21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2014 11:53 PM by dtuchpunk RSS

Be Careful

Zombie-Hell-Fire

When driving in front of a Mobile/Cell phone store. You may get hit from someone on her phone by backing up out of a parking space. That happened to me earlier and I'm actually thinking of reporting this just to get back at the lady and teach her a lesson, that and to fix my car. What you think?

• Re: Be Careful
          Bubbakush

if she hit you why wouldn't you report it? especially if she was on the phone even if you cut her off "not saying you did" shes still at fault for being on the phone while driving at least that's how it works where i live.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

Yeah I should. I just don't like going through this kind of stuff especially because it will be on my record and might increase my insurance. That's what I've heard.

"I didn't cut her off". I was waiting for someone else to back up out of their parking space when she backed up and hit me. Then she said I didn't do that. I'm like what the F you mean you didn't? I guess she was talking to her man because he showed up within a few minutes (at least it felt like that). . She refused to give me her insurance info so I called the cops. They said they couldn't give a report on it because it was private property.

Anyway she finally gave me the paper and I got her info.

Bubbakush

like i said i didn't say you did. i was just saying even if you did her being on the phone basically negates you being at fault unless you like ran a red or a stop sign or hit her while she was parked. as for raising your rates it will no matter who's at fault the only good thing is her insurance has to pay for your fixes so her rates will get hit more than yours will. as for the privet property thing that sounds like lazy cops to me because i believe no matter what if your in a accident if the other party asks for you insurance and you refuse then leave or even just refusing that could be considered a hit and run i could be wrong though took drivers ed a eternity ago. 

Zombie-Hell-Fire

Here they don't make reports if it's on private property although they came out but since she seen me on the phone with the cops she decided to give me the paper. When they showed up they made sure I had the correct info then we all left.

Bubbakush

remind me never to get in a accident in a parking lot where you live then. that just seems like a bad joke seeing as a majority of accidents happen in parking lots. at least she figured out you weren't some new driver or a push over and now she has to pay for your repair bill.

Actually if it was in a parking lot, it's pretty common that cops can't do anything. As retarded as it is, I've seen it in several states.

Shadowelite555

You're right, gotta be careful, especially now that it's snowing (where i live anyway). Sorry that happened to you, I wish you luck.

BamBoozeLLed

Im careful as long as I am around other humans.

dtuchpunk

You could skip the on the phone part. Because it was a woman.

so that was the stereotype joke

You should have made a report. Best way to learn for the people who use a phone when driving.

A lesson hard served does more impact.

If you were told by the cops that they couldn't do anything because it was on private property, then the best you can do is file a claim with your insurance company. Issue with that is they will probably need a police report to prove it was an accident and who was at fault. If there were no witnesses, you better hope there is security cameras that caught it. Otherwise, you'll be hard pressed to get a favorable verdict. It'll turn into a he said/she said situation.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

I can't believe it so I called the insurance company because I haven't heard from them and the estimator said I should get a call from them after he came out and took pictures. Well any way I called them and I was told they couldn't reach her so I would have to pay out of my own pocket for this if she doesn't reach them and accept responsibility. Load of crap 

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

If you only have liability insurance and she had no insurance, you'll outta luck insurance wise.  In general, unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't trust your nor her insurance company any farther than you can throw them.

But you can take her to small claims court.  I'm sure you've seen some court show on TV.  Evidence you should have.  Vid is best evidence; pics of the scene and damage on your care;  police report; write down right now the conversation you had with her after the accident; draw out the accident scene on a poster; tell the truth sincerely and calmly.

About pics:  if you didn't take pics at the scene and time of the accident, then just go back to and park your car at the exact location where you were hit.  Take the pic from the perspective of you and the woman.  This, along with your posters should do the trick.

You can try contracting her and work it out informally.  The best solution but the hardest one.  If she's being a jerk, the above is your only options.  If she's cool, then you might just get her to compensate you.  Avoiding insurance companies and the police help both sides with premiums.  Also, if she's uninsured, it helps her avoid getting her license suspended (here in CA.)  The suspended license thing can help you leverage against her.

iHattoriHanzo0

Yeah man. thats serious stuff. She needs to be taught a lesson. Who knows, you might actually be saving here life someday. Phone use and driving is a real serious topic.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

So her insurance company finally sent me a check for the damages and I went to a repair shop they estimated the same(a dollar off). I hope that lady learned her lesson but it feels like I'm the one that got the worse part of it. Going through the process will teach me to look out in parking lots more for careless drivers on their phone especially in front of a phone store lol . Thanks for the lucks.

Shadowelite555

After seeing this thread awhile ago, I notice how many people have there phone out while driving. I thought drivers ed taught safe driving. But that last part about being in front of the phone store is hands down funny, and sad. Good to see ya finally getting some resolution to the accident.

Izjar11

Zombie-Hell-Fire wrote:

When driving in front of a Mobile/Cell phone store. You may get hit from someone on her phone by backing up out of a parking space. That happened to me earlier and I'm actually thinking of reporting this just to get back at the lady and teach her a lesson, that and to fix my car. What you think?

next time pay attention