.

footballrule

That's where you're wrong. Im not talking about people killing me from a distance. It's quickscoping and how fast they can pull up their scope in close range. It shouldn't be that fast, or at least nerf the fire rate because follow up shots are just too quick!

xXMJIOLNIRXx

Yes. Players are either lazy, unprepared or just ignorant. A lot of players complain because they got killed by a sniper at long range, but don't want to find out a way to take him out or haven't got a class to outplay the sniper. Or they completely ignore the sniper and go there again only to be killed by the Sniper who is doing what the weapon was intended to do. These players annoy me because they demand something to solve the problem for them. Maybe there should be a tutorial  before going into multiplayer (can be skipped) on how to take out certain enemies and how to approach a situation. Teaching the player tactics on how to flank, take out snipers, destroy sentry guns, all that stuff which will prepare these players, as well as all players, for these certain situations which the player would know how to deal with.

This would lead to a much smarter community, who wouldn't complain about something because they were prepared.

Obviously you don't use snipers enough. I don't have time for a long reply so please do this; go and use the sniper, any of your choosing, play tdm only and don't make another post until you have over a 1.3 kd and are getting at least 15 kills a game. You will get so frustrated and come to realize that sniping in this game you are at a disadvantage. Until then no more QQ posts about sniping

To the o.p.

Would you like me to make a video with a sniper rifle and put it up?You have to be sharp and if you miss-you die,Its as simple as that,if you think its easy and cheap I can bet that you are confused.

There is no pleasing some people.Ever

A Niche weapon isn't OP. Annoying yes. Great in the hands of accurate players yes and it should be, autos kill instantly though so no point in using snipers, unless going for a challenge or while playing defenislvey on one of the big and open maps.

They should add an express playlist with all the smaller maps and maps closed down in size, *similar to what battlefield had (not that I play that game). Might make the game actually fun to play.

This game might as well be renamed in AK-12 Amplify ftw. The pop-shot is silly and should be patched so that you generally need to move the scope once fully adsed, similar to the blops1 1.4 patch, so that it doesn’t limit fast sniping & limits Qsing instantly, but hey they make too much $$ off it, so that’s a big NO.

Btw the MSBS is the anti-QS one-hit burst gun I would use against a team of Qsers.

Lucent76

Sniping has been shockingly OP in every COD I have played with the notable exception of the highly regarded  Black Ops 1.

It was interesting to note on the IGN Ghost review how they said quick scoping was hated.

It was also interesting to see the clip on youtube where they developer strongly hinted (lied through his teeth) that quick

scoping was no longer in the game got a lot more likes then dislikes by about 10 to 1.

Quick scoping is hands down the biggest problem with this franchise.

zingaa

footballrule wrote:

Honestly, i'm not one to complain. Sure, Black Ops 2 was horrible.

Quote of the year

I do think it's unfair that you shoot a USR guy and he only has to go half way into an ADS before you are dead.

Divide the USR's ADS time by half and you get it's TTK. Die in 0.2 seconds. Just ridiculous. I can only imagine how broken it is with quickdraw.

The USR is the only OP sniper and it's ADS time needs to be adjusted and slowed.

Bigreendude

I wish people would just play the game and just accept the bs that comes with it. Just because you had a  bad game doesnt mean you need to come here and complain about stuff.

LVLikeG

Personally, I feel that the sniping in this game is fine the way it is.  An smg or shotgun has a massive advantage over a sniper at close range.  I know it might be frustrating the few times a sniper gets a no scope or quickscope at close range, but that situation surely doesn't occur the majority of the time.  The sniper is already difficult to do well with (especially in objective modes).  If its close range ability were nerfed no one would use it. 

obzi

OP.  If your going to come on here to make a point you need to make sure your facts are 100% solid or you destroy any credibility you had, you just end up making yourself look stupid.

You lost instantly all credibility by using killcams as evidence alone never mind the rest of it.

On top of that I should add that if you think snipers never miss you clearly haven't watched me trying to use one.