26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 12:49 PM by boybad RSS

Winter's Howl - Weak?

Davelo07

Is this wonder weapon any good? Just had my first play through with it on Verruckt and I'm kind of disappointed. Unless my technique was off, it doesn't seem like a very powerful weapon.

To be fair, I didn't get it til round 18 but firing 3 shots into a hoard at this stage was only killing about half/two thirds  of the zombies. Went back to ray gun for effectiveness and tried again at 25. 4/5 shots would only kill about one third of a hoard. Tried it on one zombie and it took 5 shots to kill one zombie. Is there a certain technique to this weapon (firing a clip quickly, staggering/timing your shots) or is it just not very powerful until you pack-a-punch it.

• Re: Winter's Howl - Weak?
          Mr_Spaceman

I used to think that aswell, until I got it on 'five' when in the pap room and the door opens if you fire the WH, 3-4 shots will absolutely destroy the hoard. So if you train them in a nice tight hoard, it can be quite effective. Personally though I think it's pretty pish compared to other WW's, plus it looks **** and the ammo capacity is crappy. Probably my least favourite...bar the jetgun.

Davelo07

Yeah, I was excited about using the Winter's Howl, just found it a bit of a let down. Given the ammo and power, it is nowhere near as useful as the ray gun.  I agree about technique, I was mainly hitting the zombies at the front. But for me, it was so weak after 25 that I was opting for the RPK. What round was 3-4 shots killing a hoard?

Mr_Spaceman

Pretty sure it was in the 20's mate, I may have been using the winters fury though tbh, I can't quite remember. My highest round on five is only 27, and only 18 on Verrukt so not too sure how powerful it would be in the 30's. Do you play Verrukt often? Love that map but can never find decent people to play with..

Davelo07

I may have been using the winters fury though tbh

That's what I'm wondering, if it's useless past 25 unless pack-a-punched. Haven't used the fury yet, so maybe it improves quite a bit when you pack it.

Verruckt is an awesome map. Only got BO1 recently, so play all the waw maps on a regular basis and trying to get into the BO1 maps (shangri-la and moon never seeem to have good lobbies). Always good for a game, I'm on xbox but don't have a mic at the mo. 4 player Verruckt there is a pretty decent camping strategy that's quite easy to use til mid 20's if you ever wanna try it.

Mr_Spaceman

Would that be the camping strategy in the MP40 corridor? Keeping the door to the STG closed? I only really get time for z's at the weekend these days cause games usually take so long. I am mic-less just now aswell cause I stood on it the other week. You can add me if you like though, my Xbox gt is ArabSpaceman, not one to bam off but I'm a decent player and NEVER leave a man down! I'm Scottish also so I'm on UK time zone.

Davelo07

Yeah that's the one. Just hold down that area and if you get overrun, use the trap. UK also so times shouldn't be a problem. I'll add you and then if you're on at the weekend or whenever, we can try and get a decent game on the go. That's what I love about the WAW maps, don't have to give up a whole evening to have a decent game.

boybad

It is not the gun but the user, not about how the gun performs but how do you actually use it?

I would shoot it then switch guns for kills as they freeze to conserve ammo rather then just plain spraying,

paralizer is a good example, that gun gets no kills but can be used very effective in high round strategy, shoot and trap or shoot and get your team to kill.

Davelo07

Yeah, it's a fair point. It was a thought I'd had but to be honest, I think that would work better with team mates, this was a solo run. I decided to use it as my path clearer. Always had the Winter's Howl equipped when running, then switched to ray gun for kills. Luckily, ammo never really became an issue.

This was my first time using the weapon, so it was just trial and error really. With team mates, freeze and kill would probably be quite effective. Am I using the weapon correctly though? In terms of kills, what round should it be effective to and how many shots per hoard? I just expected a bit more power from the weapon, paralyzer is a good comparison and that is disappointing.

boybad

Am I using the weapon correctly though?

I can not answer that, you have to be comfortable when using it lol comes down to personal preference.

I dont think using it as path clearance will be very effective or safe in high rounds, as you noticed it doesn't do much damage, what it does is freeze slowing them down so strategy needs to be formed around those factors. There is a lot of grate guns people underestimate because they dont know how to use them effectively or simply dislike them, DSR, War Machine just to name a few.

DeathBringer-Zen

There is a lot of grate guns people underestimate because they dont know how to use them effectively or simply dislike them, DSR, War Machine just to name a few

Completely agree with the DSR. It is a beast of a weapon right up until the late 50's, but ammo count is extremely low. Not sure what you are smoking though when you suggested the War Machine. lol. I have ran that packed and barely done any damage to hordes even in lower rounds like the 30's. It is decent, but not something I would take if I could get anything else better. Still... this was back in the Tranzit days and it could have been altered since then.

boybad

Yeah just used a few guns for example to show they need a specific strategy.

DSR indeed is a beast but as we know it, too slow on reload in early rounds compared to other guns not to mention you have to shoot a train to use it sufficiently, so i never usually grab it until mid 30's early 40's.

War Machine... yup i use to think it sux, and after round 30 it does suck. I had a game with a player who showed me how he was using it in this challenge...

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200788262

What happened is we all had AN, well as you do for unlimited ammo but PaP war machine was almost as good as mustang and sally, we basically didn't even have a chance to aim AN before he insta nuked the whole lot on one bullet with mustang and the underestimated war machine all the way to 30, it was really embarrassing yet funny and changed my opinion about war machine.

Mr_Spaceman

War machine is sh*t. Unless pap'd and it's instakill then it's amazing for like 30 secs..

hi! on origins i want the warmachine. :-) if i run behind the tank station (mato) and i got it without moving the box, i get an instakill almost every round. i can easy kill 60-100 zombies with it there cause they spawn in so fast. the higher the round the more you kill with it. thats saving up to 15 ice staff ammo almost every round. boomhilda for panzer, ice staff for waves, warmachine while insta kill. it speeds up the rounds and its a lot of fun :-) this is my opinion, no hate please - peace :-)

boybad

A Good Craftsman Never Blames His Tools.

Perfect example kalt, i personally would use symtex and claymores on insta kill and ditch this gun after 30.

I see what you did there with a box and firesale, i just dont like to rely on luck and this method will require a lot of it.

Davelo07

I can not answer that, you have to be comfortable when using it lol comes down to personal preference.

I may have worded that wrongly. What I'm asking is what I asked in my original question. Freezing capabilities aside, is this a weak WW in terms of kills, or is there some sort of technique that makes it more effective? How many shots at 25 would it take you to kill a hoard with the Winter's Howl (not upgraded)?

Jugg3naut510

I felt like the Winter's Howl is used only as a mean to buy time similar to the VR-11. Though it can be used as a weapon but won't give you good results

i think of this gun like monkeys, in that it can get you out of a pinch. that said, when using it to train, i use it like this: shoot 2 rounds to freeze them, switch and shoot with other gun for a while, then repeat. 2 shots is about what it takes for extreme slowing on high rounds and death on low rounds. however, i think its best like a monkey, so you can revive someone, escape being trapped, or securing a gun or perk. i'm not totally sure what the winter's fury does, but i believe it takes less shots to freeze zombies. HAPPY KILLING!

Megadog14

IMO the most effective way to use it is to freeze a train of zombies then switch to an explosive weapon and kill them all. If youre using it on its own, youre gonna have a bad time.

Davelo07

I was just trying to ascertain if it was any good as a stand alone weapon or if it's only function was to freeze/slow down. I think what fooled me is I've only seen others use it in public matches on quite early rounds and it looked like a beast of a weapon independently. I'll have to try the upgraded version, but seems a lot weaker and more limited than the paralyzer. Appreciate everyone's feedback and it seems pretty clear now that this isn't a weapon that's gonna rack up many kills past 20.

electricfuneralfire

The Winters Howl is more of a support gun. For example, on Verruckt, if you leave the door by Double Tap closed keep one person at the window, two up front racking headshots and as rounds get late keep the dude with the freeze gun for support. Its not a killing gun but it weakens the zombies enough to take a considerable load off of the dudes holding the front in late rounds.

Its really pretty good when you have a good team that knows what they are doing.

If your looking for a gun that smashes hoardes quick then the WH isnt it tho it will get you out of sticky situations. I consider it a camping tool rather than a train tool.

The bad thing about this gun is no one really knows how to use it. Even when its in the hands of someone who knows how to use it still goes to waste because the other teammates dont know how it works and how to take advantage of it.

farmerguy95

on a side note (I feel like the original question was answered) It would have been nice to get to use it on a different map where someone could really run around using it. Imagine if you could get it on CotD instead of the death machine or something. I mean why not make that level have 4 WWs?

Wrong section. this is Black Ops 2 section, and Verruckt was not on Black Ops 2, neither was the Winter's Howl. Please find correct section of forums next time.

matuzz

Great for Co-Op, not that good as solo weapon is my verdict on it. Using it to full extent takes some planning and teamwork.